Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brokerage Link / Bargain Stocks

Does anyone endeavor in Brokerage Link to manage their 401k?  I just shifted a minimal amount of funds into the account as a test run to invest in some bargain stocks.  I think some of the financial and leisure industry stocks (e.g. Chase, Wells Fargo, airlines, even cruise ships) which are still hovering at their lows are getting set to increase soon as some are still 50% to 75% below their all time highs.  I'll definitely diversify but there seems to be some real (big name) bargains out there.

Questions  (via Fidelity)
Are there any fees tied to trading within brokerage link
Do you still have to wait until 4pm (ET) for a transaction to go through (i really hate that)
Are any public stocks on the DOW, S&P, Nasdaq available to purchase (US and international)? 

Any thoughts/predictions with regard to high potential stocks (e.g. 25% or more increase prediction over the next year)?

I guess i could read the T&Cs but I do that for a living so i really don't feel like diving into that right now.

Thanks

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about when you say "brokerage link".  I assume it's a way for you to invest 401k funds perhaps?

Regarding your questions.

I use Fidelity myself though my situation is probably a bit different.  I have an IRA (traditional), Roth IRA and a "regular" brokerage account with them.  Here is how it works for me.

I can buy or sell stocks, ETF's, mutual funds, REIT's etc. in real time (for the most part).  The "waiting until 4:00 PM EST for a trade to settle is usually tied to mutual funds only.  With an ETF or a regular stock the trade happens whenever you want it to happen.  As far as fees, it depends on what you are trading.  Most mutual funds along with many ETF's are going to have a fee associated with them.  Fidelity does offer some that have "no fees" depending on the circumstance.  As an example there might be a fee charged if you hold the security for less than say 30 days.

Pretty much any stock on the three major exchanges is available for trading.  Some ETF's might require additional paperwork to trade only because Fidelity is more-or-less making sure "do you really want to do this" kind of thing.  These are generally slightly more "advanced" products that basically have 3X the risk.  As an example you can buy an ETF that tracks the DOW at 3X.  In other words, if the DOW goes up 100 points the value of that product goes up "300 points".  On the downside, if it goes the other way you lose that much more.

It works the same for all 3 of my accounts with the only difference being the tax advantage of the IRA's vs. my regular brokerage account.  With my regular account any gains I make when sold are subject to a capital gains tax.

I STRONGLY recommend doing your diligent research before venturing into this.

As far as stock predictions, I rode the Boeing and tech stocks/ETF's over the past few months.  For the most part I have taken profits and kept a relatively small share in each of the investments that I made.  I think the market overall is going to be rather volatile until the election.  Finding the one stock or sector that might make a 25% gain over the next year is in my opinion a fool's game.  Right now I just look for value as far as dividends.  It all depends on your age, level of risk that is acceptable, etc.  My advice is to look beyond the next year and more towards 5-10 years.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Generally there are limits or fees when trading in a 401k, they don't want you actively trading from it. If you want to trade, you should do it outside your 401k where you have access to anything you want to buy.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(08-24-2020, 05:34 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about when you say "brokerage link".  I assume it's a way for you to invest 401k funds perhaps?

I use Fidelity myself though my situation is probably a bit different.  I have an IRA (traditional), Roth IRA and a "regular" brokerage account with them.  Here is how it works for me.

I can buy or sell stocks, ETF's, mutual funds, REIT's etc. in real time (for the most part).  The "waiting until 4:00 PM EST for a trade to settle is usually tied to mutual funds only.  With an ETF or a regular stock the trade happens whenever you want it to happen.  As far as fees, it depends on what you are trading.  Most mutual funds along with many ETF's are going to have a fee associated with them.  Fidelity does offer some that have "no fees" depending on the circumstance.  As an example there might be a fee charged if you hold the security for less than say 30 days.

Pretty much any stock on the three major exchanges is available for trading.  Some ETF's might require additional paperwork to trade only because Fidelity is more-or-less making sure "do you really want to do this" kind of thing.  These are generally slightly more "advanced" products that basically have 3X the risk.  As an example you can buy an ETF that tracks the DOW at 3X.  In other words, if the DOW goes up 100 points the value of that product goes up "300 points".  On the downside, if it goes the other way you lose that much more.

It works the same for all 3 of my accounts with the only difference being the tax advantage of the IRA's vs. my regular brokerage account.  With my regular account any gains I make when sold are subject to a capital gains tax.

As far as stock predictions, I rode the Boeing and tech stocks/ETF's over the past few months.  For the most part I have taken profits and kept a relatively small share in each of the investments that I made.  I think the market overall is going to be rather volatile until the election.  Finding the one stock or sector that might make a 25% gain over the next year is in my opinion a fool's game.  Right now I just look for value as far as dividends.  It all depends on your age, level of risk that is acceptable, etc.  My advice is to look beyond the next year and more towards 5-10 years.

Thanks for the feedback.  I started with the minimum $2500 only to find out that if I want to place a trade prior tot he opening, I need to buy prior to 9:28am.  I think I was on the border today and just missed it.  I then tried to buy at 3:45pm which would take effect upon the closing at 4pm only to find out my buy had to take place prior to 3:40pm so i missed it again.  Anyway, I did xfer a lot more to Brokerage Link and will likely be buying into Delta Airlines tomorrow morning at 9am.  They've been at $55+ over the past 5 years and are currently hovering at $30 --- also, the new Covid cases are diminishing so travel may increase in 4-6 months.  I kind of believe this covid virus is weakening, plus a looming vaccine would make a huge difference.  Still nothing super aggressive, perhaps $50k in hopes to increase by 70% within the next year.  Yep --- that's my FOMO !!!! It previously bottomed out at $19 which still only represents 35% loss in a worst case scenario....  that's not going to break the bank on my min investment.

(08-25-2020, 04:16 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Thanks for the feedback.  I started with the minimum $2500 only to find out that if I want to place a trade prior tot he opening, I need to buy prior to 9:28am.  I think I was on the border today and just missed it.  I then tried to buy at 3:45pm which would take effect upon the closing at 4pm only to find out my buy had to take place prior to 3:40pm so i missed it again.  Anyway, I did xfer a lot more to Brokerage Link and will likely be buying into Delta Airlines tomorrow morning at 9am.  They've been at $55+ over the past 5 years and are currently hovering at $30 --- also, the new Covid cases are diminishing so travel may increase in 4-6 months.  I kind of believe this covid virus is weakening, plus a looming vaccine would make a huge difference.  Still nothing super aggressive, perhaps $50k in hopes to increase by 70% within the next year.  Yep --- that's my FOMO !!!! It previously bottomed out at $19 which still only represents 35% loss in a worst case scenario....  that's not going to break the bank on my min investment.

Here is one thing that is going to affect air travel. Companies are not going back to the office any time soon if ever. Air travel needs business fliers, it's the reason Tuesday & Wednesday are usually cheaper to travel on. Without companies being in the office, consultants will not be traveling and that is a huge part of the air industry revenue. Companies are not going to be going back to the office until next year and most will probably not until March-June.

(08-25-2020, 04:16 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 05:34 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about when you say "brokerage link".  I assume it's a way for you to invest 401k funds perhaps?

Thanks for the feedback.  I started with the minimum $2500 only to find out that if I want to place a trade prior tot he opening, I need to buy prior to 9:28am.  I think I was on the border today and just missed it.  I then tried to buy at 3:45pm which would take effect upon the closing at 4pm only to find out my buy had to take place prior to 3:40pm so i missed it again.  Anyway, I did xfer a lot more to Brokerage Link and will likely be buying into Delta Airlines tomorrow morning at 9am.  They've been at $55+ over the past 5 years and are currently hovering at $30 --- also, the new Covid cases are diminishing so travel may increase in 4-6 months.  I kind of believe this covid virus is weakening, plus a looming vaccine would make a huge difference.  Still nothing super aggressive, perhaps $50k in hopes to increase by 70% within the next year.  Yep --- that's my FOMO !!!! It previously bottomed out at $19 which still only represents 35% loss in a worst case scenario....  that's not going to break the bank on my min investment.

I'm not sure what product you are using, but if it was me I would probably stay away from it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-25-2020, 04:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'm not sure what product you are using, but if it was me I would probably stay away from it.

Agave Tequila Smile

(08-25-2020, 04:26 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Here is one thing that is going to affect air travel. Companies are not going back to the office any time soon if ever. Air travel needs business fliers, it's the reason Tuesday & Wednesday are usually cheaper to travel on. Without companies being in the office, consultants will not be traveling and that is a huge part of the air industry revenue. Companies are not going to be going back to the office until next year and most will probably not until March-June.

I totally agree but in reality, the market is a game to investors these days.  Everything is going against Wall Street.  Personally, I think everyone is looking for a bargain and the Airlines are where it's at.  I'm also looking at Southwest, which has a great balance sheet.  Also, the Gov has pulled through in the past and they sure don't want layoffs in October just before the election.

This freaking market is unconventional.  CNBC just reported this is $5 trillion dollars of investor money sitting in money markets.  I think a lot of people are waiting for a vaccine to jump back in.  If I catch a stock that is 40% below their February 2020 high then that means there could be a 70% increase if they are to get back to their high ..... sure, it may take a year but that's a lot.  If it drops another 10%, so be it ... def not the end of the world.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 11:25 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

OK ... i did a very small experiment so see how this works and i'm up $0.30 already ..... lol

Nice to have trades take place immediately, unlike going through Fidelity where you have to wait until the next day for your trade to take effect.

Crap -- just checked and I'm down $0.45 ..... party's over !!