Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Berkey filters

So, does anyone here use a Berkey filter system? We've been looking at them for awhile. We're on a well and already filter the water with a Pur filter but we have been looking for something better and Berkey seems to be it. 

We finally bought one today that will ship in 1-2 days and I was hoping to get any advice on prepping it. Reviews I've read say the instructions are vague on priming the filters and such. Also, does the water taste as good as folks say?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Haha, that's funny you mention that. A few months ago I was also looking into possibly doing a water filter and I heard a recommendation from someone about the Berkey brand. I haven't got one yet but excited to hear your thoughts.

(04-22-2020, 11:19 AM)Brett Wrote: Haha, that's funny you mention that. A few months ago I was also looking into possibly doing a water filter and I heard a recommendation from someone about the Berkey brand. I haven't got one yet but excited to hear your thoughts.

I'll let you know! We got the 3.25 gallon size, I think it's called Berkey Royal. We go through a lot of water and a whole house filtration system isn't in the budget. We're mostly concerned with drinking and cooking use so this makes sense for us. The size we got is also the only one that isn't currently sold out IIRC. 

They also have a shower filter we plan to buy when it comes available. Evidently they sell out often. 

We have so many issues with our well and it's just easier at this point to buy a serious filter. We own our mobile home but share the property with a few others who also own. The owner of the property is good about hearing our concerns but the older the well gets and the more issues that come up (often at inconvenient times like when there is a shortage of bleach during a pandemic) the less patience they have.

(04-22-2020, 01:47 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 11:19 AM)Brett Wrote: Haha, that's funny you mention that. A few months ago I was also looking into possibly doing a water filter and I heard a recommendation from someone about the Berkey brand. I haven't got one yet but excited to hear your thoughts.

I'll let you know! We got the 3.25 gallon size, I think it's called Berkey Royal. We go through a lot of water and a whole house filtration system isn't in the budget. We're mostly concerned with drinking and cooking use so this makes sense for us. The size we got is also the only one that isn't currently sold out IIRC. 

They also have a shower filter we plan to buy when it comes available. Evidently they sell out often. 

We have so many issues with our well and it's just easier at this point to buy a serious filter. We own our mobile home but share the property with a few others who also own. The owner of the property is good about hearing our concerns but the older the well gets and the more issues that come up (often at inconvenient times like when there is a shortage of bleach during a pandemic) the less patience they have.

Thanks! Yeah, I try and drink close to a gallon of water a day so that was my main reason for looking into one.

(04-23-2020, 12:07 PM)Brett Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 01:47 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'll let you know! We got the 3.25 gallon size, I think it's called Berkey Royal. We go through a lot of water and a whole house filtration system isn't in the budget. We're mostly concerned with drinking and cooking use so this makes sense for us. The size we got is also the only one that isn't currently sold out IIRC. 

Thanks! Yeah, I try and drink close to a gallon of water a day so that was my main reason for looking into one.

So we got the Berkey today and all I can say is it's totally worth the money. Our nasty well water tastes so good. When they're available again you should definitely get one. The last I saw they were sold out of all models, even in the scratch and dent section.

Those look like nice filters.

I use an Apex brand countertop filtration system that connects to my kitchen faucet. It's a bit more "budget" thann the berkey models but it makes a difference.

(05-06-2020, 09:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Those look like nice filters.

I use an Apex brand countertop filtration system that connects to my kitchen faucet. It's a bit more "budget" thann the berkey models but it makes a difference.

We've looked into several filtration systems but this made the most sense for us. When we go on vacation we plan to take it with us since we never know the water quality where we're staying. My husband is a waste water operator 20 years now and is getting super suspicious of drinking water and all the chemicals used to treat it, and with well water, all the chemicals people use on their lawns and such. 

$326 of our Covid money well spent.

Is this Berkeley stuff comparable
To a whole house softener? We’ve been wanting
To keep up with the Jones and soften oir water. Soft water is pretty nice. Or is this strictly for drinking?

(05-07-2020, 08:14 PM)Jags Wrote: Is this Berkeley stuff comparable
To a whole house softener?   We’ve been wanting
To keep up with the Jones and soften oir water.  Soft water is pretty nice. Or is this strictly for drinking?

It's not a water softener, just water filtration. Check it out at Berkey

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 04:36 PM by Brett.)

(05-11-2020, 03:11 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 08:14 PM)Jags Wrote: Is this Berkeley stuff comparable
To a whole house softener?   We’ve been wanting
To keep up with the Jones and soften oir water.  Soft water is pretty nice. Or is this strictly for drinking?

It's not a water softener, just water filtration. Check it out at Berkey

Are you still liking your Berkey? My wife and I are still looking into getting one...kind of having a hard time choosing between the Big and Royal Berkey. Currently just 2 of us in the family but would love to have the room for growth if needed. Like I mentioned before, I try to drink a gallon of water a day though. You still feeling it's been worth the money?

My new Maytag fridge uses an Everydrop filter and it is awesome. The water and ice are fantastic.

(07-10-2020, 04:35 PM)Brett Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 03:11 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: It's not a water softener, just water filtration. Check it out at Berkey

Are you still liking your Berkey? My wife and I are still looking into getting one...kind of having a hard time choosing between the Big and Royal Berkey. Currently just 2 of us in the family but would love to have the room for growth if needed. Like I mentioned before, I try to drink a gallon of water a day though. You still feeling it's been worth the money?

Absolutely worth it. It's just my husband and I and we go through water for drinking and cooking and I'm glad we got the size we did. I'm spoiled now. Every time I drink any other water it just tastes nasty so I make sure I carry extra when I go out and about.

(07-10-2020, 04:35 PM)Brett Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 03:11 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: It's not a water softener, just water filtration. Check it out at Berkey

Dude, I got an email saying the Berkeys are back in stock.

We have to have an entire house filtration system including a chlorination injection pump, carbon backwash, contact tank, water softener and the whole home reverse osmosis system.

My parent across the street have perfect water. Well life is crazy but I’ve used Berkeley in the past for drinking Water when we didn’t have a treatment system and it’s pretty good.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

On my property I have drank water straight out of the well with no filtration.  The water has no smell and no foul taste, but I do know it has minerals that I wouldn't want to put through a plumbing system in a house.  It's kind of like when I used to drink water out of mountain streams as a kid.

With that being said, when our build starts we will have some kind of filtration system on it prior to getting to the home.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-23-2020, 06:49 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: On my property I have drank water straight out of the well with no filtration.  The water has no smell and no foul taste, but I do know it has minerals that I wouldn't want to put through a plumbing system in a house.  It's kind of like when I used to drink water out of mountain streams as a kid.

With that being said, when our build starts we will have some kind of filtration system on it prior to getting to the home.

Our well is old and janky as all get out. Tested positive for e coli a couple of years ago, it has never tasted good in the eight years I've lived here and we flat out don't trust it. We would love to get a filtration system but we'll be selling this place in the next five years and moving out to a house we inherited from my husband's grandmother when she died. It's going to take $$$ to make it liveable though and that's where our money will go. 

The Berkey is solid for us. And the water tastes so dang good!

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2020, 12:17 PM by Brett.)

(07-23-2020, 11:46 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 04:35 PM)Brett Wrote: Are you still liking your Berkey? My wife and I are still looking into getting one...kind of having a hard time choosing between the Big and Royal Berkey. Currently just 2 of us in the family but would love to have the room for growth if needed. Like I mentioned before, I try to drink a gallon of water a day though. You still feeling it's been worth the money?

Dude, I got an email saying the Berkeys are back in stock.

Thanks for the update, I noticed that too before I saw this. My wife and I can't decide between either the Big or Royal Berkey so that's kind of our hold up lol

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2020, 12:07 PM by Brett.)

(04-21-2020, 06:22 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So, does anyone here use a Berkey filter system? We've been looking at them for awhile. We're on a well and already filter the water with a Pur filter but we have been looking for something better and Berkey seems to be it. 

We finally bought one today that will ship in 1-2 days and I was hoping to get any advice on prepping it. Reviews I've read say the instructions are vague on priming the filters and such. Also, does the water taste as good as folks say?

Hey Americus! Just checking back and seeing how you are still liking the Berkey? My wife and I still haven't bought one so just following back up. I've seen some negative reviews from people online....some saying it's overhyped, not worth the money, etc. so it just had me a little worried. Also still deciding between the Big and Royal sizes if we do get one. I know you mentioned you and your husband got the Royal and are glad you got that size...is it just you and him though? Or do you use it with more family members, pets, etc. if you don't mind my asking. Still glad you got that size? Thanks.

(12-13-2020, 12:03 PM)Brett Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 06:22 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So, does anyone here use a Berkey filter system? We've been looking at them for awhile. We're on a well and already filter the water with a Pur filter but we have been looking for something better and Berkey seems to be it. 

Hey Americus! Just checking back and seeing how you are still liking the Berkey? My wife and I still haven't bought one so just following back up. I've seen some negative reviews from people online....some saying it's overhyped, not worth the money, etc. so it just had me a little worried. Also still deciding between the Big and Royal sizes if we do get one. I know you mentioned you and your husband got the Royal and are glad you got that size...is it just you and him though? Or do you use it with more family members, pets, etc. if you don't mind my asking. Still glad you got that size? Thanks.

Hey Brett, we actually have the Big Berkey. Somehow I thought we had the Royal. YES, we still love it. Our water still tastes awesome coming through the filters. I make sure I clean the container at least once a month and have cleaned the filters once (there is instruction on cleaning the filters every six months to keep them fresh). I don't know who wouldn't like the system unless they're the same people who think a Kindle is going to be as good as an iPad. 

It is just the two of us and a cat and we do give the cat filtered water. I can't recommend it enough. My husband is a wastewater operator and the things he tells me that are still left in treated water simply because it can't be filtered out completely is scary. An example: imagine you are drinking the remnants of all the prescriptions people are taking, or flushing down the toilet. That freaks me out and we're on well water. Berkey filters out 99.99% or higher of heavy metals and other nasty stuff. 

So get it man! You won't be disappointed.

(12-13-2020, 02:30 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 12:03 PM)Brett Wrote: Hey Americus! Just checking back and seeing how you are still liking the Berkey? My wife and I still haven't bought one so just following back up. I've seen some negative reviews from people online....some saying it's overhyped, not worth the money, etc. so it just had me a little worried. Also still deciding between the Big and Royal sizes if we do get one. I know you mentioned you and your husband got the Royal and are glad you got that size...is it just you and him though? Or do you use it with more family members, pets, etc. if you don't mind my asking. Still glad you got that size? Thanks.

Hey Brett, we actually have the Big Berkey. Somehow I thought we had the Royal. YES, we still love it. Our water still tastes awesome coming through the filters. I make sure I clean the container at least once a month and have cleaned the filters once (there is instruction on cleaning the filters every six months to keep them fresh). I don't know who wouldn't like the system unless they're the same people who think a Kindle is going to be as good as an iPad. 

It is just the two of us and a cat and we do give the cat filtered water. I can't recommend it enough. My husband is a wastewater operator and the things he tells me that are still left in treated water simply because it can't be filtered out completely is scary. An example: imagine you are drinking the remnants of all the prescriptions people are taking, or flushing down the toilet. That freaks me out and we're on well water. Berkey filters out 99.99% or higher of heavy metals and other nasty stuff. 

So get it man! You won't be disappointed.

Ok thanks that helps! So you only have the Big Berkey which is 2.25 gallons? Also, did you add the fluoride filters or anything else or no? Glad to know you still like it since you got it in April.