Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stimulus

(03-25-2020, 08:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Hookers and blow, man. Gotta keep Economy humming.

QFT...
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 10:57 PM by mal234.)

I have seen a lot of people on various places especially Twitter complain about this stimulus plan. They are mad because the unemployed are getting more benefits, they're mad because they don't think it's enough, they're mad because they are in the income bracket where/after it phases out and they live in a place where there is a high cost of living. And some people are mad because some of us that are still working are going to get it. There is a lot of complaining and disgruntled people out there. And quite frankly a lot of them sound annoying. I'm fine with the stimulus payments and I think it will be good for a lot of people. It will benefit most Americans in one way or the other.

And as far as the people that are upset/wondering why people that are working are going to get it.There are multiple reasons why working people should also get this stimulus. #1) A lot of working people have paid taxes into it. 2) A lot of working people are supporting families where there may be a person in it (like a spouse) that is currently out of work right now due to the coronavirus situation. Some working people are low income people as well, like people who work in grocery stores, but because they are deemed essential still have to work, and this money would benefit them.

Heck, some working people have less money than people that are sitting at home doing nothing right now. Yet they are out there working in jobs, including essentials ones, trying to help keep the economy afloat during this coronavirus ordeal. They should get it as well, IMO. It's meant to stimulate the economy and it looks like it's going to be given to most people, and working people that fit the criteria, should be included in that. Not to mention a lot of unemployed people are covered in the plan. And it looks like they have been given additional benefits. The working people getting this money isn't taking anything from them.

I'm currently still working (my job is deemed essential). And we may actually end up getting more business as a result of this situation. Maybe a decent/good amount depending on how things end up shaking out. And I'll find some good use for that stimulus money, lol. I'm going to invest some of it. I've been doing more investing lately, and I would like to add to my portfolio.

(03-25-2020, 08:59 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:49 PM)raptor6581 Wrote: Wife and I make pretty modest incomes. We also happen to live well with what little we make. We have a building we are planning on doing ourselves on our property. Initially, we were going to drain our savings to build it. We have decided that we will use this money instead, and take the hit on our taxes next year, while keeping savings fully intact.

I’m sure you’ve looked at metal buildings? Not sure the intent of the building you are wanting.  But they come fairly cheap for the square footage.  You’ll have to have concrete poured though.

(03-25-2020, 08:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Hookers and blow, man. Gotta keep Economy humming.

Hmm.  You may be on to something.

Oh I'm gonna be on her alright. But I always thought Economy was a weird name for a call girl. It's like a name and an advertisement all in one.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-25-2020, 08:41 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Everyone is supposed to get it so I imagine the answer is a lot of people to include my husband. We don't need it to survive but it could/probably will go toward our state income tax we end up paying on every year. The rest would go in our emergency fund that we use in times of.....emergency.

That's the thing. Everyone isn't getting it. I'd imagine there are a good number of high income people who carry debt a quick 5k could help.

Okay, everyone within a certain income. 

I'd like to pay off my ridiculously high medical bills with it but that's being managed with monthly payments through the hospital with no interest. Emergencies aren't so easy to 'manage' so I'm okay with it going into that fund.

(03-25-2020, 10:35 PM)mal234 Wrote: And as far as the people that are upset/wondering why people that are working are going to get it.There are multiple reasons why working people should also get this stimulus. #1) A lot of working people have paid taxes into it. 2) A lot of working people are supporting families where there may be a person in it (like a spouse) that is currently out of work right now due to the coronavirus situation. Some working people are low income people as well, like people who work in grocery stores, but because they are deemed essential still have to work, and this money would benefit them.

Makes sense. I was truly like- why? Because I thought it was only going towards folks laid off or being forced to self-isolate at home without pay. But what you say makes sense.

I'll have to see how it's structured to see if I qualify but...

Bet on black baby!

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 05:57 AM by The Real Marty.)

The big questions I have about the stimulus are:

1) Will it be enough or will we have to do more?

2) What will be the side effects of all this additional public debt?  

3) What will be the side effects of all the additional private debt people take on as they try to survive this period either without a job or if they have a business which will be losing money during this period?  

I've seen predictions that the US economy could contract by as much as 25% or more.  Meanwhile, we helicopter money into the economy to try to keep it from complete collapse.  This cannot possibly be without long term cost.  We're handing people and businesses money at a time when they aren't producing anything.  

So what I am thinking is, right now, with asset values falling, cash is king.  But in the long run, cash may be trash, as inflation comes to life.

Because the only solution to crushing debt is this hidden tax called inflation- reduce the value of the debt by reducing the value of the currency.  Borrowers win, savers lose.

And, Page 781 of the bill provides $25 million to the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives to cover "salary and expenses."

That witch is more worried about putting more money in her pocket than helping the American people. Think God she didnt get everything else she wanted in the political game when most was irrelevant on this matter

(03-26-2020, 05:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The big questions I have about the stimulus are:

1) Will it be enough or will we have to do more?

2) What will be the side effects of all this additional public debt?  

3) What will be the side effects of all the additional private debt people take on as they try to survive this period either without a job or if they have a business which will be losing money during this period?  

I've seen predictions that the US economy could contract by as much as 25% or more.  Meanwhile, we helicopter money into the economy to try to keep it from complete collapse.  This cannot possibly be without long term cost.  We're handing people and businesses money at a time when they aren't producing anything.  

So what I am thinking is, right now, with asset values falling, cash is king.  But in the long run, cash may be trash, as inflation comes to life.

Because the only solution to crushing debt is this hidden tax called inflation- reduce the value of the debt by reducing the value of the currency.  Borrowers win, savers lose.

1. I predict this will be 1 of 3 direct cash stimulus infusions over the next 4 months.

2. No one cares about our national debt so it sits around 28 trillion by year end.

3. Americans are conditioned to accept debt slavery, so paying $4 for a loaf of bread with the old Discover card wont bother them all that much.

Read the book Fiat Money Inflation in France by Andrew White for a peek at the future. Short version is revolution and despotism.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 08:29 AM by homebiscuit.)

(03-26-2020, 07:09 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: And, Page 781 of the bill provides $25 million to the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives to cover "salary and expenses."

That witch is more worried about putting more money in her pocket than helping the American people.   Think God she didnt get everything else she wanted in the political game when most was irrelevant on this matter

Sorry, but this can't be considered valid information unless it is disseminated via Twitter out of context.

Political incentives are different t than economic incentives. Unfortunately. Just think about it, the state tells me to close my business and then for my trouble I get a loan and a bunch of hoops to jump through? Utter horse droppings.

Or indexing benefits to last years taxes. So someone laid off in a ny economy with less purchasing power wont gets benefit that a florida worker with more purchasing power will?

Oh and people making less than about 45k/year that got laid off have no incentive to go back to work with the 600/week federal ui supplement. Good luck trying to call workers back in. My wife is a manager. She called one of her employees in about taking a couple hours part time. ""Well, that messes with unemployment!"

Why do we pay these people to come up with this overblown crap. It causes more distortion in the market, perverse incentives, unintended disincentives, sets bad precedent and could be argued violated the 5th amendment taking clause. This is essentially a large imminent domain case. The government commendered parts of the economy so Fauci could play with his charts. That's not subject to progressive ideology about not being seen to help the middle class (100k is still very middle class).

Its crap, its AOC light. Friedman said it. When there is a situation that the feds have to step in and help, then just give people money and let them make their own decisions. Right now we font need chuck Schumers social experiments about limits on executive pay. We need the freedom and liquidity to finally reach escape velocity in the economy. U get this thing humming @ 5 ir 6% and everything will take care of herself.

Thankfully (I guess), I don't qualify.

That said, realizing the scruffy drug dealing unemployed meth couple that has 4 kids are going to be taking in $4,400 and I'm not going to get a thing (after contributing significantly in taxes) seems to be unfair

(03-26-2020, 09:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Thankfully (I guess), I don't qualify.  

That said, realizing the scruffy drug dealing unemployed meth couple that has 4 kids are going to be taking in $4,400 and I'm not going to get a thing (after contributing significantly in taxes) seems to be unfair

Glad we see eye to eye on this, lol.

Our elected politicians made the decision that people who make a certain income didn't feel any hardship from the shutdown of the country.

(03-26-2020, 09:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Thankfully (I guess), I don't qualify.  

Only if they are filing a tax return!

So, part of the relief package was to reward businesses to not layout employees, yet unemployment numbers are through he roof. Will said companies still be receiving the handout?

(03-26-2020, 10:21 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So, part of the relief package was to reward businesses to not layout employees, yet unemployment numbers are through he roof. Will said companies still be receiving the handout?

The sheer amount of auditing and investigating is going to take a lot of effort...

(03-26-2020, 09:43 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

Glad we see eye to eye on this, lol.

Our elected politicians made the decision that people who make a certain income didn't feel any hardship from the shutdown of the country.

Bwwwaahahahahahahaaaaa

You guys just now realizing that all the "eat the rich" rhetoric was aimed squarely at you? You rich [BLEEP]!!!!

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 10:49 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(03-26-2020, 10:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 09:43 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Glad we see eye to eye on this, lol.

Bwwwaahahahahahahaaaaa

You guys just now realizing that all the "eat the rich" rhetoric was aimed squarely at you? You rich [BLEEP]!!!!

Not just now realizing, but it always stings when you are re-reminded of it, lol

I wouldn't consider myself rich. I took chances/risks in my career that have allowed me to make an above average income, but by no means rich enough to where the 5k handout (wife, 2 kids) wouldn't have provided some benefit.

(03-26-2020, 10:48 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 10:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bwwwaahahahahahahaaaaa

Not just now realizing, but it always stings when you are re-reminded of it, lol

I wouldn't consider myself rich. I took chances/risks in my career that have allowed me to make an above average income, but by no means rich enough to where the 5k handout (wife, 2 kids) wouldn't have provided some benefit.

It doesn't matter if you consider yourself rich old chum, the proles and zealots do!