Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stimulus

(03-30-2020, 08:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No worries, another 3 trillion is on the drawing board right now for next month.

Whether intended or not, the irony of your post is beautiful.  Everyone in Washington seems to believe they can just print up more of the stuff, without cost or consequence.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-31-2020, 12:25 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 08:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No worries, another 3 trillion is on the drawing board right now for next month.

Whether intended or not, the irony of your post is beautiful.  Everyone in Washington seems to believe they can just print up more of the stuff, without cost or consequence.

I never post ironically.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2020, 04:46 PM by mal234.)

Here is some more information regarding the stimlus checks. The first round of checks are expected to be distributed around the week of April 13th, for people who have filed either their 2018 or 2019 Tax Returns and used direct deposit information. Lower income people will get their checks first. Paper checks will start to be mailed out around early May. The government intends to send out five million checks a week and it could take up to 20 weeks for some people to get their payments (if they are getting a check). The IRS will also be creating a portal either late this month or early May so people can enter their direct deposit information:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/02...-13-162041
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/49085...ratic-memo'

Also there are several stimulus calculators out there, (I was sent one some days ago by my boss in a email) that can help people calculate what they may get back. Especially people who are around the cut off mark and even higher income people, who won't get the full payment but may still get something because they have eligible dependents. I was putting different incomes on the calculator, and I did see that some people could even make over $200,000 and if they have eligible children, could still receive money.

For example a married couple making $205,000 with two eligible children (under 17) would get a stimulus payment of $650 in total for their family. So even higher income people in that range could still get something. The amount is decreased by $5 for every $100 over the limits for the different marital statuses. (And dependents is factored into that as well). Here's a link to a stimulus calculator if someone wants to plug in their income to see what they could get.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/finance/stimulus-payment

(04-02-2020, 04:46 PM)mal234 Wrote: Here is some more information regarding the stimlus checks. The first round of checks are expected to be distributed around the week of April 13th, for people who have filed either their 2018 or 2019 Tax Returns and used direct deposit information. Lower income people will get their checks first. Paper checks will start to be mailed out around early May. The government intends to send out five million checks a week and it could take up to 20 weeks for some people to get their payments (if they are getting a check). The IRS will also be creating a portal either late this month or early May so people can enter their direct deposit information:

Also there are several stimulus calculators out there, (I was sent one some days ago by my boss in a email) that can help people calculate what they may get back. Especially people who are around the cut off mark and even higher income people, who won't get the full payment but may still get something because they have eligible dependents. I was putting different incomes on the calculator, and I did see that some people could even make over $200,000 and if they have eligible children, could still receive money.

For example a married couple making $205,000 with two eligible children (under 17) would get a stimulus payment of $650 in total for their family. So even higher income people in that range could still get something. The amount is decreased by $5 for every $100 over the limits for the different marital statuses. (And dependents is factored into that as well). Here's a link to a stimulus calculator if someone wants to plug in their income to see what they could get.

I think it's wrong.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2020, 05:04 PM by mal234.)

(04-02-2020, 04:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 04:46 PM)mal234 Wrote: Here is some more information regarding the stimlus checks. The first round of checks are expected to be distributed around the week of April 13th, for people who have filed either their 2018 or 2019 Tax Returns and used direct deposit information. Lower income people will get their checks first. Paper checks will start to be mailed out around early May. The government intends to send out five million checks a week and it could take up to 20 weeks for some people to get their payments (if they are getting a check). The IRS will also be creating a portal either late this month or early May so people can enter their direct deposit information:

I think it's wrong.

That the higher income people could get it? Them allowing some of them to get something with due to the qualifying dependents does open up the door for even more people to get some of this money. Also I am glad that they announced that seniors on Social Security don't have to file a tax return. It looks like for a moment there they were going to make them file a simple one, but now thankfully they don't have to. I was talking to this nice old lady the other day who had called to ask if she had to file. She was so happy to find out that she didn't.

She lives alone and was willing to come out and file it and pay someone to file it for her. I'm glad that Seniors especially ones who's main income is Social Security don't have to file their tax return to get it. If they get Direct deposit and got a 1099SA form this past year, they don't have to worry about it. They don't have to worry about having the burden of coming out, being exposed, paying somebody to do it, etc...I believe the same thing may end up happening for people who are on disability as well.

(04-02-2020, 05:00 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 04:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I think it's wrong.

That the higher income people could get it? Them allowing some of them to get something with due to the qualifying dependents does open up the door for even more people to get some of this money. Also I am glad that they announced that seniors on Social Security don't have to file a tax return. It looks like for a moment there they were going to make them file a simple one, but now thankfully they don't have to. I was talking to this nice old lady the other day who had called to ask if she had to file. She was so happy to find out that she didn't.

She lives alone and was willing to come out and file it and pay someone to file it for her. I'm glad that Seniors especially ones who's main income is Social Security don't have to file their tax return to get it. If they get Direct deposit and got a 1099SA form this past year, they don't have to worry about it. They don't have to worry about having the burden of coming out, being exposed, paying somebody to do it, etc...I believe the same thing may end up happening for people who are on disability as well.

I think it's wrong that everybody gets it.  I can understand people who are through no fault of their own unemployed getting some help, but someone like me that makes a decent living and is not impacted by this financially should not be getting it.  It should go to people that need it the most, not everyone.

I hate to sound harsh, but our seasoned citizens that depend on social security are still getting their regular income.  I see no reason for them to get a "bonus" because of this pandemic.  Again, I hate to sound harsh, but social security was never intended to be and is not a "retirement plan".  It's supposed to be a supplement.

Giving "free" money to everyone just makes everyone more dependent on government.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-02-2020, 05:28 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 05:00 PM)mal234 Wrote: That the higher income people could get it? Them allowing some of them to get something with due to the qualifying dependents does open up the door for even more people to get some of this money. Also I am glad that they announced that seniors on Social Security don't have to file a tax return. It looks like for a moment there they were going to make them file a simple one, but now thankfully they don't have to. I was talking to this nice old lady the other day who had called to ask if she had to file. She was so happy to find out that she didn't.

I think it's wrong that everybody gets it.  I can understand people who are through no fault of their own unemployed getting some help, but someone like me that makes a decent living and is not impacted by this financially should not be getting it.  It should go to people that need it the most, not everyone.

I hate to sound harsh, but our seasoned citizens that depend on social security are still getting their regular income.  I see no reason for them to get a "bonus" because of this pandemic.  Again, I hate to sound harsh, but social security was never intended to be and is not a "retirement plan".  It's supposed to be a supplement.

Giving "free" money to everyone just makes everyone more dependent on government.

+1.
Social security recipients should only get stimulus check if they had earned income in 2018. Same as everyone else.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

This stimulus is really helping small businesses keep their employees employed. Glad to see it has been so effective.

Social Security is a fantastic retirement plan if you have no debt and reasonable expectations.
I suspect a lot of retirement plans will have to be adjusted...downward.

(04-02-2020, 05:28 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 05:00 PM)mal234 Wrote: That the higher income people could get it? Them allowing some of them to get something with due to the qualifying dependents does open up the door for even more people to get some of this money. Also I am glad that they announced that seniors on Social Security don't have to file a tax return. It looks like for a moment there they were going to make them file a simple one, but now thankfully they don't have to. I was talking to this nice old lady the other day who had called to ask if she had to file. She was so happy to find out that she didn't.

If the government is telling me I can't work, it shouldn't matter how much money I make. They need to pay everyone. Maybe someone who makes a lot of money is stupid and doesn't have savings, they can be affected just as much as the poor person and generally more because the poor person already gets a bunch of free stuff that the "rich" person doesn't get. $90,000 (the cutoff) isn't rich if you have dependents, sure you should be able to survive for 1-2 months, but most people don't have a lot of savings and that $90,000 doesn't qualify for any free help for kids, healthcare, college, etc.

(04-03-2020, 12:54 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 05:28 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I think it's wrong that everybody gets it.  I can understand people who are through no fault of their own unemployed getting some help, but someone like me that makes a decent living and is not impacted by this financially should not be getting it.  It should go to people that need it the most, not everyone.

If the government is telling me I can't work, it shouldn't matter how much money I make. They need to pay everyone. Maybe someone who makes a lot of money is stupid and doesn't have savings, they can be affected just as much as the poor person and generally more because the poor person already gets a bunch of free stuff that the "rich" person doesn't get. $90,000 (the cutoff) isn't rich if you have dependents, sure you should be able to survive for 1-2 months, but most people don't have a lot of savings and that $90,000 doesn't qualify for any free help for kids, healthcare, college, etc.

Again I disagree.  If you are not able to work and lose your source of income, sure you should get some help.  Someone like me that is fortunate enough to not lose my source of income even though I have had to stay home should not receive any form of relief check.

People "not having a lot of savings" is a social issue.  It was drilled into my head way back when I was in school to always have at least 3 months worth of expense saved up.

(04-03-2020, 01:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 12:54 PM)p_rushing Wrote: If the government is telling me I can't work, it shouldn't matter how much money I make. They need to pay everyone. Maybe someone who makes a lot of money is stupid and doesn't have savings, they can be affected just as much as the poor person and generally more because the poor person already gets a bunch of free stuff that the "rich" person doesn't get. $90,000 (the cutoff) isn't rich if you have dependents, sure you should be able to survive for 1-2 months, but most people don't have a lot of savings and that $90,000 doesn't qualify for any free help for kids, healthcare, college, etc.

Again I disagree.  If you are not able to work and lose your source of income, sure you should get some help.  Someone like me that is fortunate enough to not lose my source of income even though I have had to stay home should not receive any form of relief check.

People "not having a lot of savings" is a social issue.  It was drilled into my head way back when I was in school to always have at least 3 months worth of expense saved up.

Logistically it is not possible to make that determination in a time frame of a month, and they are acting this quickly to float the economy for the next 8 to 12 weeks. About the only thing they could do is not pay out to SS recipients, but we all know that would be political suicide.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-03-2020, 03:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 01:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Again I disagree.  If you are not able to work and lose your source of income, sure you should get some help.  Someone like me that is fortunate enough to not lose my source of income even though I have had to stay home should not receive any form of relief check.

Logistically it is not possible to make that determination in a time frame of a month, and they are acting this quickly to float the economy for the next 8 to 12 weeks. About the only thing they could do is not pay out to SS recipients, but we all know that would be political suicide.

I understand that and agree.  My wife and I already plan to use whatever money we get to try and help others that actually really need it.  I wouldn't feel right just "pocketing" the money even though it's money that I have had confiscated by our government.  I personally want to help somebody that really needs it.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 03:44 PM by mal234.)

(04-03-2020, 03:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 01:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Again I disagree.  If you are not able to work and lose your source of income, sure you should get some help.  Someone like me that is fortunate enough to not lose my source of income even though I have had to stay home should not receive any form of relief check.

I'm going to be honest, I am one that was in favor of almost everyone getting it. (Especially when I heard they were considering doing mean testing at first which would prolong the payments and keep some people who need help from getting it.) Even some people that don't need it, because I still think they could put it to good use and help stimulate the economy (by putting it right back into it, and/or giving it to people in need). And unfortunately lot of people on Social Security really don't make have any other income, besides that. I do believe that the governments intentions are for these stimulus checks, are not only to help people that are unemployed, but to help keep others afloat and just stimulate the economy in general. And a lot of unemployed people will also be getting unemployment as well, in addition to the stimulus checks. And a lot of them will in their own way, will also get a "raise" and "bonus" money.  Some of them will get more in unemployment than some working people are making.

Also, I saw an update from the washington post that some people may actually get the payment as early April 9. Some people may end up getting a stimulus check before they get their tax refund back. Some people's refunds are still being held up including people who filed back in late January/early February. The IRS is holding some returns for people who have credits like Education Credits/EIC credits (Returns that fall underneath the PATH ACT) to check for fraud and will be reviewing those returns for an additional 45-60 days from when the people filed them. I do wonder if they will ease up a bit and start to release those refunds with everything that is going on with the virus, including people being laid off. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...story.html

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 04:29 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

If you really get down into the weeds of our system, it would make you puke.  As such, I try not to think about it and only focus on my financial well being.    Billions of dollars going out the door to people living on welfare as well as the housewives of Ponte Vedra who simply wake up in the morning, play tennis at the Inn and Club, then drink wine the rest of the day ---- WHAT THE [BLEEP] !!!

Like I said, thank God, I don't really think about it.  LOL  

HAPPY FRIDAY --- only lost $7,000 today (could have been worse) -- time to celebrate.

(04-03-2020, 04:29 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: If you really get down into the weeds of our system, it would make you puke.  As such, I try not to think about it and only focus on my financial well being.    Billions of dollars going out the door to people living on welfare as well as the housewives of Ponte Vedra who simply wake up in the morning, play tennis at the Inn and Club, then drink wine the rest of the day ---- WHAT THE [BLEEP] !!!

HAPPY FRIDAY --- only lost $7,000 today (could have been worse) -- time to celebrate.

Huh?  What are the housewives of Ponte Vedra getting?  I don't understand what you are saying.

(04-03-2020, 04:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 04:29 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: If you really get down into the weeds of our system, it would make you puke.  As such, I try not to think about it and only focus on my financial well being.    Billions of dollars going out the door to people living on welfare as well as the housewives of Ponte Vedra who simply wake up in the morning, play tennis at the Inn and Club, then drink wine the rest of the day ---- WHAT THE [BLEEP] !!!

Huh?  What are the housewives of Ponte Vedra getting?  I don't understand what you are saying.

The cabana boy.  Then a poop ton of alimony.

Not sure if this falls into this thread or the Corona thread.

I’ve seen an uptick in new clients, but now have had two people contact me to postpone due to the situation we have. One furloughed the other idk. Though I’m “essential” and have a job. I’m wondering overall how the business will fair. As long as I can pay my employees and my own bills I don’t care if I just break even. I don’t think that will be the case. But I’ll find out more since invoices just went out. See who else contacts me and who just flat out don’t pay. I’ve weeded out the non payers over the years.

The furloughed guy, is a great long term well tipping client. I offered biweekly service for APril and May at no charge and then revisit the situation then. The other guy was fairly new, so I just didn’t really do anything but send the “I’m sorry best of luck” type deals. If I get more of those emails, or phone calls, I guess I’ll play it client by client. If it gets to be too many, I can’t work for free.

We’ll see. I may just have to hang onto my stimulus check for a bit and see how it all pans out.

Continuing to wish you all the best. Stay healthy, stay afloat and stay off my lawn.

(04-03-2020, 04:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

The same $1200 as everyone else, even though they don't really need it.

(04-03-2020, 11:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 04:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Huh?  What are the housewives of Ponte Vedra getting?  I don't understand what you are saying.

The same $1200 as everyone else, even though they don't really need it.

Why would they get it?  I thought it was income-tested.