Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rayshard Brooks

Death penalty?

Maybe the plan isnt to abolish police but to make people never want to become them

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2020, 04:57 PM by mikesez.)

(06-17-2020, 03:54 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1...52832?s=19

Felony murder might be an overcharge.
One thing we didn't bring up in our discussion on the board so far is that this was a parking lot full of people.
Good on the prosecutor for highlighting that fact with the additional charges.  Not sure how the statute is actually written, but it should be a slam dunk to prove.  
DON'T SHOOT YOUR A PISTOL INTO LARGE GROUPS OF PEOPLE, OK?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-17-2020, 04:45 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 04:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, it's in many reports, along with security camera that shows a wide angle of what happened.

That's the thing, we're being told that he was "kicked" which could anything from a nudge with the toe to a 50 yard field goal attempt by a DA who has already told outright lies and clearly overcharged the officers in question. Sound like the DA is playing the "Let's start a riot" game with us.

Just watched the video there, definitely force behind it but the angle is obscured by the car.

https://youtu.be/MawQYNNIoZ0

28:40 on

So what is the likely thing?  An officer that was just fighting for his life against a much bigger assailant trying to get a weapon away from him, or him kicking the guy while he's down bleeding out?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-17-2020, 04:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Death penalty?

Maybe the plan isnt to abolish police but to make people never want to become them

As much as many people would like to see the death penalty given to an innocent police officer it will never happen.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2020, 04:59 PM by JackCity.)

(06-17-2020, 04:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 04:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/12...19328?s=19

The officer who stood on his shoulders is actually testifying against them too (to save his own bacon obv)

Neither officer "stood on his shoulders".

(06-17-2020, 04:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Have we seen that happen? Every video I've seen cuts off before the shooter moves to the criminal.

I just watched the surveillance video from the Wendy's that gives a fairly clear picture of the scene.  I'm not going to post the video here or link to it, but if you go to youtube and search "Wendy's Surveillance Video - OIS Atlanta - 6.12.20" it's there.  Go to around 28:30 in the video to see the exchange.

The DA clearly mis-characterized what happened.  The officer fired on him after a clear turn towards him with "a" weapon that made a flash.  There is no way that the officer knows "without a shadow of doubt" that it was a taser and not a firearm.

The officer that shot him didn't "kick him while he was dying", he appeared to be kicking the weapon away from him.  The second officer didn't "stand on his shoulders", he held a foot on one shoulder to ensure that he didn't make any sudden or unexpected move (pretty much standard procedure) while it appeared that he was quickly checked for any other weapons.

The officers didn't render any first aide until backup arrived at the scene (again pretty much standard procedure).

In my opinion the DA way over-stated what happened and way over-charged the officer.  My best guess is that he did it for a couple of reasons.

1.  Placate the already "enraged" public.

2.  They don't want this to go to trial because the charges would never hold up.  They are probably hoping for a plea down in charges in order to get a conviction.

If the case does go to trial and assuming that they are able to get an impartial jury, there is no way that they can convict.

You can pretty clearly see the taser fall away from his hands as he falls. Did officer did not "kick" it away. there are no reports of him having another weapon on him.

(06-17-2020, 04:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 04:45 PM)JackCity Wrote: Just watched the video there, definitely force behind it but the angle is obscured by the car.

https://youtu.be/MawQYNNIoZ0

28:40 on

So what is the likely thing?  An officer that was just fighting for his life against a much bigger assailant trying to get a weapon away from him, or him kicking the guy while he's down bleeding out?

He didn't have a weapon on the ground

(06-17-2020, 04:57 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 04:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Neither officer "stood on his shoulders".

I just watched the surveillance video from the Wendy's that gives a fairly clear picture of the scene.  I'm not going to post the video here or link to it, but if you go to youtube and search "Wendy's Surveillance Video - OIS Atlanta - 6.12.20" it's there.  Go to around 28:30 in the video to see the exchange.

The DA clearly mis-characterized what happened.  The officer fired on him after a clear turn towards him with "a" weapon that made a flash.  There is no way that the officer knows "without a shadow of doubt" that it was a taser and not a firearm.

The officer that shot him didn't "kick him while he was dying", he appeared to be kicking the weapon away from him.  The second officer didn't "stand on his shoulders", he held a foot on one shoulder to ensure that he didn't make any sudden or unexpected move (pretty much standard procedure) while it appeared that he was quickly checked for any other weapons.

The officers didn't render any first aide until backup arrived at the scene (again pretty much standard procedure).

In my opinion the DA way over-stated what happened and way over-charged the officer.  My best guess is that he did it for a couple of reasons.

1.  Placate the already "enraged" public.

2.  They don't want this to go to trial because the charges would never hold up.  They are probably hoping for a plea down in charges in order to get a conviction.

If the case does go to trial and assuming that they are able to get an impartial jury, there is no way that they can convict.

You can pretty clearly see the taser fall away from his hands as he falls. Did officer did not "kick" it away. there are no reports of him having another weapon on him.

(06-17-2020, 04:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So what is the likely thing?  An officer that was just fighting for his life against a much bigger assailant trying to get a weapon away from him, or him kicking the guy while he's down bleeding out?

If you look at it full screen you can see the weapon that falls to the ground was the taser that the officer dropped when he drew his weapon.  When he first went down it appears that the officer was trying to take something away from him, then just kicked it.

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2020, 05:19 PM by JackCity.)

(06-17-2020, 05:04 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 04:57 PM)JackCity Wrote: You can pretty clearly see the taser fall away from his hands as he falls. Did officer did not "kick" it away. there are no reports of him having another weapon on him.

If you look at it full screen you can see the weapon that falls to the ground was the taser that the officer dropped when he drew his weapon.  When he first went down it appears that the officer was trying to take something away from him, then just kicked it.

I watched it full screen, you are looking at the wrong area of the screen. Look at the Brooks hand as he's running and then falls, the taser falls out of his hand a few feet ahead, just a bit out of view with the parked car.

He had no weapon on him during their search and had no weapons on him after the chase and shots.

Candace Owens...

George Floyd: high on fentanyl and trying to use a counterfeit bill after 9 prison stints.

Rayshard Brooks: drunk-driving while on probation for beating his wife & kids.

Why don’t you COWARDS stop pretending these people were changing their lives?

STOP SANCTIFYING CRIMINALS.

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2020, 05:35 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

The GBI hasn't completed their investigation.

The DA simply took the warrant to a judged and asked for it. He doesn't have the shooting officer's testimony, and Howard didn't even consult the GBI before getting the warrant.

(06-17-2020, 04:52 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 03:54 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1...52832?s=19

Felony murder might be an overcharge.
One thing we didn't bring up in our discussion on the board so far is that this was a parking lot full of people.
Good on the prosecutor for highlighting that fact with the additional charges.  Not sure how the statute is actually written, but it should be a slam dunk to prove.  

There was one vehicle behind him. Large group of people? C'mon.

Well if Candice Owens said it....

(06-17-2020, 05:35 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Well if Candice Owens said it....

What is it that she said that you disagree with? Do you think George Floyd was worth the burning, looting, and murders committed in his name?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(06-17-2020, 05:31 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: The GBI hasn't completed their investigation.

The DA simply took the warrant to a judged and asked for it. He doesn't have the shooting officer's testimony, and Howard didn't even consult the GBI before getting the warrant.

(06-17-2020, 04:52 PM)mikesez Wrote: Felony murder might be an overcharge.

This really smells... as in stinks... like sewage.  The DA is clearly being biased rather than objective.

Regarding the part in red, one would think that the DA would gather as much and ALL evidence available before bringing charges.  This is setting up for an acquittal (and more riots).  It appears that the DA wants to try this case in the "court of public opinion" rather than in a court of law.

I assume from your posts and your username that you are probably a peace officer in Georgia.  If I was you I might consider seeking employment elsewhere.

Without considering the past criminal history of the thug, let's look at the laws that he broke the lead up to his death.

1.  DUI
2.  Resisting Arrest
3.  Assault on a Police officer (x2)
4.  Battery on a police officer (x2)
5.  Felony theft (taking the officer's weapon)
6.  Aggravated assault on a police officer (when he pointed and fired a weapon at a police officer)

The DA seems to conveniently leave all of that out.

(06-17-2020, 06:36 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 05:31 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: The GBI hasn't completed their investigation.

This really smells... as in stinks... like sewage.  The DA is clearly being biased rather than objective.

Regarding the part in red, one would think that the DA would gather as much and ALL evidence available before bringing charges.  This is setting up for an acquittal (and more riots).  It appears that the DA wants to try this case in the "court of public opinion" rather than in a court of law.

I assume from your posts and your username that you are probably a peace officer in Georgia.  If I was you I might consider seeking employment elsewhere.

Without considering the past criminal history of the thug, let's look at the laws that he broke the lead up to his death.

1.  DUI
2.  Resisting Arrest
6.  Aggravated assault on a police officer (when he pointed and fired a weapon at a police officer)

I am not familiar with GA law, so please tell me, do any of those 6 carry the death penalty?

I'm sure the prosecutor will get around to bringing those charges as soon as Mr Brooks has warm blood put back in him and gets his heart restarted.

I'd say the shooting pig will get a manslaughter verdict at very most

(06-17-2020, 05:22 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Candace Owens...

George Floyd: high on fentanyl and trying to use a counterfeit bill after 9 prison stints.

Rayshard Brooks: drunk-driving while on probation for beating his wife & kids.

Why don’t you COWARDS stop pretending these people were changing their lives?

STOP SANCTIFYING CRIMINALS.

Most death row inmates get at least ten years before being put to death ... But, I agree with you. Derek Chauvin (18 prior complaints) shouldn't get any longer than his victim. That is what you and Candice are getting at ... Right?

(06-17-2020, 04:18 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 04:07 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: That’s the first I heard of that. I’m assuming, knowing how Howard twists things, the officer May have kept his foot on his shoulder as the other arrested him. Who knows? Howard lies So I’m interested in knowing what if he actually did.

The cynic in me thinks this is less about Howard and more about positioning Keisha Lance Bottoms as Biden's running mate. I kinda thought she'd earned that already given the other contenders, but standing up to the governor on COVID and keeping the city in one piece (then inexplicably firing the chief of police who actually kept the city in one piece)  will boost her resume, I guess?

She's as dirty as most of the politicians in Atlanta. She was already under investigation I think before she even started the job.

(06-17-2020, 06:45 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 06:36 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: This really smells... as in stinks... like sewage.  The DA is clearly being biased rather than objective.

1.  DUI
2.  Resisting Arrest

I am not familiar with GA law, so please tell me, do any of those 6 carry the death penalty?

I'm sure the prosecutor will get around to bringing those charges as soon as Mr Brooks has warm blood put back in him and gets his heart restarted.

Stop equivocating the original crime with the death penalty. The minute aggravated assault on a police officer comes into play, lethal force is put on the table. They were not shooting this man because he drove drunk.

(06-17-2020, 07:10 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 06:45 PM)mikesez Wrote: I am not familiar with GA law, so please tell me, do any of those 6 carry the death penalty?

Stop equivocating the original crime with the death penalty. The minute aggravated assault on a police officer comes into play, lethal force is put on the table. They were not shooting this man because he drove drunk.

That is an interesting proposition.
Are you quoting that from a Georgia statute?

(06-17-2020, 06:46 PM)JackCity Wrote: I'd say the shooting pig will get a manslaughter verdict at very most

He should, but he won't. What I feel, and what I see is different. Any defense attorney would win this one. The evidence isn't there, but the cop (Rolfe) is a BAD cop, and he is the exact reason we need to hold police accountable. They need to do the job without acting superior. They aren't, but they evidently can't help themselves. How would they want their Mother, and Father treated during a traffic stop? How do we get there?

(06-17-2020, 07:09 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 04:18 PM)TJBender Wrote: The cynic in me thinks this is less about Howard and more about positioning Keisha Lance Bottoms as Biden's running mate. I kinda thought she'd earned that already given the other contenders, but standing up to the governor on COVID and keeping the city in one piece (then inexplicably firing the chief of police who actually kept the city in one piece)  will boost her resume, I guess?

She's as dirty as most of the politicians in Atlanta. She was already under investigation I think before she even started the job.

You think? She was investigated during her mayoral campaign, and she returned some contribution money. Do you have other info about how dirty she is, and does it make her any dirtier than any other major city mayor?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]