Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Browsers and VPN

For years Chrome has been my browser of choice because it's quick and simple, but lately I've been using Microsoft Edge and I'm really impressed. Not only is it quick but its interface and options seem a little more user friendly and intuitive. It has pretty much become my default browser. For other PC users, what browser is your preference?

A question for the more advanced computer users out there: Do you consider using a VPN essential, or at least important for security? I can't remember the last time I used my laptop on an open Wifi so I'm not sure if it's even needed.
I've done a little research and Nord VPN seems to be about the most user friendly and allowable of streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Plus they have a special going now for a 3 year subscription for $125.00. Should I consider it?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-08-2020, 10:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: For years Chrome has been my browser of choice because it's quick and simple, but lately I've been using Microsoft Edge and I'm really impressed. Not only is it quick but its interface and options seem a little more user friendly and intuitive. It has pretty much become my default browser. For other PC users, what browser is your preference?

A question for the more advanced computer users out there: Do you consider using a VPN essential, or at least important for security? I can't remember the last time I used my laptop on an open Wifi so I'm not sure if it's even needed.
I've done a little research and Nord VPN seems to be about the most user friendly and allowable of streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Plus they have a special going now for a 3 year subscription for $125.00. Should I consider it?

That's a good deal for 3 years. Do they offer a trial period, so you can see if it affects performance?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020, 06:01 PM by homebiscuit.)

(08-08-2020, 03:14 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 10:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: For years Chrome has been my browser of choice because it's quick and simple, but lately I've been using Microsoft Edge and I'm really impressed. Not only is it quick but its interface and options seem a little more user friendly and intuitive. It has pretty much become my default browser. For other PC users, what browser is your preference?

That's a good deal for 3 years. Do they offer a trial period, so you can see if it affects performance?

They offer a 30 day money back guarantee. It seems worth it. My main concern is compatibility with streaming services. I don’t want to have to go through a bunch of settings before I watch Netflix or use my chrome cast. I’m sure it’s not that difficult. My TV is an early version of “smart”, it still needs a little help.

I prefer Duckduckgo for privacy as my browser.

I use Hide My [BLEEP] for a VPN but that's mostly because they have a Jacksonville location.

More is decent too.

The good thing about Nord is you can also use it on your phones and tablets so if you're out and about and need to get online you're protected. I've never had an issue with Nord and streaming anything. There are government sites and apps that won't allow you on if you have Nord on, or have Cybersec turned on, but there is a split tunneling option that allows you to check those apps and sites so you can still use them.

(08-09-2020, 10:02 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

The good thing about Nord is you can also use it on your phones and tablets so if you're out and about and need to get online you're protected. I've never had an issue with Nord and streaming anything. There are government sites and apps that won't allow you on if you have Nord on, or have Cybersec turned on, but there is a split tunneling option that allows you to check those apps and sites so you can still use them.

I use Express VPN, which can also be used on phones and tablets. The only issue I encounter is frequently used web sites that store IP addresses and don't recognize mine when I'm running the VPN. I either have to answer security questions or get an confirmation code via email or text message.
- Bob Marley

(08-09-2020, 10:30 AM)rollerjag Wrote: I use Express VPN, which can also be used on phones and tablets. The only issue I encounter is frequently used web sites that store IP addresses and don't recognize mine when I'm running the VPN. I either have to answer security questions or get an confirmation code via email or text message.

I also use express vpn, it is more expensive than the others, but is 100% reliable. Either them or Nord seem to be trusted and worth the price. I don't have any issues streaming and if you connect to a server that is blocked (it can happen from time to time) you can generally connect to a different server. For streaming, I generally will disconnect the VPN or do split tunneling so that it doesn't go through.

You can also setup on your router so that all devices are secured, but they can cause some problems. Speed is ok, but it won't match your regular speed if you have over 100MB. I can stream 4k so they are good enough.

I mainly use it on my devices when I travel, which used to be a lot, so I was on hotel wifi a lot.

I have Nord VPN now and was able to sign into Netflix with no problem. From what you folks are saying, there might be issues from time to time but nothing that can't be overcome by going into the settings.

Using SF's lead, DuckDuckGo is now my default search engine. However, I can say with certainty it doesn't give the depth of results that Google can. If needed, it can always be accessed. I'm trying to get away from Google. While handy, it seems to be getting a little...creepy. It gives me ad popups for things that I swear I've never searched for but was thinking about. No, I don't think it can read my mind, but it seems to be building quite the algorithm of my preferences. That's a little too Big Brotherish for me.

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020, 06:20 PM by p_rushing.)

(08-09-2020, 05:54 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have Nord VPN now and was able to sign into Netflix with no problem. From what you folks are saying, there might be issues from time to time but nothing that can't be overcome by going into the settings.

Using SF's lead, DuckDuckGo is now my default search engine. However, I can say with certainty it doesn't give the depth of results that Google can. If needed, it can always be accessed. I'm trying to get away from Google. While handy, it seems to be getting a little...creepy. It gives me ad popups for things that I swear I've never searched for but was thinking about. No, I don't think it can read my mind, but it seems to be building quite the algorithm of my preferences. That's a little too Big Brotherish for me.

That's because if you look at things anywhere online, google can find out from your browser, ip address, etc. Using the VPN, clearing browser data when you close it, not logging in when searching, etc will help stop it. Some stuff isn't worth it to fight because websites won't work if you don't allow some things, but just make sure you have do not track on, clear everything or use private browsing. The VPN will help hide your searching as long as you don't sign in, but it's still stored in the browser.

If you are really worried you can go to the settings and tell it to kill all traffic if the VPN isn't connected. That's fine for most people unless you are really worried and need to hide what you are doing.

Also make sure you are using an ad blocker and privacy tool to block those trackers. I use Firefox with ublock and privacy badger.

(08-09-2020, 05:54 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have Nord VPN now and was able to sign into Netflix with no problem. From what you folks are saying, there might be issues from time to time but nothing that can't be overcome by going into the settings.

Yeah the search results aren't quite up to par but I gladly live with it.

Have you ever had conversations about a particular item only to see an ad for said item pop up on your phone?
- Bob Marley

(08-09-2020, 09:34 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

Have you ever had conversations about a particular item only to see an ad for said item pop up on your phone?

I am utterly convinced that it is listening. As a matter of fact, I proved it to my coworkers who thought I was crazy. I forget what the random item was, but to prove it happens I mentioned the item in conversations with them through the day. Lo and behold, what popup ad appeared the next day?

This is why I've used DDG for my search engine for several years now. Too many "coincidences" of ads showing up like you said. If I need more/better search results I'll use google but that's not often.

I want to run Nord through my router but as was already mentioned, it could get inconvenient. I think they sell routers though.

(08-09-2020, 06:18 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

That's because if you look at things anywhere online, google can find out from your browser, ip address, etc. Using the VPN, clearing browser data when you close it, not logging in when searching, etc will help stop it. Some stuff isn't worth it to fight because websites won't work if you don't allow some things, but just make sure you have do not track on, clear everything or use private browsing. The VPN will help hide your searching as long as you don't sign in, but it's still stored in the browser.

If you are really worried you can go to the settings and tell it to kill all traffic if the VPN isn't connected. That's fine for most people unless you are really worried and need to hide what you are doing.

Also make sure you are using an ad blocker and privacy tool to block those trackers. I use Firefox with ublock and privacy badger.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into them.

Nord VPN and Brave Browser here.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(08-09-2020, 09:34 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

My funny story regarding that is one day I was going through some old guitar magazines and found a piece of music that looked interesting to play. I had never heard the piece before nor had I heard of the musician that played it. I learned the piece and worked it up how I thought it should sound, then went to youtube to seach for it to see how close I was. I got the first two letters of the guy's first name and the rest populated, including the song title. At that point, I assumed I nailed it.

I only use a VPN to pirate cable television and to create accounts on banned... never mind the second part