Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This team still needs a Franchise QB. QB may be the top priority.

You can't carry three QBs and you can't move on from Foles next season and you can't bench The Stache if he wins the job. You have to roll with 7 and 15 next year and draft a QB in 2121 to replace Foles as GM15's back up.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-30-2019, 12:32 PM)Preach Wrote: I think Minshew showed a lot yesterday. He had a few rough games this year but he IS a rookie with a bad line, mediocre receivers, and no TE play. Every QB, even hall of famers, have rough games. I like the accuracy he has, the decisions he makes, and the energy he adds to the team. I also don't see him becoming a distraction or adding unneeded drama which this team is desperately in need of.

Give Minshew the keys next year and build around him in the off season.
Brady threw a pick six yesterday with a bye week on the line.

Rodgers was playing poorly against a struggling Detroit team and they barely got out of that one alive. Think he tossed a pick or two.

You're absolutely right. No matter how big or small at the QB position. Guys will have bad days. It happens.

Minshew played admirably for a 6th RD pick. You could argue that had he not played decently that this team is more than likely FOR SURE parting ways with Marrone and they're looking at a top three pick in 2020.

That kid was solid in 2019. He's inexpensive. Should only improve with more time to prepare and develop. And I think he's going to ultimately start over Foles in 2020.

And had they not benched the kid mid season for Foles he was more than likely a shoe in for OROY and maybe they win another game or two. We'll never know.

And again. I think if it's revealed Coughlin forced Marrone to play Foles? It'll be the scapegoat excuse to maintain Caldwell and Marrone another year from Khan's incoming conferences.

Do I think it's enough to justify keeping him? No, not really. But I am just a fan. And he's the owner. We don't get a say in it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think GM15 is a unifier, a guy that the team responds to and rallies around on the field. That in itself, I believe, contributed to what Calais was talking about yesterday, about keeping the team together even through all the drama this year. He's got a strong leadership aura for the offense, and that's something this team really needed and needs to build on next year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 01:27 PM by imtheblkranger.)

(12-30-2019, 12:29 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 11:58 AM)Nikowho Wrote: These are Minshew's numbers:

http://www.nfl.com/player/gardnerminshew...areerstats

These are Deshaun Watson's:

http://www.nfl.com/player/deshaunwatson/...areerstats

and for fun, here is Daniel Jones's and Kyler Murray's:

http://www.nfl.com/player/danieljones/25...areerstats
http://www.nfl.com/player/kylermurray/25...areerstats

If there's another rookie QB out there that had to start i'm not remembering who it is right now. But Murray was expected to start, and so was Danny Dimes at some point, if i'm not mistaken. I'm not gonna say Minshew is the QB this team has been looking for for all these years, but when you look at these stats, I see a guy who came out of nowhere as a sixth rounder and performed admirably, given all of the turmoil that Jacksonville has had to deal with this season. This kid is a competent starter, right now. Over time Murray and Jones's ceilings may be higher, but that's for the future to decide, not the now. Jacksonville has to repair other holes first before just going out and grabbing another QB.

I think Minshew deserves a chance to prove his hold on the starting reigns in the preseason next year, battling it out with Foles. There will already be discussions about who should start between him and Foles as it is; I don't see how throwing in another rookie QB will help things.

Right now, call me on board with Minshew. He's been better than any other young QB brought onto this team in a long time.

Haskins eventually started this year and was underwhelming.
Drew Lock finally got some games in and actually played very well going 3-1 and tossing for a lil over 1k yards with a solid TD:INT ratio.

I'm on board with Minshew in the short term for sure. Let's get the OL and some other key spots (TE, back 7 on D) retooled and see what happens in 2020, and see if maybe QB needs to be addressed then.

Honestly, it's not a terrible position to be in. Minshew looks like he is the real deal. If we address those areas and he flames out, then we're in prime position to move up and grab Lawrence, or Minshew proves he's the guy.

Gee, if he captained this Garbage Scow to a 6-6 record and looked this good as a thrown-to-the-wolves rookie with few offensive weapons, imagine how good he'll be with even mediocre coaching, better supporting cast, and more experience?

It's just not that hard to see, but some folks just won't be happy until we get a unanimous first pick in the draft QB. Gotta have that all important pedigree, you know.

(12-30-2019, 01:33 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: Gee, if he captained this Garbage Scow to a 6-6 record and looked this good as a thrown-to-the-wolves rookie with few offensive weapons, imagine how good he'll be with even mediocre coaching, better supporting cast, and more experience?

It's just not that hard to see, but some folks just won't be happy until we get a unanimous first pick in the draft QB. Gotta have that all important pedigree, you know.

And then we can enjoy the wailing and gnashing of teeth when that guy has a Peyton-like rookie campaign. Good times.

This is Minshew's team now.

I have an idea.  Why don't we trade all our picks to Cincy for their number one pick.  We can get our franchise QB.  He won't need an offensive line or good receivers.  Afrter all...he is a franchise QB.

(12-30-2019, 02:41 PM)H8tank Wrote: This is Minshew's team now.

I think so too, but the $88M dilemma is a powerful force to be reckoned with. Will we try to deal him off? Let him start again to see where he goes? Or simply make him the most expensive backup QB in the history of the NFL. This is a sticky decision which will have a big effect on the offensive direction of the team. A choice will have to be made before workouts so the proper system can be established. 

Oy vey, did they screw the pooch on Foles.

(12-30-2019, 03:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I think so too, but the $88M dilemma is a powerful force to be reckoned with. Will we try to deal him off? Let him start again to see where he goes? Or simply make him the most expensive backup QB in the history of the NFL. This is a sticky decision which will have a big effect on the offensive direction of the team. A choice will have to be made before workouts so the proper system can be established. 

Meh. I don't think the money makes that much difference.  We have just as much money tied up with quarterback as most other teams.  We're just paying our backup instead of our starter.

Unless we can get somebody to take Foles off of our hands and eat some of his cap, we're looking at our quarterbacks for next year.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-30-2019, 03:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Screw it. He's getting paid either way, start the guy who's better, which is Minshew. I don't care how much Foles is getting paid. Combined, Minshew and Foles are still cheaper than some teams are paying just their starter. (Wilson, Ben, Rodgers, Goff, Wentz) Hell even Brissett is averaging more per year than Foles+Minshew.

Who cares? Bench him for the better guy.

(12-30-2019, 03:27 PM)Rico Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 03:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I think so too, but the $88M dilemma is a powerful force to be reckoned with. Will we try to deal him off? Let him start again to see where he goes? Or simply make him the most expensive backup QB in the history of the NFL. This is a sticky decision which will have a big effect on the offensive direction of the team. A choice will have to be made before workouts so the proper system can be established. 

Meh. I don't think the money makes that much difference.  We have just as much money tied up with quarterback as most other teams.  We're just paying our backup instead of our starter.

Unless we can get somebody to take Foles off of our hands and eat some of his cap, we're looking at our quarterbacks for next year.

That likelihood diminished substantially after his post-injury debut. They should have just let him sit.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 03:56 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

Foles is a lesson learned for the FO and fans who believed in him. Debating on if he should start is trying to hold out hope for the 88million we wasted. Minshew and another rookie should be battling it out for the starting QB position and we currently have handicapped the spot with NF. We should fill the other holes via the draft, since the FO tried to keep us in mediocrity till the last days. Hopefully we can get Lawrence next year to compete with GM, with Foles somewhere being someone else's problem. IT seems like we are always in this spot. Dante leaves and we say Calais will mend the damage. Following year, pick Allen at DE, because Calais is not long term. Blake goes, we sign Foles out of desperation, now a rookie is doing good and we have to find a way to ship him out. Following year, no QB due to NF, lets draft TE or OL like we should've done last year but Allen was needed. Ramsey leaves a hole at DB now. Telvin is getting older. Getting Taven at DE was apparently more important than getting Lamar at QB since we took him over Jackson, smh at the continued display of stupid. Maybe i'm in a small circle of fans that see this as stupidity and not worth making an excuse for. Fire everybody and get another young QB, TE, OL, LB, and DBs in the next 10 years hopefully.

Oh and RETAIN YOUR ASCENDING PLAYERS OVER WISHING FA ARE YOUR FUTURE STARTERS.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 03:57 PM by RicoTx.)

(12-30-2019, 03:39 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 03:27 PM)Rico Wrote: Meh. I don't think the money makes that much difference.  We have just as much money tied up with quarterback as most other teams.  We're just paying our backup instead of our starter.

That likelihood diminished substantially after his post-injury debut. They should have just let him sit.

I'll have to disagree with that as well.  Hindsight, yeah I let him sit.

At the time (and I didn't want them to go after Foles before the season) I think it was the right move.  They paid him to be the franchise quarterback.  Minshew had a few good games but also had a few bad games.  We were only 4-5...it wasn't like we were sitting 7-2 or 6-3 or even 5-4.  So even though popular, it wasn't like Minshew was lighting the world on fire.  

Foles was brought in and paid to be the starter and the franchise guy so you have to see if he can actually be that franchise guy.  Supposedly this was 'his time of year'.

(12-30-2019, 03:47 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Foles is a lesson learned for the FO and fans who believed in him.  Debating on if he should start is trying to hold out hope for the 88million we wasted.  Minshew and another rookie should be battling it out for the starting QB position and we currently have handicapped the spot with NF.  We should fill the other holes via the draft, since the FO tried to keep us in mediocrity till the last days.  Hopefully we can get Lawrence next year to compete with GM, with Foles somewhere being someone else's problem.  IT seems like we are always in this spot.  Dante leaves and we say Calais will mend the damage.  Following year, pick Allen at DE, because Calais is not long term.  Blake goes, we sign Foles out of desperation, now a rookie is doing good and we have to find a way to ship him out.  Following year, no QB due to NF, lets draft TE or OL like we should've done last year but Allen was needed.  Maybe i'm in a small circle of fans that see this as stupidity and not worth making an excuse for.  Fire everybody and get another young QB, TE, OL, LB, and DBs in the next 10 years hopefully.  

It did not happen like this.  Foles was signed first.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 04:07 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(12-30-2019, 03:54 PM)Rico Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 03:39 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: That likelihood diminished substantially after his post-injury debut. They should have just let him sit.

I'll have to disagree with that as well.  Hindsight, yeah I let him sit.

At the time (and I didn't want them to go after Foles before the season) I think it was the right move.  They paid him to be the franchise quarterback.  Minshew had a few good games but also had a few bad games.  We were only 4-5...it wasn't like we were sitting 7-2 or 6-3 or even 5-4.  So even though popular, it wasn't like Minshew was lighting the world on fire.  

Foles was brought in and paid to be the starter and the franchise guy so you have to see if he can actually be that franchise guy.  Supposedly this was 'his time of year'.

(12-30-2019, 03:47 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Foles is a lesson learned for the FO and fans who believed in him.  Debating on if he should start is trying to hold out hope for the 88million we wasted.  Minshew and another rookie should be battling it out for the starting QB position and we currently have handicapped the spot with NF.  We should fill the other holes via the draft, since the FO tried to keep us in mediocrity till the last days.  Hopefully we can get Lawrence next year to compete with GM, with Foles somewhere being someone else's problem.  IT seems like we are always in this spot.  Dante leaves and we say Calais will mend the damage.  Following year, pick Allen at DE, because Calais is not long term.  Blake goes, we sign Foles out of desperation, now a rookie is doing good and we have to find a way to ship him out.  Following year, no QB due to NF, lets draft TE or OL like we should've done last year but Allen was needed.  Maybe i'm in a small circle of fans that see this as stupidity and not worth making an excuse for.  Fire everybody and get another young QB, TE, OL, LB, and DBs in the next 10 years hopefully.  

It did not happen like this.  Foles was signed first.
Correct but i knew once we were rumored to be interested and the deal was done, BB was out of the door.  Its crazy because i know alot of ppl wanted Lamar even before we had the fallout that year.  Its like lets pass on this young rookie we can let sit until BB is benched in favor of him, instead of Henne, or lets go with no viable backup and hope we are set for the future and pick a DT.  IDK, our FO is just dumb.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(12-30-2019, 02:49 PM)jagman Wrote: I have an idea.  Why don't we trade all our picks to Cincy for their number one pick.  We can get our franchise QB.  He won't need an offensive line or good receivers.  Afrter all...he is a franchise QB.

There is no price too high to pay if you know it's your guy.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 10:50 PM by jaguarmvp.)

(12-30-2019, 03:14 AM)nate Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 01:01 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Yea but the defense's are much more handicapped today.  You don't remember the days of Darius coming across the middle and just laying somebody out?  Today's game it's a flag every time.  The defense could be much more physical back in those days

This is a ridiculous and flat out wrong way to look at this.  The logic falls in its face.  

Darius WAS fined and SUSPENDED for that one hit.  Not sure he even appealed it.  

We all want to act like it is such a new age, but the reality is it is just another ebb and flow of the NFL.  The rules have shifted, but not so much from 2000 to now as it was from 1979 to 1999.  

I believe the last 2 years you have seen an attempt by many teams to shift to a more balanced format.   The Ravens, the Pats, the Saints (to the least extent in this list) the Tacks, the Clots, the Bills, the 49ers—even the Pack, and Seahawks with elite QBs all have shifted to basically being RUN focused.  

Incidentally, I don’t think this regime tried to go the way of the dinosaur but rather tried to be at the front of this wave, but TCs impersonal way of dealing with things went a long way from fostering a team mentality and made a “us against them” mentality.  

Regardless, this notion of it being such a different age is garbage, and really falls apart when you look at what Gardner has to work with in comparison to 8 back in the day when evidently leather helmets were all the rage.

You are delusional.  Back in those days you could really make a receiver pay for going over the middle.  Hard hits were common place.  The league is much more softer and the defense has been gimped.  You could pull up any game of that era and I can guarantee you will see a half dozen or more hits in every game that would be a fine in today's NFL. Lets not even talk about the lack of understanding about concussions from those hard hits. Back then if you got your bell rung you took a play off then got right back in there. The NFL saw the money was in scoring so the league has been shifted that way.   The bump and run also has been gimped.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(12-30-2019, 09:31 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 08:25 AM)lastonealive Wrote: I'd rather just have a great oline / D and contend that way. Usually the QB gets the credit anyway so will be called a franchise QB. See Flacco, Alex Smith etc

Rivers is the clear top QB that for some reason or another just hasn't worked out, kind of like Romo. Doesn't mean he hasn't been excellent and we wouldn't have been infinitely better with him. Big Ben literally hasn't had a losing season in his entire career. Luck started his career with three straight 11 win seasons with one of the least talented teams in the league and also never had a losing season.

Have fun rebuilding every few years with your style. Teams that don't have one of those types of QBs do not sustain success. It's too hard to keep an entire team stocked when players get old, hurt, expensive, etc.
Fun fact, none of the top 5 passing leaders this year made the playoffs.

(12-30-2019, 09:25 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: https://twitter.com/IrishJaguar/status/1...12032?s=19

And people want to draft another QB instead of trying to give this man some help