Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 NFL Free Agents

Saw the Jags and Broncos possibly pursuing DJ Reader earlier. Anyone have a take on him?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-16-2020, 05:43 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 05:27 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/...3536691203

What do you think?

Thanks for providing the info!  This is the first I saw of the Lions agreeing to a contract with Halapoulivaati Vaitai.

The first thing that comes to mind is the copy and paste functions on computers are appreciated by me more than ever. LOL 

I thought Halapoulivaati Vaitai did a good job in the 2017 season when he replaced the injured Jason Peters at LT on what became an eventual Super Bowl Championship for the Eagles.

My guess is the Lions plan is to use Halapoulivaati Vaitai at RT.  With the flexibility of moving him to LT in 2021 if the Lions move on from Taylor Decker. 

Vaitai didn't come cheap.  But I think he proved that he was capable of being a starter in the NFL.  He bailed the Eagles out multiple times.  

One reassuring factor is the Lions new Defensive Coordinator Cory Undlin was the Eagles DB Coach.  His familiarity with Vaitai from practices,  watching practice tape involving his own unit, and being around the team, are likely a significant factors in the decision.  I expect one or more Eagles DBs to agree to contract terms with the Lions this off-season.  The Lions are rumored to be interested in CB Jalen Mills.

He had a very good 2017. Very big guy as well. Just what you want on the Oline. I like that Detroit are trying to work it out at Oline. Had some hit and misses as does everyone but its a group that seems to be getting better.

Hefty price, but what FA isnt? And after seeing Erick Flowers get $30m, every deal seems a bargain!

I'm starting to think we are gonna sign DJ Reader for a lot of money.

Heard a little rumor that the Jags are going hard on LB Cory Littleton.

Karl Joseph is a guy I hope we look at

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 09:10 PM by jaglou53.)

(03-16-2020, 07:47 PM)Jags239 Wrote: Saw the Jags and Broncos possibly pursuing DJ Reader earlier. Anyone have a take on him?

I saw the Broncos targeting him. He would be good since he is young and is coming off his best season.

(03-16-2020, 08:27 PM)Jagulars Wrote: Heard a little rumor that the Jags are going hard on LB Cory Littleton.

Doubt he'll come here. More likely Packers or Bills.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 09:37 PM by anonymous2112.)

(03-16-2020, 05:09 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Browns just picked up Jack Conklin. 3ys, $42m, $30m guaranteed

Not too much more!

They also just added Hooper.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...-bolster-o

And then, Atlanta replaced Hooper with Hurst. A bit expensive at having to give up a 2nd and 5th round pick and netting back a 4th. Not sure that would've been worth it in our case, but it would've been nice to see Hurst in teal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...ing-hooper

(03-16-2020, 08:10 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 05:43 PM)D6 Wrote: Thanks for providing the info!  This is the first I saw of the Lions agreeing to a contract with Halapoulivaati Vaitai.

The first thing that comes to mind is the copy and paste functions on computers are appreciated by me more than ever. LOL 

I thought Halapoulivaati Vaitai did a good job in the 2017 season when he replaced the injured Jason Peters at LT on what became an eventual Super Bowl Championship for the Eagles.

My guess is the Lions plan is to use Halapoulivaati Vaitai at RT.  With the flexibility of moving him to LT in 2021 if the Lions move on from Taylor Decker. 

Vaitai didn't come cheap.  But I think he proved that he was capable of being a starter in the NFL.  He bailed the Eagles out multiple times.  

One reassuring factor is the Lions new Defensive Coordinator Cory Undlin was the Eagles DB Coach.  His familiarity with Vaitai from practices,  watching practice tape involving his own unit, and being around the team, are likely a significant factors in the decision.  I expect one or more Eagles DBs to agree to contract terms with the Lions this off-season.  The Lions are rumored to be interested in CB Jalen Mills.

He had a very good 2017. Very big guy as well. Just what you want on the Oline. I like that Detroit are trying to work it out at Oline. Had some hit and misses as does everyone but its a group that seems to be getting better.

Hefty price, but what FA isnt? And after seeing Erick Flowers get $30m, every deal seems a bargain!

Bob Quinn, the Lions GM, has put a great amount of emphasis / resources on the Lions Offensive Line since become the GM in 2016.  I agree that it's been a mixed bag.  C Frank Ragnow looks like he's going to be amongst the best at his position in the NFL for a long time.  Beyond Ragnow,  there are questions marks in one or more ways.

Good point about the Ereck Flowers deal as a comparison point.   His NFL career has been a roller coaster. Even though Flowers is a better fit at LG than at LT,  giving him around $ 20 million of guaranteed money seems far too risky.  Some players only perform well when they are on a 'prove it contract'.

The Conkkin signing was a great deal imo.  I think the best deal of the day.

How are the Cowboys finding all this cap space jeez.

BOB signing cobb is hilarious. Very replaceable player at this point in his career

(03-16-2020, 07:47 PM)Jags239 Wrote: Saw the Jags and Broncos possibly pursuing DJ Reader earlier. Anyone have a take on him?

i would be all for it. Still young, good consistent player, very good against the run and give us lots of flexibility come draft day.

Like others mentioned, karl joseph could be another guy to look at if the price is reasonable. Though they will probably look at safety only in a few days.

Would stay away from WRs,TEs,OL in FA.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1239860602316763145

Dilla who's killing it said that LB Martinez was on our list but signed with Giants.

(03-17-2020, 12:21 AM)JackCity Wrote: BOB signing cobb is hilarious. Very replaceable player at this point in his career
What’s even more hilarious is the package the Vikings got for Diggs and then you see what Bob got for Hopkins!

(03-17-2020, 07:32 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 12:21 AM)JackCity Wrote: BOB signing cobb is hilarious. Very replaceable player at this point in his career
What’s even more hilarious is the package the Vikings got for Diggs and then you see what Bob got for Hopkins!

Precisely.  Diggs is a fairly good and productive receiver (averaging 73/925/6TDs) over the course of his career.  But good LORD! Hopkins is a 4x Pro Bowl/4x ALL PRO! It was almost a Hopkins for Johnson/2nd straight up.....the Cards FLEECED the tinhorns on that one. And Diggs is only one year YOUNGER than Hopkins!

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 12:18 PM by Upper.)

I'm glad we missed out on Martinez. He racked up the tackle numbers (often boosted by overzealous home team scorekeepers) but wasn't graded well otherwise, and the smart twitter Packers fans like Justis and the NFLfilm guy hated Martinez.

(03-17-2020, 07:32 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Sanu got traded for a 2nd just a handful of months ago!

Teddy to the Panthers

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 01:11 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Rivers to the Colts. Will be the best oline Rivers has ever played behind

(03-17-2020, 01:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Rivers to the Colts.  Will be the best oline Rivers has ever played behind

Oh great, Rivers twice a season now.

(03-17-2020, 01:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Teddy to the Panthers

I'm glad to see Teddy Bridgewater overcome enormous adversity to finally get a contract that is starter money.  Especially, on a team that for the most part I can root for Teddy to have success.