Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles To Start Jaguars Game @ Colts On Nov. 17

(11-06-2019, 10:02 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 07:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I find it odd how invested folks are in this QB decision. What impact will it really have? 

Given the state of our roster right now and the performances the entire team has turned in, neither of these QBs is good enough to overcome the overall deficiencies.

Backdooring our way into the playoffs would be a minor miracle with either guy and actually winning a postseason game would be nothing short of divine intervention.

That’s the frustrating part; if you’re paying a QB 88 million dollars, he better be the kind that *can* overcome those deficiencies.

There are only a small handful of those quarterbacks in existence. Aside from the ones still on rookie contracts, they are all making more than Nick Foles. Foles contract was what the market bared for a an upper-mid-tier journeyman with recent success. It was basically somewhere between similar mid tier journeyman contracts that happened recently with Cousins and Keenum a couple of years ago. It had precedent and did not dictate or mandate some elite level performance from the QB. 

If they were signing a sure fire, overcome-roster-problems guy, then they'd be paying what teams have recently paid guys like Wilson, Ryan, Rodgers and Stafford.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I just value rookie development more than I value the small chance Foles at QB amounts to anything.

I'm also well aware the HC has views counter to that due to job security.

(11-06-2019, 10:30 AM)JackCity Wrote: I just value rookie development more than I value the small chance Foles at QB amounts to anything.  

A part of me wants to see what Foles has but my gut feeling says that he is no where near as good as minshew.

(11-06-2019, 10:30 AM)JackCity Wrote: I just value rookie development more than I value the small chance Foles at QB amounts to anything.  

I think we had a great episode of rookie development that has shifted to the sidelines at the perfect time for him to reflect and learn rather than to create bad habits. 

Given Minshew's current level of play - it's likely just a lateral move at worst to start Foles. 
 If Foles stinks it up for 3 games, we may see the type of rookie development you would prefer again.  But it's not like we were going to the playoffs on an offense based on developing a rookie - replete with the accompanying rookie mistakes.

(11-05-2019, 11:46 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 07:33 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Foles is worse than all those guys.

Not even. How do you figure? Are you trolling?

They were actual franchise QBs for 5-10 years.

Foles was never a franchise QB for anyone.

I just don't get this job security thing.  If winning is job security, well yeah.  They brought in Foles to be the starter.  Minshew played well in some games and not so good in a few others.  If they still feel they have a shot at making the playoffs...and there is a slim chance that they can...you go with your starter.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-06-2019, 10:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I think we had a great episode of rookie development that has shifted to the sidelines at the perfect time for him to reflect and learn rather than to create bad habits. 

Given Minshew's current level of play - it's likely just a lateral move at worst to start Foles. 
 If Foles stinks it up for 3 games, we may see the type of rookie development you would prefer again.  But it's not like we were going to the playoffs on an offense based on developing a rookie - replete with the accompanying rookie mistakes.

Agree it is a misconception that he won't develop on the sidelines.  He has limitations and a baseline that can work in the NFL.  He is only limited by how hard he will work and how much the team will work around him.  We have a very young offense that has inexperience at the skill positions.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We don't realize how fortunate we are to be having this conversation. This time last year, we were debating if Kessler or Bortles should start.

(11-06-2019, 10:55 AM)Rico Wrote:

I just don't get this job security thing.  If winning is job security, well yeah.  They brought in Foles to be the starter.  Minshew played well in some games and not so good in a few others.  If they still feel they have a shot at making the playoffs...and there is a slim chance that they can...you go with your starter.

Mr. Bologna knows this is his last year as HC... and he thinks Nick Foles can save his job.

Fans are so fickle, and want to change course at every whim.

We hired Foles to get us over the hump. Most of us felt we were being held back by bad QB play. Why not give Foles a chance to do what he was hired to do?

We're 4-5. We have winnable games coming up. In 1995, we were 4-7 and went all the way to the AFC Championship Game.

(11-06-2019, 11:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Fans are so fickle, and want to change course at every whim.

We hired Foles to get us over the hump.  Most of us felt we were being held back by bad QB play.  Why not give Foles a chance to do what he was hired to do?  

We're 4-5.  We have winnable games coming up.  In 1995, we were 4-7 and went all the way to the AFC Championship Game.

The perspective of a fan capable of deep breaths and reason  ^ 

(I don't think we're quite built like that 96* team right now, but it's a reasonable perspective nonetheless)

(11-06-2019, 10:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I prefer to continue the development on the field with a soft back half of the season defense wise and hopefully go into 2020 with our sure fire starter. Especially with two weeks to get the offense right , also I think I heard either Boselli or Lags say he had an injury on Sunday but haven't seen it anywhere else.

We aren't going to the playoffs either way imo so letting the rookie continue as he's earned makes more long term sense for me. Although I can also understand the HC view and wanting to know what you have in Foles after trying yourself down for more than one year with a lot of money

(11-06-2019, 11:35 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think we had a great episode of rookie development that has shifted to the sidelines at the perfect time for him to reflect and learn rather than to create bad habits. 

I prefer to continue the development on the field with a soft back half of the season defense wise and hopefully go into 2020 with our sure fire starter. Especially with two weeks to get the offense right , also I think I heard either Boselli or Lags say he had an injury on Sunday but haven't seen it anywhere else.

We aren't going to the playoffs either way imo so letting the rookie continue as he's earned makes more long term sense for me. Although I can also understand the HC view and wanting to know what you have in Foles after trying yourself down for more than one year with a lot of money
This is where I agree. Minshew held his own against really good pass defenses (Carolina and Denver). I would have liked to see him get a shot against TB, Atlanta and Oakland. 

I hope Foles goes 5-2 here on out because if not, playing Minshew would have been much better for the long term development of this offense.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 12:38 PM by Brett.)

Like I've stated before, I think it's the right move to make. Oehser summed it up very well this morning:

The Jaguars signed Foles as an unrestricted free agent in March. You don’t play him because of that money, but you do play him because you believed in something about him enough to pay him that money. You don’t abandon that because he sustained a Week 1 injury.

(11-06-2019, 11:35 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think we had a great episode of rookie development that has shifted to the sidelines at the perfect time for him to reflect and learn rather than to create bad habits. 

These next few games are definitely winnable if our D doesnt get gashed as in the past this year and if the offense comes to play.  Foles was signed to win so this should be a piece of cake if he's worth any salt.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 12:50 PM by jg77.)

Hard to believe they threw extra money at Foles because they thought he deserved to be paid like a franchise QB when we were the only market for him. Smh. That upsets me more than the Foles vs Minshew stuff.

Neither QB has beaten an opponent with a winning record. Playoffs are a longshot at this point, but win the next 2 and it might be a different story.
I like our chances better with Foles, and he has orchestrated that kind of late season run before.

(11-06-2019, 12:50 PM)jg77 Wrote: Hard to believe they threw extra money at Foles because they thought he deserved to be paid like a franchise QB when we were the only market for him.  Smh. That upsets me more than the Foles vs Minshew stuff.

That's been debunked since the day after he signed. Several teams were in on him.

You can let that go now.

(11-06-2019, 12:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:50 PM)jg77 Wrote: Hard to believe they threw extra money at Foles because they thought he deserved to be paid like a franchise QB when we were the only market for him.  Smh. That upsets me more than the Foles vs Minshew stuff.

That's been debunked since the day after he signed. Several teams were in on him.

You can let that go now.

Proof?

(11-06-2019, 12:57 PM)jg77 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: That's been debunked since the day after he signed. Several teams were in on him.

You can let that go now.

Proof?

He was directly asked about it in his first presser as a Jag and went on to explain why he and his wife chose Jacksonville over other options that were on the table. 
 It's not a secret and I'm frankly surprised you are still unaware.