Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL attendance

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/11...l-stretch/

You can view the other weeks also, but the NFL has a huge problem with attendance. They have to either fix the issues or move games. They will most likely look to move 1 game for all teams out of the US in the new CBA. Then the market will be too saturated and fans will stop buying tickets outside the US.

It costs too much money for games, parking, food, etc to go spend 4-5 hours or more depending on where you live to watch a terrible product on the field. The NFL is going to kill itself because they keep trying to increase revenue instead of improving the play and experience of being at a game.

Much like companies solely focused on stockholders, they are setting themselves up for failure.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The NFL is becoming a TV league.. fueled by the love of fantasy and watching at home. The league still makes most of their money through TV contracts and endorsements.. ticket sales is nothing but a small piece. I do think that the game day experience needs to improve, though.

I just don't see how you can improve the game day experience without changing the timing of the games.
If you know the high temps in September are above 90F, schedule the game in the evening.
Do fewer and shorter timeouts.

The current crop of owners, both NFL owners and media owners, will never do either thing.

However, if there was a little changing of the guard, a few good things would start to happen quickly.

Suppose Jeff Bezos steps up and decides to outbid CBS and Fox for their packages? He decides he can make more money off of subscriptions and is open to reducing the ads. Owners may decide reducing the length of the game will increase ticket sales.

But unless the current model is majorly disrupted it can't happen.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-19-2019, 12:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: I just don't see how you can improve the game day experience without changing the timing of the games.
If you know the high temps in September are above 90F, schedule the game in the evening.

The current crop of owners, both NFL owners and media owners, will never do either thing.

However, if there was a little changing of the guard, a few good things would start to happen quickly.

Suppose Jeff Bezos steps up and decides to outbid CBS and Fox for their packages? He decides he can make more money off of subscriptions and is open to reducing the ads.  Owners may decide reducing the length of the game will increase ticket sales.

Soccer manages to do a full 90 minute period without commercial breaks, you could very easily get away with split/reduced screen during downtimes between plays and get ads on screen without full stoppages of play for minutes at a time. Nascar and football have begun experimenting with it, but not for a full broadcast.
The only other option the owners have is to force games to be tape delayed, so that broadcasters can fill ads in the negative space between plays, but then the TV deals will likely reduce in value.  It's a catch-22.

Maybe owners just bite the bullet, and sell games for less? Do you make more selling 30000 tickets at $50 a pop, or 60000 at $25 a pop? Consider that the customer base for parking, concessions, merchandise potentially double under the second option. And, if the tickets are selling out, now you can start exploring PSLs to increase revenue, too!

(11-19-2019, 10:38 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 12:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: I just don't see how you can improve the game day experience without changing the timing of the games.

Suppose Jeff Bezos steps up and decides to outbid CBS and Fox for their packages? He decides he can make more money off of subscriptions and is open to reducing the ads.  Owners may decide reducing the length of the game will increase ticket sales.

Soccer manages to do a full 90 minute period without commercial breaks, you could very easily get away with split/reduced screen during downtimes between plays and get ads on screen without full stoppages of play for minutes at a time. Nascar and football have begun experimenting with it, but not for a full broadcast.
The only other option the owners have is to force games to be tape delayed, so that broadcasters can fill ads in the negative space between plays, but then the TV deals will likely reduce in value.  It's a catch-22.

Maybe owners just bite the bullet, and sell games for less? Do you make more selling 30000 tickets at $50 a pop, or 60000 at $25 a pop? Consider that the customer base for parking, concessions, merchandise potentially double under the second option. And, if the tickets are selling out, now you can start exploring PSLs to increase revenue, too!
One of the issues is corporations and resellers buying tickets. Somehow they need to stop that because it keeps tickets higher because fans don't have access to lower priced tickets.

1 option is to remove ticket privileges if you don't use your tickets. The NFL isn't going to turn down money though.

2nd option is the NFL only allowing selling tickets on their own website. That way they get fees for every sell.

It's only going to get worse and is starting to look like baseball.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That site nah not clicking that trash..

I will never pay a PSL.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(11-19-2019, 10:38 AM)Mikey Wrote:

I don't understand soccer as well as football, and I don't know as many of the players' names, but even so, seeing an MLS game in Orlando is more enjoyable than seeing a Jaguars game in Jacksonville.  There's shade.  There are no pointless breaks in the action.  It takes less of your time.  You don't feel tired on the drive home.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-21-2019, 06:30 AM)nhiverson Wrote: That site nah not clicking that trash..
Look at twitter, most show images from https://mobile.twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics

(11-21-2019, 10:39 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 06:30 AM)nhiverson Wrote: That site nah not clicking that trash..
Look at twitter, most show images from https://mobile.twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics

Most of those images mean nothing.  Weather and timing alter the look of empty seats wildly from week to week and minute to minute. 

The NFL indeed has an attendance decline, but it's tickets sold that matter. Not a picture snapped just before halftime with a tilted score sending folks out of their seats to get a beer and a hotdog. 

11 teams are selling 63K tickets or less per home game this season. (Jax = 60.23K)

In 2017 that number was 8 teams (and Jax was not one of them at 64.3K tix sold per home game)

(11-21-2019, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 10:39 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Look at twitter, most show images from https://mobile.twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics

Most of those images mean nothing.  Weather and timing alter the look of empty seats wildly from week to week and minute to minute. 

The NFL indeed has an attendance decline, but it's tickets sold that matter. Not a picture snapped just before halftime with a tilted score sending folks out of their seats to get a beer and a hotdog. 

11 teams are selling 63K tickets or less per home game this season. (Jax = 60.23K)

In 2017 that number was 8 teams (and Jax was not one of them at 64.3K tix sold per home game)
I agree, but most of the images are from kickoff or in the 1st quarter. It's not a bunch of games with the images or a Jags problem. It is league wide and the Jags don't have as nearly bad as a problem as some of the teams. The Ravens had a ton of empty seats and they are in 1st place against another 1st place team.

There are just too many positives when it comes to watching the games from your couch.

(11-21-2019, 11:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: There are just too many positives when it comes to watching the games from your couch.

Stay away from my couch.

(11-22-2019, 06:22 PM)PF* Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 11:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: There are just too many positives when it comes to watching the games from your couch.

Stay away from my couch.
But I’m bringing booze and wings!

(11-23-2019, 10:44 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 06:22 PM)PF* Wrote: Stay away from my couch.
But I’m bringing booze and wings!

Come on over!