Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags favorites to get Trevor Lawrence in 2021.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 10:19 AM by Kane.)

(05-01-2020, 08:15 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 05:16 AM)Andy G Wrote: Because they only won five games last year, had one of the worst defenses (conceding an average of nearly 30 points a game, with a run defense worse than ours) and aside from McCaffrey and Moore haven't got much on offense either.

(And yes, because they're in a tough division)

That's why their Vegas odds are so bad.
And the Jags odds are worse. They upgraded their defense, have Samuel and Robby Anderson to go with Moore and upgraded their QB position.

They are in an infinitely better spot than the Jags.

We'll see. Teddy filled in quite nicely for the Saints when Brees went down. But they had a really really good roster. Bridgewater seems like the safe "take what the defense gives you don't throw a lot of picks" kind of QB. I mean will he be better than Allen and Grier? Probably, but we don't know by how much.
Also... how can people say "they upgraded their defense" but when we say that about our team the response is "rookies won't contribute that much"

Mind boggling how one team can improve so much through the draft and free agency but when we do it it won't work lol
Yes we lost guys... Calais is probably the only one we'll really miss though. Ramsey was gone most of the year. Dareus was gone most of the year. Yan might be missed but might be (should be) playing, albeit disgruntled, but if so playing hard for some money from whoever his next team is.

I don't disagree that the Jags COULD be worse than the Panthers. But I think it's a stretch to say the Panthers are infinitely better than the Jags without seeing just how well Teddy actually does and just how improved that D will be with 7 rookies added to last years squad.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-01-2020, 10:19 AM)Kane Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 08:15 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: And the Jags odds are worse. They upgraded their defense, have Samuel and Robby Anderson to go with Moore and upgraded their QB position.

They are in an infinitely better spot than the Jags.

We'll see. Teddy filled in quite nicely for the Saints when Brees went down. But they had a really really good roster. Bridgewater seems like the safe "take what the defense gives you don't throw a lot of picks" kind of QB. I mean will he be better than Allen and Grier? Probably, but we don't know by how much.
Also... how can people say "they upgraded their defense" but when we say that about our team the response is "rookies won't contribute that much"

Mind boggling how one team can improve so much through the draft and free agency but when we do it it won't work lol
Yes we lost guys... Calais is probably the only one we'll really miss though. Ramsey was gone most of the year. Dareus was gone most of the year. Yan might be missed but might be (should be) playing, albeit disgruntled, but if so playing hard for some money from whoever his next team is.

I don't disagree that the Jags COULD be worse than the Panthers. But I think it's a stretch to say the Panthers are infinitely better than the Jags without seeing just how well Teddy actually does and just how improved that D will be with 7 rookies added to last years squad.
Teddy is better than Allen and Grier. Not even sure you can debate that. Moore, Samuel and Anderson are better than the Jags WRs. McCaffery is miles better Fournette.

Now when I brought up the defense, I was making the same claims that numerous people say about the Jags young D. As of now, the Jags may have the worst roster in the league which is why Vegas has them as the odds on favorites for the #1 pick.

(05-01-2020, 12:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 10:19 AM)Kane Wrote: We'll see. Teddy filled in quite nicely for the Saints when Brees went down. But they had a really really good roster. Bridgewater seems like the safe "take what the defense gives you don't throw a lot of picks" kind of QB. I mean will he be better than Allen and Grier? Probably, but we don't know by how much.

Teddy is better than Allen and Grier. Not even sure you can debate that. Moore, Samuel and Anderson are better than the Jags WRs. McCaffery is miles better Fournette.

Now when I brought up the defense, I was making the same claims that numerous people say about the Jags young D. As of now, the Jags may have the worst roster in the league which is why Vegas has them as the odds on favorites for the #1 pick.

Well, I think you'd have to agree the Panthers are certainly in the mix for the top spot?

And I really don't think it would be a shock if they claimed it.

I think my favourite would be the Redskins, but lets face it, we all thought it would be the Dolphins last season.

(05-01-2020, 12:18 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 12:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Teddy is better than Allen and Grier. Not even sure you can debate that. Moore, Samuel and Anderson are better than the Jags WRs. McCaffery is miles better Fournette.

Well, I think you'd have to agree the Panthers are certainly in the mix for the top spot?

And I really don't think it would be a shock if they claimed it.

I think my favourite would be the Redskins, but lets face it, we all thought it would be the Dolphins last 
I think a lot of people thought the Fins, Skins and Bengals would be bad and they were.

I think the Panthers could be in the mix but I think it has more to do with playing the Saints, Falcons and Bucs 6 times. That immediately gives them 5 losses most likely.

I think their roster and coach are better than what the Jags have.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 01:17 PM by pirkster.)

Bengals weren't nearly as bad as their record, and their close losses back that up. They pulled the perfect tank, and it looks like they are primed for a fast rebound. Their biggest issues were missing AJ and having no tacklers on defense. Both are better and the cherry on top is that they got Burrow, too.

We can hope that will be us next year with Lawrence.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2020, 09:17 AM by The Real Marty.)

(05-01-2020, 07:15 AM)Jords808 Wrote: If we get the first pick then we absolutely go Lawrence, he was a number 1 pick since he started college football. Best qb prospect since Luck.  With tht being said i really dont think we're picking first, unfortunately we will win 4 to 6 meaningless games and miss out on him. This franchise has been so bad I almost will be rooting for us to lose, i believe Lawrence is that great. In that Elway, Manning and Luck sure shot number 1 mold.... dont wanna hear that no sure shot BS either.

In the last 20 years, how many teams that held the number one overall pick have wound up winning a Super Bowl?  One. Kansas City- and it wasn't a QB they drafted, it was a tackle, and he's not even the 10th best player on their team.   

Sucking so bad you get the number one pick is not the road to the Super Bowl.  Super Bowl winning teams don't get there by getting worse.  They get there by trying to get better each and every year at everything they do.  That's what we should do.

Name the elite QBs in the NFL.  Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, Roethlisberger, Garropolo(?), Brees.  See any number one overall picks in there?  No.  None of those guys was the #1 overall pick.  None of them was even picked in the top 5.  

So this whole idea that the road to the Super Bowl starts with getting the #1 overall pick is purely idiotic.

(05-02-2020, 09:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 07:15 AM)Jords808 Wrote: If we get the first pick then we absolutely go Lawrence, he was a number 1 pick since he started college football. Best qb prospect since Luck.  With tht being said i really dont think we're picking first, unfortunately we will win 4 to 6 meaningless games and miss out on him. This franchise has been so bad I almost will be rooting for us to lose, i believe Lawrence is that great. In that Elway, Manning and Luck sure shot number 1 mold.... dont wanna hear that no sure shot BS either.

In the last 20 years, how many teams that held the number one overall pick have wound up winning a Super Bowl?  One. Kansas City- and it wasn't a QB they drafted, it was a tackle, and he's not even the 10th best player on their team.   

Sucking so bad you get the number one pick is not the road to the Super Bowl.  Super Bowl winning teams don't get there by getting worse.  They get there by trying to get better each and every year at everything they do.  That's what we should do.

Name the elite QBs in the NFL.  Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, Roethlisberger, Garropolo(?), Brees.  See any number one overall picks in there?  No.  None of those guys was the #1 overall pick.  None of them was even picked in the top 5.  

So this whole idea that the road to the Super Bowl starts with getting the #1 overall pick is purely idiotic.
So we just ignore the Manning brothers?

Lawerence is (at this point) the best QB prospect since Peyton or Luck.

(05-02-2020, 12:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 09:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: In the last 20 years, how many teams that held the number one overall pick have wound up winning a Super Bowl?  One. Kansas City- and it wasn't a QB they drafted, it was a tackle, and he's not even the 10th best player on their team.   

So we just ignore the Manning brothers?

Lawerence is (at this point) the best QB prospect since Peyton or Luck.

Peyton wasn't even the clear cut best prospect in his own draft, and Eli worked out great for the Chargers with all those titles they won.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Hard to root against the team, but the idea of having one more trash season and them getting one of the best QB prospects in the last 3 decades is very enticing. Idc how well minshew does if you have an opportunity to get Lawrence you get him.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2020, 01:51 AM by rpr52121.)

(04-30-2020, 11:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Wanting to get the #1 pick is a horrible idea, because it means you have to really suck to get it.   If I have a choice between our team getting better next year or getting worse, I would hope we get better.

(04-28-2020, 05:12 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: I’m on board with this. I think Lawrence can have a Mahomes like cultural impact. How many 1st rounders would you give up for an  Rodgers, Mahomes, or Brady. What if he has that kind of impact?

None of those three were number one overall picks, so the teams they landed on didn't have to suck to get them.  Trying to get the #1 pick so you can draft a particular player is a horrible idea, because it means you have to have the worst team in the league, and that is not the path to the Super Bowl.

This right here.

Since 1998, only 5 QB's started a Super Bowl with the franchise that earned a top 10 pick to draft them by virtue of their record:

Peyton Manning with Colts twice.
Donovan McNabb with Eagles.
Eli Manning with Giants twice. (Yes he was traded to them, but they were also bad enough to get the 4th pick).
Matt Ryan with Falcons.
Cam Newton with Panthers.

And 3 of those guys lost the big game, and Peyton lost once. Alex Smith doesn't count to me, because they don't reach the Super Bowl without Kapernick. Plus even his team lost to the Ravens.

Most other teams traded up to pick their franchise QB, or he fell to them later in the draft.

It's really difficult to turnover a roster of a "worst team" in the league quickly. Plus since the second contract of any franchise quarterback is such a large percentage of the team's cap, the team really needs to be a division contender and able to win a playoff game by your QB's 2nd season. 

Sure, just getting "the guy" at all cost may help the Jags be relevant for once, but it may not the best way to actually win a ring.

Pats gonna suck and get Lawrence

(05-03-2020, 01:44 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 11:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Wanting to get the #1 pick is a horrible idea, because it means you have to really suck to get it.   If I have a choice between our team getting better next year or getting worse, I would hope we get better.

None of those three were number one overall picks, so the teams they landed on didn't have to suck to get them.  Trying to get the #1 pick so you can draft a particular player is a horrible idea, because it means you have to have the worst team in the league, and that is not the path to the Super Bowl.

This right here.

Since 1998, only 5 QB's started a Super Bowl with the franchise that earned a top 10 pick to draft them by virtue of their record:

Eli Manning with Giants twice. (Yes he was traded to them, but they were also bad enough to get the 4th pick).
Matt Ryan with Falcons.

And 3 of those guys lost the big game, and Peyton lost once. Alex Smith doesn't count to me, because they don't reach the Super Bowl without Kapernick. Plus even his team lost to the Ravens.

Most other teams traded up to pick their franchise QB, or he fell to them later in the draft.

It's really difficult to turnover a roster of a "worst team" in the league quickly. Plus since the second contract of any franchise quarterback is such a large percentage of the team's cap, the team really needs to be a division contender and able to win a playoff game by your QB's 2nd season. 

Sure, just getting "the guy" at all cost may help the Jags be relevant for once, but it may not the best way to actually win a ring.
The Super Bowl is the ultimate goal but having continued success is also pretty great. All those QBs listed above gave their team a chance to win every week and ultimately a shot in the playoffs. That’s what the Jags need more than anything. Consistent success and playoff appearances.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2020, 03:32 PM by rpr52121.)

(05-03-2020, 07:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 01:44 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: This right here.

Matt Ryan with Falcons.

The Super Bowl is the ultimate goal but having continued success is also pretty great. All those QBs listed above gave their team a chance to win every week and ultimately a shot in the playoffs. That’s what the Jags need more than anything. Consistent success and playoff appearances.

My point is not that those guys didn't do that. It is that of the 42 Super Bowl appearances since 1998, only 7 were claimed by QB's drafted by one of the worst teams. That doesn't even consider the longer litany of QB's drafted in the top 10 who did NOT make their team relevant, and who many experts thought were "sure things".

My point is that you need a Super Bowl winning TEAM. If you coach the team or manage to have a team that is one of the worst in the league, you have created a much, much larger mountain to climb that is nigh insurmountable.

(05-03-2020, 03:31 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 07:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: The Super Bowl is the ultimate goal but having continued success is also pretty great. All those QBs listed above gave their team a chance to win every week and ultimately a shot in the playoffs. That’s what the Jags need more than anything. Consistent success and playoff appearances.

My point is not that those guys didn't do that. It is that of the 42 Super Bowl appearances since 1998, only 7 were claimed by QB's drafted by one of the worst teams. That doesn't even consider the longer litany of QB's drafted in the top 10 who did NOT make their team relevant, and who many experts thought were "sure things".

My point is that you need a Super Bowl winning TEAM. If you coach the team or manage to have a team that is one of the worst in the league, you have created a much, much larger mountain to climb that is nigh insurmountable.
Fair enough. However is there any other draft slot that has anywhere close to 7 SB appearances? Of course the other draft selections other than #1 overall are going to have more SB appearances. 

My overall point is that I think Lawerence or Fields gives the Jags a better shot at continued success over Minshew or any QB the Jags have ever had. I don’t think they’ll need to ya know because I think the Jags have the weakest roster in the entire league.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2020, 08:53 PM by rpr52121.)

(05-03-2020, 06:49 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 03:31 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: My point is not that those guys didn't do that. It is that of the 42 Super Bowl appearances since 1998, only 7 were claimed by QB's drafted by one of the worst teams. That doesn't even consider the longer litany of QB's drafted in the top 10 who did NOT make their team relevant, and who many experts thought were "sure things".

Fair enough. However is there any other draft slot that has anywhere close to 7 SB appearances? Of course the other draft selections other than #1 overall are going to have more SB appearances. 

My overall point is that I think Lawerence or Fields gives the Jags a better shot at continued success over Minshew or any QB the Jags have ever had. I don’t think they’ll need to ya know because I think the Jags have the weakest roster in the entire league.

I didn't limit to the No 1 overall pick. That search was any team that earned a Top 10 pick by virtue of record the season before they drafted their guy. So, that means like 9 of the last 10 Jaguars seasons would have counted.

I think you’re overthinking this.

Trevor Lawrence is going to be the best QB in the draft, possibly the best QB in the last few drafts. And he’s playing the single most important position in the game.

Maybe he won’t win us a super bowl (it’s still a team sport), maybe he will.

But he will be the biggest difference-maker available. Surely that’s not even open for debate? (Barring a serious injury).

I just hope that if we suck again we aren’t the team picking after he has gone.

Lol @ Jimmy G being anything close to elite. He is garbanzo, no bean.

Lamar Jackson is elite?

He's coming back to Earth in a big, big way next season.

(05-14-2020, 02:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 09:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: In the last 20 years, how many teams that held the number one overall pick have wound up winning a Super Bowl?  One. Kansas City- and it wasn't a QB they drafted, it was a tackle, and he's not even the 10th best player on their team.   

Lamar Jackson is elite?

How so?

(05-14-2020, 03:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 02:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Lamar Jackson is elite?

How so?

Coming back to Earth or not.... Jackson is not yet elite, silly claim. Same with Jimmy G.
These guys have not earned such a title as "elite"
No way no how.