Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Franchise is in a bad place, what were the late 90’s like?

Does everyone else feel it? I feel this overwhelming aura of negativity about our Jaguars. 

-   Foles
  -   Ramsey
- 5-11
- Tom fired
- NFLPA announces don’t sign
- Ngakoue
- Our D from 2017 is gone
- 2 Games in London

It feels as though we are perceived as being a slightly better organization than the Bengals, even though we’ve had a better record than most of the bottom feeder teams for 3 years. Players of a high caliber wouldn’t want to sign here, draft picks don’t want to end up here.

Can we survive another 5-11 season? 
How do we fix this? Can we fix it long term? Is Jacksonville truly just too small a market to appeal to people? Does winning truly fix the problem?
I wasn’t a football guy in the late 90’s so I don’t know what it was like when we were a respectable franchise. Did the national media respect and give exposure to Jimmy? Keenan? Boselli? Taylor? Brackens? Or did the national media just dismiss the Jaguars?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The whole nation knew about Taylor, Smith, Brunell and McCardell. Brackens and Hardy got some love too. Darius was slept on. And Boselli was considered the best after the Bruce Smith game.

It was Super Bowl or bust every year.

[BLEEP] happens. A lot of teams go through bad stretches. If you're only looking for all winning and good seasons, professional sports is not what your fandom should lie. I've lived it long before Jacksonville.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Honestly, it felt a lot like it does today except there was a newness/buzz that kept people in the seats. I can remember year after year talking about how nobody wanted to play our hard hitting D, but the O was always meh and inconsistent with exception to a few years.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I'm actually feeling good about the future. The team has 12 picks this year, and 9 next year.

(04-01-2020, 05:54 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I'm actually feeling good about the future.  The team has 12 picks this year, and 9 next year.

Yep.

Whatever it is that has better players running for the hills (besides just the Coughlin thing) it won't last forever  - and the bevy of upcoming draft capital is encouraging to at least equip the team for a bounce back. 
The odds of firing on all cylinders in 2021 don't seem too bad to me. 

2020?  Well, may have to be a transitional year.

(04-01-2020, 05:32 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Honestly, it felt a lot like it does today except there was a newness/buzz that kept people in the seats. I can remember year after year talking about how nobody wanted to play our hard hitting D, but the O was always meh and inconsistent with exception to a few years.

Dude your signature makes me feel happy things. Didn’t even know I was capable of feeling anymore until I saw that lol. What a ride that year was. Glad I was around to witness it.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 07:30 PM by SeldomRite.)

The Jaguars' problem is that they've repeatedly passed on great QBs to take bad players to fill needs. Once they stop taking the Leonard Fournettes of the world things will get better.

(04-01-2020, 05:10 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The whole nation knew about Taylor, Smith, Brunell and McCardell. Brackens and Hardy got some love too. Darius was slept on. And Boselli was considered the best after the Bruce Smith game.

It was Super Bowl or bust every year.

Man, I wish I went to those parts of the nation ; ). I constantly had to explain my fandom; folks barely knew about the team yet alone its personnel. Die hard NFLers maybe. Not the casual fan.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

I faintly remember the 90's. Mostly because I was a boy. By the time I could recall correctly I would say it was the 1998 and 1999 seasons. I remember that dumb "gut check" video this team made when they then proceeded to get embarrassed at home by ol' mullet boy. I also remember getting suspended from school for beating up a tacks fan rocking a Wycheck jersey at Twin Lakes Middle school.

He kept talking. My emotions got the best of me. My dad had to pick me up and of course he was pissed off about it. But he ultimately smiled and laughed it off and said "Welcome to fandom son!". Other than that? I think one other time when Shannon Sharpe was a Baltimore Raven. He caught a game winning TD in the back of the end zone. With one of the craziest double toe drags or stalls I had ever seen. I remember being overwhelmingly heart broken. LOL.

I actually went to the bathroom to fight off tears I think.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I don't feel as bad this time around due to some apathy overall. Walking out of the stadium after the Tacks crushed us for the third time, I knew the window was closed and it was over. When I think about other teams situations it helps some with ours. Would you trade places with Rams fan? I mean sure they made it to the superbowl at least in this run.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(04-02-2020, 10:11 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: I don't feel as bad this time around due to some apathy overall.  Walking out of the stadium after the Tacks crushed us for the third time, I knew the window was closed and it was over.  When I think about other teams situations it helps some with ours.  Would you trade places with Rams fan?  I mean sure they made it to the superbowl at least in this run.

I felt worse after the 1997 AFCCG when the lights 'mysteriously' went out in Foxboro. I felt like we lost to the tittians, I felt like we got screwed in the 1st one.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-01-2020, 04:42 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Can we survive another 5-11 season? 

To be honest, a 1-15 season would be better than a 5-11 season with Trevor Lawrence entering the draft next year.

If we get the #1 pick in 2021 Season Ticket Sales would go through the roof.

An incredible amount of energy invigorating the town. The big deal back then was beating the Panthers in milestones. The rivalry with the Steelers was fantastic.

I worked at a job where the Jags would come in frequently and it was so amazing chatting with the different players.

I still have a football autographed by Steve Beuerlein, Natrone Means, and Mark Brunel. I look at it sometimes and miss those days.

(04-02-2020, 10:48 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 04:42 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Can we survive another 5-11 season? 

To be honest, a 1-15 season would be better than a 5-11 season with Trevor Lawrence entering the draft next year.

Really? He's that desirable? By Jags folks?
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(04-02-2020, 11:46 AM)BritJag Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 10:48 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: To be honest, a 1-15 season would be better than a 5-11 season with Trevor Lawrence entering the draft next year.

Trevor Lawrence is the absolute TRUTH and will most likely be one of the best, if not the best, QBs to come out of the college ranks into the NFL.

Just watch/listen to all of the scouts and draftniks once he decides to declare. He will be push to be the highest graded QB from CFB and will be highly sought after.

(04-02-2020, 11:46 AM)BritJag Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 10:48 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: To be honest, a 1-15 season would be better than a 5-11 season with Trevor Lawrence entering the draft next year.

Not this Jag fan. I just don't see it.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-02-2020, 11:43 AM)Corriewf Wrote: An incredible amount of energy invigorating the town. The big deal back then was beating the Panthers in milestones. The rivalry with the Steelers was fantastic.

I worked at a job where the Jags would come in frequently and it was so amazing chatting with the different players.

I still have a football autographed by Steve Beuerlein, Natrone Means, and Mark Brunel. I look at it sometimes and miss those days.

*clicks nonexistent like button*

Being in that central div with the ravens and stillers was a good run. I enjoyed so many of those battles. Tough nosed defense and battering ram running backs aplenty.

I loved the Central Division. Being in the AFC South is made worse by our lack of success.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(04-02-2020, 06:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 11:43 AM)Corriewf Wrote: An incredible amount of energy invigorating the town. The big deal back then was beating the Panthers in milestones. The rivalry with the Steelers was fantastic.

*clicks nonexistent like button*

Being in that central div with the ravens and stillers was a good run. I enjoyed so many of those battles. Tough nosed defense and battering ram running backs aplenty.

The demeanor of the players has changed so much since then. Everyone back then was trying to prove we belonged in the NFL. We had a group of misfits and it felt like living the replacements or something. You didn’t have these me first players showboating like they are now. The whole game and sentiment of players has changed so much. 

That’s why I don’t mind losing really good players that don’t seem to fit the mold here. They play for themselves, and while good, the synergy isn’t there. That team back in the 90s had complete synergy and collectively had something to prove to everyone in the NFL. They didn’t let up and stand around with their hands out waiting on a paycheck. You work hard, keep your nose to the grindstone and you get paid. 

The players hung out together quite often and would come into my place of employment laughing, having a great time. 

To us fans, those players were heroes...still are.