Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Third-down back

A pass-catching and pass-protecting RB has been a staple of Gruden's offenses over the years. This is from the interview with him on the main site:

Q: What's the importance of a third-down back who can be productive as a receiver?

A: I think it's important for everybody. You look at the success of most of these teams: San Francisco had their little back that they throw to; Kansas City Chiefs and the New Orleans Saints … the teams that have success throwing the football, that matchup has to win. If teams are going to drop back and play zone [defensively], that check-down area where he [a third-down running back] gets the ball is critical. And the position is key in protection. With the variety of blitzes teams are showing, you have to have a back that can protect and know who to block and then obviously get out here and separate and win in pass routes. That position is something we need to look at. Something we have to work through is where we're going to go as far as type of tight end. There are different types of tight ends now. It would be nice if it was all-encompassing: "Hey, this guy's a great blocker, a great route-runner and can do everything…" There's not many of those. There are different ways to get different skill sets you can use.

Who do you like in this draft that could fill that role? I personally have visions of Edwards-Helaire and Fournette forming a two man backfield reminiscent (in some ways at least) of Fred and MoJo. Edwards-Helaire will probably be gone early though, probably much earlier than the Jags would be looking at taking a RB.

Another guy I like, who might be around later, is Lamical Perine. Seems to be strong on pass pro and receiving.

Which other options do you like?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

draft Swift form Georgia with the 20th pick.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2020, 12:14 PM by JagJohn.)

I also find it interesting that Gruden chooses to talk about the type of tight end we need while discussing 3rd down backs... It seems like the approach to one position somewhat dictates the approach to the other. Like if you have a receiving TE who's weaker at blocking, it's possible you need a stronger pass-protector at RB and vice versa. I'm undoubtedly simplifying things but they are surely connected. I personally think we might be in the market for a blocking TE, as Oliver is more a receiving threat... but who knows.

(02-27-2020, 12:09 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: draft Swift form Georgia with the 20th pick.

This would be dumb.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2020, 12:13 AM by enigma.)

I'd like to draft JJ Taylor from Arizona in rounds 6-7.

Looking forward in seeing his 40 time, but he is very shifty, has pretty good hands for a RB and could be a good change of pace back to Fournette.

Eno Benjamin would be a nice one.

Big fan of Perine (round 3 or 4)
Also like the suggestion of JJ Taylor as a late rounder.
People assume Chris Thompson will make his way here as a cheap vet FA from Gruden's Washington days which wouldn't be a bad signing but I'm not sure if he'll ever get close to that 2017 production

Oddly enough, Leonard Fournette has sort-of emerged as a pretty good third down back.
Good protection, above average hands/receiving ability, and still a threat to run despite short yardage struggles in the RZ.

Nonetheless, the roster is in need of a C.o.P. back candidate outside of Ozigbo who can take some of those snaps or operate in a two-back set with LF. I'd love to see a lighter, shiftier back (with hands) added on day three to round out that RB room. Several intriguing candidates in this draft. Shouldn't be hard to land one if it's actually on Caldwell's radar.

I love Clyde Edwards-Helaire. I think he's another MJD.

(03-04-2020, 09:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I love Clyde Edwards-Helaire.   I think he's another MJD.

Me too, and my heart flutters.

CEH is dope but I'm not spending a 2nd rounder on a RB.

(03-04-2020, 09:02 PM)Upper Wrote: CEH is dope but I'm not spending a 2nd rounder on a RB.

Agreed. 3rd or 4th round is my target area for RB this draft.
But if we dump/trade any more of our talent... It may become a position not worth spending any draft capital on this year. 
CB just jumped up the list of needs even more than it already was.
NT, CB, LB, TE, RG, probably should be addressed before RB.
Suppose free agency may have some effect on our immediate needs..... if we can manage to get any players to actually want to play here

(02-28-2020, 10:17 AM)Kane Wrote: Big fan of Perine (round 3 or 4)
Also like the suggestion of JJ Taylor as a late rounder.
People assume Chris Thompson will make his way here as a cheap vet FA from Gruden's Washington days which wouldn't be a bad signing but I'm not sure if he'll ever get close to that 2017 production

Or just sign Dion Lewis, a proven third-down back. If it's that important to Gruden's offense, get him a proven-commodity.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Just get McFarland or Gibson in the 4th

(03-04-2020, 09:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I love Clyde Edwards-Helaire.   I think he's another MJD.

MJD ran a 4.39. CEH ran a 4.6.  One of the many things that made MJD so good was his speed