Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Case for Going QB Early (Long)

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 10:02 AM by Caldrac.)

(03-25-2020, 12:01 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 05:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote: My thoughts with the first eight picks in the draft is that realistically there's a good chance you're not going to see Chase Young, Jeffrey Okudah nor Isaiah Simmons slip to us with the 9th overall pick. I like Derrick Brown. And he may or may not be there. It would be hard for me. I like Andrew Thomas at LT. But I think he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, and this is from watching a lot of Georgia games. He's rated highly in pass protection because they rarely pass the damn football. I don't really know how well he'll hold up in pass protection at this level. 

Wirfs is a freak of nature. Becton is too. But he seems more raw. Wills is another freak of nature but him and Wirfs BOTH have not had much experience at LT. That concerns me with our team's current situation. I like any one of those receivers there though. Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs. I think you're getting an excellent compliment to Chark. BUT. . . I really like Jefferson as a slot receiver at the next level. And you could possibly get him at 20 later on that night. 

Young is a no brainer at 9. Okudah is a no brainer at 9. Simmons is a no brainer at 9. Derrick Brown? I don't know. I like Kinlaw a little bit more in the pass rushing department. And I think later on between Neville Gallimore, McTelvin Agim, Khalil Davis & Jordan Elliot that we can get a pretty good DL3T. And I like Leki Fotu and Benito Jones as DL1T. 

So. . . tough call. But, if for whatever odd reason that Young, Okudah or Simmons slip to us at 9? I am running up to the podium with their names on the card. Just like last year where we all really, really, really WANTED Hockenson at TE. But Josh Allen at DE was just too damn good to pass up on. That was a gift. You can't mess that up.

As of now. Based on how I *think" the first eight picks are going to play out. My choices would be:

1. One of the top three overall defensive players magically fell for the taking between Young, Okudah & Simmons
2. Best WR on your draft board is selected between Jeudy, Lamb & Ruggs
3. Trade down a little bit and see if you can still gain Kinlaw at DT, Ruggs or Lamb at WR or Becton at LT

That's my ideal scenario right now.

So now, my question is how does taking Young, Okudah, Simmons or Brown (for that matter) at 9 directly help Minshew?  Would it be possible to help Minshew directly with picks after a defensive player at 9?  So what's the difference between taking a defensive player at 9 and a QB at 9 if the team thought there was a franchise QB at 9?

(03-24-2020, 04:53 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
I read Caldrac's post as expecting the Jags to take an offensive player based on the free agent signings, not that that's what he wants.

Personally I'd be appalled if the Jags passed on any of those defensive players you named and picked a WR. I could be OK with taking the top-rated OT instead of Simmons, mainly because he doesn't fit neatly into an NFL defense. Trading down might be an option too, although Caldwell has never traded down in the first few rounds. I don't think he knows how.
(emphasis added)

Same questions to you I posed to Caldrac,

If the primary goal is giving Minshew weapons, how does taking one of those defensive players at 9 accomplish that goal?

"So now, my question is how does taking Young, Okudah, Simmons or Brown (for that matter) at 9 directly help Minshew?  Would it be possible to help Minshew directly with picks after a defensive player at 9?  So what's the difference between taking a defensive player at 9 and a QB at 9 if the team thought there was a franchise QB at 9?"

Having a splash player on defense that can make a big hit in the secondary or backfield, consistently hold up well in coverage or against the run or make a big splash play via turnover will ultimately help out Minshew and the offense in general. We saw that in 2017 several times over. 

There's a huge difference between drafting an impact player on defense there with the 9th overall pick Vs. gambling on a "franchise" QB with all of those question marks I raised earlier. Again:
  • Burrow is going to the Bengals. He only had ONE major year of production. Haskins did the same thing for the Buckeyes. It doesn't mean Burrow will pan out the same way. But it's a possibility. Especially in THAT market. 
  • Tagovailoa's inability to physically hold up is a major, major concern at this level. Hip, knee and ankle injuries for a guy that makes plays on the run is not ideal. RGIII's career was cut short quickly due those injuries. 
  • Herbert just comes off as too quiet, he didn't really elevate his play enough for me personally from 2018 to 2019 to say he's the guy. I worry about his accuracy. I don't care if he can fling it. The concern is can he fling it AND put it on the money consistently? I don't think he can. 
I am telling you. This class REEKS of 2011 for me. I think you'll see a lot of QB's "surprisingly" slip this year by the experts because the free agency market was over saturated and quite honestly spoiled with competent, veteran QB's this year. If Rivers, Brady & Bridgewater weren't available along with Foles this off season? Sure, a lot of guys would probably end up getting drafted early. You now have Newton on the market. He could end up in L.A or Miami very soon. Thus, knocking the QB need down the draftboards. 

The reason you take a TOP TIER defender with the 9th overall pick THERE is because the value is just too good. I think once you get past the top dogs at those skill positions it really, really starts to get murky. You have to take the value there when you can. Especially in a rebuild phase. They also have 12 picks to move up and down with. Let's say Okudah falls to 9? FINE BY ME.

No. 9 - Jeff Okudah
No. 20 - Justin Jefferson - WR - LSU
No. 48 - Isaiah Wilson - OT - UGA
No. 73 - Add another offensive player here. Maybe a TE? A Guard? Versatile RB? Depends on the value. 

I've stated in other threads. Not a fan of the top rated QB's this year. BUT. . . wouldn't rule out taking a guy like Jacob Eason, Steven Montez or Cole McDonald later on in the draft as a competitor to push Minshew. Especially Montez and McDonald because they're similar in a sense that can move and throw on the run and escape and create. But you can get those guys later on. 

I also don't trust Caldwell's QB decisions. He got lucky with Minshew. But this is the same guy that drafted Bortles. During a similar year where the top rated guys were all shaky at best between him, Manziel and Bridgewater (who is now a starting QB and has proven himself). Take the value when it falls in your lap. Don't over think it. The QB position is the most polarizing position in football. And you landed one last year in the 6th RD that could potentially be the answer to your prayers. 

Fix your defense and offense around him. Give him a shot. It's a low risk / high reward situation during a draft where the QB class just has too many damn question marks to feel confident about making a decision that early.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Messages In This Thread
The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Bullseye - 03-23-2020, 04:02 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PF* - 03-23-2020, 04:19 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PF* - 03-23-2020, 04:32 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PS9 - 03-23-2020, 09:07 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Upper - 03-23-2020, 05:37 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PF* - 03-23-2020, 06:25 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Upper - 03-23-2020, 06:17 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Upper - 03-23-2020, 07:03 PM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by PS9 - 03-24-2020, 07:18 AM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Mikey - 03-24-2020, 10:10 AM
RE: The Case for Going QB Early (Long) - by Caldrac - 03-25-2020, 09:56 AM