Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump Fires First Person After Being Acquitted By Senate

(02-09-2020, 06:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 07:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: I haven't served.  But I know there is a UCMJ.  But Congress was the author of the UCMJ. They can amend it.  They have the right and the power to question members of the military about many subjects, including possible amendments to the UCMJ.

How do you come to this ridiculous conclusion?  You do know (oh wait... you didn't serve so you don't know) that the military operates under a total different set of laws on top of current Federal, State and Local Laws according to where they happen to be stationed.

Let me give you a little civics lesson since you didn't seem to get it in your government school.

Did you know that the Captain of a Navy ship could order a sailor confined and only given bread and water?  This without a trial by Judge and Jury?  Think it doesn't happen?  I've seen it.

Second of all, a member of the military is under the command of the Executive branch of government who's ultimate Commander and Chief is The President of The United States.  Congress has 0% power over any military member.

My point is, with your ignorance regarding the military you probably shouldn't be commenting on what they "can and can't" do or whether a career move is "lateral".

Of course I know a captain of a ship has absolute power over all the passengers on the ship. Everyone knows that.  It even applies to cruise ships. Until you get to port, the Captain's word is law. If the captain abuses his power, he might be in trouble after the ship reaches port, but as a passenger or enlisted person you would rather not wait for that. 

but Congress does have the power to question any member of the military about anything, just like they have the power to question any civilian about anything. You can invoke certain rights and legal principles, and not answer, but they still have the right to ask. They do not have the power to give orders, obviously, but you're wrong to say they have no power at all.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump Fires First Person After Being Acquitted By Senate - by mikesez - 02-09-2020, 07:32 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 02-10-2020, 11:57 AM