Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan Fires Coughlin

(12-20-2019, 10:14 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 07:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Why do some people refuse to spell Khan’s name correctly?
Why do some people not use the Trivial Annoyances thread as intended?

Btw, Lamar Jackson is going to be a flash in the pan. Why? Because the NFL never, ever rewards running quarterbacks with longevity.
Well then it's a good thing he leads the NFL in touchdowns from the pocket.

You don't think the fact that he runs as much as he does affects that stat?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-20-2019, 10:19 AM)Rico Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 10:14 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Well then it's a good thing he leads the NFL in touchdowns from the pocket.

You don't think the fact that he runs as much as he does affects that stat?
In what way? Josh Allen is a running QB and he doesn't have as many TDs from the pocket as Jackson.

I think some people (not specifically you) are so used to a QB being a certain type that when a new way comes along, it's automatically met with "That won't last". It's that mentality that led to Jackson dropping in the draft.

Instead of looking at what QBs can't do, good coaches find out their elite traits and build around them.

(12-20-2019, 10:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 10:19 AM)Rico Wrote: You don't think the fact that he runs as much as he does affects that stat?
In what way? Josh Allen is a running QB and he doesn't have as many TDs from the pocket as Jackson.

I think some people (not specifically you) are so used to a QB being a certain type that when a new way comes along, it's automatically met with "That won't last". It's that mentality that led to Jackson dropping in the draft.

Instead of looking at what QBs can't do, good coaches find out their elite traits and build around them.

C'mon.  Jackson has almost 700 yards more rushing.  Not even close to the same.  Do you really think that defenses are as scared of Allen running as Jackson?

I think there's far more than people on this board.  I read a real good article on it recently, can't recall where.  QBs are going to take enough hits in the pocket.  Now add in 15-20 carries a game for Jackson and you are going to shorten his shelf-life.  It's just (seemingly) inevitable unless he gets extremely lucky.  You're adding up hits he takes in the pocket with hits he takes as a RB.  Isn't that one of the main concerns about drafting a running back high?  Short shelf life?  We can debate it forever but it's nothing that we'll find out right now.  We'll just have to wait and see.  

BTW, I am one of "those people" that would prefer my quarterback be primarily a pocket passer (with some mobility).

(12-20-2019, 10:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 10:19 AM)Rico Wrote: You don't think the fact that he runs as much as he does affects that stat?

Josh Allen is definitely not the same QB as Lamar Jackson and doesn't have nearly as many called running plays as he does.

When a new way comes along it is met with "it won't last" because it doesn't.
Kap, Vick, RGme, all these guys had limited success for various reasons. 
RGme was a superstar and then injured and never the same. Kap was very much a flash in the pan and then after a couple seasons was not very good. Vick was a great running QB that never developed his passing from the pocket skills. 

If the "running QB" was a long term thing, we'd have seen it more by now.
Jackson is straight killing it. But for how long is the only question people seem to have. I don't think anyone is doubting his ability. The question is longevity. You think the Ravens (and more specifically the ownership of the Ravens) cares about him being a 10-15 year QB? They don't. They're hoping for a SB this year, and maybe next... which will buy them a lot of credit with fans and media for years to come.

Jackson could easily get hurt and be a shell of himself. Eventually, he'll get a little slower.... Everyone likes to point to his TDs and play from the pocket... but that is with the threat of the run. It's with studs at TE 2-3 strings deep. It's with Ingram and a very good OL.
What if that all changes around him?
Why is it such a big deal to ask these questions and be called a "hater"? When we're really just like "BUT will it last"

As I said... I don't think anyone, at this point, is saying he isn't good. Now it becomes a question of can he develop more skills or will he completely rely on the running skill set that most QBs don't have. And if so... how long will it last... History tells us it won't last long.
Only time will tell. But it should be fair to ask the questions.

No one bats an eye when the skills and development of any other QB is questioned or criticized. Why is Jackson such a polarizing subject?

(12-20-2019, 10:41 AM)Rico Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 10:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: In what way? Josh Allen is a running QB and he doesn't have as many TDs from the pocket as Jackson.

C'mon.  Jackson has almost 700 yards more rushing.  Not even close to the same.  Do you really think that defenses are as scared of Allen running as Jackson?

I think there's far more than people on this board.  I read a real good article on it recently, can't recall where.  QBs are going to take enough hits in the pocket.  Now add in 15-20 carries a game for Jackson and you are going to shorten his shelf-life.  It's just (seemingly) inevitable unless he gets extremely lucky.  You're adding up hits he takes in the pocket with hits he takes as a RB.  Isn't that one of the main concerns about drafting a running back high?  Short shelf life?  We can debate it forever but it's nothing that we'll find out right now.  We'll just have to wait and see.  

BTW, I am one of "those people" that would prefer my quarterback be primarily a pocket passer (with some mobility).
Josh Allen has 9 rushing TDs....

I understand the hesitation with Lamar because we haven't really seen a QB do what he can do. You can't compare him with RG3 and Kaep because Lamar is leading the league in passing TDs while also rushing for 1,100 yards..... He is a unicorn. So trying to label him as anyone from the past is just wrong. Randall Cunningham had 900 rushing yards in his 6th season. 

And I'm not implying that he's going to be able to run for 1,000 yards every season but the guy is improving every single week.

Why is Jackson such a polarizing subject?

Do you really have to ask? That guy that isn't even trying to accept a contract in the league will tell you why it is a polarizing subject. Honestly it is one of those things enjoy it and see how it goes. If he can break the mold well good on him. Honestly NFL types are risk averse which has many layers of irony when you consider how the draft goes year to year.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-20-2019, 01:45 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Why is Jackson such a polarizing subject?

Do you really have to ask?  That guy that isn't even trying to accept a contract in the league will tell you why it is a polarizing subject.  Honestly it is one of those things enjoy it and see how it goes.  If he can break the mold well good on him.  Honestly NFL types are risk averse which has many layers of irony when you consider how the draft goes year to year.

Yes, please tell me why.  I'd really like to know.

(12-20-2019, 02:09 PM)Rico Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 01:45 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Why is Jackson such a polarizing subject?

Do you really have to ask?  That guy that isn't even trying to accept a contract in the league will tell you why it is a polarizing subject.  Honestly it is one of those things enjoy it and see how it goes.  If he can break the mold well good on him.  Honestly NFL types are risk averse which has many layers of irony when you consider how the draft goes year to year.

Yes, please tell me why.  I'd really like to know.
I think most people are scared and don't know how to deal with things that are new and successful.

"The Warriors can't win as a jump shooting team."
"But what happens when Lamar has to throw?!"
"This spread it out offense from college won't work in the NFL"

Most people can't handle change even if it hits them in the face. It's why most coaches fail. They fail to adapt and change.

(12-20-2019, 02:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 02:09 PM)Rico Wrote: Yes, please tell me why.  I'd really like to know.
I think most people are scared and don't know how to deal with things that are new and successful.

Most people can't handle change even if it hits them in the face. It's why most coaches fail. They fail to adapt and change.

I'm not asking you.  I know your theory.

(12-20-2019, 02:22 PM)Rico Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 02:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think most people are scared and don't know how to deal with things that are new and successful.

Carry on

(12-20-2019, 02:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 02:22 PM)Rico Wrote: I'm not asking you.  I know your theory.
Carry on

For me, when people bring up "polarizing" they are typically going through the whole non-white QB shtick. Been untrue for years now but it doesn't stop a perception.  For me I don't care.  I wish Leftwich had better mechanics because his football IQ was off the charts and he knows X and O's like no ones business.  There is a bias against "running" QBs
The Khan Years

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2019, 02:29 PM by RicoTx.)

(12-20-2019, 02:22 PM)Rico Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 02:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think most people are scared and don't know how to deal with things that are new and successful.

"The Warriors can't win as a jump shooting team."  Who the hell ever said that?
"But what happens when Lamar has to throw?!"  Who the hell ever said that?
"This spread it out offense from college won't work in the NFL"  Spread it out offense?  I don't even know what or who that's supposed to be referring to.

OK, Let's address these since you told me to 'carry on'.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2019, 02:32 PM by MoJagFan.)

On the Who the Hell ever Said that....

It was a scouting, coaching, mindset to play it safe and not do those things.  Leagues are copy cats but at the same time they aren't known for out of the box thinking.
The Khan Years

I'll have to find the link but saw some nextgen type stats that showed Lamar is throwing to receivers that are far more wide open than your average QB does. It's just an undeniable truth in football that running QBs have bigger lanes to throw to in the passing game because defenses have to scheme differently worrying about the run. Not even sure why that's a controversial subject. It's not a knock on Lamar, it's just the reality that his ability to run allows to him have an easier defense to throw against than a traditional pocket QB. Whether it be defenses having to worry about playing man coverage because the back 7 have to turn their back to the QB, to LBers having to focus more on him than they do the TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield, LBers having to play closer to the line of scrimmage which opens up bigger gaps between the LBs and safeties, etc... it's an endless list of reasons why it's so much harder for defenses to defend a running QB that is also proficient at passing the ball. Put Lamar in an offense that wasnt schemed around his skillset and forced him to stand in the pocket and he wouldnt be nearly the same player. Even when you watch him you see some throws that are pretty terrible at least a few times a game. The guy isnt Drew Brees as a passer. But he is still a great player. And like all QBs who are gifted runners, if they take one bad shot and they lose that aspect of their game, those huge passing lanes get a lot more narrow and do they then become just another average QB? Or like RG3 do they even belong in the league anymore?

(12-20-2019, 02:51 PM)rfc17 Wrote: I'll have to find the link but saw some nextgen type stats that showed Lamar is throwing to receivers that are far more wide open than your average QB does.  It's just an undeniable truth in football that running QBs have bigger lanes to throw to in the passing game because defenses have to scheme differently worrying about the run.  Not even sure why that's a controversial subject.  It's not a knock on Lamar, it's just the reality that his ability to run allows to him have an easier defense to throw against than a traditional pocket QB.  Whether it be defenses having to worry about playing man coverage because the back 7 have to turn their back to the QB, to LBers having to focus more on him than they do the TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield, LBers having to play closer to the line of scrimmage which opens up bigger gaps between the LBs and safeties, etc... it's an endless list of reasons why it's so much harder for defenses to defend a running QB that is also proficient at passing the ball.  Put Lamar in an offense that wasnt schemed around his skillset and forced him to stand in the pocket and he wouldnt be nearly the same player.  Even when you watch him you see some throws that are pretty terrible at least a few times a game.  The guy isnt Drew Brees as a passer.  But he is still a great player.  And like all QBs who are gifted runners, if they take one bad shot and they lose that aspect of their game, those huge passing lanes get a lot more narrow and do they then become just another average QB?  Or like RG3 do they even belong in the league anymore?

That's all I've been saying all along.  

What happens if running is no longer a big part of his game?

The only way to find out is to keep watching.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2019, 03:16 PM by JackCity.)

One of the strengths of Lamar coming out was how proficient he was in the pocket for a QB who can also run. That's carried over into the NFL, even though people weren't able/didn't want to see it on his college tape.

Also Greg Roman says it best, it's actually safer being on the move as a QB than being in the pocket in terms of the type of hits you take.

Also what kind of significant injury are we talking about here? Because if it's significant to stop him being able to move it's going to be significant enough to stop a QB throwing well too and moving in the pocket i.e it will have a dramatic effect on every qb

Good gawd this took off on a tangent. Polarizing? Non- white??
I never said Jackson isn’t a dynamic player who creates scoring opportunities. He does so magnificently because of the threat his legs present to defenses. My only assertion is that it won’t last long. Eventually, age or injury will catch up to him. Most likely it will be injury. By running, he opens himself up to hard tackles, and we all know there’s nothing DBs like more than laying into a QB. Or a lineman rolls into his leg while he tries to scoot into the end zone. He probably has 2, maybe 3 good seasons left before he starts missing games while on IR. Sorry if some of you don’t want to accept that, but physics dictates it.
Can anyone name a running QB who has enjoyed longevity in the league? Because Jackson does not break the mold, he’s merely another version of it who is currently enjoying the benefits of youth and improperly schemed defenses. His hourglass is running.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2019, 03:36 PM by JackCity.)

(12-20-2019, 03:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Good gawd this took off on a tangent. Polarizing? Non- white??
I never said Jackson isn’t a dynamic player who creates scoring opportunities. He does so magnificently because of the threat his legs present to defenses. My only assertion is that it won’t last long. Eventually, age or injury will catch up to him. Most likely it will be injury. By running, he opens himself up to hard tackles, and we all know there’s nothing DBs like more than laying into a QB. Or a lineman rolls into his leg while he tries to scoot into the end zone. He probably has 2, maybe 3 good seasons left before he starts missing games while on IR. Sorry if some of you don’t want to accept that, but physics dictates it.
Can anyone name a running QB who has enjoyed longevity in the league? Because Jackson does not break the mold, he’s merely another version of it who is currently enjoying the benefits of youth and improperly schemed defenses. His hourglass is running.

So what specific injury is going to be the one that turns him from a 4.3 runner to a 4.9?

It's a good thing Matt Stafford, Nick Foles and Drew Brees don't run. They are extremely safe from injury in the pocket

(12-20-2019, 03:33 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 03:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Good gawd this took off on a tangent. Polarizing? Non- white??

So what specific injury is going to be the one that turns him from a 4.3 runner to a 4.9?

It's a good thing Matt Stafford, Nick Foles and Drew Brees don't run. They are extremely safe from injury in the pocket

I honestly don’t know what to tell you. Close your eyes and click your ruby red slippers together while saying, “Lamar is not like the others. Lamar is not like the others…”

(12-20-2019, 03:33 PM)JackCity Wrote:

So then running the ball has always been a part of all of these quarterback's arsenals...as a matter of fact a huge part?