Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Combine thoughts and observations

Akers, Taylor & Swift showing good 40 times with tonight's RB group.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2020, 09:53 PM by JackCity.)

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1233...10977?s=19

Wirfs clocks in with a 72nd percentile 3 come and 60th or so shuttle. At around the 68th percentile in weight.

Amazing athlete

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2020, 10:04 PM by JackCity.)

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1233...46400?s=19

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1233...94976?s=19

Yikes, Uppers boy Jedrick Wills with a 4.84 20 yard shuttle , 34th percentile.

Jonathan Taylor ran a 4.3 tonight. Showed hands too. Casserly has him mocked to the tacks at 29th overall to pair up with Derrick Henry. There's no way he slips there.

Starting to like Wirfs and Thomas with that 9th overall pick. That's if they last that long though. Giants and Cardinals have young QB investments to protect.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Is Jackson in the first round mix too?

Looks like we could see a few OTs go in round one this year.

This answers my “what went wrong for Shenault?” question yesterday...

(From Ian R)

#Colorado WR Laviska Shenault, one the top players in a stacked position group, is having surgery Tuesday to repair a core muscle injury that he played through this season, sources say. Shenault ran a 4.59 while battling the injury.

5.1 40 for AJ should drop him to round 2

Kenneth Murray testing lights out just behind Simmons. 38" vert and 129" Broad at 6'2 241

4.39u for Simmons..

Simmons scorched that 40. I like Patrick Queen though too. But Simmons has a ton of range. Would be tempted to play him at Safety over Linebacker.

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2020, 09:36 PM by Caldrac.)

So Murray tweeked his hamstring. Looks like Queen just tweeked his too shortly after. Pretty crazy.

Simmons probably won't slip to No. 9. Think he just solidified his status.

(02-29-2020, 09:12 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Simmons scorched that 40. I like Patrick Queen though too. But Simmons has a ton of range. Would be tempted to play him at Safety over Linebacker.

Yeah, I envisioned him playing safety in base packages and moving to LB for nickel.

Looks like he will be long gone before we pick though.

Brown was as disappointing as Simmons was unbelievable.

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2020, 10:12 PM by JackCity.)

(02-29-2020, 10:06 PM)Upper Wrote: Brown was as disappointing as Simmons was unbelievable.

Good weight adjusted jumps and speed. 3 cone was horrific but don't really care about testing for players like that. 

So the above is absolutely hyperbole

Also should note the agility drills are down right across the board with the new format which makes people do the agility drills with less rest and way later in the day

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2020, 10:49 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-29-2020, 10:09 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 10:06 PM)Upper Wrote: Brown was as disappointing as Simmons was unbelievable.

Good weight adjusted jumps and speed. 3 cone was horrific but don't really care about testing for players like that. 

Also should note the agility drills are down right across the board with the new format which makes people do the agility drills with less rest and way later in the day

While the combine is interesting, what you see here is not the ball.end all to player evaluation.

I remember when people ridiculed Alabama's Andre Smith for having a bad, jiggly body.  Same with Orlando Brown Jr.  Both wound up being good RTs for the Bengals and Ravens, respectively.  Terrell Suggs ran a 4.9 40, which is slow for an edge rusher.  Yet he wound up being one of the best pass rushers over the past 20 years.  Conversely, John Ross ran a record 4.22 40 yard dash for the Bengals, and hasn't done anything.  Also google Mike Mamula when you get a chance if you are unfamiliar with him.

The combine is an important part of the pre draft evaluation process, but it isn't the only part.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-29-2020, 10:26 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 10:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: Good weight adjusted jumps and speed. 3 cone was horrific but don't really care about testing for players like that. 

While the combine is interesting, what you see here is not the ball.end all to player evaluation.

I remember when people ridiculed Alabama's Andre Smith for having a bad, jiggly body.  Same with Orlando Brown Jr.  Both wound up being good RTs for the Bengals and Ravens, respectively.  Terrell Suggs ran a 4.9 40, which is slow for an edge rusher.  Yet he wound up being one of the best pass rushers over the past 20 years.  Conversely, John Ross ran a record 4.22 40 yard dash for the Bengals, and hasn't done anything.  Also google Mike Mamula when you get a chance if you are unfamiliar with him.

The combine is an important part of the ore draft evaluation process, but it isn't the only part.

What they do on the field is significantly more important. 

I mainly use the testing as something to separate between the tiers and as tie breakers between players, while also flagging players at other positions or elite athletes who may be upside plays on day 3. 

So for instance with Brown if you had him as a tier 1 DT on tape, nothing that happened today should alter that imo

(02-29-2020, 10:38 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 10:26 PM)Bullseye Wrote: While the combine is interesting, what you see here is not the ball.end all to player evaluation.

The combine is an important part of the ore draft evaluation process, but it isn't the only part.

What they do on the field is significantly more important. 

I mainly use the testing as something to separate between the tiers and as tie breakers between players, while also flagging players at other positions or elite athletes who may be upside plays on day 3. 

So for instance with Brown if you had him as a tier 1 DT on tape, nothing that happened today should alter that imo
Exactly right.

It's rare that a guy like Brown is going to have to run 40 yards.  In most of those circumstances, if he's running 40 yards for you, something went very wrong.

Bottom line is not to overreact to the combine performances.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-29-2020, 10:09 PM)JackCity Wrote:

Weight adjustment helps, but I don't think 27" and 9' are good at any weight.

(02-29-2020, 11:41 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 10:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: Good weight adjusted jumps and speed. 3 cone was horrific but don't really care about testing for players like that. 

Weight adjustment helps, but I don't think 27" and 9' are good at any weight.

His broad jump was near elite weight adjusted. His vert around average. Speed was above average weight adjusted. 

So yeah your comment was completely hyperbole, and these drills barely even matter relative to his play on the field

Damn, SImmons testing out of this world...

Sucks because I was excited if he was available at 9, but now unless by some miracle of some sort, he won't be there.