Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Case for Going QB Early (Long)

(03-24-2020, 04:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 02:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Minshew's situation is unique in a sense that the team seemed to rally around him last year. The fans love him. And the outside media outlets are treating him well which is only good for our marketing. His contract situation actually makes him perfect for this team to spend the next two - three years building around him financially without tying up a large percentage of the cap space at his position. 

This year's QB class all has major concerns. Burrow's one year of major production. Herbert's inconsistencies and quietness in the locker room. Tagovailoa's durability. Fromm's lack luster arm and down year. Eason's lack of experience, knee injury history and lack of competition. Love's lack of competition and down year. I don't like this year's QB class. It reeks of 2011. You might get one really, really good QB out of this class and the rest just end up as "guys" in the NFL. 

I think you have to completely go all in with Minshew in 2020. You have to. You can get away with patching up the defense in free agency, as they've done so far this off season. I don't think they've made not one single signing on offense yet if I am not mistaken. And with the top ten talent mostly favoring the defensive side of the football and the QB position? They're primed to land a quality skill position player or lineman for this year's offense. And they will have some flexibility that same night with the 20th pick and with 10 other picks (currently, that might go up with Ngakoue's situation) they can make moves to bolster the defense in area they missed out on via free agency. 

Taking a QB seems highly unlikely for me. Marrone and Caldwell are on borrowed time. There's no way they can afford to put all of THEIR eggs in a rookie's basket in 2020. They'll ride it out with Minshew. Give him every possible weapon and upgrade they can find via the draft. They brought in Gruden and McAdoo with Marrone's staff. Everything so far along with Foles being shipped up to Chicago is pointing towards Minshew, and ONLY Minshew as the primary player to help this off season with the obvious needs on defense being somewhat addressed potentially. 

If they draft a QB. I'll be genuinely shocked. I am not against drafting a QB this year. Just not in the top 20. Seems like it would be a disservice to this team. And it would instantly put Marrone's and Caldwell's butts lower to the lava pool developing underneath them. I kicked this idea around in the college forum last wee. If they DO draft a QB. I am thinking it'll be more than likely a guy like Cole McDonald out of Hawaii, who is coming from a high passing offense and has the athletic ability to run and make plays. I wouldn't rule out a guy like Colorado's Steven Montez for the same reason as Cole McDonald.
Good argument on this year's QB class.  While I had not looked at it in those terms, your scenario regarding their long terms prospects is quite plausible, if not outright likely.

As to the part in bold, a pick from group A-

Andrew Thomas
Mekhi Becton
Tristan Wirfs
J. edrick Wills
Jerry Jeudy
CeeDee Lamb
Henry Ruggs

Is more desirable for the Jaguars than a pick from group B:

Chase Young
Jeffrey Okudah
Isaiah Simmons
Derrick Brown

Is that a fair assessment of your analysis?  I remember you saying the only person in this draft you would trade up into the top 3 for is Chase Young.  Did your mind change on that subsequent to that post I recall, or is Chase Young an exception, or is there something else I am missing?

I read Caldrac's post as expecting the Jags to take an offensive player based on the free agent signings, not that that's what he wants.

Personally I'd be appalled if the Jags passed on any of those defensive players you named and picked a WR. I could be OK with taking the top-rated OT instead of Simmons, mainly because he doesn't fit neatly into an NFL defense. Trading down might be an option too, although Caldwell has never traded down in the first few rounds. I don't think he knows how.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Messages In This Thread
The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Bullseye - 03-23-2020, 04:02 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PF* - 03-23-2020, 04:19 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PF* - 03-23-2020, 04:32 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PS9 - 03-23-2020, 09:07 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Upper - 03-23-2020, 05:37 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PF* - 03-23-2020, 06:25 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Upper - 03-23-2020, 06:17 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Upper - 03-23-2020, 07:03 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PS9 - 03-24-2020, 07:18 AM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Mikey - 03-24-2020, 10:10 AM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by MalabarJag - 03-24-2020, 04:53 PM