Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Report: NFL to play song known as the Black National Anthem before season openers

(07-06-2020, 08:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: NYC, when did you get elected to speak for African-Americans?

Probably the same time caucasian basement dwellers started to violently protest for them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-06-2020, 08:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 08:00 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Misleading or not, my point is that is the exact title of article he linked.

It’s not just PFT. 
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...368762002/

Whether you agree or not, the song is referred to as the Black National Anthem.

It is indeed casually referred to as the black national anthem. Not formally.  
Putting it in a headline suggests formality and those headlines are seeking to stir the pot. Not to objectively inform.

I think it's a misrepresentation to imply this song will serve as something akin to The Star Spangled Banner when there is no indication that is the intent.
  If that IS the case, then this progressively minded NFL fan thinks the league is really tone deaf on how to handle the current climate and it's a misstep. Too divisive. 

But there's no info to support it will even happen - much less any intent to provide a "separate anthem."

I've made my points. I'll step away from the thread and the title alterations. 
I trust the rest of the mod team to find a happy place with that title. 

Man, I wish we had some Jags news to talk about 
Tongue

Calling it the BNA isn’t a negative thing just because someone wants to make it one.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(07-06-2020, 08:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: NYC, when did you get elected to speak for African-Americans?

At what point specifically have I "spoken for African Americans?" 

I've shared common knowledge readily available to anyone that bothers to seek it out. 

Twitter is abuzz today with African Americans questioning the term "black national anthem." It's a nickname and not official in any way.  How is telling you that speaking for anyone?

(07-06-2020, 08:24 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 08:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It is indeed casually referred to as the black national anthem. Not formally.  
Putting it in a headline suggests formality and those headlines are seeking to stir the pot. Not to objectively inform.

I think it's a misrepresentation to imply this song will serve as something akin to The Star Spangled Banner when there is no indication that is the intent.
  If that IS the case, then this progressively minded NFL fan thinks the league is really tone deaf on how to handle the current climate and it's a misstep. Too divisive. 

But there's no info to support it will even happen - much less any intent to provide a "separate anthem."

I've made my points. I'll step away from the thread and the title alterations. 
I trust the rest of the mod team to find a happy place with that title. 

Man, I wish we had some Jags news to talk about 
Tongue

Calling it the BNA isn’t a negative thing just because someone wants to make it one.

What is negative is the implication that it is a separate "anthem" because people assume it is of some similar or rivaling import to the national anthem. It's a divisive implication. 

If the NFL puts out a memorandum that we must stand and remove our hats for Lift Every Voice and Sing then let me know. So far they haven't even confirmed the song will be performed.

(07-06-2020, 08:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

At what point specifically have I "spoken for African Americans?" 

I've shared common knowledge readily available to anyone that bothers to seek it out. 

Twitter is abuzz today with African Americans questioning the term "black national anthem." It's a nickname and not official in any way.  How is telling you that speaking for anyone?

(07-06-2020, 08:24 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Calling it the BNA isn’t a negative thing just because someone wants to make it one.

What is negative is the implication that it is a separate "anthem" because people assume it is of some similar or rivaling import to the national anthem. It's a divisive implication. 

If the NFL puts out a memorandum that we must stand and remove our hats for Lift Every Voice and Sing then let me know. So far they haven't even confirmed the song will be performed.

Of course we're behind internet anonymity here, but I've always thought you were a white dude based on your postings. That of course leads to a pretty funny interpretation of your continual "whitesplaining" to all of us things like how "Lift Every Voice And Sing", dubbed the "Negro National Anthem" by the NAACP over 100 years ago, isn't the black national anthem since, you know, white people shouldn't be microaggressing against black culture that way. And if my perception of you is incorrect be assured there is no malicious intent, just kinds funny.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I think I've spoken on behalf of blacks more than NYC. I realize you're using the language of the left to point out his hypocrisy, but I would just rather debate this in the market place of ideas. Gotta be honest, the argument thrown out by NYC and Marty is terrible on it's face. I just can't think of anything more offensive than thinking it's ok to intentionally offer any community platitudes so that a different community can maintain power. The sad part is that it's true. I wish they could acknowledge how demeaning it is, though.

(07-07-2020, 08:17 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I think I've spoken on  behalf of blacks more than NYC. I realize you're using the language of the left to point out his hypocrisy, but I would just rather debate this in the market place of ideas. Gotta be honest, the argument thrown out by NYC and Marty is terrible on it's face. I just can't think of anything more offensive than thinking it's ok to intentionally offer any community platitudes so that a different community can maintain power. The sad part is that it's true. I wish they could acknowledge how demeaning it is, though.

First you say my "argument" is terrible, then you say it's true.  

What argument did you think I was making?  I was talking about how easy it is for the establishment to placate people with symbolic gestures that are very close to cost-free.

(07-06-2020, 09:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 08:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: At what point specifically have I "spoken for African Americans?" 

Of course we're behind internet anonymity here, but I've always thought you were a white dude based on your postings. That of course leads to a pretty funny interpretation of your continual "whitesplaining" to all of us things like how "Lift Every Voice And Sing", dubbed the "Negro National Anthem" by the NAACP over 100 years ago, isn't the black national anthem since, you know, white people shouldn't be microaggressing against black culture that way. And if my perception of you is incorrect be assured there is no malicious intent, just kinds funny.

Unfortunately, the regular denizens of this little corner of internet hell require lots of explaining at times. 

Judge me however you like. My conscience is clear. 

I saw an intention to mislead and stoke division and I attempted to point it out.  That's all. 

(07-07-2020, 08:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 08:17 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I think I've spoken on  behalf of blacks more than NYC. I realize you're using the language of the left to point out his hypocrisy, but I would just rather debate this in the market place of ideas. Gotta be honest, the argument thrown out by NYC and Marty is terrible on it's face. I just can't think of anything more offensive than thinking it's ok to intentionally offer any community platitudes so that a different community can maintain power. The sad part is that it's true. I wish they could acknowledge how demeaning it is, though.

First you say my "argument" is terrible, then you say it's true.  

What argument did you think I was making?  I was talking about how easy it is for the establishment to placate people with symbolic gestures that are very close to cost-free.

I should have been more clear. Your argument seemed to be a defense of playing this song because "sometimes you just need to pacify the black community," which I think is a terrible DEFENSE. I think your premise are true, only I would use it to REJECT the idea of playing this song.  We need to address the real issues, one of which is a major misinformation campaign directed towards blacks to encourage them to rise up and overthrow the American system.

I can say one thing with certainty. If the NFL chooses to show players standing for the BNA and kneeling for the National Anthem for more than one preseason game, they can fold their tent. This is not a pro or con argument, simply a statement of fact.

(07-04-2020, 10:02 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 09:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Black people didn't start this stuff.  White people did it.  Democrats told black people they weren't as good, they can't use our water fountains or our hotels or our public bathrooms.  Democrats kept them out of certain jobs, lynched them, discriminated against them, and kept them out of our schools. Then, democrats claimed this could only be rectified with their policies like affirmative action, which ruined the competitive balance at universities and created a higher collegiate drop out rate. Structured welfare in a way that decimated the black family and kept them trapped in poverty. Created crime laws that locked up blacks at an unprecedented rate which lead to fatherless homes that created communities with more crime, violence, drop outs and teen pregnancies. Democrats created abortion to kill their babies. Now, democrats tell them they need to have their own anthem. Their own safe spaces. Their own gardens. In short, democrats are the ones that made black people separate. Democrats segregated them from us. Democrats used the voice of suffering black Americans to raise record amounts of money for Joe Biden. We are the ones at fault.  

Fixed this for you. 

That said, still think people are making too much of this song. It's just called the black national anthem as a nickname. It's not actually a black national anthem. And, I am all for it if people would listen to the words and actually apply them to our lives. It's a song of hope. Unfortunately, it's appeasement, and the focus will be on the division it creates, not the message.

Gonna just ignore the fact that the parties pretty much swapped places in the mid 1900s, eh?

(07-07-2020, 03:55 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 10:02 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Fixed this for you. 

That said, still think people are making too much of this song. It's just called the black national anthem as a nickname. It's not actually a black national anthem. And, I am all for it if people would listen to the words and actually apply them to our lives. It's a song of hope. Unfortunately, it's appeasement, and the focus will be on the division it creates, not the message.

Gonna just ignore the fact that the parties pretty much swapped places in the mid 1900s, eh?

What he quoted me as saying is not what I wrote in my post.  I just want to make that clear.  He edited my post to make it say the opposite of what I actually wrote.

Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune
Something to make us all happy
Do anything take us out of this gloom
Sing a song, play guitar
Make it snappy

(07-07-2020, 03:55 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 10:02 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Fixed this for you. 

Mid 1900's, eh? Prove it.

(07-07-2020, 04:26 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 03:55 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Gonna just ignore the fact that the parties pretty much swapped places in the mid 1900s, eh?

Mid 1900's, eh? Prove it.

SOUTHERN STRRRRRAAAAATTTTEEEEGGGGGYYYYYYYYYY

DDDDIIIIXXXXIIIIIIIEEEECRAAAAATTTTSSSSS

[Image: tenor.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2020, 06:07 PM by NH3. Edit Reason: Screen shot wasn't added. )

(07-02-2020, 07:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lift Every Voice And Sing  was originally a poem written by Jacksonville native James Weldon Johnson. 
His brother set it to song and it was much later was adopted by the NAACP as their unofficial anthem. 

Here's some relevant bio on J.W. Johnson:

Early Life and Career
James Weldon Johnson was born in Jacksonville, Florida, on June 17, 1871, the son of a freeborn Virginian father and a Bahamian mother, and was raised without a sense of limitations amid a society focused on segregating African Americans. After graduating from Atlanta University, Johnson was hired as a principal in a grammar school. While serving in this position, in 1895, he founded The Daily American newspaper. In 1897, Johnson became the first African American to pass the bar exam in Florida.
Not long after, in 1900, James and his brother, John, wrote the song "Lift Every Voice and Sing," which would later become the official anthem of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. (The Johnson brothers would go on to write more than 200 songs for the Broadway musical stage.) Johnson then moved to New York and studied literature at Columbia University, where he met other African American artists.

Here are the lyrics, which you'll find are a hymn of praise and resolution, then turning into a beautiful prayer for divine guidance:

Lift Every Voice and Sing
By James Weldon Johnson

Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us,
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
Bitter the chastening rod,
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
Yet with a steady beat,
Have not our weary feet
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
Out from the gloomy past,
Till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way;
Thou who has by Thy might Led us into the light,
Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee,
Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee;
Shadowed beneath Thy hand,
May we forever stand.
True to our God,
True to our native land. 

Compare the lyrics of the Black Nathional Anthem to the Star Spangleld Banner. I'll bet that most people doesnt know of the additional verses and what they Politically stand for.

I'll Wait.

NH3...

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot_20200707-174144.png (Size: 325.58 KB / Downloads: 79)

"AZANE"

Anyone want to talk about what D. Jackson said, or is it off limits because he is black?

(07-07-2020, 06:23 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Anyone want to talk about what D. Jackson said, or is it off limits because he is black?
Uh he’s an idiot.

What’s your point?

(07-04-2020, 09:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Black people didn't start this stuff.  Some, not all, White people did it.  Some, not all, White people told black people they weren't as good, they can't use our water fountains or our hotels or our public bathrooms.  We Some, not all, kept them out of certain jobs, we Some, not all, enslaved them, we Some, not all, lynched them, we Some, not all, discriminated against them, kept them out of our sports, kept them out of our schools.  We Some, not all, told them they can only marry other black people.  In short, Some, not all, white people are the ones that made black people separate.   We Some, not all, segregated them from us.  We Some, not all, are the ones at fault.  

And so, 100 years ago, they wrote a song and called it their "national anthem" and apparently some of us, at least in this thread, are upset about it.  Well who started all this stuff anyway?  Who was it that told them they were not the same as us?

I say let's play the damn song and be happy about it.

Why are you blaming all white people for everything bad that has happened to every black person over the last 150+ years?  I'm from the north, my ancestors were wearing blue when they marched into battle (you know, the Union...the good guys who were fighting to free the black people).
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(07-07-2020, 05:56 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 07:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lift Every Voice And Sing  was originally a poem written by Jacksonville native James Weldon Johnson. 
His brother set it to song and it was much later was adopted by the NAACP as their unofficial anthem. 

Here's some relevant bio on J.W. Johnson:

Early Life and Career
James Weldon Johnson was born in Jacksonville, Florida, on June 17, 1871, the son of a freeborn Virginian father and a Bahamian mother, and was raised without a sense of limitations amid a society focused on segregating African Americans. After graduating from Atlanta University, Johnson was hired as a principal in a grammar school. While serving in this position, in 1895, he founded The Daily American newspaper. In 1897, Johnson became the first African American to pass the bar exam in Florida.
Not long after, in 1900, James and his brother, John, wrote the song "Lift Every Voice and Sing," which would later become the official anthem of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. (The Johnson brothers would go on to write more than 200 songs for the Broadway musical stage.) Johnson then moved to New York and studied literature at Columbia University, where he met other African American artists.

Here are the lyrics, which you'll find are a hymn of praise and resolution, then turning into a beautiful prayer for divine guidance:

Lift Every Voice and Sing
By James Weldon Johnson

Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us,
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
Bitter the chastening rod,
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
Yet with a steady beat,
Have not our weary feet
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
Out from the gloomy past,
Till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way;
Thou who has by Thy might Led us into the light,
Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee,
Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee;
Shadowed beneath Thy hand,
May we forever stand.
True to our God,
True to our native land. 

Compare the lyrics of the Black Nathional Anthem to the Star Spangleld Banner. I'll bet that most people doesnt know of the additional verses and what they Politically stand for.

I'll Wait.

NH3...

Lol, you're 4 days late with your uber special knowledge for us po' ol'idjits who don't know nuthin'

(07-07-2020, 09:12 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 09:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Black people didn't start this stuff.  Some, not all, White people did it.  Some, not all, White people told black people they weren't as good, they can't use our water fountains or our hotels or our public bathrooms.  We Some, not all, kept them out of certain jobs, we Some, not all, enslaved them, we Some, not all, lynched them, we Some, not all, discriminated against them, kept them out of our sports, kept them out of our schools.  We Some, not all, told them they can only marry other black people.  In short, Some, not all, white people are the ones that made black people separate.   We Some, not all, segregated them from us.  We Some, not all, are the ones at fault.  

And so, 100 years ago, they wrote a song and called it their "national anthem" and apparently some of us, at least in this thread, are upset about it.  Well who started all this stuff anyway?  Who was it that told them they were not the same as us?

Why are you blaming all white people for everything bad that has happened to every black person over the last 150+ years?  I'm from the north, my ancestors were wearing blue when they marched into battle (you know, the Union...the good guys who were fighting to free the black people).

White = guilty., that's why.

(07-07-2020, 09:12 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

You can argue semantics all you want, but m point remains- the idea of separation of the races started with white people who considered black people inferior and refused to integrate with them.  The so-called "black national anthem" was written in 1900, which was a period where white people enforced separation of the races, so we shouldn't be surprised that black people came up with "their own stuff."  They weren't allowed to integrate with white people.