Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Knee to the neck in Minneapolis

Officer Knee is one sadistic [BLEEP]. I got no sympathy at all for these cops. They straight up killed that man.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2020, 10:02 AM by jj82284.)

(05-27-2020, 07:35 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Welcome to the deep south where certain people on this board will attempt to justify this action was warranted by the police.

wait, what?  this happened in Minneapolist bruh.

(05-27-2020, 08:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 07:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Welcome to The Jungle political forum where every liberal thinks all white people are racist

Terrible story. Terrible cops. The first responder conversation you made up sounds like fake news though..
Whew. Thank god racism doesn’t exist right?

prove that race had anything to do with it.

(05-27-2020, 08:54 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Officer Knee is one sadistic [BLEEP].  I got no sympathy at all for these cops.  They straight up killed that man.

+1  

Once you have a guy cuffed, there's no reason for that.  And to my knowledge that tactic in particular was something that officers are trained against.  

I think First degree Murder with the pre-requisite aggrivating circumstances would be impossible to demonstrate to obtain a death penalty, but the officer with his knee on the guys neck, that couldn't pose a threat because he was restrained, and outnumbered is probably facing an Elbow.  

I am pleased to see the resident arbiters of fairness and impartiality expressing their general prejudice musings about conservatives and people from the "deep south"  IT warms my heart a little.

(05-27-2020, 08:24 AM)mikesez Wrote: I think officer knees should face the death penalty. 
If they are found Guilty, they could be released and placed on house arrest due to Covid-19.

great video

(05-27-2020, 10:06 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 08:54 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Officer Knee is one sadistic [BLEEP].  I got no sympathy at all for these cops.  They straight up killed that man.

+1  

Once you have a guy cuffed, there's no reason for that.  And to my knowledge that tactic in particular was something that officers are trained against.  

I think First degree Murder with the pre-requisite aggrivating circumstances would be impossible to demonstrate to obtain a death penalty, but the officer with his knee on the guys neck, that couldn't pose a threat because he was restrained, and outnumbered is probably facing an Elbow.  

I am pleased to see the resident arbiters of fairness and impartiality expressing their general prejudice musings about conservatives and people from the "deep south"  IT warms my heart a little.

Putting a knee or foot on someone's shoulder, armpit and isolating the arm, or the neck does eliminate the ability to get up. They should only do that until he is cuffed and secured. The video shows nothing that happened or was happening other than the 1 officer. I guess he resisted arrest and he was trying to move, so that will probably be the excuse. It takes very little force once someone is cuffed to restrain him. The fact that he had his hands in his pockets show he wasn't really struggling too much. You are supposed to restrain someone to protect yourself and them, they could get up and run into the street and get hit and sue, but they had enough cops there to handle that. It wasn't 1 on 1.

I just don't know why people think they can win against a cop. If a cop attempts to arrest you, it is over. You will either be arrested, tasered, shot, or killed. You have to just stop, lay on the ground and put your hands behind you back. You can fix the situation afterwards, but you can't fix getting hurt because you resisted. It doesn't matter what race you are, you just need to wait because any actions will only make it worse.

I don't like people in positions of power abusing the power and/or lying. I have to refrain from calling them out on their bs because it just makes it worse. Normally don't have issues with cops, but mainly TSA.

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2020, 11:58 AM by JagJohn.)

It's at least good to see that we can finally all agree that police using excessive force against people of color in America is a massive societal problem that needs to be highlighted and addressed, maybe through some form of peaceful protest if possible.

(05-27-2020, 11:54 AM)JagJohn Wrote: It's at least good to see that we can finally all agree that police using excessive force against people of color in America is a massive societal problem that needs to be highlighted and addressed, possible through some form of peaceful protest if possible.

The only massive societal problem based on color is the color blue.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-27-2020, 11:54 AM)JagJohn Wrote: It's at least good to see that we can finally all agree that police using excessive force against people of color in America is a massive societal problem that needs to be highlighted and addressed, maybe through some form of peaceful protest if possible.

Incorrect.

(05-27-2020, 11:40 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 10:06 AM)jj82284 Wrote: +1  

Putting a knee or foot on someone's shoulder, armpit and isolating the arm, or the neck does eliminate the ability to get up. They should only do that until he is cuffed and secured. The video shows nothing that happened or was happening other than the 1 officer. I guess he resisted arrest and he was trying to move, so that will probably be the excuse. It takes very little force once someone is cuffed to restrain him. The fact that he had his hands in his pockets show he wasn't really struggling too much. You are supposed to restrain someone to protect yourself and them, they could get up and run into the street and get hit and sue, but they had enough cops there to handle that. It wasn't 1 on 1.

I just don't know why people think they can win against a cop. If a cop attempts to arrest you, it is over. You will either be arrested, tasered, shot, or killed. You have to just stop, lay on the ground and put your hands behind you back. You can fix the situation afterwards, but you can't fix getting hurt because you resisted. It doesn't matter what race you are, you just need to wait because any actions will only make it worse.

I don't like people in positions of power abusing the power and/or lying. I have to refrain from calling them out on their bs because it just makes it worse. Normally don't have issues with cops, but mainly TSA.

People resist arrest every day.  They usually get some bruises for their trouble.  And the cops might take some blows too, that's one of the reasons we respect cops as much as we do.  It's a dangerous job and will never stop being dangerous.
The fact that some force was needed does not in any way excuse that excessive force was used.
Any of the other three cops who were present could have saved the man's life.  
None of this gets better unless all four cops are in jail.
Cops have to understand that they will face jail when they use excessive force, and when they permit their fellow officers to use it, or else they will keep making excuses and nothing will change.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(05-27-2020, 11:54 AM)JagJohn Wrote: It's at least good to see that we can finally all agree that police using excessive force against people of color in America is a massive societal problem that needs to be highlighted and addressed, maybe through some form of peaceful protest if possible.

No we don't all agree. 
I agree excessive force was used in this case and the cops should face criminal charges.

How foolish of me to think that the mountain of evidence, both statistical and visual, would actually convince people to believe that America has a problem with police violence against people of color.

(05-27-2020, 04:13 PM)JagJohn Wrote: How foolish of me to think that the mountain of evidence, both statistical and visual, would actually convince people to believe that America has a problem with police violence against people of color.

U have the floor.  Please, demonstrate any racial motivations in this case.

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2020, 04:46 PM by p_rushing.)

(05-27-2020, 01:24 PM)mikesez Wrote: People resist arrest every day.  They usually get some bruises for their trouble.  And the cops might take some blows too, that's one of the reasons we respect cops as much as we do.  It's a dangerous job and will never stop being dangerous.
The fact that some force was needed does not in any way excuse that excessive force was used.
Cops have to understand that they will face jail when they use excessive force, and when they permit their fellow officers to use it, or else they will keep making excuses and nothing will change.

I'm not excusing the cops in the situation, other than the video doesn't show everything at least in the small clip I saw. I doubt there would be a reason to continue to put your knee on someone's neck, but who knows.

The problem is with excessive force, it is hard to define and it is too open ended. It is very hard to handcuff someone that doesn't want to be. It takes a lot of force even for smaller, weak people. So how do you not use excessive force to handcuff someone that is resisting arrest? 2 cops would have a hard time handcuffing a stronger person. In the struggle, a gun could be taken and then a cop gets shot.

The issue stems from cops not being able to quickly make someone resisting comply. You can't hit them, you can't damage their arm/shoulder, you can't even just taser them. I thought when tasers came out, that would be the go to response. You don't comply, you immediately shocked and put on the ground. The issue was it harms some people, they sue, so you can't do that any more.

Right or wrong, if police want to arrest you, you have to comply or risk injury. This was overboard, but don't give bad cops an excuse to be bad.

(05-27-2020, 04:45 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 01:24 PM)mikesez Wrote: People resist arrest every day.  They usually get some bruises for their trouble.  And the cops might take some blows too, that's one of the reasons we respect cops as much as we do.  It's a dangerous job and will never stop being dangerous.

I'm not excusing the cops in the situation, other than the video doesn't show everything at least in the small clip I saw. I doubt there would be a reason to continue to put your knee on someone's neck, but who knows.

The problem is with excessive force, it is hard to define and it is too open ended. It is very hard to handcuff someone that doesn't want to be. It takes a lot of force even for smaller, weak people. So how do you not use excessive force to handcuff someone that is resisting arrest? 2 cops would have a hard time handcuffing a stronger person. In the struggle, a gun could be taken and then a cop gets shot.

The issue stems from cops not being able to quickly make someone resisting comply. You can't hit them, you can't damage their arm/shoulder, you can't even just taser them. I thought when tasers came out, that would be the go to response. You don't comply, you immediately shocked and put on the ground. The issue was it harms some people, they sue, so you can't do that any more.

Right or wrong, if police want to arrest you, you have to comply or risk injury. This was overboard, but don't give bad cops an excuse to be bad.

I'm with u 100% but in this case the guy had his knee on the guys neck for 4 minutes or so.  @ first the guy was still talking complaining etc.  @ that point ok, your letting the guy settle down.  When the guy went into clear physical distress the officer showed zero concern and held his knee in place while the guy couldn't talk and was unresponsive.  

As police officers you have a responsibility to protect the person u have in custody even if they aren't being compliant unless they pose a reasonable risk to your safety.  With the guy handcuffed and outnumbered there was no reason to hold him there in a manner that threatened and ultimately cost him his life.  

In contrast, Eric Garner was in the process of being restrained and an officer had him in a headlock for 13 seconds.  I believe he died of a heart attack associated with weight exertion etc.  In this case the guy had him in a hold well past the point of him being responsive.

Based on the little that I have seen regarding this case I have the following opinions/observations.

1.  We don't know exactly what happened prior to the suspect being put on the ground and restrained.

2.  The police officer used an incorrect method to restrain the suspect, especially if the suspect was cuffed.  Putting a knee on the throat is a HUGE "no-no".

3.  We don't know the physical/mental health history of the suspect.

4.  From what I understand the suspect was under the influence of some kind of drug and resisted when the police officers were trying to put him in the patrol vehicle.

Based on what I have seen and understand about this case, the officer with the knee on the neck should probably be charged (and convicted) with manslaughter.  A murder charge would never hold up unless there is evidence to prove that he had the intent to kill the suspect (hard to prove based on the evidence known).  He was blatantly wrong and should face the consequences.

Regarding the other officers at the scene, I find it difficult to come up with a crime that they should be charged with.  Should they have perhaps tried to stop the officer with the knee to the neck?  Yes.  However failure to do so is not a crime.  It is/was grounds to get fired, but they did not actively participate in a crime.

Again, this is just my opinion based on the facts that are known.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(05-27-2020, 04:36 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 04:13 PM)JagJohn Wrote: How foolish of me to think that the mountain of evidence, both statistical and visual, would actually convince people to believe that America has a problem with police violence against people of color.

U have the floor.  Please, demonstrate any racial motivations in this case.

That's just the thing isn't it? Unless an officer directly says "I'm going to kill you because you are black", you guys are just never going to admit that the terrifying number of similar incidents of violence against people of color has anything to do with racism.

I find it astounding that so many people will sign up for all manner of absurb conspiracy theories without a shred of evidence, and yet those same people are unable (or, more often, unwilling) to see something that is so blatantly clear and backed by multiple videos and statistics.

Rant over, I should have never ended my self-imposed exile from the politics section of this board, it's just not worth it.

(05-27-2020, 07:08 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 04:36 PM)jj82284 Wrote: U have the floor.  Please, demonstrate any racial motivations in this case.

That's just the thing isn't it? Unless an officer directly says "I'm going to kill you because you are black", you guys are just never going to admit that the terrifying number of similar incidents of violence against people of color has anything to do with racism.

I find it astounding that so many people will sign up for all manner of absurb conspiracy theories without a shred of evidence, and yet those same people are unable (or, more often, unwilling) to see something that is so blatantly clear and backed by multiple videos and statistics.

Rant over, I should have never ended my self-imposed exile from the politics section of this board, it's just not worth it.

So no evidence?

(05-27-2020, 07:08 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 04:36 PM)jj82284 Wrote: U have the floor.  Please, demonstrate any racial motivations in this case.

Stick around man.  Don't let the bastards get you down. Gets lonely around here when people with empathy keep running away in horror.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.