Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is this the next Poz?

If we assume Jack isn’t our future MLB then we need to find someone else to play the Poz role.

And this guy not only has similar measurements to Poz, he is praised for his instincts, his understanding of the MLB position and his tackling. He also performed better than expected at the combine. 

So is there a better option than Logan Wilson?

Take a read...

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/logan-wils...00a41bbeba

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wash's scheme or not, the modern NFL is now geared toward faster inside linebackers. Which makes this guy a bit of a throwback "Poz type" LB. Which is fine if you are going to scheme around the coverage limitations. We already know that Wash will not scheme around his MLB's coverage limitations, so...

Personally, I wouldn't hate having an old school guy in the middle vs the run, but I'd be prepared to hear the same chorus of hate from this fanbase every week when he inevitably gets mismatched and burned in coverage.

(03-05-2020, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Wash's scheme or not, the modern NFL is now geared toward faster inside linebackers. Which makes this guy a bit of a throwback "Poz type" LB.  Which is fine if you are going to scheme around the coverage limitations. We already know that Wash will not scheme around his MLB's coverage limitations, so...

Personally, I wouldn't hate having an old school guy in the middle vs the run, but I'd be prepared to hear the same chorus of hate from this fanbase every week when he inevitably gets mismatched and burned in coverage.

He ran a 4.63 in the 40 at the combine - the 12th fastest Linebacker.  Not Isaiah Simmons, but fast enough I think?

(03-05-2020, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Wash's scheme or not, the modern NFL is now geared toward faster inside linebackers. Which makes this guy a bit of a throwback "Poz type" LB.  Which is fine if you are going to scheme around the coverage limitations. We already know that Wash will not scheme around his MLB's coverage limitations, so...

Yeah, I wouldn't hate it if they took an athletically-limited thumper like Weaver or Quarterman late in the draft and use them as part of a rotation of LBs depending on game situations.

(03-05-2020, 11:31 AM)Andy G Wrote:

He ran a 4.63 in the 40 at the combine - the 12th fastest Linebacker.  Not Isaiah Simmons, but fast enough I think?

Bobby Wagner ran a 4.46.  That's the new prototype. 

Mid 4.5's are fine.  
4.63 is leaning to the old school at this stage for NFL linebackers. 

Wilson may play faster than that time suggests and do just fine in coverage in the NFL, I don't know because I haven't watched him play. I'm just sharing my opinion on where the position is headed league wide.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2020, 06:22 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Kuechly ran a 4.58 and was one of if not the best coverage MLB in the game. If your instincts and play recognition are very good or elite, a 4.6 is plenty fast enough. Of course being a very good tackler helps

(03-05-2020, 06:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Kuechly ran a 4.58 and was one of if not the best coverage MLB in the game.  If your instincts and play recognition are very good or elite, a 4.6 is plenty fast enough.  Of course being a very good tackler helps

Darius Leonard, Leonard Vander Esh, Eric Kendricks also ran similar times (or slower).

(03-05-2020, 06:28 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 06:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Kuechly ran a 4.58 and was one of if not the best coverage MLB in the game.  If your instincts and play recognition are very good or elite, a 4.6 is plenty fast enough.  Of course being a very good tackler helps

Darius Leonard, Leonard Vander Esh, Eric Kendricks also ran similar times (or slower).

All 3 probably a top 5 MLB in the game

A lot of linebackers from this year's group all ran pretty well. Think there was roughly 10 - 15 guys that either ran under 4.6 or right at 4.6. I really like Jordan Brooks out of Texas Tech and Malik Harrison out of Ohio St. for our team from this class at the moment though.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The only way in today's NFL to put a throwback run-stuffing MLB in the lineup is to make him blitz exclusively on passing plays or limit him to shallow zone coverage just behind the LOS. You don't want a POZ running down the field trying to cover anyone.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Schobert ran a 4.76, slower than Poz's 40 time lol.  We got a really throwback " Poz type" LB.  Although he is one of the best coverage MLBs

(03-18-2020, 08:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Schobert ran a 4.76, slower than Poz's 40 time lol.  We got a really throwback " Poz type" LB.  Although he is one of the best coverage MLBs

And I'm sure we'll hear a familiar chorus of whining the first time he's beat in coverage. Just like we did with Poz. 

Seriously though:
 Like I already said earlier in the thread, there are guys that play faster than their 40 time suggests. Wilson may be one of them. Schobert appears to be one of them.  I hope that he continues to be. I was merely pointing out the current trend around the league with faster MLBs.