Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Franchise is in a bad place, what were the late 90’s like?

(04-01-2020, 05:12 PM)Rico Wrote: [BLEEP] happens.  A lot of teams go through bad stretches.  If you're only looking for all winning and good seasons, professional sports is not what your fandom should lie.  I've lived it long before Jacksonville.

Agreed.

The Patriot/Steelers/49ers/Cowboys dynasties are the exception, not the norm.

But even those teams have had down periods.

As for the original question, the 90s were a blast.  As fun as the 2017 playoff run was, imagine watching a team's first ever playoff run...where it was left for dead week 12.  Imagine your team finally putting all of the mistakes behind them and everything-inernally and league wide, falling exactly into place.

I'm talking the right teams losing down the stretch.  I'm talking Morten Anderson missing a chip shot.  I'm talking Mike Hollis banking two FGs off an upright in back to back 30-27 playoff wins against legendary QBs at home and highly favored.

Having four straight winning seasons and being serious Super Bowl contenders gave you confidence as a fan.

The games mattered. 

You weren't talking draft position in late October.

The crowds were electric.  Thinking back, I still get goosebumps when I think of the atmospheres in the stadium in our first ever home win (against Pittsburgh, of all teams), our first Monday night game (again against Pittsburgh-we were in the then AFC Central-basically the AFC North plus us), the first real game against Miami and Dan Marino, and the 1998 Tampa game (had the feel of a college rivalry game).  If you think of the Bills playoff game crowd, it was similar to that, but the games were far more exciting in part because of the offenses involved, and in part because they involved intra state and divisional rivals vying for supremacy.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
RE: This Franchise is in a bad place, what were the late 90’s like? - by Bullseye - 04-10-2020, 08:17 AM