Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Report: NFL to play song known as the Black National Anthem before season openers

(07-03-2020, 04:40 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 03:04 AM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: What the hell is a black national anthem? We are one nation, there is one national anthem. Or are we already conceding that blacks will soon self-segregate to their own nation after the balkanization of the US? This next Civil War will be a wild one.

That's what I thought.  Why are blacks getting a special one?  What happens when someone asks for a "white" national anthem?  How about Native Americans, shouldn't they get their own also (or do they have to go to a FSU game)?

We already have one of those. When Francis Scott Key wrote the lyrics to our national anthem, can you make a believable case that he had all Americans in mind? Was the United States really the "land of the free"?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-02-2020, 10:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I guess only some religious discussion is forbidden here.

Where was the religious discussion? He just posted lyrics.
- Bob Marley

(07-04-2020, 11:12 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 04:40 PM)Sneakers Wrote: That's what I thought.  Why are blacks getting a special one?  What happens when someone asks for a "white" national anthem?  How about Native Americans, shouldn't they get their own also (or do they have to go to a FSU game)?

We already have one of those. When Francis Scott Key wrote the lyrics to our national anthem, can you make a believable case that he had all Americans in mind? Was the United States really the "land of the free"?

He wrote more than one verse.  In one of the verses that we don't sing, he notes that the British had tried to free some of the slaves and turn them into soldiers, and he celebrates that they were unsuccessful.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2020, 02:41 PM by Lucky2Last.)

Let's look at the verses that people love to claim are racist:

Quote:And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

The line that often gets mentioned is the one about the hirelings and slaves. The British armies had paid mercenaries, such as the German Hessians. They also paid and enlisted those who would defect, including slaves. They were doing all they could to overwhelm and disrupt the American forces. Francis Scott Key went aboard a British ship to negotiate the release of one of his friends, and they wouldn't let him return until after they shelled For McHenry. This was during the War of 1812. So, Key watched as the British shelled the ship through the night. The Brits had some of their infantry attack the fort, along with the paid Hessians and a unit made up of former slaves known as the Colonial Marines (who were badasses in their own right), but the Americans were able to fend them off. 

His penning of this entire poem is a recount of that night, and meant illuminate that the Americans could withstand such an overwhelming show of force. The first 4 lines is a stab at the Brits, who were probably gloating about how they were going to destroy the fort and take it that night, only to be forced into a retreat, which included the hireling and the slave. 

Francis Scott Key may have been a racist. Good chance, considering the times. However, the poem is not inherently racist unless you really want it to be. Just because it contains the word "slave," doesn't make it racist. This is like saying, "Yeah...  you talked a lot of trash, but we beat you. You even went and got help and we whooped them, too." Side note: Key had faced the Colonial Marines in a previous battle, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had some resentment towards them. This doesn't make the entire poem racist, and it definitely doesn't make our official national anthem racist. 

Keep peddling the divisiveness.

(07-04-2020, 09:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Black people didn't start this stuff.  White people did it.  White people told black people they weren't as good, they can't use our water fountains or our hotels or our public bathrooms.  We kept them out of certain jobs, we enslaved them, we lynched them, we discriminated against them, kept them out of our sports, kept them out of our schools.  We told them they can only marry other black people.  In short, white people are the ones that made black people separate.   We segregated them from us.  We are the ones at fault.  

And so, 100 years ago, they wrote a song and called it their "national anthem" and apparently some of us, at least in this thread, are upset about it.  Well who started all this stuff anyway?  Who was it that told them they were not the same as us?

I say let's play the damn song and be happy about it.

Who exactly is this "our" and "we" that you refer to?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-04-2020, 02:40 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Let's look at the verses that people love to claim are racist:
More accurately, let's look at the verses that 99.9% of Americans don't even know exist.  Just another excuse to create discord out of obscurity.

(07-04-2020, 11:04 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 10:02 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Fixed this for you. 

That said, still think people are making too much of this song. It's just called the black national anthem as a nickname. It's not actually a black national anthem. And, I am all for it if people would listen to the words and actually apply them to our lives. It's a song of hope. Unfortunately, it's appeasement, and the focus will be on the division it creates, not the message.

Wow you're a tool.
Even if the edits you gave above were closer to the truth than Marty's original (and they're not) today our choice in November is between the 2020 version of the Democratic Party and the 2020 version of the Republican Party. What each party did generations ago is not relevant to that decision.

The point that you missed (shocker), is that there has been one party that has been about division and it is continuing in its legacy. Spare me the BS about parties switching sides. Exactly one person switched parties after the Civil Right's era. Lyndon B. Johnson was a racist, as was Hillary's mentor. Bill Clinton has made comments that would get him crucified if he were Republican, same with Joe Biden. Even the stupid freaking kneeling with the Kente cloths... I could do this all day.  Democrats just say and do the most racist things. They leverage black suffering to gain political power, but their underlying message is that the black community can do anything without them. So, they push this lie into black communities and mainstream thought: Blacks need their help and shouldn't be treated equally. "Here's your anthem, guys... vote for us." Bigots. 

Side note: I don't want my previous post to be seen as an attack on Marty. Like the dude, just think when you inspect the facts closely, you see that there's always been a group that peddles division in our country.

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2020, 03:53 PM by Sammy.)

Amazing grace! how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch; like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
 And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
 The hour I first believed!

The Lord hath promised good to me,
 His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
 As long as life endures.

When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we first begun.

(07-04-2020, 03:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 09:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Black people didn't start this stuff.  White people did it.  White people told black people they weren't as good, they can't use our water fountains or our hotels or our public bathrooms.  We kept them out of certain jobs, we enslaved them, we lynched them, we discriminated against them, kept them out of our sports, kept them out of our schools.  We told them they can only marry other black people.  In short, white people are the ones that made black people separate.   We segregated them from us.  We are the ones at fault.  

And so, 100 years ago, they wrote a song and called it their "national anthem" and apparently some of us, at least in this thread, are upset about it.  Well who started all this stuff anyway?  Who was it that told them they were not the same as us?

I say let's play the damn song and be happy about it.

Who exactly is this "our" and "we" that you refer to?

Dead people.

(07-04-2020, 03:24 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 11:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: Wow you're a tool.
Even if the edits you gave above were closer to the truth than Marty's original (and they're not) today our choice in November is between the 2020 version of the Democratic Party and the 2020 version of the Republican Party. What each party did generations ago is not relevant to that decision.

The point that you missed (shocker), is that there has been one party that has been about division and it is continuing in its legacy. Spare me the BS about parties switching sides. Exactly one person switched parties after the Civil Right's era. Lyndon B. Johnson was a racist, as was Hillary's mentor. Bill Clinton has made comments that would get him crucified if he were Republican, same with Joe Biden. Even the stupid freaking kneeling with the Kente cloths... I could do this all day.  Democrats just say and do the most racist things. They leverage black suffering to gain political power, but their underlying message is that the black community can do anything without them. So, they push this lie into black communities and mainstream thought: Blacks need their help and shouldn't be treated equally. "Here's your anthem, guys... vote for us." Bigots. 

Side note: I don't want my previous post to be seen as an attack on Marty. Like the dude, just think when you inspect the facts closely, you see that there's always been a group that peddles division in our country.

OK so you want to do this.
Which President desegregated the military?
Which President started the war on drugs?
Which President first required federal contractors to take affirmative action? 
I mean if you really want to do this, at least do it right.

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2020, 04:20 PM by mikesez.)

(07-04-2020, 02:40 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Let's look at the verses that people love to claim are racist:

Quote:And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

The line that often gets mentioned is the one about the hirelings and slaves. The British armies had paid mercenaries, such as the German Hessians. They also paid and enlisted those who would defect, including slaves. They were doing all they could to overwhelm and disrupt the American forces. Francis Scott Key went aboard a British ship to negotiate the release of one of his friends, and they wouldn't let him return until after they shelled For McHenry. This was during the War of 1812. So, Key watched as the British shelled the ship through the night. The Brits had some of their infantry attack the fort, along with the paid Hessians and a unit made up of former slaves known as the Colonial Marines (who were badasses in their own right), but the Americans were able to fend them off. 

His penning of this entire poem is a recount of that night, and meant illuminate that the Americans could withstand such an overwhelming show of force. The first 4 lines is a stab at the Brits, who were probably gloating about how they were going to destroy the fort and take it that night, only to be forced into a retreat, which included the hireling and the slave. 

Francis Scott Key may have been a racist. Good chance, considering the times. However, the poem is not inherently racist unless you really want it to be. Just because it contains the word "slave," doesn't make it racist. This is like saying, "Yeah...  you talked a lot of trash, but we beat you. You even went and got help and we whooped them, too." Side note: Key had faced the Colonial Marines in a previous battle, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had some resentment towards them. This doesn't make the entire poem racist, and it definitely doesn't make our official national anthem racist. 

Keep peddling the divisiveness.

Rollerjag is still correct that Key did not write the song for all Americans.  The song celebrates that an attempt to free American slaves failed.
It's just the truth. Don't shoot the messenger.
That said, the German national anthem also has verses people have forgotten. it was originally written to cheer on the battles for German unification, but the Nazis appropriated it and emphasized one of the verses only. Modern Germany now only sings a different verse that the Nazis were known to omit.
The process of naming, shaming, and deplatforming racism needs to be taken with all the diligence that the process of denazification entailed. We're not there yet, but at least we're pushing in the right direction at the moment.

(07-04-2020, 03:24 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 11:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: Wow you're a tool.

So, is it your contention that President Trump is sewing unity?
- Bob Marley

(07-04-2020, 04:54 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 03:24 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: The point that you missed (shocker), is that there has been one party that has been about division and it is continuing in its legacy. Spare me the BS about parties switching sides. Exactly one person switched parties after the Civil Right's era. Lyndon B. Johnson was a racist, as was Hillary's mentor. Bill Clinton has made comments that would get him crucified if he were Republican, same with Joe Biden. Even the stupid freaking kneeling with the Kente cloths... I could do this all day.  Democrats just say and do the most racist things. They leverage black suffering to gain political power, but their underlying message is that the black community can do anything without them. So, they push this lie into black communities and mainstream thought: Blacks need their help and shouldn't be treated equally. "Here's your anthem, guys... vote for us." Bigots. 

He's leaving them in stitches!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-04-2020, 04:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 04:54 PM)rollerjag Wrote: So, is it your contention that President Trump is sewing unity?

He's leaving them in stitches!

Truly, he offers the ridiculousness that his enemies had hoped for.

(07-04-2020, 04:54 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 03:24 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: The point that you missed (shocker), is that there has been one party that has been about division and it is continuing in its legacy. Spare me the BS about parties switching sides. Exactly one person switched parties after the Civil Right's era. Lyndon B. Johnson was a racist, as was Hillary's mentor. Bill Clinton has made comments that would get him crucified if he were Republican, same with Joe Biden. Even the stupid freaking kneeling with the Kente cloths... I could do this all day.  Democrats just say and do the most racist things. They leverage black suffering to gain political power, but their underlying message is that the black community can do anything without them. So, they push this lie into black communities and mainstream thought: Blacks need their help and shouldn't be treated equally. "Here's your anthem, guys... vote for us." Bigots. 

No. Not at all. I want to dedicate some time to this answer, so not really able to get to it right now, but I plan to. Just didn't want you to think I was ignoring this.

(07-04-2020, 06:31 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 04:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He's leaving them in stitches!

Truly, he offers the ridiculousness that his enemies had hoped for.

Suuuuuurrrreee, as they counter with Dementia Joe and MaligNancy Pelosi slurring through their half wit talking points.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-05-2020, 11:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 06:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: Truly, he offers the ridiculousness that his enemies had hoped for.

Suuuuuurrrreee, as they counter with Dementia Joe and MaligNancy Pelosi slurring through their half wit talking points.
Have you listened to Trump speak recently? Not sure him and Joe are that much different at this point in terms of dementia. Didn’t he just say that we fought desert storm in the jungles of Vietnam? Lol

(07-05-2020, 11:54 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 11:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Suuuuuurrrreee, as they counter with Dementia Joe and MaligNancy Pelosi slurring through their half wit talking points.
Have you listened to Trump speak recently? Not sure him and Joe are that much different at this point in terms of dementia. Didn’t he just say that we fought desert storm in the jungles of Vietnam? Lol

Yes, I listened to him at Mt. Rushmore. Great speech. 

Your horrible attempt trying to put Trump in the same cognitive category as Joe Biden is pathetic.

(07-05-2020, 12:00 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 11:54 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Have you listened to Trump speak recently? Not sure him and Joe are that much different at this point in terms of dementia. Didn’t he just say that we fought desert storm in the jungles of Vietnam? Lol

Yes, I listened to him at Mt. Rushmore. Great speech. 

Your horrible attempt trying to put Trump in the same cognitive category as Joe Biden is pathetic.
So wait.... was Desert Storm in Vietnam?

It’s not even an attempt. Trump babbles all the time....

Sorry I struck a nerve by talking about your boyfriend.

(07-05-2020, 12:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 12:00 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Yes, I listened to him at Mt. Rushmore. Great speech. 

So wait.... was Desert Storm in Vietnam?

When Donald Trunp says he is married to Donald Trump, then there may be a problem.

(07-05-2020, 12:10 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 12:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So wait.... was Desert Storm in Vietnam?

When Donald Trunp says he is married to Donald Trump, then there may be a problem.
lol suuuuuure

You would just come up with another excuse.