Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Tight End Situation

Quick break down of rostered players:

Josh Oliver:   Unproven but promising.
Looks like a top flight prospect on paper but his rookie year was marred by injury. Only healthy for 4 or 5 games in 2019 - he was unable to create chemistry with Foles or Minshew - both of which were too frequently pressured to rush passes or scramble. 

James O'Shaugnessy:  Decent contributor if healthy. 
Has proven to be a worthy target in the passing game and a satisfactory blocker at times. Recovering from knee injury may keep him from contributing early in 2020. Not the worst #2 TE around, but likely won't be 100% in September. 

Charles Jones: Bit of a project with H-Back skills. 
Jones played some H-Back at Tulane and could be used as a lead blocker there instead of a full back if he takes to it in camp.  Gruden has employed the H-Back at times before. Jones has experience receiving from that spot as well as the F and Y positions more common for TE. Not the fastest or most nimble athlete but displayed sure hands in college career. 

Free Agency -

Some players who are still out there that might be considered on mid tier or cheap deals:
Charles Clay
Nick Vannett
Delanie Walker
David Morgan
Luke Stocker
Tyler Eifert 

I think Charles Clay could be a good veteran presence that could still contribute a bit on the field at 31 years old. 

Draft - 

This year's crop is universally heralded as weak compared to recent years. Top prospects include:
Kmet
Trautman
Hopkins
Bryant
Moss
the other Bryant
Parkinson
Breeland

A number of these guys may me hanging around in the 4th, 5th or 6th round but may not be big contributors year one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Very pathetic at this time.

So basically, what you're saying is that our TE situation sucks, and help is not on the way.

I’m really hoping the Jags take a look at Donald Parham from the NFL. Seems like he could be a good project and maybe our version of Darren Walker. Guys with that size and athleticism are rare. He also has experience with Jay Gruden.

(03-21-2020, 09:21 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: I’m really hoping the Jags take a look at Donald Parham from the NFL. Seems like he could be a good project and maybe our version of Darren Walker. Guys with that size and athleticism are rare. He also has experience with Jay Gruden.

You mean XFL I think.

I did the legwork for my fellow 2nd tier fans: Parham is 22 YO, 6'8" 237 from Stetson. Signed with the Lions as a UDFA in 2019- Wiki.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(03-21-2020, 09:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So basically, what you're saying is that our TE situation sucks, and help is not on the way.

Well, I'm saying the cupboard looks a bit like the T.P. aisle at Target right now.

I actually have some confidence in Oliver being quite useful in the passing game. He was getting open last year in those few games he played, but Minshew/Foles were either not looking his way or running for their lives.
And I wouldn't rule out James. O. being useful by midseason. Just don't know the severity of injury/recovery stage. Local radio said he blew the ACL, so...

Outside of that stuff, they need bodies for camp. 
I'd wager we see one FA signing, a draft pick before the 6th round and an UDFA or two.  Fingers crossed that they get production from Oliver, someone steps up as a #2 receiving end,  and a solid blocker emerges.

(03-21-2020, 09:28 AM)PF* Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 09:21 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: I’m really hoping the Jags take a look at Donald Parham from the NFL. Seems like he could be a good project and maybe our version of Darren Walker. Guys with that size and athleticism are rare. He also has experience with Jay Gruden.

You mean XFL I think.

I did the legwork for my fellow 2nd tier fans: Parham is 22 YO, 6'8" 237 from Stetson. Signed with the Lions as a UDFA in 2019- Wiki.

Whoops, yeah the XFL. He has bulked up to 257lb and was recorded running over 21 mph in a XFL game. He was on a tear before the season ended.

(03-21-2020, 09:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 09:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So basically, what you're saying is that our TE situation sucks, and help is not on the way.

Well, I'm saying the cupboard looks a bit like the T.P. aisle at Target right now.

I actually have some confidence in Oliver being quite useful in the passing game. He was getting open last year in those few games he played, but Minshew/Foles were either not looking his way or running for their lives.
And I wouldn't rule out James. O. being useful by midseason. Just don't know the severity of injury/recovery stage. Local radio said he blew the ACL, so...

I'd wager we see one FA signing, a draft pick before the 6th round and an UDFA or two.  Fingers crossed that they get production from Oliver, someone steps up as a #2 receiving end,  and a solid blocker emerges.

Being a 2nd tier fan, I am too lazy to do the legwork here but of your list, which of these guys are more accomplished blockers and which are more accomplished receivers and which ones blend the skills most ideally?

Kmet
Trautman
Hopkins
Harrison Bryant
Moss
Hunter the other Bryant
Parkinson
Breeland

(03-21-2020, 09:39 AM)PF* Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 09:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Well, I'm saying the cupboard looks a bit like the T.P. aisle at Target right now.

Being a 2nd tier fan, I am too lazy to do the legwork here but of your list, which of these guys are more accomplished blockers and which are more accomplished receivers and which ones blend the skills most ideally?

Kmet
Trautman
Hopkins
Harrison Bryant
Moss
Hunter the other Bryant
Parkinson
Breeland

I'm lazy on this front too. 
Many of these players have evaluations listed here:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

and here: 
http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

(03-21-2020, 08:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Quick break down of rostered players:

Josh Oliver:   Unproven but promising.
Looks like a top flight prospect on paper but his rookie year was marred by injury. Only healthy for 4 or 5 games in 2019 - he was unable to create chemistry with Foles or Minshew - both of which were too frequently pressured to rush passes or scramble. 

James O'Shaugnessy:  Decent contributor if healthy. 
Has proven to be a worthy target in the passing game and a satisfactory blocker at times. Recovering from knee injury may keep him from contributing early in 2020. Not the worst #2 TE around, but likely won't be 100% in September. 

Charles Jones: Bit of a project with H-Back skills. 
Jones played some H-Back at Tulane and could be used as a lead blocker there instead of a full back if he takes to it in camp.  Gruden has employed the H-Back at times before. Jones has experience receiving from that spot as well as the F and Y positions more common for TE. Not the fastest or most nimble athlete but displayed sure hands in college career. 

Free Agency -

Some players who are still out there that might be considered on mid tier or cheap deals:
Charles Clay
Nick Vannett
Delanie Walker
David Morgan
Luke Stocker
Tyler Eifert 

I think Charles Clay could be a good veteran presence that could still contribute a bit on the field at 31 years old. 

Draft - 

This year's crop is universally heralded as weak compared to recent years. Top prospects include:
Kmet
Trautman
Hopkins
Bryant
Moss
the other Bryant
Parkinson
Breeland

A number of these guys may me hanging around in the 4th, 5th or 6th round but may not be big contributors year one.

Eifert might be a worthwhile stopgap. He didn't do a whole lot of starting in Cincinnati last year, but he still hauled in 43 receptions at 10 yards a clip, he stayed healthy through all 16 games for the first time, well, ever, and he's only 29. He's probably the best option left out there, and the only one that would be a likely upgrade over what we've got. Clay and Walker both have name recognition, but Clay has fallen off badly the last two years and, at 31, isn't getting any better. Walker is 35, has only played 8 games in the last two years, and is probably done.

The draft stinks for tight ends this year. There's probably not an upgrade over what we've got to be had there unless we reach for Kmet. I think the best way to find a tight end right now if the team doesn't think Oliver can get it done would be to pack up a couple of those mid-round picks we're hoarding and send them off to another team for a promising backup of theirs.

Wouldn't hurt at all to sign him to a cheap deal. Gruden should know if he has a chance to succeed at the NFL level. If he turned out even close to what Waller did for the Raiders it would be a steal.

You can’t rely on rookie TEs so I wouldn’t draft one this year. Sign a vet and roll with him and Oliver.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2020, 01:49 PM by PF*.)

(03-21-2020, 09:39 AM)PF* Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 09:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Well, I'm saying the cupboard looks a bit like the T.P. aisle at Target right now.

Kmet
Trautman
Hopkins
Harrison Bryant
Moss
Hunter the other Bryant
Parkinson
Breeland

Kmet- receiver, comp is Tyler Higbee

Trautman- receiver, no NFL comp

Hopkins- dropsies, no mention of blocking, no NFL comp

Harrison Bryant- "well-rounded", comp is George Kittle

Moss- more blocker, only 6-2, comp is MyCole Pruitt whoever that is

Hunter the other Bryant- receiver, only 6-2, comp is Jordan Reed

Parkinson- receiver, 6-7, comp is Mike Gesicki

Breeland- receiver, no blocking, no NFL comp

Pinckney- receiver, no NFL comp

All info from Lance Zierline on NFL Combine link from NYCJags

And, Frank Wychek is still wide open in the back of the Jag's endzone.

Wow, you know what? I forgot about O-Shaun, after he left Minshew got less comfortable. Him and Minshew were developing a nice rapport before the injury

What about O'Leary?

We could have the three O's
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(03-21-2020, 02:58 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: What about O'Leary?

We could have the three O's

Signed with raiders

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2020, 01:58 AM by KABD.)

Adam Trautman seems to have the most all around potential. Also ran an amazing three cone time, which is an important drill for TE's.

Hunter Bryant is a bad blocker but probably the best receiving TE.

Get Trautman in the 4th round if possible.

Bring in Tyler Eifert on a cheap deal and bring in Robby Anderson. Get rid of Marqise Lee and this offense already looks better with O-Line in the draft to come.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2020, 06:09 AM by Caldrac.)

Jordan Reed is out there. I know he's been oft injured but he's still 29 years old and already has worked within Jay Gruden's offense. May be able to bring him in on a "prove it" for a year kind of deal.

As far as the draft? I have been hyping up Harrison Bryant from Florida Atlantic for awhile now. And I also like Adam Trautman. I think the TE position will be improved in 2020. Just needs Oliver & O'Shaughnessy to stay healthy and we need to snag a legitimate pass catching type of receiver at the position who can move and flex out in the slot area if need be.

Trautman & Bryant fit those needs. And with 12 picks in the draft there's no reason to walk out of there without one of them. Jordan Reed would still be a guy I would try to sign anyway for camp work at the very least. See if he's been staying in shape while missing the year and see if he still has some ability.

I still have high hopes for Oliver. Predicted he would be a Jaguar last year. I liked what he put on the highlight reel coming out of college. And it's not fair to bash him too much when you consider the hamstring was an issue for him all year and then the few times he did get to play he was getting hung out to dry by Foles. Hopefully his conditioning has improved this year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."