Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Jets Game

(10-28-2019, 10:01 PM)Last42min Wrote: My problem is that the refs ignored that defender tackling Fournette, then pulling him by his leg well after he hit the ground. I assumed the call would be a personal foul. Then I saw Fournette stand up and get in the guy's face, and thought, don't ruin it. When I saw the guy clapping in Fournette's face, with no reaction from LF, I thought for sure the call would go against the Jets. When I saw it was a no call, I realized the ref was assuming LF was going to start some mess with the defender.

Is what it is, I guess. The good news is that Fournette showed discipline. The bad news is that is shows why there is a bias with the NFL refs. I am hoping this team begins turning around it's brash, arrogant image and starts getting the benefit of the doubt.
That's how I saw it as well. The refs are ruining this game. We're not the only fanbase tired of seeing this type of [BLEEP] though.

Detroit was robbed of a win over Green Bay a few weeks ago over two really bad calls on defense.

And I think Arians had some choice words during their loss to the tacks. Gruden was also screwed over in his loss to the tinhorns.

In fairness though. Adams gave our offense 30 free yards late in the game which the refs fairly caught for our team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I thought that officiating crew treated us very fairly overall, especially compared to our typical treatment.

(10-27-2019, 09:28 PM)Upper Wrote: I had forgotten about Dareus which is significant, but of course severity compared to other teams has everything to do with it. Every team is always dealing with a lot of injuries, and ours have been pretty mild comparatively.

What you dont understand is an injury for us is much more crippling than other teams because we dont have depth like a lot of other teams.  That was shown in the preseason, as we were the worst team in the league with our 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Dave Caldwell

(11-04-2019, 09:47 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 09:28 PM)Upper Wrote: I had forgotten about Dareus which is significant, but of course severity compared to other teams has everything to do with it. Every team is always dealing with a lot of injuries, and ours have been pretty mild comparatively.

What you dont understand is an injury for us is much more crippling than other teams because we dont have depth like a lot of other teams.  That was shown in the preseason, as we were the worst team in the league with our 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Dave Caldwell
How many teams do you think run 4 and 5 players deep at each position?

Very few teams, if any, have the type of depth you're referring to.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2019, 08:43 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-04-2019, 12:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 09:47 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What you dont understand is an injury for us is much more crippling than other teams because we dont have depth like a lot of other teams.  That was shown in the preseason, as we were the worst team in the league with our 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Dave Caldwell
How many teams do you think run 4 and 5 players deep at each position?

Where did you get teams run 4 or 5 players deep at each position from?   It doesnt surprise me that you are lost again or that you didnt watch the preseason.  Some teams have serviceable depth and can live through injuries, outside of QB we do not.  Something 99% knew, other than you. After watching our 2nd and 3rd stringers be the worst in the league in preseason stat wise, looking like trash for the most part, and going 0-4.  A few injuries will cripple this team while other teams can still win and make it through it.

(11-04-2019, 09:47 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

(11-05-2019, 08:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 12:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: How many teams do you think run 4 and 5 players deep at each position?

Where did you get teams run 4 or 5 players deep at each position from?   It doesnt surprise me that you are lost again or that you didnt watch the preseason.  Some teams have serviceable depth and can live through injuries, outside of QB we do not.  Something 99% knew, other than you, after watching our 2nd and 3rd stringers be the worst in the league in preseason stat wise, looking like trash for the most part, and going 0-4.  A few injuries will cripple this team while other teams can still win and make it through it.

Basing the depth on preseason records is dubious.

Minshew was QB for most of the time suring the preseason.

Is he the worst backup QB in the league?

Would I like better depth? Of course.

But I think our depth deserves more credit. Smoot is clearly a backup but he has played well so far this year. He is tied 26th in sacks among D Linemen league wide. Richardson has given us pretty good snaps rotating in at G.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-05-2019, 08:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 09:47 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What you dont understand is an injury for us is much more crippling than other teams because we dont have depth like a lot of other teams.  That was shown in the preseason, as we were the worst team in the league with our 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Dave Caldwell

(11-05-2019, 08:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Where did you get teams run 4 or 5 players deep at each position from?   It doesnt surprise me that you are lost again or that you didnt watch the preseason.  Some teams have serviceable depth and can live through injuries, outside of QB we do not.  Something 99% knew, other than you, after watching our 2nd and 3rd stringers be the worst in the league in preseason stat wise, looking like trash for the most part, and going 0-4.  A few injuries will cripple this team while other teams can still win and make it through it.

Would I like better depth?  Of course.

But I think our depth deserves more credit.  Smoot is clearly a backup but he has played well so far this year.  He is tied 26th in sacks among D Linemen league wide.   Richardson has given us pretty good snaps rotating in at G.

Absolutely...how many games are you going to see an entire 2nd string team or an entire third string team in at the same time?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-05-2019, 08:54 AM)Rico Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Basing the depth on preseason records is dubious.

But I think our depth deserves more credit.  Smoot is clearly a backup but he has played well so far this year.  He is tied 26th in sacks among D Linemen league wide.   Richardson has given us pretty good snaps rotating in at G.

Absolutely...how many games are you going to see an entire 2nd string team or an entire third string team in at the same time?
Exactly.

Truth be told we damn near had that on offense the second half of last year.

Four of five OL finished the year on IR.

Bortles benched.

Fournette hurt.

Lee hurt.

ASJ hurt/

That's 8/11 starters on offense not playing.

(11-05-2019, 08:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Where did you get teams run 4 or 5 players deep at each position from?   It doesnt surprise me that you are lost again or that you didnt watch the preseason.  Some teams have serviceable depth and can live through injuries, outside of QB we do not.  Something 99% knew, other than you, after watching our 2nd and 3rd stringers be the worst in the league in preseason stat wise, looking like trash for the most part, and going 0-4.  A few injuries will cripple this team while other teams can still win and make it through it.

I mean, you're responding to a guy that said we don't miss Ramsey at all because Herndon is so good, but then turned around to bemoan our depth as the worst in the league, so... 

I'd make use of the accompanying mountain of salt. 

Herndon, Minshew, Richardson, Keelan Cole, Seth DeValve, Shatley (2018 at C) , Smoot, and Andrew Wingard have all performed well coming off the bench. 

In addition to those, you have Armstead who the past few weeks looks really good catching the ball and should earn more snaps doing so plus you have a de facto starter in Wilson who got the job as a promoted depth player. Similar scenario with Taven Bryan who went form 30% of snaps to 60+% and has performed well. 

I think we are seeing lack of talent at LB and NT negatively affecting our run defense right now and some fans may be projecting that around the roster when many other positions aren't actually in very bad shape.

(11-05-2019, 09:07 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Basing the depth on preseason records is dubious.

I mean, you're responding to a guy that said we don't miss Ramsey at all because Herndon is so good, but then turned around to bemoan our depth as the worst in the league, so... 

Herndon, Minshew, Richardson, Keelan Cole, Seth DeValve, Shatley (2018 at C) , Smoot, and Andrew Wingard have all performed well coming off the bench. 

In addition to those, you have Armstead who the past few weeks looks really good catching the ball and should earn more snaps doing so plus you have a de facto starter in Wilson who got the job as a promoted depth player. Similar scenario with Taven Bryan who went form 30% of snaps to 60+% and has performed well. 

I think we are seeing lack of talent at LB and NT negatively affecting our run game right now and some fans may be projecting that around the roster when many other positions aren't actually in very bad shape.
There it is!

I think Armstead's recent performance catching passes out of the backfield is encouraging to me, considering how often I saw him bobble routine passes out of the backfield in the preseason.

Cole has two TDs and is becoming a bigger part of the offense out of necessity.  If he can return to the level of performance he showed his rookie year or improve upon that, it could be huge.

I think the bye has come at a good time for us.  Hopefully we can get some guys healthy.

(11-05-2019, 09:05 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:54 AM)Rico Wrote: Absolutely...how many games are you going to see an entire 2nd string team or an entire third string team in at the same time?
Exactly.

Bortles benched.

Fournette hurt.

Lee hurt.

ASJ hurt/

Yep, and there isn't a team in the league that will survive that.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-05-2019, 08:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 12:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: How many teams do you think run 4 and 5 players deep at each position?

Where did you get teams run 4 or 5 players deep at each position from?   It doesnt surprise me that you are lost again or that you didnt watch the preseason.  Some teams have serviceable depth and can live through injuries, outside of QB we do not.  Something 99% knew, other than you.  After watching our 2nd and 3rd stringers be the worst in the league in preseason stat wise, looking like trash for the most part, and going 0-4.  A few injuries will cripple this team while other teams can still win and make it through it.
hahahaha 

And you think I'm the one not understanding? No team has great depth and you're clueless if you believe they do. What teams DO have is great coaching that helps mask their teams weaknesses.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2019, 10:41 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

You must of missed the part where I said other than QB.  I'll say dline as well.  Other than that this team has no depth.  It's not only preseason, it shows in the regular season as well.  This team has no depth compared to the rest of the league.  So it was coaching why our team had the worst team in the preseason?

(11-05-2019, 09:07 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I think we are seeing lack of talent at LB and NT negatively affecting our run defense right now and some fans may be projecting that around the roster when many other positions aren't actually in very bad shape.

The worst part about losing Ramsey is it hurt our one good player we had at depth at corner who is now a decent starter and getting better

(11-05-2019, 09:05 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:54 AM)Rico Wrote: Absolutely...how many games are you going to see an entire 2nd string team or an entire third string team in at the same time?
Exactly.

Bortles benched.

Fournette hurt.

Lee hurt.

ASJ hurt/

That was last year.  We are talking about this year.

how many teams have quality depth at Oline, TE, S? Almost nobody

Compared to the rest of the league we are bottom tier when you look at our depth/ 2nd and 3rd stringers. Why we were getting destroyed in the preseason. Some teams you can plug and play, next man up. You cant do the with this team, Dave has left us with bottom of the league depth on this roster.

(11-05-2019, 10:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Compared to the rest of the league we are bottom tier when you look at our depth/ 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Why we were getting destroyed in the preseason.  Some teams you can plug and play, next man up.  You cant do the with this team, Dave has left us with bottom of the league depth on this roster.

Atta boy, dig in!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-05-2019, 10:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Compared to the rest of the league we are bottom tier when you look at our depth/ 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Why we were getting destroyed in the preseason.  Some teams you can plug and play, next man up.  You cant do the with this team, Dave has left us with bottom of the league depth on this roster.

Preseason is meaningless and has had no bearing on this season.   

Is our depth quality? No, but thats the same for 90% of the league.  

Most 2nd and 3rd stringers are bad players who are negatives on the field...good coaching can minimize how negative they are + you can get the odd few diamonds in the rough who look like good players. 

If you polled 32 other fanbases about depth they'd tell you they have no depth at most position groups

(11-05-2019, 10:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

You must of missed the part where I said other than QB.  I'll say dline as well.  Other than that this team has no depth.  It's not only preseason, it shows in the regular season as well.  This team has no depth compared to the rest of the league.  So it was coaching why our team had the worst team in the preseason?

(11-05-2019, 09:07 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I mean, you're responding to a guy that said we don't miss Ramsey at all because Herndon is so good, but then turned around to bemoan our depth as the worst in the league, so... 

The worst part about losing Ramsey is it hurt our one good player we had at depth at corner who is now a decent starter and getting better

(11-05-2019, 09:05 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Exactly.

Bortles benched.

Fournette hurt.

Lee hurt.

ASJ hurt/

Yeah I missed it.  Doesn't change your analysis, which is illogical.

If you are basing the evaluation of the Jaguars depth on preseason games, what is the basis for excluding Minshew.

The offense was far from the Greatest Show on Turf Rams when he was in the game in preseason.

As far those guys being down last year not this year, that's a distinction with little difference in the scheme of things, aside from being besides my point (though in fairness, my post on 8/11 missing offensive players was a tangent).

How much quality depth can a team realistically hope to acquire in one offseason?  Think about your answer.

Do me a favor to help prove your point to all of us who apparently aren't familiar with all the depth these other rosters have.

Show me the teams that have this great depth at Oline, Dline, TE, LB and CB....

Your basing this "other teams have depth and we don't" type thing on nothing.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2019, 11:14 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-05-2019, 10:59 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 10:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You must of missed the part where I said other than QB.  I'll say dline as well.  Other than that this team has no depth.  It's not only preseason, it shows in the regular season as well.  This team has no depth compared to the rest of the league.  So it was coaching why our team had the worst team in the preseason?

Yeah I missed it.  Doesn't change your analysis, which is illogical.

If you are basing the evaluation of the Jaguars depth on preseason games, what is the basis for excluding Minshew.

The offense was far from the Greatest Show on Turf Rams when he was in the game in preseason.

As far those guys being down last year not this year, that's a distinction with little difference in the scheme of things, aside from being besides my point (though in fairness, my post on 8/11 missing offensive players was a tangent).

How much quality depth can a team realistically hope to acquire in one offseason?  Think about your answer.
Last year we actually had depth but we just had to many injuries.  This year 1 or 2 injuries can cripple this team.  TE is 1 OT is another, if we lose Fournette we are are in big trouble regardless what you feel about Armstead.  If we lose Jack we might not even win another game. If we lose a safety we are in big trouble as well as corner.

(11-05-2019, 11:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
Do me a favor to help prove your point to all of us who apparently aren't familiar with all the depth these other rosters have.

Show me the teams that have this great depth at Oline, Dline, TE, LB and CB....

Your basing this "other teams have depth and we don't" type thing on nothing.
Texans are cruising with multiple injuries, as  the Panthers and quite a few other teams.  There are teams winning a bunch of games around the league with more injuries than us but its next man up, we dont have that luxury