Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Jets Game

(10-28-2019, 10:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 08:24 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: It is a good deal to be 4-4 and to look at things and realize the Rookie 6th round QB left points on the field.  I think the coaching staff will improve the play calling and situational play as we move along.  They are trying to protect the QB to a degree and are getting a little cutsie with some of the play calling.  Running a toss sweep is bizarre.

Minshew needs to tighten up on the fumbles but that comes down to the oline continuing to improve and them all growing together.  Darnold had a bad game and a lot had to do with our d-line.  I can't believe that they didn't attack our linebackers.  It is hard to win in the NFL, I am glad we won back to back games as well.  It is exciting to see team football and the penalties being cleaned up.

I give credit to the broadcast crew on their reviews.  They showed our zone working effectively on multiple sacks.  It was a pleasant surprise to see assignment football actually working and the 4 man rush getting home.

Running a toss sweep on second and goal from the 1 foot line, when the toss sweep hasn't worked all year, is pretty bizarre.  But Marrone, to his credit, took the blame for that in his press conference, and admitted it was a bad play call.

To be fair, they've been absolutely stuffed trying to send LF over the top at the goal line about 6 times this year, so I get the decision to mix it up at that point.  I'd have preferred some misdirection out of a 3 WR set to the toss, but I get why they tried something different. 

Fournette HAS actually found a crease with that play 3 or 4 times this season actually, but it remains a low percentage play for this offense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-28-2019, 10:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 10:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Running a toss sweep on second and goal from the 1 foot line, when the toss sweep hasn't worked all year, is pretty bizarre.  But Marrone, to his credit, took the blame for that in his press conference, and admitted it was a bad play call.

To be fair, they've been absolutely stuffed trying to send LF over the top at the goal line about 6 times this year, so I get the decision to mix it up at that point.  I'd have preferred some misdirection out of a 3 WR set to the toss, but I get why they tried something different. 

Fournette HAS actually found a crease with that play 3 or 4 times this season actually, but it remains a low percentage play for this offense.

I didn't see the coverage look at that play, but what if they had tricked it up and Fournette did a throw back to Minshew?  Was that even open?

Anyway we won the game and winning is really nice at this point.  It made me sad to see the Bears called the 2019 version of the Jaguars Sad
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-28-2019, 08:24 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: It is a good deal to be 4-4 and to look at things and realize the Rookie 6th round QB left points on the field.  I think the coaching staff will improve the play calling and situational play as we move along.  They are trying to protect the QB to a degree and are getting a little cutsie with some of the play calling.  Running a toss sweep is bizarre.

Minshew needs to tighten up on the fumbles but that comes down to the oline continuing to improve and them all growing together.  Darnold had a bad game and a lot had to do with our d-line.  I can't believe that they didn't attack our linebackers.  It is hard to win in the NFL, I am glad we won back to back games as well.  It is exciting to see team football and the penalties being cleaned up.

I give credit to the broadcast crew on their reviews.  They showed our zone working effectively on multiple sacks.  It was a pleasant surprise to see assignment football actually working and the 4 man rush getting home.

I've read multiple places where the red zone offense is often the last place where it 'comes together' for a QB.  I can handle that.  The fact that Minshew is flat out NOT LOSING games for us is something we can all breathe a sigh of relief at.  Losing a prize free agent QB less than 15 minutes into the season and thrusting a 6th round rookie into starting duty and having the kid get the team to 4-4 at the midway point and not just treading water while the defense is bailing us out IS impressive.  Did some slight digging and put together a small snap shot of the last 3 first round QBs we've had and their first 7 starts and Gardner's first 7 starts.

Byron: 6 TDs, 11 Picks, 6 Fumbles Lost. Record 2-5
Blaine: 6 TDs, 5 Picks, 2 Fumbles Lost. Record 2-5
Blake: 6 TDs, 12 Picks, 1 Fumble Lost. Record 1-6

Gardner: 11 TDs, 1 Pick, 5 Fumbles Lost. Record 4-3

Does he need to tighten up on ball security. Yes.  Does he need to work on red zone awareness. Sure.  Is he making plays to help the team win. Absolutely.  To get that kind of production out of a 6th rounder is INSANE.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(10-28-2019, 10:37 AM)NCJag Wrote:

I've read multiple places where the red zone offense is often the last place where it 'comes together' for a QB.  I can handle that.  The fact that Minshew is flat out NOT LOSING games for us is something we can all breathe a sigh of relief at.  Losing a prize free agent QB less than 15 minutes into the season and thrusting a 6th round rookie into starting duty and having the kid get the team to 4-4 at the midway point and not just treading water while the defense is bailing us out IS impressive.  Did some slight digging and put together a small snap shot of the last 3 first round QBs we've had and their first 7 starts and Gardner's first 7 starts.

Does he need to tighten up on ball security. Yes.  Does he need to work on red zone awareness. Sure.  Is he making plays to help the team win. Absolutely.  To get that kind of production out of a 6th rounder is INSANE.

Thats the part that blows me away with Minshew. He looks more ready than the top 10 QB's. In yesterdays game, which player looked like the #4 pick? Having the run game has helped but hes not surrounded with stars and hes not playing in a high powered O like the Chiefs, often its go make a play kid. And he keeps smashing those challenges.

Just think back to Kessler last year *shudder*

What I like most allot Gardner is his accuracy and drive to win. When he threw that 40 yard pass to Conley and Conley took it to the house. The expression is that true of a competitor not just a guy on the field.

(10-28-2019, 10:33 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 10:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: To be fair, they've been absolutely stuffed trying to send LF over the top at the goal line about 6 times this year, so I get the decision to mix it up at that point.  I'd have preferred some misdirection out of a 3 WR set to the toss, but I get why they tried something different. 

I didn't see the coverage look at that play, but what if they had tricked it up and Fournette did a throw back to Minshew?  Was that even open?

Anyway we won the game and winning is really nice at this point.  It made me sad to see the Bears called the 2019 version of the Jaguars Sad

Both teams were in goal line looks. There was no option for passing - TEs were blocking (sort of) and the mike LB just read the play well. 
Koyack,  DeValve and a pulling Cann didn't create a lane. Fournette could have maybe gotten close had he committed quickly to racing to the pylon, but no guarantees there.

(10-28-2019, 10:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Running a toss sweep on second and goal from the 1 foot line, when the toss sweep hasn't worked all year, is pretty bizarre.  But Marrone, to his credit, took the blame for that in his press conference, and admitted it was a bad play call.

Fournette got a half yard on 1st down running into a stacked line. I think he would have scored had the Jags just run the same play again. Had the Jags just run Fournette into the middle for no gain I would have won my fantasy game this week; I lost by 0.2 (i.e. two yards). So I was doubly miffed at the call. 

But a win is a win is a win.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(10-28-2019, 10:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 10:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Running a toss sweep on second and goal from the 1 foot line, when the toss sweep hasn't worked all year, is pretty bizarre.  But Marrone, to his credit, took the blame for that in his press conference, and admitted it was a bad play call.

You know what I want to see more in those situations? Put LF behind a fullback and send the fullback to a hole LF has zero intention of going to. Throws the defense off just long enough for him to get a head start towards the goal line.

Instead we keep doing these shifts where the fb goes to the line and Fournette moves up. I can't remember it working anytime other than the one time he made it over top but I'm pretty sure the tape is out on that play now, as it was tried again the very next game and there were like 6 defenders who jumped to meet him mid air. I don't think anybody including by mother in law was fooled by that play. I knew exactly what was coming as soon as the shift was made, which means the defense who actually studied that week obviously did too. 

Before this year the old school power I with two TEs and a fullback seemed to get Fournette into the end zone plenty. Why the heck has that been totally abandoned?

What’s happened with Koyack? I don’t recall him playing one snap yet.

(10-28-2019, 11:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: What’s happened with Koyack? I don’t recall him playing one snap yet.

He's playing a fair amount. Used as an inline blocker primarily. 
He had 43 snaps on offense prior to yesterday's game.

(10-28-2019, 11:01 AM)icey14 Wrote: What I like most allot Gardner is his accuracy and drive to win. When he threw that 40 yard pass to Conley and Conley took it to the house. The expression is that true of a competitor not just a guy on the field.

He is the real deal.....no other Jaguar's QB's have even come close.

(10-28-2019, 10:37 AM)NCJag Wrote: I've read multiple places where the red zone offense is often the last place where it 'comes together' for a QB.  I can handle that.  The fact that Minshew is flat out NOT LOSING games for us is something we can all breathe a sigh of relief at.  Losing a prize free agent QB less than 15 minutes into the season and thrusting a 6th round rookie into starting duty and having the kid get the team to 4-4 at the midway point and not just treading water while the defense is bailing us out IS impressive.  Did some slight digging and put together a small snap shot of the last 3 first round QBs we've had and their first 7 starts and Gardner's first 7 starts.

Not only INSANE ....completely unprecedented this day and age.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2019, 11:37 AM by JagFan81.)

Nice from Bouye

Bouye himself said the play came as a result of the Jaguars' secondary picking up on some tendencies from the Jets offense. So no ghosts, but instead a huge turnover when Jacksonville needed it. 

Oh yeah, I think it was the third down, in the second quarter. It was Demaryius Thomas and Jamison Crowder, they ran like a scissors concept and me and [Jarrod Wilson] went after the seven cut, and I told him ‘Yo, next time we see it, we’re not going to get it,'" Bouye said after the game. 

"So, that same play, they decided to push 17 [WR Vyncint Smith] out there – I knew him at Houston, he’s a speed guy – so, Dub tried the scissors and I told him ‘No, stay on it’ and as soon as I saw the ball in the air, I knew it was mine. So, it was a good play. We needed it. Great job on the offense scoring that drive.

I think I saw Calais helping with reading the O on a few plays, but I like that. Give Myles and the young guys as much help as you can.

(10-27-2019, 06:59 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: It was nice to be a dominant team even if it was the lowly Jetes. And that taunting flag pickup was garbage. If that was a Jags player they would have thrown three flags for good measure
How could they justify picking up that flag even after the refs threw the flag he continued to clap his hands for a considerable amount of time. Showing disrespect to the ref . Big Quddus to Leonard Fournette for showing the maturity of not responding to the taunting just shows how much she has matured this year

(10-28-2019, 07:29 AM)Rico Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 09:59 PM)Upper Wrote: Total of zero good players there, so ok. Virtually every other team in the league is playing us the worlds tiniest violin.

You're unbelievable.  Every silver lining has a dark cloud.

Umm, I was adding the silver lining to the dark cloud actually.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2019, 01:53 PM by RicoTx.)

(10-28-2019, 01:11 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 07:29 AM)Rico Wrote: You're unbelievable.  Every silver lining has a dark cloud.

Umm, I was adding the silver lining to the dark cloud actually.

In your world anyway...

Any reason you only quoted half my post?  Never mind...I know.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

The team has stuck together and rallied around each other, turning adversity into success on several fronts, the 2 most prominent being the emergence of Minshew when Foles was lost, and then surviving the loss of Ramsey and seeing that Herndon might be a real player instead of just an emergency stopgap. The team has also weathered a rash of injuries at OT early and LB recently, with some impressive performances by fill-in players. We've seen growth and maturity by some of the young players like Chark, Harrison, Bryan, Smoot, Fournette and others. I also think the locker room is more cohesive without Ramsey around and the team seems to have learned to stop beating itself. It would be great to see the team put together a magical run like the one in 1996.

(10-28-2019, 11:54 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 06:59 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: It was nice to be a dominant team even if it was the lowly Jetes. And that taunting flag pickup was garbage. If that was a Jags player they would have thrown three flags for good measure
How could they justify picking up that flag even after the refs threw the flag he continued to clap his hands for a considerable amount of time. Showing disrespect to the ref . Big Quddus to Leonard Fournette for showing the maturity of not responding to the taunting just shows how much she has matured this year

In all honesty I think the ref had some preconception going on and tossed the flag as soon as Fournette got up and headed right to ol' clap clap. I don't think the ref was concerned at all with what the Jet was doing. Once they saw that Len did nothing but laugh him off, they picked up the flag.

still a bunch of BS

(10-27-2019, 06:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: My apologies to the board for not posting last week.  I was just flat out exhausted, and caught myself nodding during last week's game.

1.  The old axiom begins "Offense sells tickets..." but I tell you, few things in football get me more stoked than a dominant performance by the defensive line.  The front shut down the run and notched EIGHT (8) sacks of Jets QB Sam Darnold.  Seeing our defense oppress opposing QBs like that always puts a smile on my face.  You can say what you want about the Jaguars going against a depleted Jets' OL, but neither the Jaguars nor we fans should offer any apologies for that.  First off, there have been plenty of sad times in our history where we've gone against depleted units on the opposing team and not only failed to exploit it, but fat out lost (thinking of 0-41 loss at Seattle missing their Ts, thinking of a 2004 loss to tacks at home with a depleted secondary, among others).  Furthermore, there were no asterisks placed next to any of our losses when we languished with a depleted OL last year.  Finally, to be honest this is the kind of performance we have grown to expect ( or at least believe the team is capable of) this sort of performance from the front since 2017.  I only hope this continues the second half of the season.

2.  While Fournette is having a strong rebound year and got off to a great start today, his final numbers overall were disappointing.  I don't attribtue that to him, though.  In too many instances, the blocking failed him.  That toss inside the 5 yard line was a horrible call.  They should have tried to run it down their throat.  With an offense like ours, with a power back like Fournette, he shouldn't have Barry Sanderesque carries of -2, -4, 65, -3, 0.  Fournette's rushes should be far more consistent:  4, 5, 3, 6, 4, 4, etc.  If this team is to ascend to the postseason, the running game has to be more consistently productive, especially in short yardage or inside the red zone.  BTW, kudos to LF for keeping his cool when that Jets' DB taunted him.  I was not happy when they picked up that flag.

3.  Kudos to Tre Herndon for getting his first two INTs of his career.  He has played pretty decently since he became the starter.  But he hasn't played against a WR like Hopkins yet.  he will have to step up his game next week and down the stretch.

4.  This is a banged up team.  We need a lot of guys to get well soon.  Hopefully Harrison, Lee, Westbrook, et al are okay.

5.  Although that TE Griffin (?) gave me horrible flashbacks to the days where we seemed allergic to covering the TE, all things considered, I thought the LBs held up well.  Now part of that is the Jets inexplicably not trying to run as much.  Part of that is due to the D-Line pressuring Darnold.  But when the Jets ran the ball, the LBs were there to fill the holes.  That said, we need our guys healthy.

6.  Surprised that Lambo missed that extra point, but good to see him return to form the rest of the day.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Josh Allen-continued his hot play, notching his first two sack game as a pro, and could have had a 3rd on the play where Smoot (also having a career year) notched a sack.  Also had a forced fumble.  This is the reason this board was virtually unanimous in excitement when Allen was announced as our pick.
  • Jawaan Taylor-may have had his best game as a pro.  I don't recall any penalties or sacks given up by him, though I have to go back and watch the game to be sure.  As I think about it, he may have given up the hit that caused Minshew to lose the fumble.  I would still like to see him dominate in the running game.
  • Josh Oliver-Glad to finally get to type this, but he recorded his first career reception inside the 5, and held on despite a hard helmet to helmet hit.  That should help make Minshew a little more confident in him.  Hopefully he will continue to earn his confidence.
  • Quincy Williams-DNP due to injury
  • Ryquell Armstead, IIRC he had about three carries or so, the first came immediately after Fournette's 66 yard run, and the remainder late in the game after that horrible toss to Fournette.
  • Gardner Minshew-Probably had his best game as a pro, decimating the Jets' secondary for 3 TDs and 0 INTs.  Though he is not the fastest, he not only has the nack for the timely scramble, he again demonstrated the uncanny knack of making people miss in the phone booth, biding him that extra second to make a play.  He did that on two of his TDs-the first to Conley and later on the score to Chark.  He needs to protect the ball better (and for that matter he needs to be protected better by the line), but without question he is all that we could possibly ask for given his position in the draft.
  • Dontavious Russell-DNP
  • Wingard-Did not see him.
8.  After years of startling ineptitude at the position, health aside, I am happy with where the WRs are.  Chark and Conley continue to make big plays, both catching TDs today.  Even Keelan Cole, who seemingly became persona non grata for many Jaguars fans over the course of the last year, contributed another TD, his second in the last two weeks.

9.  Bottom line-For us to be 4-4 with our starting QB missing all but the first quarter of the first game, and our backup being a rookie 6th rounder, I am thrilled.  We are very much alive for post season contention and the division title, with two games against the Colts on the horizon.  There are still some areas we need to improve, most notably in the offensive line, but when both sides of the ball are playing to capability. there are few teams against which we would not be competitive.  Though I had a sick feeling in my stomach after the KC game, I eagerly await the second half of the season.  Credit goes to the entire organization.  The FO gets kudos for bringing in guys like Allen, Minshew, Chark, Conley who are productive now.  Credit is also due to the coaching staff, who has kept this team relevant in the face of much adversity, utilizing the players to maximize their productivity.  Finally, to the players who have matured quickly yo be productive and who haven't quit.

Couple of points of correction:

Josh Allen had his SECOND 2 sack game.  His first came against the tacks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

At the time, I was surprised by the flag being picked up on the taunting. I've re-watched the video. Clapping by itself isn't taunting. Players clap all the time after big plays. The argument is that the Jets player was clapping too close to Fournette's face. It happens fast, but I think the problem is that Fournette walks closer to him. Fournette can't complain about the closeness of the clapping if he walked towards the clapping. I think that's why they picked up the flag.

My problem is that the refs ignored that defender tackling Fournette, then pulling him by his leg well after he hit the ground. I assumed the call would be a personal foul. Then I saw Fournette stand up and get in the guy's face, and thought, don't ruin it. When I saw the guy clapping in Fournette's face, with no reaction from LF, I thought for sure the call would go against the Jets. When I saw it was a no call, I realized the ref was assuming LF was going to start some mess with the defender.

Is what it is, I guess. The good news is that Fournette showed discipline. The bad news is that is shows why there is a bias with the NFL refs. I am hoping this team begins turning around it's brash, arrogant image and starts getting the benefit of the doubt.