Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fake News pays Big Money

(07-25-2020, 02:09 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 09:08 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Surprised you didn't make the same thread about Fox news fake photos of Seattle.

Or is that good fake news?

Oh no, don't shine a light on their partisan hackery. On the subject, capitalism is great for a lot of things, but it does a great disservice to journalism. It's no longer about reporting a story as it happened. It's about two things. Attracting and maintaining viewership of the partisans and taking political shots at the opposition. The latter works to bolster the former. State run media certainly isn't the answer, so we're stuck what we have. But the people who cling to either FOX News or CNN while declaring the other fake news are comical to me. But partisan hacks always are humorous.  That they can't see it is especially humorous.
I think Fox viewers know what they are getting to be honest.  The same for MSNBC viewers.  Those that think CNN is unbiased however are a different story.

Full disclosure, I watch Fox and Friends First. Because Jillian Mele makes my teeth sweat.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-25-2020, 08:50 AM)copycat Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 02:09 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Oh no, don't shine a light on their partisan hackery. On the subject, capitalism is great for a lot of things, but it does a great disservice to journalism. It's no longer about reporting a story as it happened. It's about two things. Attracting and maintaining viewership of the partisans and taking political shots at the opposition. The latter works to bolster the former. State run media certainly isn't the answer, so we're stuck what we have. But the people who cling to either FOX News or CNN while declaring the other fake news are comical to me. But partisan hacks always are humorous.  That they can't see it is especially humorous.
I think Fox viewers know what they are getting to be honest.  The same for MSNBC viewers.  Those that think CNN is unbiased however are a different story.

Full disclosure, I watch Fox and Friends First. Because Jillian Mele makes my teeth sweat.

Priorities baby, priorities.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-25-2020, 02:09 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 09:08 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Surprised you didn't make the same thread about Fox news fake photos of Seattle.

Or is that good fake news?

Oh no, don't shine a light on their partisan hackery. On the subject, capitalism is great for a lot of things, but it does a great disservice to journalism. It's no longer about reporting a story as it happened. It's about two things. Attracting and maintaining viewership of the partisans and taking political shots at the opposition. The latter works to bolster the former. State run media certainly isn't the answer, so we're stuck what we have. But the people who cling to either FOX News or CNN while declaring the other fake news are comical to me. But partisan hacks always are humorous.  That they can't see it is especially humorous.

Really? You're going to draw a legitimate parallel between some stupid mashed up picture Fox News used on their website against a coordinated attack on a 17-year-old kid which resulted in death threats? I understand, Fox News bad, but if you can't draw a distinction between these two then you need to examine your own understanding of journalism.

(07-25-2020, 08:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Good for the kid.

He should donate most of that money to others who have been slandered by fake news so they can hire legal counsel and really gut the establishment.

I wonder if the fake Indian with the drum got any cash.

The guy is definitely a real Indian.
He's an elder in the Omaha Nation.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-25-2020, 10:05 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 08:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Good for the kid.

He should donate most of that money to others who have been slandered by fake news so they can hire legal counspel and really gut the establishment.

I wonder if the fake Indian with the drum got any cash.

The guy is definitely a real Indian.
He's an elder in the Omaha Nation.

That explains a lot. Indians from that area always say everything is racist against Indians. The Seminole tribe from there were the ones complaining about FSU even though the Florida Seminoles have no problem and actually take pride in the nickname. The issue is they don't get money so they wanted some cash just like always. FSU & the Florida Seminoles have a very strong relationship and work together.

(07-25-2020, 09:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 02:09 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Oh no, don't shine a light on their partisan hackery. On the subject, capitalism is great for a lot of things, but it does a great disservice to journalism. It's no longer about reporting a story as it happened. It's about two things. Attracting and maintaining viewership of the partisans and taking political shots at the opposition. The latter works to bolster the former. State run media certainly isn't the answer, so we're stuck what we have. But the people who cling to either FOX News or CNN while declaring the other fake news are comical to me. But partisan hacks always are humorous.  That they can't see it is especially humorous.

Really? You're going to draw a legitimate parallel between some stupid mashed up picture Fox News used on their website against a coordinated attack on a 17-year-old kid which resulted in death threats? I understand, Fox News bad, but if you can't draw a distinction between these two then you need to examine your own understanding of journalism.

It isn't just that one thing, though. You have to know that.

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2020, 11:04 AM by homebiscuit.)

(07-25-2020, 01:40 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 09:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Really? You're going to draw a legitimate parallel between some stupid mashed up picture Fox News used on their website against a coordinated attack on a 17-year-old kid which resulted in death threats? I understand, Fox News bad, but if you can't draw a distinction between these two then you need to examine your own understanding of journalism.

It isn't just that one thing, though. You have to know that.

Of course, on both sides. And to categorize it like that illustrates the absolute corruption of journalism. Political stunts performed by politicians does not bother me because that is what we expect them to do. Seeing the fourth estate, which is utterly critical for the effective exercise of democracy, become so perverted alarms me. The Sandmann incident exposes just how comfortable they've become as acting political agents rather than arbiters of truth. It's not only infuriating, but dangerous.

(07-26-2020, 11:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 01:40 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: It isn't just that one thing, though. You have to know that.

Of course, on both sides. And to categorize it like that illustrates the absolute corruption of journalism. Political stunts performed by politicians does not bother me because that is what we expect them to do. Seeing the fourth estate, which is utterly critical for the effective exercise of democracy, become so perverted alarms me. The Sandmann incident exposes just how comfortable they've become as acting political agents rather than arbiters of truth. It's not only infuriating, but dangerous.

It's irresponsible, and the fact that they no longer even pretend to be unbiased is alarming.  That the public no longer even holds then remotely accountable leaves me speechless.

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We need to do something about the current state of media. I have thought about it for a while, and I still don't have a great solution.

The press was much more biased between reconstruction and world War II than it is now.
Much more.
Consider that the major newspaper in Tallahassee is the Tallahassee Democrat. The name wasn't intended as a joke, nor generic support for democracy. Those guys were political partisans. They all were.
There were two differences.
One was, nobody was really claiming to be objective.
The other was, local personalities, issues, and favorite sons dominated most of these publications. The president, and the speaker of the house, did not figure as prominently.

(07-26-2020, 07:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: The press was much more biased between reconstruction and world War II than it is now.
Much more.
Consider that the major newspaper in Tallahassee is the Tallahassee Democrat. The name wasn't intended as a joke, nor generic support for democracy. Those guys were political partisans. They all were.
The other was, local personalities, issues, and favorite sons dominated most of these publications. The president, and the speaker of the house, did not figure as prominently.

Yep, life was much better when the people of Florida didn't have to hear about what nonsense was going on in the other states.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-26-2020, 07:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: The press was much more biased between reconstruction and world War II than it is now.
Much more.

Do you really believe that tripe?

(07-26-2020, 06:06 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: We need to do something about the current state of media. I have thought about it for a while, and I still don't have a great solution.

There isn't one. There are too many people who enjoy the confirmation bias. Unbiased news sources do exist, though. A cable TV/internet provider in my area has its own news station and internet site. They are stridently nonpartisan, likely because they don't want risk reducing their customer base.

(07-26-2020, 08:48 PM)copycat Wrote:
Much more.

Do you really believe that tripe?

Which part do you not believe?