Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How does the Ngakoue situation play out?
This poll is closed.
Ngakoue gets traded before the season starts
15.82%
25 15.82%
Ngakoue gets traded after the season starts but doesn't play for Jags prior
15.19%
24 15.19%
Ngakoue plays for Jags until being traded prior to deadline
12.66%
20 12.66%
Ngakoue signs a long term deal to and plays for the Jags
6.96%
11 6.96%
Ngakoue plays for the Jags on the tag this year
35.44%
56 35.44%
blank #2
3.16%
5 3.16%
corn
10.76%
17 10.76%
Total 158 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Yannick Ngakoue (threads merged)

(08-23-2020, 03:24 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Who is gonna give more than a second for a guy who can't stop the run? Also you can sign Clowney and not give up picks instead.

I don’t care if my DE struggles against the run as long as he is getting pressure and sacks on passing downs.

Derrick Harvey was a good run stuffing DE.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-23-2020, 09:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 03:24 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Who is gonna give more than a second for a guy who can't stop the run? Also you can sign Clowney and not give up picks instead.

I don’t care if my DE struggles against the run as long as he is getting pressure and sacks on passing downs.

Lol, when you can run the ball with impunity you don't have to pass it. See Jax v. Carolina (2019).

When a DE can't stop the run he gets creased every play. See McCray, Bobby, 2007 Jaguars, 2008 Saints
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-24-2020, 11:57 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 09:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I don’t care if my DE struggles against the run as long as he is getting pressure and sacks on passing downs.

Lol, when you can run the ball with impunity you don't have to pass it. See Jax v. Carolina (2019).

When a DE can't stop the run he gets creased every play. See McCray, Bobby, 2007 Jaguars, 2008 Saints

When a DE cant get to the QB. 
See, pretty  much the entire time I've been a Jags fan.
s
;

;

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2020, 01:23 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(08-23-2020, 09:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

The thing is (because apparently you need the explanation) Yawn can't stop the run and he is a good (not great) pass rusher, so no one is gonna give up high draft picks for him, especially when Clowney is still available.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(08-24-2020, 01:21 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 09:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I don’t care if my DE struggles against the run as long as he is getting pressure and sacks on passing downs.

The thing is (because apparently you need the explanation) Yawn can't stop the run and he is a good (not great) pass rusher, so no one is gonna give up high draft picks for him, especially when Clowney is still available.

I'm shocked that both are still not signed. They really do not understand economics at all. Next season the cap is going to drop no players that are signed are going to take a % drop. If they don't take the money available now, they will get less next season. If the season is cut short, even less money is going to be available. They need to get their money asap or they are at a risk of having nothing left for next season.

I would sign a 2-3 year deal asap.

(08-24-2020, 01:38 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 01:21 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: The thing is (because apparently you need the explanation) Yawn can't stop the run and he is a good (not great) pass rusher, so no one is gonna give up high draft picks for him, especially when Clowney is still available.

I'm shocked that both are still not signed. They really do not understand economics at all. Next season the cap is going to drop no players that are signed are going to take a % drop. If they don't take the money available now, they will get less next season. If the season is cut short, even less money is going to be available. They need to get their money asap or they are at a risk of having nothing left for next season.

Well, Yan's only option is a 1 year deal. The tag.
Clowney is probably going to wait until the inevitable injury happens to some teams starting DE (or late Covid opt out issue) and then sign somewhere for close to what he wants, though likely still not the 19-20m he's seeking.

Also the whole tired bit about Yan being terrible against the run pretty much is old crap certain people keep posting even though he was MUCH improved last season vs the run.

Per BCC: While Ngakoue did not lead the Jaguars in sacks (8) this season, he did record the most amount of tackles for loss with 13 on the year — tied for sixth-most in the NFL at his position and tied for ninth among all defense linemen in the NFL in 2019, according to Pro Football Reference. In the past, the knock on Ngakoue was been his propensity to get “washed out” in the run-game, however last season that occurred far less frequently. According to Pro Football Focus, Ngakoue had a run-stop percentage (the percentage of stops per snap played only in run defense) 7.6% with 21 stops on 278 run-snaps. “Stops” constitute a “loss” for the opposing team’s offense. For context, Ngakoue was tied with 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa for 18th overall at his position in stop percentage in 2019. Bosa accounted for 20 stops on 263 run-snaps.

Factor in his overall resume over 4 seasons with 37.5 sacks, 42 TFL, 85 QB hits and 14 forced fumbles I would say he's definitely worth a top 5 DE contract. Though I wouldn't set the new market for DEs and I think that is kind of where the stalemate happened between him and the team. Eventually Yan just didn't want to deal with the Jags anymore and just wants to play elsewhere. He has little leverage in the game so I still hope the Jags stick to their guns and hold him here on the tag or get a good return for him in a trade as he is definitely a top 5 DE in this league. I wish they could have got him to sign for roughly 20m per year though. His twitter tantrum made me move on emotionally from him as a Jaguar, meaning I won't be broken hearted if he is moved or doesn't sign here, but his talent is undeniable except by those who refuse to admit when they are dead wrong, whether because they like to troll or they are just stupid and actually have the audacity to try and talk down to people when the stats and facts don't back up their lame takes.

(08-24-2020, 03:36 PM)Kane Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 01:38 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I'm shocked that both are still not signed. They really do not understand economics at all. Next season the cap is going to drop no players that are signed are going to take a % drop. If they don't take the money available now, they will get less next season. If the season is cut short, even less money is going to be available. They need to get their money asap or they are at a risk of having nothing left for next season.

Clowney is probably going to wait until the inevitable injury happens to some teams starting DE (or late Covid opt out issue) and then sign somewhere for close to what he wants, though likely still not the 19-20m he's seeking.

Also the whole tired bit about Yan being terrible against the run pretty much is old crap certain people keep posting even though he was MUCH improved last season vs the run.

Per BCC: While Ngakoue did not lead the Jaguars in sacks (8) this season, he did record the most amount of tackles for loss with 13 on the year — tied for sixth-most in the NFL at his position and tied for ninth among all defense linemen in the NFL in 2019, according to Pro Football Reference. In the past, the knock on Ngakoue was been his propensity to get “washed out” in the run-game, however last season that occurred far less frequently. According to Pro Football Focus, Ngakoue had a run-stop percentage (the percentage of stops per snap played only in run defense) 7.6% with 21 stops on 278 run-snaps. “Stops” constitute a “loss” for the opposing team’s offense. For context, Ngakoue was tied with 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa for 18th overall at his position in stop percentage in 2019. Bosa accounted for 20 stops on 263 run-snaps.

Factor in his overall resume over 4 seasons with 37.5 sacks, 42 TFL, 85 QB hits and 14 forced fumbles I would say he's definitely worth a top 5 DE contract. Though I wouldn't set the new market for DEs and I think that is kind of where the stalemate happened between him and the team. Eventually Yan just didn't want to deal with the Jags anymore and just wants to play elsewhere. He has little leverage in the game so I still hope the Jags stick to their guns and hold him here on the tag or get a good return for him in a trade as he is definitely a top 5 DE in this league. I wish they could have got him to sign for roughly 20m per year though. His twitter tantrum made me move on emotionally from him as a Jaguar, meaning I won't be broken hearted if he is moved or doesn't sign here, but his talent is undeniable except by those who refuse to admit when they are dead wrong, whether because they like to troll or they are just stupid and actually have the audacity to try and talk down to people when the stats and facts don't back up their lame takes.

Yan is not a complete DE. He's a really good pass rusher and disruptive, but he's not worth top 5 money.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-24-2020, 01:38 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I'm shocked that both are still not signed. They really do not understand economics at all. Next season the cap is going to drop no players that are signed are going to take a % drop. If they don't take the money available now, they will get less next season. If the season is cut short, even less money is going to be available. They need to get their money asap or they are at a risk of having nothing left for next season.

I've always liked Yan but a top 5 DE he is not and he isnt worth a top 5 DE contract.  That is something Josh Allen will get and be worth in a couple years

Yan benefits from having Taven Bryan getting double teamed and sometimes triple teamed.

Yep Yan has screwed himself. He isn't getting a large deal now. Next year it won't be any better and may be even less. He has screwed himself.

Anyone left without a contract needs to sign quickly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2020, 07:27 PM by ATLjag.)

(08-24-2020, 05:37 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Yan benefits from having Taven Bryan getting double teamed and sometimes triple teamed.

...and too bad they are limiting Taven to one position, as he's also the best punter and wide receiver on the team.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2020, 11:24 PM by jaguarmvp.)

(08-24-2020, 03:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 03:36 PM)Kane Wrote: Well, Yan's only option is a 1 year deal. The tag.

Yan is not a complete DE. He's a really good pass rusher and disruptive, but he's not worth top 5 money.

He isn't even worth top 10 money.  I think he highly overvalued his worth.

(08-24-2020, 07:27 PM)ATLjag Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 05:37 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Yan benefits from having Taven Bryan getting double teamed and sometimes triple teamed.

...and too bad they are limiting Taven to one position, as he's also the best punter and wide receiver on the team.

Taven maybe a better punter than DE
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(08-24-2020, 03:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 03:36 PM)Kane Wrote: Well, Yan's only option is a 1 year deal. The tag.

(08-24-2020, 05:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

I've always liked Yan but a top 5 DE he is not and he isnt worth a top 5 DE contract.  That is something Josh Allen will get and be worth in a couple years

Disagree. He has outperformed some of the "top DEs" recently that have been paid. As I said, he shouldn't have set the market but being paid close to where guys like Lawrence were shouldn't have been out of the realm. The issue I think was that he wanted to set the market and I'll agree that he isn't THE best DE out there so he shouldn't be paid as such.
Now that he decided to play hard ball or chicken and go on Twitter and act like a baby he's lost any favor with fans...
But the stats don't lie. Yan has improved greatly vs the run. He's been a beast pass rusher, often times drawing double teams. And he still managed to get after the QB often. He absolutely deserved a contract paying him an AAV of 20m per year.
People don't have to deny his talent just because they're salty he doesn't want to play for us. The reason why teams aren't lining up to trade for him is because he will cost picks (likely a first rounder) and a top 5 DE contract (to which only a certain number of teams likely have cap room for), not because he isn't talented. Clowney isn't nearly as good as Yan and probably looking for too much $ and that is why he remains unsigned.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 12:07 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(08-25-2020, 09:50 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 03:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yan is not a complete DE. He's a really good pass rusher and disruptive, but he's not worth top 5 money.

(08-24-2020, 05:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I've always liked Yan but a top 5 DE he is not and he isnt worth a top 5 DE contract.  That is something Josh Allen will get and be worth in a couple years

Disagree. He has outperformed some of the "top DEs" recently that have been paid. As I said, he shouldn't have set the market but being paid close to where guys like Lawrence were shouldn't have been out of the realm. The issue I think was that he wanted to set the market and I'll agree that he isn't THE best DE out there so he shouldn't be paid as such.
Now that he decided to play hard ball or chicken and go on Twitter and act like a baby he's lost any favor with fans...
But the stats don't lie. Yan has improved greatly vs the run. He's been a beast pass rusher, often times drawing double teams. And he still managed to get after the QB often. He absolutely deserved a contract paying him an AAV of 20m per year.
People don't have to deny his talent just because they're salty he doesn't want to play for us. The reason why teams aren't lining up to trade for him is because he will cost picks (likely a first rounder) and a top 5 DE contract (to which only a certain number of teams likely have cap room for), not because he isn't talented. Clowney isn't nearly as good as Yan and probably looking for too much $ and that is why he remains unsigned.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 

8 sacks and like half of those vs terrible teams or backups, yep he is elite.
Also finished #33 in sacks  Laughing

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranki...d-the-way/
https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-defensi...n-rankings
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Henderon gonna be a shutdown corner

(08-26-2020, 01:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Henderon gonna be a shutdown corner

Yeah Henderon is seriously underrated. He may start over Henderson.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-26-2020, 01:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Henderon gonna be a shutdown corner

Is this what happens when Henderson and Herndon have a baby together?  Banana

(08-26-2020, 03:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Is this what happens when Henderson and Herndon have a baby together?  Banana

Laughing

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 05:34 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(08-24-2020, 07:27 PM)ATLjag Wrote:

I'm just going to assume that he's a good free throw shooter too.

[Image: taven-bryan-4327bf8e80a57dbc.jpg]

Looks like Detroit are moving in...

anyway to take Okudah off their hands!? hehe