Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars Favorites to Sign Cam Newton (Vegas Odds)

There are reasonable arguments that Cam and Jameis have upside left in them, both coming off surgeries to fix long term hampering injuries and LASIK for Jameis. I'm all for rolling the dice on either of them.

There is no argument to signing Dalton except the Gruden connection and that he wouldn't push Minshew.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 10:16 AM by ATLjag.)

I could see the Jags sign a veteran QB (or draft a QB) to be a backup. Regardless of price, however, Cam will not go anywhere to be a backup. His ego will not fit on the bench.

(03-26-2020, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote: There are reasonable arguments that Cam and Jameis have upside left in them, both coming off surgeries to fix long term hampering injuries and LASIK for Jameis. I'm all for rolling the dice on either of them.

There is no argument to signing Dalton except the Gruden connection and that he wouldn't push Minshew.

You're kidding me right?  Lasik is going to fix Winston's problems?  That's a stretch, even for you.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-26-2020, 10:19 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote: There are reasonable arguments that Cam and Jameis have upside left in them, both coming off surgeries to fix long term hampering injuries and LASIK for Jameis. I'm all for rolling the dice on either of them.

You're kidding me right?  Lasik is going to fix Winston's problems?  That's a stretch, even for you.

Who knows, it is kind of important to be able to see what you're throwing at though. I said roll the dice not put it in the bank.

I would sign Winston as a back up, if the money was right.

(03-26-2020, 10:26 AM)Upper Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 10:19 AM)Rico Wrote: You're kidding me right?  Lasik is going to fix Winston's problems?  That's a stretch, even for you.

Who knows, it is kind of important to be able to see what you're throwing at though. I said roll the dice not put it in the bank.

Ehh maybe Lasik helps but his eyes weren't a problem while throwing all the yards and TDs he got, just the INTS?...Winston's biggest issue is decision making.
Which isn't surprising given the history of bad decisions he has made off the field. Why wouldn't he make bad decisions on the field.

Cam Newton's biggest issue, is his health. Not only the Lisfranc, which is huge, but all the hits from his style of play have taken a toll. Leading to a shoulder issue that made him look straight up bad early last year. 

If I'm GM, I'm not touching either one of those guys for different reasons. Hitching your hopes to a guy who just ain't got it between the ears and another guy who has just been beaten down to the point where he's not as effective doesn't sound like a good idea. Especially on a team rebuilding, with a lot of young guys needing leadership and with an OL still needing to prove itself.

If anything, I'd probably rather take a flier on Dalton as a veteran backup to Minshew.
But really, I'm OK just sticking with Minshew/Dobbs this season. If the season goes to [BLEEP]... blow up the QB room next year.

(03-26-2020, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote: There is no argument to signing Dalton except the Gruden connection and that he wouldn't push Minshew.

There's a few other points to be made, especially if Dalton came cheap, but those are the 2 main arguments.

And they might be better arguments than the ones made for signing Newton or Winston.

My money's on Dobbs being the backup next year. If not him, then a mid-round QB the Jags draft partly to develop, partly as insurance in case Minshew turns out to not be the real deal. At most, I could see a nonthreatening journeyman type free agent, someone like Drew Stanton or Josh McCown who'll come cheap and be a positive influence on Minshew (remember, PHI reportedly offered McCown their OC job a couple months back) but never really create a QB controversy. Even someone like Flacco is going to want to start and try to unseat Minshew, and I don't see the Jags bringing that in.

What exactly makes Newton and Winston better than Dalton? Cam had one good season, outside that one he is been average/slightly above average.

I rather have Dalton.

Cam has a way bigger ego and won't accept being a backup.
Winton is a turnover machine that not even Arians could help.
Dalton is nothing great but I really think he can be a great backup.

But, like I said on another thread, we are not making the playoffs this coming year and I wouldn't take any of those 3 over Minshew, so just ride with Minshew and Dobbs since Caldwell (or Coughlin... well it depends, if Dobbs is good it was Caldwell, if he is bad it was Coughlin) traded for him.

(03-26-2020, 11:06 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote: There is no argument to signing Dalton except the Gruden connection and that he wouldn't push Minshew.

There's a few other points to be made, especially if Dalton came cheap, but those are the 2 main arguments.

And they might be better arguments than the ones made for signing Newton or Winston.

Yes I'm obviously discounting contract demands. I would only sign any of them if they were reasonable backup salaries. If they are then I would go Jameis > Cam >>>> Dalton.

(03-26-2020, 10:31 AM)Last42min Wrote: I would sign Winston as a back up, if the money was right.

Just bring back Bortles then, he's the same guy for less money.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-26-2020, 11:16 AM)TJBender Wrote: My money's on Dobbs being the backup next year. If not him, then a mid-round QB the Jags draft partly to develop, partly as insurance in case Minshew turns out to not be the real deal. At most, I could see a nonthreatening journeyman type free agent, someone like Drew Stanton or Josh McCown who'll come cheap and be a positive influence on Minshew (remember, PHI reportedly offered McCown their OC job a couple months back) but never really create a QB controversy. Even someone like Flacco is going to want to start and try to unseat Minshew, and I don't see the Jags bringing that in.

I pretty much agree with this, although I don't see them drafting a QB given our needs in all the other positions ... plus, if we're really trying to suck this year, we'll be in a great position to draft a 1st round QB if Minshew is average to below average.

I think they'll bring in a journeyman backup to compete with Dobbs.

If Dalton came cheap on a two-year deal, OK, but I think he'd be a distraction to Minshew's development. If we end the year with Dalton playing, it will be a year of mediocrity or failure, and everyone will be fired. You'd get the same result with Josh Dobbs, so just stick with him for cheaper.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 01:12 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-26-2020, 10:26 AM)Upper Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 10:19 AM)Rico Wrote: You're kidding me right?  Lasik is going to fix Winston's problems?  That's a stretch, even for you.

Your team's jersey is so close to the other team's in a game.  Yeah, I'm sure he went out there blind.  That's what it was.  What a joke.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-25-2020, 10:30 PM)airjoeo Wrote: Just noticed on some gambling sites, Dolphins + Jaguars at +250 followed by Chargers at +300.

Thoughts?  

He's still relatively young for a QB, I'm actually hoping we do it.

During the 2018 season, he couldn't throw the ball THIRTY (30) yards by his own admission.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cam-n...er-injury/

Last year, he played in only two games due to leg injuries and was 0-2 in those starts.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...wtCa00.htm

Does anyone have any proof Cam Newton is anywhere close to the MVP player he was circa 2015?

No for me on Cam Newton.  I would be more receptive to Winston or Dalton.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

[Image: tenor.gif]
Gimme Winston any day over Cam. He's a shell of his former self until proven otherwise.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(03-26-2020, 01:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 10:30 PM)airjoeo Wrote: Just noticed on some gambling sites, Dolphins + Jaguars at +250 followed by Chargers at +300.

Thoughts?  

He's still relatively young for a QB, I'm actually hoping we do it.

During the 2018 season, he couldn't throw the ball THIRTY (30) yards by his own admission.

Last year, he played in only two games due to leg injuries and was 0-2 in those starts.

Does anyone have any proof Cam Newton is anywhere close to the MVP player he was circa 2015?

Bucs HC Bruce Arians recommended Jameis Winston to 2 unnamed teams. 

Knowing that Bruce Arians is much more of a straight shooter than the typical NFL HC, I consider his recommendation being credible. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...s-winston/

(03-26-2020, 02:17 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 01:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: During the 2018 season, he couldn't throw the ball THIRTY (30) yards by his own admission.

Bucs HC Bruce Arians recommended Jameis Winston to 2 unnamed teams. 

Knowing that Bruce Arians is much more of a straight shooter than the typical NFL HC, I consider his recommendation being credible. 

He recommended Winston after saying Brady was their guy then Teddy Bridgewater, then they would have stuck with Jameis if not getting those two guys.
Brady? OK sure.. everyone wants that guy I guess.
But Teddy? meehhh...
Bruce probably recommended that turd burglar to some other NFCS opponents...
Or perhaps to a guy like John Gruden, who loves to collect QBs and is terrible at evaluating them lol

Bruce is fluffing up Winston for no good reason, imo.

(03-26-2020, 03:23 PM)Kane Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 02:17 PM)D6 Wrote: Bucs HC Bruce Arians recommended Jameis Winston to 2 unnamed teams. 

He recommended Winston after saying Brady was their guy then Teddy Bridgewater, then they would have stuck with Jameis if not getting those two guys.
Brady? OK sure.. everyone wants that guy I guess.
But Teddy? meehhh...
Bruce probably recommended that turd burglar to some other NFCS opponents...
Or perhaps to a guy like John Gruden, who loves to collect QBs and is terrible at evaluating them lol

Bruce is fluffing up Winston for no good reason, imo.

Meh, you want players to know that if you play for him he's ALWAYS got your back if you have his.

If the Bengals are willing to CUT Dalton....we could do a LOT WORSE than bringing him in as a seasoned backup. His career splits AVERAGE 3510 yards/22TDs/13 Picks a year. That's mediocre, but when do you expect your back up QB to be a superstar? As long as he isn't throwing games AWAY, i'll take it.

Or maybe i've just been too tortured after years of watching Blaine/Chenne/the BOAT......

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn