Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags sign DL Rodney Gunter

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2020, 01:24 PM by knarnn.)

https://twitter.com/chucksmithnfl/status...89120?s=21

[Image: EY-BgHmWsAEi44R?format=jpg&name=large]
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Simply an acquisition made to increase Season Ticket sales. Dude is from Haines City (near Lakeland) so we're slowly transitioning Bucs fans over to the Jags (since they have nothing to look forward to this year)

(05-27-2020, 02:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: JSimply an acquisition made to increase Season Ticket sales.  Dude is from Haines City (near Lakeland) so we're slowly transitioning Bucs fans over to the Jags (since they have nothing to look forward to this year)

2018-2019 stats :

7.5 sacks, 29 QB pressures, 19 QB hits, 20 tackles for loss, and 86 solo tackles
Not bad for averaging 56% of the defensive snaps.

(05-27-2020, 05:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 02:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: JSimply an acquisition made to increase Season Ticket sales.  Dude is from Haines City (near Lakeland) so we're slowly transitioning Bucs fans over to the Jags (since they have nothing to look forward to this year)

2018-2019 stats :

7.5 sacks, 29 QB pressures, 19 QB hits,  20 tackles for loss, and 86 solo tackles
Not bad

Wow --- that is actually impressive.

What was Mike Tyson doing in the gym? And how did he meet Rodney Gunter? Does this mean Mike Tyson is a Jaguars fan now? It's a mythtery...

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2020, 02:45 AM by Eric1.)

(05-28-2020, 01:22 AM)TJBender Wrote: What was Mike Tyson doing in the gym? And how did he meet Rodney Gunter? Does this mean Mike Tyson is a Jaguars fan now? It's a mythtery...

He showed up on that wrestling show AEW?? The one the Khans own or whatever. I'm sure he was in town for that and likely why he was at the Jags facility for a workout etc.

(05-28-2020, 02:43 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 01:22 AM)TJBender Wrote: What was Mike Tyson doing in the gym? And how did he meet Rodney Gunter? Does this mean Mike Tyson is a Jaguars fan now? It's a mythtery...

He showed up on that wrestling show AEW?? The one the Khans own or whatever. I'm sure he was in town for that and likely why he was at the Jags facility for a workout etc.

Tyson is friends with Tony Khan. He was in town for the AEW Double or Nothing PPV over the weekend. He handed out the belt to Cody Rhodes after he won the inaugural TNT title on Saturday.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-27-2020, 05:59 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 05:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 2018-2019 stats :

7.5 sacks, 29 QB pressures, 19 QB hits,  20 tackles for loss, and 86 solo tackles
Not bad

Wow --- that is actually impressive.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but 7.5 sacks over two seasons isn't really that impressive.

(05-28-2020, 11:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 05:59 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Wow --- that is actually impressive.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but 7.5 sacks over two seasons isn't really that impressive.

For a rotational DT that plays 56% of the snaps and is touted more as a run D player, it ain't bad. 
The pressure number is also considerable.

(05-28-2020, 11:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 11:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Sorry to be a wet blanket, but 7.5 sacks over two seasons isn't really that impressive.

For a rotational DT that plays 56% of the snaps and is touted more as a run D player, it ain't bad. 
The pressure number is also considerable.

The best part about him is he is only getting better. He has improved year after year with the most improvement being over the last 2 years. And to be fair, only the elite of the elite DTs rack up sacks. They are mainly there to eat up blocks to keep the linebackers clean.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2020, 02:47 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I'm not real concerned about sacks coming from the DT position considering we're built around edge rushers and pressure perhaps coming from the LB (Chaisson) or even Henderson at times (see his blitzing highlights at UF).

That said, I just noticed we paying $6M per year so that seems like a lot but we have the $$ so why not (given there is no long term cap hits)

Rodney Gunter is not Aaron Donald, but...

Rodney Gunter is better than Taven Bryan

(06-04-2020, 01:39 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Rodney Gunter is not Aaron Donald, but...

Taven gets too much hate around here. He made big strides his sophomore season and has shown enough splash plays that if he is able to continue improving he can be an impact defender. He was raw when we drafted him and hes still plenty young. I belive he's going to have a breakout year.

(06-05-2020, 02:05 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 01:39 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Rodney Gunter is not Aaron Donald, but...

Taven gets too much hate around here. He made big strides his sophomore season and has shown enough splash plays that if he is able to continue improving he can be an impact defender. He was raw when we drafted him and hes still plenty young. I belive he's going to have a breakout year.

I'm not a fan of drafting raw projects in the first round (see also Jones, Matt). The contract runs only so many years. If they're good, half the time they price themselves out of the second contract, so get 'em good from the get go. Having two wasted warm-up years is a waste.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(06-06-2020, 11:07 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 02:05 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Taven gets too much hate around here. He made big strides his sophomore season and has shown enough splash plays that if he is able to continue improving he can be an impact defender. He was raw when we drafted him and hes still plenty young. I belive he's going to have a breakout year.

I'm not a fan of drafting raw projects in the first round (see also Jones, Matt). The contract runs only so many years. If they're good, half the time they price themselves out of the second contract, so get 'em good from the get go. Having two wasted warm-up years is a waste.

Exactly. Taven is a bust, can't get around that. No matter how good he is this year, his first 2 years are 1st round bust material.

(06-07-2020, 07:24 AM)uthill Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 11:07 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: I'm not a fan of drafting raw projects in the first round (see also Jones, Matt). The contract runs only so many years. If they're good, half the time they price themselves out of the second contract, so get 'em good from the get go. Having two wasted warm-up years is a waste.

Exactly. Taven is a bust, can't get around that. No matter how good he is this year, his first 2 years are 1st round bust material.

You have an unconventional definition of the term “bust.” 

I saw a blurb recently on Taven a few weeks ago that highlighted an uptick in his number of pressures and overall performance in the last 5 games of the 2019 season. Nothing earth shattering- but significant.

I’m interested to see if he can take a step for us this year. Hard to guess at how much Wash mixes things up this year with all of the 3/4 talk surrounding the offseason — but Taven will probably see 50-60% of the 3 tech snaps. This is his opportunity to prove the “bust” choir members wrong. No matter how loosely they define the term. 

I think the project pick turns out to be a solid rotational DT with flashes of something better than that. 
Certainly not a bust, but probably not a very good pick either.

(06-07-2020, 11:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 07:24 AM)uthill Wrote: Exactly. Taven is a bust, can't get around that. No matter how good he is this year, his first 2 years are 1st round bust material.

You have an unconventional definition of the term “bust.” 

I saw a blurb recently on Taven a few weeks ago that highlighted an uptick in his number of pressures and overall performance in the last 5 games of the 2019 season. Nothing earth shattering- but significant.

I’m interested to see if he can take a step for us this year. Hard to guess at how much Wash mixes things up this year with all of the 3/4 talk surrounding the offseason — but Taven will probably see 50-60% of the 3 tech snaps. This is his opportunity to prove the “bust” choir members wrong. No matter how loosely they define the term. 

I think the project pick turns out to be a solid rotational DT with flashes of something better than that. 
Certainly not a bust, but probably not a very good pick either.

I think Taven contributes more this season. The guy is blessed with exceptional speed and strength, but he's had trouble coupling it with technique and a lack of intuition. I get the argument of wasting money on a development project, however, he seems to be progressing nicely.

(06-06-2020, 11:07 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 02:05 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Taven gets too much hate around here. He made big strides his sophomore season and has shown enough splash plays that if he is able to continue improving he can be an impact defender. He was raw when we drafted him and hes still plenty young. I belive he's going to have a breakout year.

BOTTOM of the first round is a fine place to take a project.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]