Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to surprise in 2020?

Minshew is a franchise QB. He led the nation in passing yards as a senior. Then he started his career off with 13-13 up in Kansas City. He should have been the rookie of the year. He threw 21 TDs whilst missing 4 games.

Shenault, Chark, Westbrook and Conley will be a good combo of weapons. Please can Oliver be the guy he was in college. My fingers are crossed. Fournette can wear them down when we have the lead.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-07-2020, 04:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 09:47 AM)JackCity Wrote: More so depends on the pass defense than run. Going from a top 5 pressure unit to bottom 10 will require some high level scheming and play at the back end, which I don't think Wash or the DBs will be capable of

Meh, im much more concerned with our run D than our pass rush.  There is a reason we took a NT in the 3rd though and I still think we sign a vet whether it be snacks or bring back Darius.  We wont be a bottom 10 pass rush unit with Allen not to mention we just draft Chaisson and Yan is still on the team until he isnt.  Not to metion Smoot had his best season last year and Bryan just turned 24 had his potential is through the roof.

one consistent source of pressure usually leads to a bad pass rushing unit. Pass defense has a way bigger correlation to wins and losses than run defense, and the run defense should naturally be better any way. 

It also wouldn't be a surprise if both aspects were below average with how horrible the coaching is

#22 against the Rush and #31 against the Pass. The only reason we ranked better against the pass was because we got behind in the 1st half so badly teams could just continue to run against us at a 5.1 yards per carry rate.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/...fense/2019

https://www.jaguars.com/team/stats/

If Yannick returns and plays the same as we're used to our pass rush could be better than average. Our run defense and secondary are going to be bottom 5 units though. It's going to be a rough year defensively. I do agree we could surprise offensively.

(08-08-2020, 08:51 PM)Upper Wrote: If Yannick returns and plays the same as we're used to our pass rush could be better than average. Our run defense and secondary are going to be bottom 5 units though. It's going to be a rough year defensively. I do agree we could surprise offensively.

At this point I’m mainly just hoping for some excitement, and I feel like there’s a good chance we might get it. Like you say, the offense has potential to actually be pretty decent... we have a range of weapons and pretty good depth all over. On the other hand I agree the defense could be disastrous, the interior of the line, the CBs, the safeties... all these position groups are currently average at the very best. If we were to lose any of the starters at those positions we would be beyond screwed.

So a potentially good offense and a potentially [BLEEP] defense could well add up to a lot of shootouts this year... which would be fun.

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2020, 11:58 AM by mal234.)

Dave Caldwell met with the media today and talked some about the team. Here are some things he talked about. He says that he doesn't think that the Jags youth will really work against them. He says he believes that the coaches can develop the young players on this team. He also praised Gardner and said he came to camp in great shape and that he is really attacking the new offense. Caldwell also says he is impressed by Laviska Shenault and praises his talent: Here are some of his comments mentioned by reporter Eugene Frenette.

https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...4333423616

https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...5898200064

ETA: Cam Robinson is also meeting with the media today. He mentioned that Gardner is being more assertive this second year and has command of the offense. Cam also mentioned that the difference between his health this year and last year is like night and day. (Due to him coming off of the torn ACL injury the previous season).

https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/12...7034528768

Here's one thing to consider for everyone who thinks we'll basically be trash this year (winning only 3 games or so).

Did anyone expect us to be good in 2017 after the season we had in 2016? Like really 4th place in AFCS, 3 win team (4th worst in points allowed in AFC)....

Just sayin'.... we can look at the roster in a vacuum and look at the schedule and pretend to know but we really don't. I don't see any reason we can't be about a .500 club this year.
Honestly with this crazy off season and the unpredictability of rosters and health and such for all teams in this Covid season anything is possible.

(08-11-2020, 12:18 PM)Kane Wrote: Here's one thing to consider for everyone who thinks we'll basically be trash this year (winning only 3 games or so).

Did anyone expect us to be good in 2017 after the season we had in 2016? Like really 4th place in AFCS, 3 win team (4th worst in points allowed in AFC)....

Just sayin'.... we can look at the roster in a vacuum and look at the schedule and pretend to know but we really don't. I don't see any reason we can't be about a .500 club this year.
Honestly with this crazy off season and the unpredictability of rosters and health and such for all teams in this Covid season anything is possible.

yeah i think everyone is aware outlier years are possible. just not very likely so they don't serve much purpose to analyse a teams upcoming season

Honestly it all hinges on MInshew and Gruden. If MInshew improves we'll have a winning season. If he doesn't, we won't.

(08-11-2020, 05:22 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 12:18 PM)Kane Wrote: Here's one thing to consider for everyone who thinks we'll basically be trash this year (winning only 3 games or so).

yeah i think everyone is aware outlier years are possible. just not very likely so they don't serve much purpose to analyse a teams upcoming season

My point is we sit here and analyze behind our computer screens not really knowing jack about diddly.

[Image: 4b87on.jpg]

(08-12-2020, 11:12 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 05:22 PM)JackCity Wrote: yeah i think everyone is aware outlier years are possible. just not very likely so they don't serve much purpose to analyse a teams upcoming season

My point is we sit here and analyze behind our computer screens not really knowing jack about diddly.

Yes that's how fans discuss sports

(08-12-2020, 11:20 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: [Image: 4b87on.jpg]

While accurate, Minshew was as good or better than the other rookie QBs.  It all depends on how he does this year IMO.

(08-12-2020, 11:12 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 05:22 PM)JackCity Wrote: yeah i think everyone is aware outlier years are possible. just not very likely so they don't serve much purpose to analyse a teams upcoming season

This is about is true as it gets. While it's fun to pontificate, it's also fun to see how seriously people take themselves with this stuff.

(08-12-2020, 01:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 11:12 AM)Kane Wrote: My point is we sit here and analyze behind our computer screens not really knowing jack about diddly.

Yes that's how fans discuss sports

lulz, alright then...

So we can be good next year. Thanks.

(08-13-2020, 10:52 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 01:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yes that's how fans discuss sports

lulz, alright then...

yeah thats implied in the discussion at hand. 1-32 teams can in theory be good, just some of them aren't very likely. We are one of those

(08-13-2020, 10:59 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 10:52 AM)Kane Wrote: lulz, alright then...

yeah thats implied in the discussion at hand. 1-32 teams can in theory be good, just some of them aren't very likely. We are one of those

But "aren't very likely" is really just your very useless opinion?

Got it.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2020, 03:43 PM by JackCity.)

(08-13-2020, 03:33 PM)Kane Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 10:59 AM)JackCity Wrote: yeah thats implied in the discussion at hand. 1-32 teams can in theory be good, just some of them aren't very likely. We are one of those

But "aren't very likely" is really just your very useless opinion?

Got it
An opinion shared by a far greater number than the alternative and backed by a plethora of statistics, film and proprietary data. 
so yeah.

We might be good, just more likely that we are not. Also if my opinions are useless then I'm not sure what unit of measurement yours in would register in.

You make some fair points. Going into 2017 I had zero expectations as I had no idea what Bortles would show up. So I do agree that a team can have a great year when not expected and you usually see at least one surprise team a year.

I will also say my pessimistic assessment was before the whole Covid situation and this has added such a wildcard question mark over the season. So many things in the air to even get on the field then 16 weeks more of keeping that working. Preseason has been so different. Everyone is in the same boat but I'm expecting a lot of teams to struggle early. What's the over/under on flags for the first snap of the season?!

I have faith in Minshew, Chark and Dede. Hopefully Fournette can keep pushing on and Allen and a few other young players progress. I just have no faith that Marrone and Wash can do that and we were so bad that second half of the season, I just dont see them improving players and perfecting systems.

I think teams like us, with lots of new players and one or more new coordinators, will struggle this year, because of not having a preseason. I think veteran teams with established QBs and established coaches, who can have some continuity from last season, will do a lot better.