Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Potential Head Coach

(11-23-2019, 11:37 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: At this point, I really don't care.. For God's sakes though, if they don't work out after their 2nd or 3rd year, get rid of them. Let's not give them the 5-6 year cushion..

I typically would be quoting this post and advising more patience than you advocate here.

But given the current roster and incoming draft selections, I think the Jaguars could absolutely pull the plug in 2 or 3 years if the next coaching staff isn't putting them into the playoffs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-23-2019, 09:20 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 09:56 PM)Caldrac Wrote: His name keeps coming up. And I get it. But is he really the answer? I think he would end up like Chip Kelly in all honesty. You might get one surprising year out of him and then it all kind of goes off the rails.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree.. the risk of failure is high. But the reward would also be high I believe.. I say you take a shot for a fan base that’s bored of smash mouth football. Might just be the change we need.

I agree, the NFL has changed, time for the Jags to change too. Big, nasty OL in front of Minshew and speedy receivers running all over the place.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(11-23-2019, 11:49 AM)PF* Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 09:20 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I agree.. the risk of failure is high. But the reward would also be high I believe.. I say you take a shot for a fan base that’s bored of smash mouth football. Might just be the change we need.

I agree, the NFL has changed, time for the Jags to change too. Big, nasty OL in front of Minshew and speedy receivers running all over the place.

Sign me up for this ^

I love a run game and tough defense - and love those things more than most. 
But the league continually makes changes in the rulebook and officiating policies that benefit passing offense.  Just makes too much sense to go ahead and capitalize on that trend.

(11-23-2019, 08:36 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 06:57 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: We all want fresh and new but I wouldn’t be entirely opposed to bringing back JDR.

Well, at least he seems to have a winning season every other season or so. LOL 

But I always did like his attitude. Has an ex-coach of a team even ever come back to a team in the same capacity years later? Hmm. I'd rather stay away from re-treads though.

Just off the top of my head:

Joe Gibbs

Ted Marchibroda

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(11-23-2019, 02:17 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 08:36 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Well, at least he seems to have a winning season every other season or so. LOL 

But I always did like his attitude. Has an ex-coach of a team even ever come back to a team in the same capacity years later? Hmm. I'd rather stay away from re-treads though.

Just off the top of my head:

Joe Gibbs

Ted Marchibroda

Gruden?

Todd Monken makes a lot of sense. Air raid guy who turned around Southern Miss and at least has one year of high level playcalling in the NFL. He was Nick Mullens coach in college. Also used to coach here

Tony Romo?

(11-23-2019, 11:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 11:37 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: At this point, I really don't care.. For God's sakes though, if they don't work out after their 2nd or 3rd year, get rid of them. Let's not give them the 5-6 year cushion..

I typically would be quoting this post and advising more patience than you advocate here.

But given the current roster and incoming draft selections, I think the Jaguars could absolutely pull the plug in 2 or 3 years if the next coaching staff isn't putting them into the playoffs.

Patience? That's all this club has given these scrub coaches and personnel. One of the main reasons why this team can hardly ever crawl out of the basement.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(11-23-2019, 04:38 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 11:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I typically would be quoting this post and advising more patience than you advocate here.

Patience? That's all this club has given these scrub coaches and personnel. One of the main reasons why this team can hardly ever crawl out of the basement.

To be clear, I'm not recommending they be patient with the next hire.  

I just (mostly) understand why the new owner showed patience (to a fault) with the Bradley/Marrone regimes. 

I'm ready for change and I don't think the next group gets a long leash given the talent on the roster.

At this point it has to be a guy like Mike Leach. Him and Minshew have already shown they work great together. Minshew lead the nation in passing.

This Marrone guy don’t know what to do with a stud QB.

(11-23-2019, 05:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 04:38 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Patience? That's all this club has given these scrub coaches and personnel. One of the main reasons why this team can hardly ever crawl out of the basement.

I just (mostly) understand why the new owner showed patience (to a fault) with the Bradley/Marrone regimes. 

I'm ready for change and I don't think the next group gets a long leash given the talent on the roster.

Patient with valid reasons.. guy had a huge winning season in 17 and an argument could be made for injuries causing a losing season in 18. This season? Yeah, no more excuses.

(11-23-2019, 05:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 04:38 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Patience? That's all this club has given these scrub coaches and personnel. One of the main reasons why this team can hardly ever crawl out of the basement.

10-4
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(11-23-2019, 04:38 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 11:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I typically would be quoting this post and advising more patience than you advocate here.

Khan is clueless about football. I really doubt we get a new HC for next season.

(11-23-2019, 07:54 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

Khan is clueless about football. I really doubt we get a new HC for next season.

I have to agree with this. Khan is way too patient and he lost a ton of credibility when he said he expects Ramsey to play.

Ramsey bucked on him and that statement back fired.

(11-23-2019, 08:05 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 07:54 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Khan is clueless about football. I really doubt we get a new HC for next season.

I have to agree with this. Khan is way too patient and he lost a ton of credibility when he said he expects Ramsey to play.

Odd assessment. 

I thought Khan played that hand almost masterfully and wound up getting proper value for the player. 

The comment(s) he made was likely only intended to move things forward with trade negotiations, and it worked.

(11-24-2019, 10:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 08:05 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I have to agree with this. Khan is way too patient and he lost a ton of credibility when he said he expects Ramsey to play.

Odd assessment. 

I thought Khan played that hand almost masterfully and wound up getting proper value for the player. 

The comment(s) he made was likely only intended to move things forward with trade negotiations, and it worked.
Agreed. Khan did what any decent owner would have done in that situation. He publicly supported him. He went on record regarding the potential of making him the highest paid corner in the NFL.

Just couldn't win there with the kid. He wanted out. Telvin Smith is another example. You can only do so much.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-23-2019, 05:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: At this point it has to be a guy like Mike Leach. Him and Minshew have already shown they work great together. Minshew lead the nation in passing.

Has a college HC ever successfully transitioned directly to a pro HC? Honest question.

(11-24-2019, 11:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 05:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: At this point it has to be a guy like Mike Leach. Him and Minshew have already shown they work great together. Minshew lead the nation in passing.

Has a college HC ever successfully transitioned directly to a pro HC? Honest question.

Sure, I can think of Dick Vermiel, Bill Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, Barry Switzer. All of them either had immediate success or it took just a year to get up and running. Pete Carroll in his second stint after USC. Heck, even our own Tom Coughlin did it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-24-2019, 11:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 11:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Has a college HC ever successfully transitioned directly to a pro HC? Honest question.

Sure, I can think of Dick Vermiel, Bill Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, Barry Switzer. All of them either had immediate success or it took just a year to get up and running. Pete Carroll in his second stint after USC. Heck, even our own Tom Coughlin did it.

Does anyone think Nick Saban could win in his second stint? He wasn't as bad as Pete Carroll in their respective first NFL jobs. 

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Should we also discuss who will replace Caldwell?
"Knowledge is power, guard it well."