Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Case for Going QB Early (Long)

(03-23-2020, 09:07 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 08:46 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Hard to type with a 60 lb. dog on my lap.

I think the examples you used do not apply here. Certainly the poor choices we made instead are an argument against poor drafting in general rather than position strategy.

Leftwich was playing well and steadily improving, so that might be a similar case. He may have been the franchise QB we drafted him to be had he not been injured in 2005.

Except that in 2004 Roethlisberger should have been drafted whether or not we needed a QB because he was the last of the 1st-tier players. Had another 1st-tier player from that draft been available, say Sean Taylor, it would have been the same mistake to draft Reggie Williams instead. 

Aaron Rodgers was a "Tedford QB" and a lot of teams passed on him. Also, he had good coaching in Green Bay and could easily have failed had we drafted him. I can't fault the Jags for not drafting him. Matt Jones was a disappointment. One expects a coaches son to be a hard worker and stay clean off the field. Go figure.

Gabbert was already a proven failure when we passed on Russell Wilson. So was Bortles when we drafted Fournette over either Watkins or Mahomes. Those were decisions without a good QB prospect in hand, not like what we have now with Minshew.

All that said, if Tua is healthy and falls to pick 9 I can't justify passing on him.

You and I agree on Leftwich's.performance here  I think had he been able to stay healthy and been given adequate surrounding support instead of Ephraim Salaam at LT, Reggie Williams and Matt Jones at WR.  But irrespective of the reasons why-whether its an innate lack of talent as some assert, or the reasons delineated above-his selection ultimately represents a team miss at the position.

Regarding the analysis of Gabbert and Bortles, generally I do not disagree with yout analysis, other than to say how long does it take to prove a QB a success or failure?  Is there a rule of thumb that applies generally, or does it depend on the QB?

Finally, I am with you 100% on Tua.  If he fell to us at 9, I take him and don't look back.  In fact, if he falls past the Chargers at 6, I look for a way to move up to 7 or 8 if necessary.

Leftwich's windmill delivery and immobility held him back. That is all.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Messages In This Thread
The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Bullseye - 03-23-2020, 04:02 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PF* - 03-23-2020, 04:19 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PF* - 03-23-2020, 04:32 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PS9 - 03-23-2020, 09:07 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Upper - 03-23-2020, 05:37 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PF* - 03-23-2020, 06:25 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Upper - 03-23-2020, 06:17 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Upper - 03-23-2020, 07:03 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by TheDogCatcher - 03-24-2020, 07:32 AM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PS9 - 03-24-2020, 07:18 AM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Mikey - 03-24-2020, 10:10 AM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Kane - 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Mikey - 03-26-2020, 08:37 AM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Kane - 03-26-2020, 10:13 AM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Upper - 03-26-2020, 10:09 AM