Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Etiquette Question

(12-10-2019, 11:50 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 10:27 AM)TJBender Wrote: Not in the left lane. If someone's tailgating you with a lane to your left, yeah, test out your braking capability. If you're in the left lane and someone's tailgating you, get the hell out of the left lane.

I most certainly do, IF, and it is a big if,  it does not cause me to have to reduce my speed or inconvenience my driving. Especially if I am already over the speed limit by a healthy margin. Otherwise they will have to wait until such time I can move over meeting the prior stated circumstances.

Well yeah, that's an obvious qualifier imo. If getting out of the left lane would require you to hammer on the brakes or do something brilliant like cut off a semi, screw that guy. Stay left. But once it's safe to get over, give it 10 seconds or so to see if the guy tailgating you flies around you on the right, rolls coal and flips you off while firing a shotgun into the air as they ride off into the sunset. If they don't--and they usually do, at least in Georgia--get to the right when it's safe then jump back into the left lane when you need to pass someone.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Drivers will line up like they are performing a Blue Angels side by side stunt. If you are the idiot blocking the left lane, push the peddle under your right foot and move into the lane to your right as quickly and safely as possible (Safely = way less than 1 mile). DON'T BE THAT GUY! ... You know who you are. Pay more attention so you aren't "THAT GUY".

Don't be "That" guy that "You" hate to be behind.

Oh, and be ready when the light turns green ... The people behind you wants to make it through the SAME light. Don't be the reason for the last 3 cars in the back to have to wait for the next green light (because you had to finish your text, pick your boogers, or fix your makeup)

/Driving Rant

For me, it all depends on which way the wind blows. One day, I may let it go, the other day I may make you regret even thinking about pissing me off. Probably some sort of psychological disorder on my part. Just be careful around me. I’m not even sure how I’ll react.

(12-10-2019, 10:27 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 10:01 AM)Jagwired Wrote: I have two words for you. Brake check.

Not in the left lane. If someone's tailgating you with a lane to your left, yeah, test out your braking capability. If you're in the left lane and someone's tailgating you, get the hell out of the left lane.

I think what he was saying is that people (including the OP) where in the left lane doing 80 passing people in the right. They just weren't passing fast enough for the guy behind him. In that case, no you're not obligated to move over unless it's a cop or an ambulance or something.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019, 10:03 AM by The Real Marty.)

So it happened to me again yesterday.   I'm driving down 103rd St, in the left lane, cars in front of me so there was no way I could speed up, and a SCHOOL BUS of all things starts tailgating me.  Then it whips into the right lane, pulls ahead of me, then slips between me and the car in front of me, and then moves into a left turn lane to turn left.  Now what was that all about?   That driver saved him or her self all of one single second getting to that turn.

(12-18-2019, 10:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So it happened to me again yesterday.   I'm driving down 103rd St, in the left lane, cars in front of me so there was no way I could speed up, and a SCHOOL BUS of all things starts tailgating me.  Then it whips into the right lane, pulls ahead of me, then slips between me and the car in front of me, and then moves into a left turn lane to turn left.  Now what was that all about?   That driver saved him or her self all of one single second getting to that turn.

If they cut you off, note the bus number, date and time and report them.

especially if they had kids on the bus, no need to be aggressive in traffic.

(12-18-2019, 10:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So it happened to me again yesterday.   I'm driving down 103rd St, in the left lane, cars in front of me so there was no way I could speed up, and a SCHOOL BUS of all things starts tailgating me.  Then it whips into the right lane, pulls ahead of me, then slips between me and the car in front of me, and then moves into a left turn lane to turn left.  Now what was that all about?   That driver saved him or her self all of one single second getting to that turn.

Stop driving so slow in the left lane.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dang, Marty, you got owned by a school bus. Push that right pedal down, old man.

(12-18-2019, 05:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Dang, Marty, you got owned by a school bus. Push that right pedal down, old man.

I think my problem is that although I'm going as fast as the car in front of me, I'm allowing some space.  Apparently the left lane is the tailgating lane.  If I'm not tailgating the guy in front of me, I'm not driving fast enough for some people.

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2019, 07:50 AM by Jags.)

(12-19-2019, 07:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 05:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Dang, Marty, you got owned by a school bus. Push that right pedal down, old man.

I think my problem is that although I'm going as fast as the car in front of me, I'm allowing some space.  Apparently the left lane is the tailgating lane.  If I'm not tailgating the guy in front of me, I'm not driving fast enough for some people.
That’s exactly what happens to me.  I’ll go with traffic, whatever speed it may be while in the left lane.  But since I don’t want a white knuckle ride or become a statistic I allow decent space.   My wife will even tell me to speed up.  I’ll say “why, are they getting away? Am I falling back? What’s the point to be on their [BLEEP]?”  

It’s like when someone is following you to a destination.   (more so back in the not widely used GPS days). They seem to think they will get lost if they aren’t on your [BLEEP] or they think they own the road between you and them.  Seriously, you can follow behind with a car or two ahead of you.  Pretend you’re a spy or under cover or something.  Figure it out.  Just not on my truck’s hitch

(12-19-2019, 07:49 AM)Jags Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 07:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think my problem is that although I'm going as fast as the car in front of me, I'm allowing some space.  Apparently the left lane is the tailgating lane.  If I'm not tailgating the guy in front of me, I'm not driving fast enough for some people.
That’s exactly what happens to me.  I’ll go with traffic, whatever speed it may be while in the left lane.  But since I don’t want a white knuckle ride or become a statistic I allow decent space.   My wife will even tell me to speed up.  I’ll say “why, are they getting away? Am I falling back? What’s the point to be on their [BLEEP]?”  

It’s like when someone is following you to a destination.   (more so back in the not widely used GPS days). They seem to think they will get lost if they aren’t on your [BLEEP] or they think they own the road between you and them.  Seriously, you can follow behind with a car or two ahead of you.  Pretend you’re a spy or under cover or something.  Figure it out.  Just not on my truck’s hitch

Much like in golf, your position on the road is behind the car in front not in front of the car behind.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-19-2019, 07:49 AM)Jags Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 07:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think my problem is that although I'm going as fast as the car in front of me, I'm allowing some space.  Apparently the left lane is the tailgating lane.  If I'm not tailgating the guy in front of me, I'm not driving fast enough for some people.

Sounds like you're a reasonably safe driver. You probably also do silly things like stop at red lights, yield the right of way at yield signs and allow merging traffic to merge on the interstate. This freaks typical Jacksonville drivers out and they have a hard time figuring out how to deal with it.

(12-20-2019, 01:06 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 07:49 AM)Jags Wrote: That’s exactly what happens to me.  I’ll go with traffic, whatever speed it may be while in the left lane.  But since I don’t want a white knuckle ride or become a statistic I allow decent space.   My wife will even tell me to speed up.  I’ll say “why, are they getting away? Am I falling back? What’s the point to be on their [BLEEP]?”  

Sounds like you're a reasonably safe driver. You probably also do silly things like stop at red lights, yield the right of way at yield signs and allow merging traffic to merge on the interstate. This freaks typical Jacksonville drivers out and they have a hard time figuring out how to deal with it.

I try to be safe.   But then again I don’t really have much of a commute for work.  It’s all local for me.  Any other time I drive, I’m off and probably left early, so I’m never really in a rush.  I think that helps.

This is a little off subject, but does anyone know what that thing sticking out of the left side of the steering column is used for? It holds air fresheners pretty well, though.

(12-20-2019, 03:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: This is a little off subject, but does anyone know what that thing sticking out of the left side of the steering column is used for? It holds air fresheners pretty well, though.

That's the Flux Capacitor.

(12-20-2019, 03:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: This is a little off subject, but does anyone know what that thing sticking out of the left side of the steering column is used for? It holds air fresheners pretty well, though.

I’m in the left hand turn only lane man! 

Do you use it in the left turn lane? I just assume it’s obvious where I’m going.  Some do others don’t.  Sometimes I put mine on if there is a string of cars and only 1 guy has it on.  I’ll turn mine on.  See if we start a trend.  Occasionally, you’ll see others put theirs on as well.