Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A possible offseason strategy - Invest massively in the offense

(01-17-2020, 07:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I get why people like the concept.

And if you share the opinion it's not gonna all get fixed in one year, then it makes even more sense.

Still gotta land a proper nose tackle and at least a decent ILB though, even if that's all you do on defense besides late round picks and UDFA for secondary and depth.

Personally, I still want a NT and CB prior to the 4th round in this draft and the best ILB you can muster in free agency.

This is why I think they'll stick with BAP in the 1st round. It's loaded talent wise on defense. You could land Brown or Kinlaw between the 9th or 20th pick potentially. Fall back on maybe a good ILB or S if the DT's are gone, etc. 

You could also land a solid CB on day two probably like Diggs out of Alabama. 

This still gives them an option to get a good offensive player in RD1 to address the offensive line somewhere. Can't wait for the combine and highlight reels already. Good year to have a pair of 1's.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-19-2020, 09:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

And if you share the opinion it's not gonna all get fixed in one year, then it makes even more sense.

Still gotta land a proper nose tackle and at least a decent ILB though, even if that's all you do on defense besides late round picks and UDFA for secondary and depth.

Personally, I still want a NT and CB prior to the 4th round in this draft and the best ILB you can muster in free agency.

This is why I think they'll stick with BAP in the 1st round. It's loaded talent wise on defense. You could land Brown or Kinlaw between the 9th or 20th pick potentially. Fall back on maybe a good ILB or S if the DT's are gone, etc. 

This still gives them an option to get a good offensive player in RD1 to address the offensive line somewhere. Can't wait for the combine and highlight reels already. Good year to have a pair of 1's.

*Sigh* 

Guys. Can we just retire the BAP stuff for at least one offseason

(01-19-2020, 12:06 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 09:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This is why I think they'll stick with BAP in the 1st round. It's loaded talent wise on defense. You could land Brown or Kinlaw between the 9th or 20th pick potentially. Fall back on maybe a good ILB or S if the DT's are gone, etc. 

*Sigh* 

Yeah, yeah, yeah. . . BAP in OUR minds Vs. FO minds. We'll revisit in April. This place is going to be popping off like crazy twice fold on draft night with both of those picks in play. 

It'll be funny as [BLEEP] if they trade No. 9 & No. 21 along with another 1st for 2021's draft to the Bengals though. Heads would explode.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-19-2020, 02:30 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 12:06 PM)JackCity Wrote: *Sigh* 

Yeah, yeah, yeah. . . BAP in OUR minds Vs. FO minds. We'll revisit in April. This place is going to be popping off like crazy twice fold on draft night with both of those picks in play. 

It'll be funny as [BLEEP] if they trade No. 9 & No. 21 along with another 1st for 2021's draft to the Bengals though. Heads would explode.

They'd just be creating another "Foles must play" situation where the guy who cost a lot has to be on the field even though the low cost other guy is the better player.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I think the absolute worst thing they could in the draft is trade away 2021 draft capital to try and fill immediate needs in a desperate attempt to win now.

(01-19-2020, 02:30 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 12:06 PM)JackCity Wrote: *Sigh* 

No as in bap and need are present in every pick.

(01-19-2020, 09:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

With this many holes, there's no excuse for not going with the best available player unless the BAP is a quarterback and someone's willing to jump up. Otherwise, there's really no reason not to just load up at every position you can.

I do really hope a LT is the best player on the board at 9 overall.

Was it Vic who brainwashed people here into thinking the draft is just a BAP or need strategy?

(01-20-2020, 02:04 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 09:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This is why I think they'll stick with BAP in the 1st round. It's loaded talent wise on defense. You could land Brown or Kinlaw between the 9th or 20th pick potentially. Fall back on maybe a good ILB or S if the DT's are gone, etc. 

With this many holes, there's no excuse for not going with the best available player unless the BAP is a quarterback and someone's willing to jump up. Otherwise, there's really no reason not to just load up at every position you can.

This, there is a need at pretty much every position so you go with BAP

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020, 07:46 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-20-2020, 04:14 AM)JackCity Wrote: Was it Vic who brainwashed people here into thinking the draft is just a BAP or need strategy?

I haven't seen anyone on here say this. You dont understand the arguement between BAP and need, what some teams and GMs do differently

(01-20-2020, 07:39 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 04:14 AM)JackCity Wrote: Was it Vic who brainwashed people here into thinking the draft is just a BAP or need strategy?

I haven't seen anyone on here say this.  You dont understand the arguement between BAP and need

Its been argued multiple times so it's odd you haven't seen it crop up. 

You haven't seen people label on pick or another BAP or need? It's redundant

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020, 07:58 AM by JackCity.)

When NFL teams make every pick they are combining their needs this year , next year and the following years with who they deem to be the "best" players available.

Nobody makes any pick independent of either which makes the term "let's just draft BAP" mostly useless

Also every pick should be selected while keeping positional value and depth of class in mind. That's why teams make horizontal boards too

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020, 08:08 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-20-2020, 07:52 AM)JackCity Wrote: When NFL teams make every pick they are combining their needs this year , next year and the following years with who they deem to be the "best" players available.  

Nobody makes any pick independent of either which makes the term "let's just draft BAP" mostly useless

Also every pick should be selected while keeping positional value and depth of class in mind. That's why teams make horizontal boards too

Sometimes teams dont pick who they feel is the best player.  Sometimes teams will take another player they the are high on but not as high because it's a bigger need.  That's what we are talking about and it's a good argument,  some people want to draft the bigger need.  We want to the best player regardless of which position is the bigger need.  I haven't seen people say what you keep posting, that people think need isnt factored in.  Show me that post in this thread?   There's almost always needs for every position, for every team whether it be this year or the following year.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020, 08:52 AM by JackCity.)

(01-20-2020, 08:07 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 07:52 AM)JackCity Wrote: When NFL teams make every pick they are combining their needs this year , next year and the following years with who they deem to be the "best" players available.  

Sometimes teams dont pick who they feel is the best player.  Sometimes teams will take another player they the are high on but not as high because it's a bigger need.  That's what we are talking about and it's a good argument,  some people want to draft the bigger need.  We want to the best player regardless of which position is the bigger need.  I haven't seen people say what you keep posting, that people think need isnt factored in.  Show me that post in this thread?   There's almost always needs for every position, for every team whether it be this year or the following year.

You just wrote out exactly what I said above. It's all included in the process

"BAP Drafting" is redundant is the point. So when someone says lets draft for bap it doesn't really mean anything. It's simply the process in which NFL teams select players

"This is why I think they'll stick with BAP in the 1st round."

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020, 09:02 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-20-2020, 08:49 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 08:07 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Sometimes teams dont pick who they feel is the best player.  Sometimes teams will take another player they the are high on but not as high because it's a bigger need.  That's what we are talking about and it's a good argument,  some people want to draft the bigger need.  We want to the best player regardless of which position is the bigger need.  I haven't seen people say what you keep posting, that people think need isnt factored in.  Show me that post in this thread?   There's almost always needs for every position, for every team whether it be this year or the following year.

You just wrote out exactly what I said above. It's all included in the process

"BAP Drafting" is redundant is the point. So when someone says lets draft for bap it doesn't really mean anything. It's simply the process in which NFL teams select players

How can you say it doesn't mean anything?  Last year we went BAP in round 1 and took Allen.  If we went need we would of take Hockenson because it was the bigger need. What's so hard to grasp?

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020, 09:07 AM by JackCity.)

(01-20-2020, 09:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 08:49 AM)JackCity Wrote: You just wrote out exactly what I said above. It's all included in the process

How can you say it doesn't mean anything?  Last year we went BAP in round 1 and took Allen.  If we went need we would of take Hockenson because it was the bigger need.  What's so hard to grasp?

Allen was also a need. With Calais moving inside more Allen was always gonna play starter level snaps rotating + Calais is very old. 

It's never *just* BAP. He was the best player on the board who also fills a need at the most valuable not QB position

(01-20-2020, 09:07 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 09:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How can you say it doesn't mean anything?  Last year we went BAP in round 1 and took Allen.  If we went need we would of take Hockenson because it was the bigger need.  What's so hard to grasp?

Allen was also a need. With Calais moving inside more Allen was always gonna play starter level snaps rotating + Calais is very old. 

It's never *just* BAP. He was the best player on the board who also fills a need at the most valuable not QB position
Allen was a need but he wasnt the bigger need, TE was.  That's need vs BAP.  Who on here is saying it's just BAP and not a need.  You keep saying people on here are saying this but I haven't seen anyone say this except you.  If I missed this feel free to quote that post.

(01-20-2020, 09:07 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 09:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How can you say it doesn't mean anything?  Last year we went BAP in round 1 and took Allen.  If we went need we would of take Hockenson because it was the bigger need.  What's so hard to grasp?

What's funny is you are acting like everyone on this board is confused when it comes to BAP vs need.  But I think you are the only one.

(01-20-2020, 09:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 09:07 AM)JackCity Wrote: Allen was also a need. With Calais moving inside more Allen was always gonna play starter level snaps rotating + Calais is very old. 

Allen was a need but he wasnt the bigger need, TE was.  That's need vs BAP.  Who on here is saying it's just BAP and not a need.  You keep saying people on here are saying this but I haven't seen anyone say this except you.  If I missed this feel free to quote that post.

You aren't following along here. BAP is a redundant term as every selection you make is a combination of the top players on your board + your needs + positional and depth of class. 

Saying "we should just draft BAP" doesn't actually mean anything, as NFL teams ALWAYs take the best players on their board in combination with needs and the aforementioned other items. So I don't know why it's talked about as if it's an actual draft strategy

(01-20-2020, 02:04 AM)TJBender Wrote:

I think there are many reasons. 

Let's assume you need LT, DT, ILB, TE, CB, FS, WR 

These positions have very disparate value and some require priority in early rounds above others -  some are simply greater needs - and then some positions are especially deep with good players this year. 

So, for instance if your scouting dept uses a 1-100 rating system and you've got a choice at #9 between a LT you grade at 88.9 and a WR you grade at 92.1  --  you damn well better take the left tackle even though he's not technically the "best available player."  

It's a greater need, it's weighted heavier in positional value, and there are a dozen receivers in this draft that could help your team. Whereas there may be only 3 or 4 worthy prospects at left tackle.