Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DL Al Woods Opts Out of 2020 Season

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020, 09:34 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

(08-01-2020, 07:31 PM)IJackCity Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 01:10 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: It seems like Jason LaCanfora and other bozos in the sports media are rooting for this, too. If it happens, I hope they get laid off as a result of no one clicking their articles about lacrosse and ping pong tournaments. Should give them a dose of reality.

think about what you just said. Sports media people aren't rooting for seasons not to happen because it'll cripple their industry and their pay, they're just being realistic

I did. I have people in my industry (college academia) who pushed to eliminate on campus classes in the name of pandemic politics. It’s come back to bite them as layoffs have started. This is what happens when the inmates run the asylum.

(08-01-2020, 09:09 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 07:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: think about what you just said. Sports media people aren't rooting for seasons not to happen because it'll cripple their industry and their pay, they're just being realistic

It really does seem like some of them are. It's one thing to be realistic, it's another thing to be overwhelming negative and pessimistic and many of the sports media, at least those who constantly post on Twitter fall into that category. They are constantly suggesting that it will be almost impossible to have sports, even though sports are getting back into action. (Including some that have been successfully going on/even completed like Women's soccer and the Basketball tournament.)

They are constantly hanging onto any bit of negative information they can regarding this virus and trying to use that say why they think sports won't happen. There is something perverse about the way they act, especially considering their jobs literally depend on sports happening. Even some other people in sports media (like Kyle Brandt and others) have pointed out their behavior. 

If sports like football are cancelled some of these people (maybe a lot) will be laid off. And they will go on Twitter complaining about it and probably blaming sports/their bosses, even though they have constantly been pounding the "Sports should be cancelled" drum. And some if not many of them probably won't find work anytime soon. ESPN has constantly been firing/laying people off the past few years and people don't read things like newspapers like they used to. 

They need to be careful on what they wish for because things will get very real for them, if NFL/MLB is cancelled and some of these people in the sports media will be laid off long term. It's easy to dump on sports and all but hope for cancellation when there's still hope for sports to begin continue. But if they are really cancelled, I think that a lot of the people in the media are really going to get big dose of reality. They are going to find out that rooting against their jobs and constantly being negative on Twitter is not going to pay off.

Yes, lots of people in many sectors are counter intuitive pessimists with this pandemic - hanging onto every bit of negative news as you well said. 

After November, it will drop out of the news cycle when it’s no longer viable as a weapon (for either party).
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020, 10:37 PM by JackCity.)

(08-01-2020, 09:29 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 07:31 PM)IJackCity Wrote: think about what you just said. Sports media people aren't rooting for seasons not to happen because it'll cripple their industry and their pay, they're just being realistic

I did. I have people in my industry (college academia) who pushed to eliminate on campus classes in the name of pandemic politics. It’s come back to bite them as layoffs have started. This is what happens when the inmates run the asylum.

(08-01-2020, 09:09 PM)mal234 Wrote: It really does seem like some of them are. It's one thing to be realistic, it's another thing to be overwhelming negative and pessimistic and many of the sports media, at least those who constantly post on Twitter fall into that category. They are constantly suggesting that it will be almost impossible to have sports, even though sports are getting back into action. (Including some that have been successfully going on/even completed like Women's soccer and the Basketball tournament.)

They are constantly hanging onto any bit of negative information they can regarding this virus and trying to use that say why they think sports won't happen. There is something perverse about the way they act, especially considering their jobs literally depend on sports happening. Even some other people in sports media (like Kyle Brandt and others) have pointed out their behavior. 

If sports like football are cancelled some of these people (maybe a lot) will be laid off. And they will go on Twitter complaining about it and probably blaming sports/their bosses, even though they have constantly been pounding the "Sports should be cancelled" drum. And some if not many of them probably won't find work anytime soon. ESPN has constantly been firing/laying people off the past few years and people don't read things like newspapers like they used to. 

They need to be careful on what they wish for because things will get very real for them, if NFL/MLB is cancelled and some of these people in the sports media will be laid off long term. It's easy to dump on sports and all but hope for cancellation when there's still hope for sports to begin continue. But if they are really cancelled, I think that a lot of the people in the media are really going to get big dose of reality. They are going to find out that rooting against their jobs and constantly being negative on Twitter is not going to pay off.

Yes, lots of people in many sectors are counter intuitive pessimists with this pandemic - hanging onto every bit of negative news as you well said. 

After November, it will drop out of the news cycle when it’s no longer viable as a weapon (for either party).

you're confusing public safety with rooting for a virus

(08-01-2020, 09:09 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 07:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: think about what you just said. Sports media people aren't rooting for seasons not to happen because it'll cripple their industry and their pay, they're just being realistic

It really does seem like some of them are. It's one thing to be realistic, it's another thing to be overwhelming negative and pessimistic and many of the sports media, at least those who constantly post on Twitter fall into that category. They are constantly suggesting that it will be almost impossible to have sports, even though sports are getting back into action. (Including some that have been successfully going on/even completed like Women's soccer and the Basketball tournament.)

Baseball is close to being cancelled if another out break or two happens. 

College football season most likely is not going to happen for multiple if not all conferences 

The NFL is probably not going to last past a few weeks at most. 

You are A) misplacing the impact of a media member being skeptical they can happen safely and B) that they want the seasons cancelled for political reasons, when in reality it's mostly a player safety argument with how poor some of the sports have prepared for it (NFL, college football)

How poor they have prepared for ir. C'mon man it was basically a wait and see situation that nobody really knew what was going to happen. Nobody in the NFL or cfb had a crystal ball. I believe they are doing the best reasonably expectations allow. About the only other thing they could have done is lock them up in isolation for the duration of the season and that ain't happening.

Some of the posts with the blame game being put on the way things are prepared for kill me. How do you prepare for unknown variables. Get real.

Btw 2020 sux.

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2020, 01:27 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

(08-01-2020, 10:35 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 09:29 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: I did. I have people in my industry (college academia) who pushed to eliminate on campus classes in the name of pandemic politics. It’s come back to bite them as layoffs have started. This is what happens when the inmates run the asylum.

you're confusing public safety with rooting for a virus

(08-01-2020, 09:09 PM)mal234 Wrote: It really does seem like some of them are. It's one thing to be realistic, it's another thing to be overwhelming negative and pessimistic and many of the sports media, at least those who constantly post on Twitter fall into that category. They are constantly suggesting that it will be almost impossible to have sports, even though sports are getting back into action. (Including some that have been successfully going on/even completed like Women's soccer and the Basketball tournament.)

College football season most likely is not going to happen for multiple if not all conferences 

You are A) misplacing the impact of a media member being skeptical they can happen safely and B) that they want the seasons cancelled for political reasons, when in reality it's mostly a player safety argument with how poor some of the sports have prepared for it (NFL, college football)

The public safety argument is comical and not very applicable. These aren’t geriatric athletes who bunk in a nursing home. The mortality rate is very low for people under 50 without preexisting conditions. Like Belichik (sp) said, every player’s personal situation is different. As a relative percentage, very few players are opting out because of a bad flu.

People can make their own choices about going out in public, just as people make choices about driving their cars every day (greater chance of dying or being seriously hurt). But don’t rain on everyone else’s parade just because you’re more risk averse than most Americans. Just eat your stale popcorn and watch your 24/7 pandemic newsfeed in the comfort of your own monastery, mmmkay?
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(08-02-2020, 01:23 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 10:35 PM)JackCity Wrote: you're confusing public safety with rooting for a virus

The public safety argument is comical and not very applicable. These aren’t geriatric athletes who bunk in a nursing home. The mortality rate is very low for people under 50 without preexisting conditions. Like Belichik (sp) said, every player’s personal situation is different. As a relative percentage, very few players are opting out because of a bad flu.

People can make their own choices about going out in public, just as people make choices about driving their cars every day (greater chance of dying or being seriously hurt). But don’t rain on everyone else’s parade just because you’re more risk averse than most Americans. Just eat your stale popcorn and watch your 24/7 pandemic newsfeed in the comfort of your own monastery, mmmkay?

It's actually very applicable because the flu isn't as Infectious and doesn't have potentially have long term effects as bad as covid has, which is why athletes are opting out of playing. There's a pitcher who isn't playing right now from a heart issue he developed from covid. 

I'm not raining on any parade, just telling you what's happening and what's likely to happen. But it is very telling you would take it personally and get triggered over it.

Between COVID, concussions, and politics, we may very well be seeing the end of the NFL.  I am not renewing my NFL Sunday ticket subscription and I know many others who are "opting out" of paying the ridiculous fees as well.  As more players choose to opt out, it's only a matter of time before the season is over.

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2020, 06:22 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

(08-02-2020, 02:02 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 01:23 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: The public safety argument is comical and not very applicable. These aren’t geriatric athletes who bunk in a nursing home. The mortality rate is very low for people under 50 without preexisting conditions. Like Belichik (sp) said, every player’s personal situation is different. As a relative percentage, very few players are opting out because of a bad flu.

It's actually very applicable because the flu isn't as Infectious and doesn't have potentially have long term effects as bad as covid has, which is why athletes are opting out of playing. There's a pitcher who isn't playing right now from a heart issue he developed from covid. 

I'm not raining on any parade, just telling you what's happening and what's likely to happen. But it is very telling you would take it personally and get triggered over it.

You just proved my point. One pitcher opted out because of a preexisting condition. That's not a high percentage, and I'm including all the other baseball players who've opted out. Even if it's infectious, the mortality rate is super low, particularly among young, healthy adults such as athletes. This is not worth shutting down the economy over. There is more collateral damage being done to people's lives overall, and I'm not talking about the lack of sports viewing opportunities. I'm talking suicides, closures of family businesses, domestic violence spiking during quarantines, kids being kept out of school, etc. The "cure" is worse than the virus, as a chorus of reasonable people is saying.

(08-02-2020, 03:43 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Between COVID, concussions, and politics, we may very well be seeing the end of the NFL.  I am not renewing my NFL Sunday ticket subscription and I know many others who are "opting out" of paying the ridiculous fees as well.  As more players choose to opt out, it's only a matter of time before the season is over.

The glory days of finagling bar tenders to search for Jags games appear to be over. I cut my cable long ago, but I usually tried to catch the Jags with some wings to comfort me when the games are almost over in the first quarter. 

Boy, the NFL will sure miss me hahah. But I do think I need to stop clicking articles on sports websites full of negative Nancys. Espn needs to die a faster death than the New York Times.

(08-02-2020, 06:17 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 02:02 PM)JackCity Wrote: It's actually very applicable because the flu isn't as Infectious and doesn't have potentially have long term effects as bad as covid has, which is why athletes are opting out of playing. There's a pitcher who isn't playing right now from a heart issue he developed from covid. 

You just proved my point. One pitcher opted out because of a preexisting condition. That's not a high percentage, and I'm including all the other baseball players who've opted out. Even if it's infectious, the mortality rate is super low, particularly among young, healthy adults such as athletes. This is not worth shutting down the economy over. There is more collateral damage being done to people's lives overall, and I'm not talking about the lack of sports viewing opportunities. I'm talking suicides, closures of family businesses, domestic violence spiking during quarantines, kids being kept out of school, etc. The "cure" is worse than the virus, as a chorus of reasonable people is saying.

no he got it after covid infection. The big guys in the NFL are high risk for covid and as we have seen the after effects can last months (von miller said he took months to recover). Even if you don't die from it reduced lung or heart ability in a pro athlete can end their career, losing them millions, which is why guys are opting out + can have high risk family at home.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2020, 11:40 AM by JackCity.)

just to add to that , healthy young football players have still had terrible covid cases that will set them back a year or two

https://twitter.com/moore_travez/status/...6726788096

https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1290372030085451776

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2020, 10:12 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

(08-04-2020, 11:40 AM)JackCity Wrote: just to add to that , healthy young football players have still had terrible covid cases that will set them back a year or two

Say what? Where do you get set back a year or two from? You're a pessimism addict. Go find a 12-step program, bro. 

The average adult male, not just an athlete, has no trouble gaining back 30 pounds in a matter of months, not years. I lost 20 pounds the past few months, but I'm quickly regaining it because restaurants have reopened. The only good thing about the lockdown was that it kept me away from restaurant food a few months. Maybe it added a few months to my life.

So long 2020
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Not having Woods in the line up is an serious setback. We'll now have to rely on the rookie more than initially anticipated.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Without Woods now on my 53 roster prediction, Dontavius Russell slides in as the 5th DT. Davon Hamilton and Abry Jones are the rotation for the nose. I hope they look at Damon "Snacks" Harrison.

Al Woods will be well rested for the 2021 Jaguars playoff push.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(08-05-2020, 12:52 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Al Woods will be well rested for the 2021 Jaguars playoff push.

Or, the Jags will cut him before 2021 with little dead cap money and draft another interior lineman to develop because Hamilton will be entrenched as the starter. He and Taven Bryan will be the thunder and lightning inside to free up lightning and lighting (Allen and Chaisson) outside. OK, I'll take off my teal-colored glasses now. Smile

(08-04-2020, 09:57 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 11:40 AM)JackCity Wrote: just to add to that , healthy young football players have still had terrible covid cases that will set them back a year or two

Say what? Where do you get set back a year or two from? You're a pessimism addict. Go find a 12-step program, bro. 

The average adult male, not just an athlete, has no trouble gaining back 30 pounds in a matter of months, not years. I lost 20 pounds the past few months, but I'm quickly regaining it because restaurants have reopened. The only good thing about the lockdown was that it kept me away from restaurant food a few months. Maybe it added a few months to my life.

30 lbs is an entire off season + of weight training for high level college players, even aside from the other damage covid can cause. Especially with body fat % so low. a DE having to regain 30lbs over the course of a few months effectively ruins their upcoming season. 

Not that i'd expect you to understand that

One of the best recruits from his class

https://twitter.com/MattatTheState/statu...10469?s=19

(08-05-2020, 03:20 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 12:52 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Al Woods will be well rested for the 2021 Jaguars playoff push.

Or, the Jags will cut him before 2021 with little dead cap money and draft another interior lineman to develop because Hamilton will be entrenched as the starter. He and Taven Bryan will be the thunder and lightning inside to free up lightning and lighting (Allen and Chaisson) outside. OK, I'll take off my teal-colored glasses now. Smile

Hey, i like those teal colored glasses did you jump in the hot tub time machine with them.  Please say it is so.

(08-04-2020, 09:57 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Adding 30lbs of lean muscle mass is a little different than you and I packing our beer gut back on.

(08-05-2020, 03:20 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

No, No, No keep them on. Those lightening strikes can sometimes be blinding. Safety First. IJS

NH3...
"AZANE"