Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles To Start Jaguars Game @ Colts On Nov. 17

(11-05-2019, 07:33 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 07:32 PM)billwade Wrote: I agree. Minshew mania is delusional. His stats have steadily declined as opposing teams get film on him. No one on the planet prepared for him, and the only reference was that weird offense Leach runs in college. Now that DCs are starting to understand his tendencies, he'll have a lot less success going forward. Meanwhile, the Jags have a proven SB MVP on their roster who took over a team last year with a losing record (just like the Jags with Minshew at QB) and took them to the playoffs and won a game. It's puzzling to me that this is even a discussion. Foles is not like Dalton or Flacco or those other retreads. He's 30 and entering the prime of his career as a QB. He has at least 5 productive years left in him.

Foles is worse than all those guys.

Haha. Yeah, right...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2019, 07:55 PM by Brett.)

Wow, a lot of negative responses here about Foles taking the job back. I understand the negativity but man.

It's not an easy decision but I think it's the right call.

I don't have a problem with the decision.  I don't think that it has anything to do with the coach "saving his butt" or any of that.

Nick Foles was brought in to be the starting QB not just for this season, but for the next few seasons at least.

The backup position prior to this season was a big question and many (including myself) questioned why they didn't bring someone else in.  Prior to the season I would have thought that at best Minshew might be on the practice squad.  Obviously the coaching staff (the people that actually do this for a living and know more than the message board armchair coaches) saw something more and took the risk of placing Minshew on the final 53.

I don't think that many would have predicted that the 6th round "project" would be so good.  In fact, people were "up in arms" over the decision and there are many that still want to fire the coaching staff and the whole front office, yet many of those same people would probably say that the front office and coaching staff were "brilliant" to make a 6th round pick the primary backup.

My point is, Nick Foles is a veteran with plenty of experience.  He was brought here to be THE starting QB for the next few years, that's why he got the contract that he did.  Do I agree with that position?  Not really.  Gardner Minshew is a 6th round draft pick and a rookie.  He made the team as a backup QB and performed well.  He is going back to the position that he filled when the season started.  The team is going back to the quarterback that they acquired via free agency to be THE starter for the next few years.

Though it's not "popular" I think that it's the right thing to do at this point.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-05-2019, 07:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't have a problem with the decision.  I don't think that it has anything to do with the coach "saving his butt" or any of that.

Nick Foles was brought in to be the starting QB not just for this season, but for the next few seasons at least.

The backup position prior to this season was a big question and many (including myself) questioned why they didn't bring someone else in.  Prior to the season I would have thought that at best Minshew might be on the practice squad.  Obviously the coaching staff (the people that actually do this for a living and know more than the message board armchair coaches) saw something more and took the risk of placing Minshew on the final 53.

I don't think that many would have predicted that the 6th round "project" would be so good.  In fact, people were "up in arms" over the decision and there are many that still want to fire the coaching staff and the whole front office, yet many of those same people would probably say that the front office and coaching staff were "brilliant" to make a 6th round pick the primary backup.

My point is, Nick Foles is a veteran with plenty of experience.  He was brought here to be THE starting QB for the next few years, that's why he got the contract that he did.  Do I agree with that position?  Not really.  Gardner Minshew is a 6th round draft pick and a rookie.  He made the team as a backup QB and performed well.  He is going back to the position that he filled when the season started.  The team is going back to the quarterback that they acquired via free agency to be THE starter for the next few years.

Though it's not "popular" I think that it's the right thing to do at this point.
He was brought in to be the starter. Correct. So why did the Seahawks start a rookie in Russel Wilson instead of Matt Flynn who they paid to be the starter?

Sometimes your plans change. This move is 100% to save the coaches jobs and it’s pretty obvious. Marrone can’t afford to have rookie games like the one Minshew had EVEN if those bad rookie games will help Minshew in the future.

Minshew looks promising, but there’s no denying we had some major red zone issues with him. Not all his fault, but I’m fine with Foles getting a shot for now. If Foles looks average and were eliminated from the playoffs I’m all for reinserting Minshew for the reps.

Side note, was thinking about who to compare Minshew to. Anyone thinking a poor mans Russel Wilson? Not as strong an arm or as fast but very similar body type and playing style. Will have to compare his stats with Wilson’s rookie year when I get a chance.

I don't know about saving their jobs. If they lose now they are toast.

We have an iffy oline and just benched the guy who can make plays outside the pocket as well as in it.

They may have just got themselves sacked

(11-05-2019, 08:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 07:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't have a problem with the decision.  I don't think that it has anything to do with the coach "saving his butt" or any of that.

He was brought in to be the starter. Correct. So why did the Seahawks start a rookie in Russel Wilson instead of Matt Flynn who they paid to be the starter?

Sometimes your plans change. This move is 100% to save the coaches jobs and it’s pretty obvious. Marrone can’t afford to have rookie games like the one Minshew had EVEN if those bad rookie games will help Minshew in the future.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

If this move is to "save the coaches jobs" do you really think that they are going to start inferior players?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-05-2019, 08:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: He was brought in to be the starter. Correct. So why did the Seahawks start a rookie in Russel Wilson instead of Matt Flynn who they paid to be the starter?

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

If this move is to "save the coaches jobs" do you really think that they are going to start inferior players?
Not sure what the first part has to do with my response to you but ok.

I think the coaches believe they need to win now in order to save their jobs. They could play the young kid who also gives them a chance to win (went 4-4 as a starter) but it would also allow Gardner the chance to develop. The best thing for this franchise is to finally find a franchise QB to build around. Is that Minshew? Who knows but having him play the rest of the games will help you find out faster than watching him hold a clipboard.

I believe that if the coaches weren’t on the hotseat, Minshew would still be the starter.

not everyone put doug on the hot seat because jags are loseing this season. someone here had doug oon the hot seat since jags hired him.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

This was inevitable. I'm ready to see what Foles can do with the offense.

I'm not a big Marrone guy but his deciding to do this and announce it so quickly was the right thing to do instead of dragging it out for 10 days or so.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(11-05-2019, 09:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This was inevitable. I'm ready to see what Foles can do with the offense.
For better or for worse, I’m ready to see what he can do too.

This coaching staff has zero excuses now, they better win out.

The truth is we know little to nothing of how good or bad Foles will be in a Jaguars jersey. He played very little in the preseason and 2 drives (1 long td beauty) in the regular season. Let's see...
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(11-05-2019, 03:13 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 03:10 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Returning my minshew jersey. Was fun while it lasted boys.

I wouldn’t do that just yet.

You’ll need it in two weeks after Cann whiffs on another block and a DT crushes Foles again.

My thoughts exactly

(11-05-2019, 07:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Nick Foles does nothing exciting... so... be ready for the most vanilla basic play calling there is.

I'm not saying he's bad... but he's not exciting.

Drop back, pass for 7... drop back, get destroyed... drop back, get destroyed, 14 yard pass.

That's weird.... I know it was while back but...on the play Foles got hurt..... didn't he throw like a 40-yard bomb to the back of the endzone... A throw that was placed perfectly into the receiver's hands.... Play was pretty exciting in my eyes... I remember saying holy crap we have our quarterback.... And the year he went to the super bowl and punched the Pats in the face... Or even how he got to that super bowl... I thought was pretty exciting.... I don't know maybe you're watching and different Foles... Maybe have him confused with somebody else... just saying

More of this minus the injury please...

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

What's with the Foles hate? We all love Minshew but that doesn't mean Foles has to be bad. He did ok in the short time he played, that TD pass he got injured on was a beauty. 

Lets let the guy play before we call him a bust here yeah? You can not be a fan of his but at least give him a chance.

(11-05-2019, 04:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 03:14 PM)Last42min Wrote: I have no problem with the decision. Is there any reason he had to announce it this early, though? Wouldn't it be better to stay quiet so Indy didn't know who was going to start?

Because the decision had been made and he wanted to:

a. begin to gameplan and notify the two players in question
b. notify the team and move forward with a plan cohesively
c. didn't want the media hearing it from anyone but him

I think we're making this too complex with respect to the timing. It's Marrone. I suspect he simply informed the players of his decision as soon as he actually made his decision. Also, I feel it's the right one. We just spent $88 mil on Foles, so we need to know who we have for all that money. Furthermore, it's not like Foles played poorly considering he made the most of his reps this season.

As for Minshew, he seems to have hit a bit of a wall where teams have his tape figured out. Sitting and learning at this point isn't the worst thing for him.

(11-05-2019, 07:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Nick Foles does nothing exciting... so... be ready for the most vanilla basic play calling there is.

I'm not saying he's bad... but he's not exciting.

Drop back, pass for 7... drop back, get destroyed... drop back, get destroyed, 14 yard pass.

Nothing exciting? Have you watched Foles?

The guy has an incredibly accurate deep arm the likes of which puts Minshew's to shame. You won't see Chark having to constantly stop and come back for the ball like we do with Minshew. Instead, he'll catch deep passes in stride for huge TDs.
'02

(11-05-2019, 07:33 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 07:32 PM)billwade Wrote: I agree. Minshew mania is delusional. His stats have steadily declined as opposing teams get film on him. No one on the planet prepared for him, and the only reference was that weird offense Leach runs in college. Now that DCs are starting to understand his tendencies, he'll have a lot less success going forward. Meanwhile, the Jags have a proven SB MVP on their roster who took over a team last year with a losing record (just like the Jags with Minshew at QB) and took them to the playoffs and won a game. It's puzzling to me that this is even a discussion. Foles is not like Dalton or Flacco or those other retreads. He's 30 and entering the prime of his career as a QB. He has at least 5 productive years left in him.

Foles is worse than all those guys.

Not even. How do you figure? Are you trolling?
'02