Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Norwell restructed.

(04-28-2020, 08:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Saves us 2.5 mil

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/jaguars...20%251%24s

Can we buy him some HGH with that $$  ??    It's appears that he quit using it when he got our big contract.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-28-2020, 10:24 AM)Rico Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 09:58 AM)mikesez Wrote: we're way under the cap, last I checked.  why do this now?

Newton.

According to Vegas money we are the second favorite to sign him.

I don't know what they're smoking.

The media is desperate for someone to sign Newton, but he's a diva whose best days are behind him. Plus, he's overcoming an injury. He should play for the vet minimum to prove himself.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Welcome back Yan!

Hopefully his contract doesn't have disincentive deductions, like losing money every time he gets pushed back into Minshew. He'll be broke by the end of the season.

Nice move by the FO. I look forward to him having a good year.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(04-28-2020, 09:08 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 08:54 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Good. Now get Linder to do the same.

Naw, Linder is one of the best centers in the game.  I seen a stat where Zack Martin is the only lineman in the league that has more consecutive snaps without giving up a sack.  Linder isn't over paid and has been our best lineman since we drafted him and can play multiple positions at a high level.  He isn't bad against the run either

Linder has no command or leadership ability over the line. He just watches as they fold every play. If you want to be a great center, you need command over your guys. He doesn’t have that.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2020, 10:10 AM by TheDogCatcher.)

(04-29-2020, 07:07 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 09:08 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Naw, Linder is one of the best centers in the game.  I seen a stat where Zack Martin is the only lineman in the league that has more consecutive snaps without giving up a sack.  Linder isn't over paid and has been our best lineman since we drafted him and can play multiple positions at a high level.  He isn't bad against the run either

Linder has no command or leadership ability over the line. He just watches as they fold every play. If you want to be a great center, you need command over your guys. He doesn’t have that.

Supposedly he's good at making line calls, but the proof is in the pudding. Maybe in watching film Gruden determined that Minshew was holding the ball too long and/or many sacks/pressures were schematic. Maybe it's more of an average pass-blocking line, or a passable pass-blocking line if the ball comes out quickly. 

Gruden made Dalton look like a top 15 QB at one time, and Kirk Cousins's production in his offense fooled Minnesota into giving him a huge contract. I'm optimistic. That doesn't excuse that Cann and Cam have no legit competition.

I recall Peyton Manning's lines were often comprised of no-names. Polian didn't draft too many O-linemen high from what I remember because he counted on Peyton to get the ball out quickly or drop to the ground in fetal position if a sack was imminent.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2020, 10:32 AM by Caldrac.)

(04-29-2020, 10:08 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 07:07 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Linder has no command or leadership ability over the line. He just watches as they fold every play. If you want to be a great center, you need command over your guys. He doesn’t have that.

Supposedly he's good at making line calls, but the proof is in the pudding. Maybe in watching film Gruden determined that Minshew was holding the ball too long and/or many sacks/pressures were schematic. Maybe it's more of an average pass-blocking line, or a passable pass-blocking line if the ball comes out quickly. 

Gruden made Dalton look like a top 15 QB at one time, and Kirk Cousins's production in his offense fooled Minnesota into giving him a huge contract. I'm optimistic. That doesn't excuse that Cann and Cam have no legit competition.

I recall Peyton Manning's lines were often comprised of no-names. Polian didn't draft too many O-linemen high from what I remember because he counted on Peyton to get the ball out quickly or drop to the ground in fetal position if a sack was imminent.

Manning's magic was conducted at the presnap phase though. No other QB that I can think of ever did all of the gimmicks, dummy calls, audibles, formation changes, etc. the way he did. He had I think at his disposal some type of set-up where he had three - five different plays with whatever initial formation was called and it was completely up to him to read and react to what the defense was showing him. 

We all knew who called the shots in Indy. It was made clear when Dungy sent the punt team out and Manning told him to [BLEEP] off and kept the offense out there on 4th down and converted it. That's BALLSY. Brady never pulled that type of [BLEEP] with Belichick. That's for sure. It's amazing that guys like Manning haven't thought about getting into coaching or management of within an actual franchise because he CLEARLY has the intelligence to pull it off.

Polian invested a lot around him though when it came to the skill positions on offense. You have to remember in 1997 though before Manning was there he invested in two tackles in Glenn and Meadows early. In 1998 he took Manning and then two receivers and a center in the next three rounds. Then you had guys like Edge at RB, Harrison and Wayne at WR, Pollard and Clark at TE, Gonzalez I think was a late RD1 guy? Addai at RB was a late RD1 guy?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-29-2020, 10:08 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 07:07 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Linder has no command or leadership ability over the line. He just watches as they fold every play. If you want to be a great center, you need command over your guys. He doesn’t have that.

Supposedly he's good at making line calls, but the proof is in the pudding. Maybe in watching film Gruden determined that Minshew was holding the ball too long and/or many sacks/pressures were schematic. Maybe it's more of an average pass-blocking line, or a passable pass-blocking line if the ball comes out quickly

As is, the OL is right about in the middle of every pass protecting stat there is. 

Sacks: 18th
Sack rate: 16th
Hurries: 19th
QB hits: 9th

They aren't as crazy bad at pass protecting as everyone makes it out to be and Minshew definitely had a propensity to hold the ball too long at times. Run blocking is another story.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2020, 04:39 PM by Caldrac.)

(04-29-2020, 02:37 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 10:08 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Supposedly he's good at making line calls, but the proof is in the pudding. Maybe in watching film Gruden determined that Minshew was holding the ball too long and/or many sacks/pressures were schematic. Maybe it's more of an average pass-blocking line, or a passable pass-blocking line if the ball comes out quickly

As is, the OL is right about in the middle of every pass protecting stat there is. 

They aren't as crazy bad at pass protecting as everyone makes it out to be and Minshew definitely had a propensity to hold the ball too long at times. Run blocking is another story.

The penalties need to get cleaned up. Taylor was 2nd (rookie, won't beat him up too bad) and Linder and Robinson (while missing 2 games) for 10th in penalties. Robinson, especially, he tends to have the most inopportune penalties occur on scoring plays or critical conversions. Durability is a concern in general with these guys as always. 

The run blocking was atrocious. Minshew certainly needs to get the football in and out of his hands to survive and thrive this year. Hopefully Gruden knows what to do.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-29-2020, 04:38 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 02:37 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: As is, the OL is right about in the middle of every pass protecting stat there is. 

The penalties need to get cleaned up. Taylor was 2nd (rookie, won't beat him up too bad) and Linder and Robinson (while missing 2 games) for 10th in penalties. Robinson, especially, he tends to have the most inopportune penalties occur on scoring plays or critical conversions. Durability is a concern in general with these guys as always. 

The run blocking was atrocious. Minshew certainly needs to get the football in and out of his hands to survive and thrive this year. Hopefully Gruden knows what to do.

Definitely. They have problems for sure, the penalties are a big one. Hopefully, a combination of experience and health will allow for some improvement there.

Norwell has been our best lineman this year by a good margin this year imo. It would be nice to sign him to an extension

Except for the boneheaded penalties and crap.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(11-08-2021, 09:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Norwell has been our best lineman this year by a good margin this year imo.  It would be nice to sign him to an extension

The Jags restructured his contract specifically to allow Norwell to become a free agent next year.  Since Norwell has been here, he's underperformed his contract and has always had some kind of injury.  Time to get younger and cheaper.

Meh

I'd offer him 7 mil per year , 2 years , with an out after year one and draft his replacement with a one year cushion

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2021, 11:55 PM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-08-2021, 10:59 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 09:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Norwell has been our best lineman this year by a good margin this year imo.  It would be nice to sign him to an extension

The Jags restructured his contract specifically to allow Norwell to become a free agent next year.  Since Norwell has been here, he's underperformed his contract and has always had some kind of injury.  Time to get younger and cheaper.

Hes missed 8 games since we signed him in 2018. 5 games in 2018 and 3 last year.

So that's 8 games out of a total of 56 games so far since we signed him. He's 30 years old. I wouldn't pay him top money, but I wouldn't be against re-signing him on a decent contract. 2-3 year deal worth maybe $6-7m per, give or take.

For cheap? yes. For more than 6 million per year? no
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Always floridajag with these bumps
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

30 years old for an offensive lineman isn't old. I'd sign him to a 3 yr 30mil. deal. You won't get one of the better guards in the league for 6 mil a year.

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2021, 12:39 PM by iHaunting Raven. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-09-2021, 12:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 30 years old for an offensive lineman isn't old.  I'd sign him to a 3 yr 30mil. deal. You won't get one of the better guards in the league for 6 mil a year.

We know. Norwell is not worth more than 6-7 million as he is not one of the best OG in the league.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23