Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Another jump to conclusions without all the facts...

Look I get it, you guys don’t think you’re racist because you deem yourselves morally superior and intellectually you consider these “thugs” are morons. If you don’t see how that’s a racist way of thinking then it’s pointless for us to have a discourse. 

I honestly can’t believe how you guys are treating human life. Where is your sense of empathy at all? This isn’t about repub vs dem. This is human to human , American to American. 

I don’t want cops killing black people because they are suspicious or scared of something. That shouldn’t be a controversial view. 

Cops have a lot of power therefore they have a responsibility to diffuse situation. 

I like cops, I like the idea of law enforcement, I don’t like the idea that a cop can kill an innocent human being. Why does this spark outrage within you all?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-25-2020, 03:48 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Look I get it, you guys don’t think you’re racist because you deem yourselves morally superior and intellectually you consider these “thugs” are morons. If you don’t see how that’s a racist way of thinking then it’s pointless for us to have a discourse. 

I honestly can’t believe how you guys are treating human life. Where is your sense of empathy at all? This isn’t about repub vs dem. This is human to human , American to American. 

I don’t want cops killing black people because they are suspicious or scared of something. That shouldn’t be a controversial view. 

Cops have a lot of power therefore they have a responsibility to diffuse situation. 

I like cops, I like the idea of law enforcement, I don’t like the idea that a cop can kill an innocent human being. Why does this spark outrage within you all?

The old 'agree with me or you're a racist' argument. Gotcha.

(08-25-2020, 03:48 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Look I get it, you guys don’t think you’re racist because you deem yourselves morally superior and intellectually you consider these “thugs” are morons. If you don’t see how that’s a racist way of thinking then it’s pointless for us to have a discourse. 

Please, do expound. What has been written in this thread that you consider " Outrage "? I'm curious.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

"Innocent."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 04:04 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

Once again..

Brief education on the law.

In order to use deadly force you don't need proof of a danger to your lives or others - all that is required is that you think there is a danger.

And reaching into a car while being screamed at to get on the ground is, in fact, legally, a danger to lives.

Pretty simple. Comply.

Oh and if that were a white man he would have been shot too.

So you can take that racist charge and... well... whatever. Just don't throw it at us.

Learn the law before you comment, man. Or watch the video that has been posted here about his long history of resisting arrest and battery... this was a criminal, not an innocent man.

WOW.

The suspect is a felon with a long rap sheet that includes an active arrest warrant for felony crimes.  I call that suspect a "thug" regardless of race or skin color.

99% of the time when a police officer chooses to shoot a suspect it's for a good reason.  It doesn't matter the skin color or race of the suspect.  In this case from what is known, it appears that the officer made the correct choice.

Police officers have the responsibility to uphold and enforce the law.  Nothing more, nothing less.

In this case the police officers didn't kill anybody and the suspect was certainly (in my opinion) not an "innocent human being".  Before Mikesez chimes in, yes technically the suspect is innocent until proven guilty.  However, the few facts that are known about this case seem to point to the suspect being "not so innocent".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 04:10 PM by mikesez.)

(08-25-2020, 03:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

The old 'agree with me or you're a racist' argument. Gotcha.

That's not what he said.  He wants you to have empathy with the victim and his family.  But if you pre-judge each of these new situations as (1) "I'm too good and smart to ever be in that situation" and (2) "He had it coming, that thug moron", it's hard for you to have empathy.  If you don't see any potential for you to end up like the victim, then you won't care.  If you do, you will care.  Now, maybe (1) and (2) are true in this particular case.  But everyone commenting on this thread so far with these sentiments is doing so without proof.  It's based on their assumptions.  And where do such assumptions and prejudices come from?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 04:11 PM by p_rushing.)

Try this. Before you call someone racist, try removing race from your statement. Racist label people by race, it is a pattern by the left.

Conservatives truly don't see a black person and label them as a criminal. In this situation, they see a person fight the cops and get up off the ground, continue to walk away from the cops, ignore their instructions, and reach into a car where cops cannot see. This person is a criminal, no matter what his skin color is and a conservative would say the same thing no matter what color his skin is.

On your cops being suspicious of black people, it really isn't the case. Cops are suspicious of criminals. They get called for crimes, they are suspicious of the people they interact with because those people are criminals. If black people want to change the statistics on crime, it will help as cops won't get called to the same areas day after day. If you are a cop getting called to the same area day after day, you know who are the criminals. It isn't a race issue, it is a crime and culture issue that allows the criminals to be normal.

(08-25-2020, 04:10 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 03:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The old 'agree with me or you're a racist' argument. Gotcha.

That's not what he said.  He wants you to have empathy with the victim and his family.  But if you pre-judge each of these new situations as (1) "I'm too good and smart to ever be in that situation" and (2) "He had it coming, that thug moron", it's hard for you to have empathy.  If you don't see any potential for you to end up like the victim, then you won't care.  If you do, you will care.  Now, maybe (1) and (2) are true in this particular case.  But everyone commenting on this thread so far with these sentiments is doing so without proof.  It's based on their assumptions.  And where do such assumptions and prejudices come from?

He injected accusations of racism into a discussion where race was not mentioned.

(08-25-2020, 04:10 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 03:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The old 'agree with me or you're a racist' argument. Gotcha.

What assumptions are being made. There is a video of the full attempted arrest. The facts also show he had an active arrest warrant for sexual abuse, domestic violence, and whatever else. If that isn't a criminal, I don't know what is. Empathy would be justified if he complied with the instructions and the cops shot him while he was laying on the ground handcuffed. There should be no empathy is you fight the cops, ignore them, and reach for a potential weapon. If you, I, etc do that we are getting shot.

(08-25-2020, 04:17 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 04:10 PM)mikesez Wrote: That's not what he said.  He wants you to have empathy with the victim and his family.  But if you pre-judge each of these new situations as (1) "I'm too good and smart to ever be in that situation" and (2) "He had it coming, that thug moron", it's hard for you to have empathy.  If you don't see any potential for you to end up like the victim, then you won't care.  If you do, you will care.  Now, maybe (1) and (2) are true in this particular case.  But everyone commenting on this thread so far with these sentiments is doing so without proof.  It's based on their assumptions.  And where do such assumptions and prejudices come from?

What assumptions are being made. There is a video of the full attempted arrest. The facts also show he had an active arrest warrant for sexual abuse, domestic violence, and whatever else. If that isn't a criminal, I don't know what is. Empathy would be justified if he complied with the instructions and the cops shot him while he was laying on the ground handcuffed. There should be no empathy is you fight the cops, ignore them, and reach for a potential weapon. If you, I, etc do that we are getting shot.

Stop trying to rationalize moral and intellectual superiority, racist.

What's with this empathy for the " Victim " crap? There is not a victim. Only a known, violent, known to carry a weapon criminal with a active warrant for arrest that resisted and got shot.

You want to talk about victims then mention the folks whose businesses are now destroyed because of that criminals behavior.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-25-2020, 04:43 PM)Jagwired Wrote: What's with this empathy for the " Victim " crap? There is not a victim. Only a known, violent,  known to carry a weapon criminal with a active warrant for arrest that resisted and got shot.

You want to talk about victims then mention the folks whose businesses are now destroyed because of that criminals behavior.

I would upvote you but...  instead someday I'll buy you a beer.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-25-2020, 04:17 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 04:10 PM)mikesez Wrote: That's not what he said.  He wants you to have empathy with the victim and his family.  But if you pre-judge each of these new situations as (1) "I'm too good and smart to ever be in that situation" and (2) "He had it coming, that thug moron", it's hard for you to have empathy.  If you don't see any potential for you to end up like the victim, then you won't care.  If you do, you will care.  Now, maybe (1) and (2) are true in this particular case.  But everyone commenting on this thread so far with these sentiments is doing so without proof.  It's based on their assumptions.  And where do such assumptions and prejudices come from?

We have video yes, but there's not yet any unified story about why or when a taser was used, or who got the idea he had a knife. cops are known to come up with those kinds of justifications after the fact, even planting weapons or drugs at crime scenes.

There was a warrant for his arrest, but it's not clear if the cops knew about that at the time. Obviously, that fact would not be relevant, if none of the officers knew.

so you're adding tidbits of information that muddy the conversation

(08-25-2020, 05:16 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 04:17 PM)p_rushing Wrote: What assumptions are being made. There is a video of the full attempted arrest. The facts also show he had an active arrest warrant for sexual abuse, domestic violence, and whatever else. If that isn't a criminal, I don't know what is. Empathy would be justified if he complied with the instructions and the cops shot him while he was laying on the ground handcuffed. There should be no empathy is you fight the cops, ignore them, and reach for a potential weapon. If you, I, etc do that we are getting shot.

We have video yes, but there's not yet any unified story about why or when a taser was used, or who got the idea he had a knife. cops are known to come up with those kinds of justifications after the fact, even planting weapons or drugs at crime scenes.

There was a warrant for his arrest, but it's not clear if the cops knew about that at the time. Obviously, that fact would not be relevant, if none of the officers knew.

The knife comment came from the person recording the video.

Understand what happens at the scene when the cops arrive. It was a domestic call by someone else seeing the "women" fighting, so cops don't know who is the problem. Anyone at the scene involved will get secured and temporarily handcuffed. Then the cops will check ids and interview the people involved. They will make a determination on who if any is being arrested.

You can't isolate everything to 1-2 seconds and say nothing else matters. If the cops ran his license, tag, or knew him he was going to be arrested because of the warrant. Even if the cops didn't know it, he knew it and it's why he fought them and tried to at best leave.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

(08-25-2020, 04:17 PM)p_rushing Wrote: What assumptions are being made. There is a video of the full attempted arrest. The facts also show he had an active arrest warrant for sexual abuse, domestic violence, and whatever else. If that isn't a criminal, I don't know what is. Empathy would be justified if he complied with the instructions and the cops shot him while he was laying on the ground handcuffed. There should be no empathy is you fight the cops, ignore them, and reach for a potential weapon. If you, I, etc do that we are getting shot.

LOL.  So please tell us.  If a suspect is in a physical confrontation on the ground with 2 police officers (as shown in the video) why does he all of the sudden get up?  Does he really just "casually" walk by a police officer "casually" holding his firearm?  Was he going to his vehicle to retrieve his identification to completely comply with the officers' instructions?

What "tactically" would you do if you and a fellow officer were attempting to detain a subject (on the ground) and he somehow got away from you?  Do you KNOW without a doubt that he is unarmed?  What if he ignores your instructions and is walking away?  What if he reaches (doesn't appear to be getting into) a vehicle?  What "tactically" should the police officer(s) have done?  Both officers had their firearms drawn, why is that?  Was that a bad thing to do "tactically"?

(08-25-2020, 05:53 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/i/status/1298292888590118912

I'm surprised that they just removed "violent" and didn't replace it with "peaceful".

Man you will try every angle you can to defend a criminal and put the blame on the cops.  The evidence is right in front of your face but your to jaded to accept it.  You speak of empathy like it belongs only to the person who ended up shot.  As soon as I read sex abuse and domestic violence, he lost any chance at empathy from me.  Do you have empathy for his victims, how about the cop that got a brick to the head during a protest over this crap?  Any empathy for the local business owners whos means of supporting their family is going up in flames? 

You know I read a story one about a father who beat to death a man who was molesting his little daughter.  I would love to hear your opinion on that case.  I'm guessing it would make most of our stomachs churn hearing you defend that criminal.

(08-25-2020, 05:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 05:16 PM)mikesez Wrote: We have video yes, but there's not yet any unified story about why or when a taser was used, or who got the idea he had a knife. cops are known to come up with those kinds of justifications after the fact, even planting weapons or drugs at crime scenes.

LOL.  So please tell us.  If a suspect is in a physical confrontation on the ground with 2 police officers (as shown in the video) (1) why does he all of the sudden get up? (2) Does he really just "casually" walk by a police officer "casually" holding his firearm? (3) Was he going to his vehicle to retrieve his identification to completely comply with the officers' instructions?

(4) what "tactically" would you do if you and a fellow officer were attempting to detain a subject (on the ground) and he somehow got away from you? (5) Do you KNOW without a doubt that he is unarmed? (6) What if he ignores your instructions and is walking away?  What if he reaches (doesn't appear to be getting into) a vehicle?  What "tactically" should the police officer(s) have done? (7) Both officers had their firearms drawn, why is that?  Was that a bad thing to do "tactically"?

(1) The two officers failed to hold him down. More officers were available and more should have joined.
(2) he's not causal at all.  He's obviously agitated.
(3) no way for them to know at the time, from what we know now.
(4) stand up, run after him, unless I've seen him with a knife.
(5) I just fought him hand to hand, so, most likely, I've either already seen his weapon (if the knife story was true) or I'm pretty sure he has no weapon.

But at this point the perspective shifts.  First questions were from the perspective of the two officers fighting on the ground.  The next questions are from the perspective of the officer who fired the shot.
(6) presumably, I drew my weapon to give cover to the two officers fighting on the ground. I had a decent position, about 15 feet away from the fight. At this point I have two responsibilities. One is to fire my weapon, if I perceive an immediate threat to anyone's life. But the other is to make sure I and only I maintain control of this loaded, unholstered, and unlocked weapon. I can't risk hand to hand combat anymore.  A suspect in his right mind will act the same with a pistol pointed at him from 15 feet away, as he acts when a pistol is up against his skull. Tactically, I gain nothing, and lose everything, if I close distance with him with my weapon still drawn.
(7) this is a tactical error stemming from either a lack of coordination or lack of training, or bad training.  There was no need for a second person to draw a gun. It should have been 3 with fists, tazers, and batons, and one with a gun.  It's very off-putting when we see the man get up and just walk past two officers who are holding weapons. Our instinct is to think that the one who stood his ground was lazy.  But that was the one who had good training, and knows that he cannot close with a weapon drawn. But the other officer thinks he can close with his weapon drawn, and you see what happens.