Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We should switch to 3-4

(01-13-2020, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Fanning the flames:

https://twitter.com/1010XL/status/121671...03265?s=20

I mean, really we're a nose tackle and an ILB away. If Dareus restructures and is at full strength when he comes back, we're an ILB away, and we've got enough early picks to address that. Or maybe Jacobs is that ILB?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-13-2020, 03:57 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Fanning the flames:

https://twitter.com/1010XL/status/121671...03265?s=20

I mean, really we're a nose tackle and an ILB away. If Dareus restructures and is at full strength when he comes back, we're an ILB away, and we've got enough early picks to address that. Or maybe Jacobs is that ILB?

Yeah

I’m usually adverse to this annual suggestion - but we are actually really close to a do-able switch right now 

Unfortunately- it looks like wash isn’t going anywhere - so... doubtful

The problem is that we severely lack the depth at positionally correct LB's for a 3-4.

Maybe if we dedicate a few draft picks and make a signing or two in FA.

Simmons from Clemson is a beast.

(01-13-2020, 11:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 03:57 PM)TJBender Wrote: I mean, really we're a nose tackle and an ILB away. If Dareus restructures and is at full strength when he comes back, we're an ILB away, and we've got enough early picks to address that. Or maybe Jacobs is that ILB?

Yeah

I’m usually adverse to this annual suggestion - but we are actually really close to a do-able switch right now 

I don’t care how many guys play with their hand in the dirt as long as one of them can tackle the guy carrying the damn ball.

(01-13-2020, 11:40 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 11:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah

I don’t care how many guys play with their hand in the dirt as long as one of them can tackle the guy carrying the damn ball.
Amen. 

I’m cool if they just get NT and ILB fixed and get back to stopping the run in a 4-3. 

Def would want some tweaks to the Wash zone scheme and usage though.

Just stick with a 4-3 and put both Yan and Allen in wide 9 full time.

https://twitter.com/KP_Show/status/1216786256446705664

(01-14-2020, 01:20 AM)Upper Wrote: Just stick with a 4-3 and put both Yan and Allen in wide 9 full time.

The problem is that we get GASHED from the interior on run plays.

Can't stop the run to save our lives.

(01-14-2020, 01:20 AM)Upper Wrote: Just stick with a 4-3 and put both Yan and Allen in wide 9 full time.

Yan is already out wide too much. He gets caught having to collapse down the line to stop the run or rush the passer. That leaves the outside open. This is all on Wash and his scheme and teaching.

Until Wash is gone nothing is changing. All the Seattle defenses get beat and Wash isn't even at the top.

(12-30-2019, 09:31 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Seems like teams flip between 4-3 and 3-4 so we wouldnt necessarily need to commit fully.

But assuming we wanted to commit to that full time, we'd need to get a nose.  Arguably the most important piece in a 3-4.  Dareus might be big and strong enough to do so.  Not sure he is coming back with his contract though.  That would be a position you'd need to fill before the season begins.  The two DE's are typically on the bigger side and are more run stoppers.  Campbell could probably play that role well but may lose some of his pass rushing benefits.  Not sure we'd have another obvious 3-4 end on the team.  Abry might be okay especially if you had that big nose tackle.  Taven gets pushed around too easily, not sure he'd have a spot on the team in a 3-4. Dawuane Smoot may not either.  He's too small for the line and would need to be a backup OLB.  But you'd have to make him a pass rusher only.  May need 4 or 5 new defensive lineman.  

Would Myles Jack fit in a 3-4?  I've always thought of the 3-4 inside backers as being bigger players.  Think Levon Kirkland of the Steelers who might have been 260-270 lbs.  Kirkland was a beast though who could also drop into coverage at his size.  Myles would have to play more a "weakside" ILB type role since we just dumped that big contract on him.  And we'd need to pair him up with a bigger LB which we dont have on the roster.

We could even have Dom Capers scheme up the 3-4 side of the flip. He's one of the best 3-4 guys.

(01-14-2020, 12:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 11:40 PM)TJBender Wrote: I don’t care how many guys play with their hand in the dirt as long as one of them can tackle the guy carrying the damn ball.
Amen. 

I’m cool if they just get NT and ILB fixed and get back to stopping the run in a 4-3. 

Def would want some tweaks to the Wash zone scheme and usage though.

Clearly things are getting away from them starting about midseason 2018 vs the run. That said, to Wash's credit, he's never finished a season outside of the top 6 overall until this season.
'02

(01-14-2020, 01:37 AM)enigma Wrote:

The problem is that we get GASHED from the interior on run plays.

Yes, either way we need to seriously upgrade the interior run defense. But I think a transition to what the Niners are doing is easier than switching to a 3-4. We don't have a NT or either ILB on the roster (Jack is NOT a 3-4 ILB) if we switch to a 3-4 that's a lot to find in one offseason.

(01-14-2020, 05:40 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Until Wash is gone nothing is changing. All the Seattle defenses get beat and Wash isn't even at the top.

We didn't have the personnel back then. We were trying to play wide 9 with guys like Babin and Branch. Also, you don't do a big end in SFs scheme. It's two legit fear inducing pass rushers.

(01-14-2020, 09:04 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 01:37 AM)enigma Wrote: The problem is that we get GASHED from the interior on run plays.

Yes, either way we need to seriously upgrade the interior run defense. But I think a transition to what the Niners are doing is easier than switching to a 3-4. We don't have a NT or either ILB on the roster (Jack is NOT a 3-4 ILB) if we switch to a 3-4 that's a lot to find in one offseason.

How in the world do you figure that Jack is not a 3-4 ILB? That would be a great spot for him.
'02

(01-14-2020, 10:23 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 09:04 AM)Upper Wrote: Yes, either way we need to seriously upgrade the interior run defense. But I think a transition to what the Niners are doing is easier than switching to a 3-4. We don't have a NT or either ILB on the roster (Jack is NOT a 3-4 ILB) if we switch to a 3-4 that's a lot to find in one offseason.

How in the world do you figure that Jack is not a 3-4 ILB? That would be a great spot for him.

He'd basically be doing the same thing he has already failed at.