Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A possible offseason strategy - Invest massively in the offense

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2020, 01:34 PM by JagJohn.)

(01-18-2020, 12:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 12:16 PM)JagJohn Wrote: You're right of course, there's no real point (except for our own sanity and entertainment) in getting too specific with exact draft strategies until we see how this team is looking after losses and additions in FA. What we think now inevitably gets flipped on his head by the time the draft arrives.

And I agree that what they probably will do is go for the balanced approach. But I think giving Minshew, or whoever follows him, the absolute best chance to succeed should be priority #1. A balanced approach would most-likely leave us with average at best on both sides of the ball. Focussing on the offense this off-season could actually elevate that side to being good. I think that would be long-term more beneficial than a balanced approach.

My issue with this assumption of "average" offense is that Minshew actually put up good numbers despite what was around him in 2019.  
So what will he produce if the Jags manage to upgrade at least one lineman, add a TE better than the street free agents we ran with most of last year, and operate out of a new offense that doesn't hinge so heavily on Fournette? 

Because - I feel like those are attainable goals even while drafting a couple of defenders fairly early.

Yeah Minshew put up good numbers last year. At times he looked great, and at times he struggled. There were multiple moments when it looked as if defenses had him sussed, and once they took away his primary options he didn't have much of an answer for it, due to a lack of other weapons. The offense overall was not particularly good.

With moderate investment on offense it's fair to say there is a possibility of moderate improvement. With big investment it's fair to say there is a possibility of big improvement. That big investment makes sense because we will either see Minshew step up and we know we have our guy, or he struggles and we have an offense filled with weapons for a rookie to come into the next year.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A possible offseason strategy - Invest massively in the offense - by JagJohn - 01-18-2020, 01:33 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-18-2020, 08:27 AM