Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brian Sexton does not beleive Minshew is the QB of the Jags Future.

(09-08-2020, 09:19 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 01:37 AM)Corriewf Wrote: Don’t disagree with most of what you said, but I’d take Minshew over Brunell. Minshew uses his mobility to buy time for an open receiver. That’s what I prefer. Mark was an early Cam Newton type and tore his ACL.... I never felt like Brunell recovered from that. 

Minshew has put in a ton of work this off season. It will be interesting watching him this season. Don’t be too surprised if you get pleasantly surprised.

I don’t mean this in a rude way bc every fan has their own right to an opinion but Minshew ain’t on the same planet as Brunell. I know you didn’t say he was and I agree that Brunell wasn’t the same QB after that Preseason game up in New York but he led this franchise to 4 straight playoffs and took us to the AFC Championship game twice in a 4 year span. 

Who knows what would have happen in 1999 if the music city miracle was called correctly. We probably would have smashed the Bills and put up a dog fight against the Rams.

In 1996 we were 4-7 and ended up beating Buffalo and Denver when the entire world expected us to get blown off the field.

Brunell has some of the NFL’s best all time throws and he has been apart of so many iconic plays like that day Jimmy went for 291. The fade to glory. The scramble in Denver. The leap over a DB in Foxboro. The game he came back from an ACL in week 3 and beat Pittsburgh. McCardell had 18 catches vs the Rams but bc  Brunell was throwing darts. Without Brunell there’s no Jimmy or Keenan. Both had pedestrian numbers prior to Brunell throwing them the ball. 

At one point he owned the Ravens. He was and is the best QB this city has ever had to date. 

2 Pro Bowls
In 1996 he led the league in passing 
In 1996 he led all QBs in rushing 

Brunell’s arm strength gets way over looked. And he almost took Favre’s job but GB didn’t want to cause a controversy at QB. 

He also won the MVP in the Pro Bowl. He was compared to Hall Of Fame QB Steve Young early in his career. 

If you compare McNabb and Brunell through their first 8 seasons they are neck and neck. 

Mark has a very strong arm and could make all the throws and we always had a chance to beat anybody when he was on his game. 

I am just as a huge Minshew fan as the next guy but there’s no way I would take Minshew over Brunell at this point. Some fans were the same way with Bortles. Let me know when Minshew takes us to a few playoffs and 2 AFC Title games and a couple of Pro Bowls later.

I respect your opinion but I just wanted to add mine as well.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-08-2020, 09:19 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 01:37 AM)Corriewf Wrote: Don’t disagree with most of what you said, but I’d take Minshew over Brunell. Minshew uses his mobility to buy time for an open receiver. That’s what I prefer. Mark was an early Cam Newton type and tore his ACL.... I never felt like Brunell recovered from that. 

Minshew has put in a ton of work this off season. It will be interesting watching him this season. Don’t be too surprised if you get pleasantly surprised.

I don’t mean this in a rude way bc every fan has their own right to an opinion but Minshew ain’t on the same planet as Brunell. I know you didn’t say he was and I agree that Brunell wasn’t the same QB after that Preseason game up in New York but he led this franchise to 4 straight playoffs and took us to the AFC Championship game twice in a 4 year span. 

Who knows what would have happen in 1999 if the music city miracle was called correctly. We probably would have smashed the Bills and put up a dog fight against the Rams.

In 1996 we were 4-7 and ended up beating Buffalo and Denver when the entire world expected us to get blown off the field.

Brunell has some of the NFL’s best all time throws and he has been apart of so many iconic plays like that day Jimmy went for 291. The fade to glory. The scramble in Denver. The leap over a DB in Foxboro. The game he came back from an ACL in week 3 and beat Pittsburgh. McCardell had 18 catches vs the Rams but bc  Brunell was throwing darts. Without Brunell there’s no Jimmy or Keenan. Both had pedestrian numbers prior to Brunell throwing them the ball. 

At one point he owned the Ravens. He was and is the best QB this city has ever had to date. 

2 Pro Bowls
In 1996 he led the league in passing 
In 1996 he led all QBs in rushing 

Brunell’s arm strength gets way over looked. And he almost took Favre’s job but GB didn’t want to cause a controversy at QB. 

He also won the MVP in the Pro Bowl. He was compared to Hall Of Fame QB Steve Young early in his career. 

If you compare McNabb and Brunell through their first 8 seasons they are neck and neck. 

Mark has a very strong arm and could make all the throws and we always had a chance to beat anybody when he was on his game. 

I am just as a huge Minshew fan as the next guy but there’s no way I would take Minshew over Brunell at this point. Some fans were the same way with Bortles. Let me know when Minshew takes us to a few playoffs and 2 AFC Title games and a couple of Pro Bowls later.

I respect your opinion but I just wanted to add mine as well.

Most of what you said is valid- I just don’t value running QBs. The punishment their body takes almost guarantees then 2-4 years of greatness and that’s it. I want a QB that is mobile only to extend the play and what I saw from Minshew last year was nothing short of amazing. 

If you want a franchise QB- you don’t want a running QB IMO. 

Ravens will need a new QB in a few years...

(09-08-2020, 09:03 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 08:57 AM)Dimson Wrote: I wonder if he would consider Kyler Murray a franchise QB? Because Minshew had a better season than him overall.

I only watched Kyler play 1 game last year and he was pretty bad.  Going to be interesting to see what these Oklahoma QBs can do in the NFL.  Landry Jones, their all time leading passer totally sucks and Baker Mayfield is erratic.

I would take Kyler all day over Gardner.

(09-08-2020, 10:59 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 09:03 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I only watched Kyler play 1 game last year and he was pretty bad.  Going to be interesting to see what these Oklahoma QBs can do in the NFL.  Landry Jones, their all time leading passer totally sucks and Baker Mayfield is erratic.

I would take Kyler all day over Gardner.

Why?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(09-08-2020, 11:11 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 10:59 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I would take Kyler all day over Gardner.

Why?

Because he was drafted in the 1st round and has that "expectation" that he's good.

So can anyone say, with a straight face, if someone offered you Kyler Murray or Gardner Minshew to be your teams' QB, that they would take Minshew over Murray? I doubt it.

If anyone does say that, I think it'll be interesting to check back at the end of this season and see if you still feel the same way.

Don't get me wrong, I love Minshew and want him to work out for this team more than anyone. But reality still exists.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2020, 12:34 PM by Cleatwood.)

(09-08-2020, 12:09 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 11:11 AM)Dimson Wrote: Why?

Because he was drafted in the 1st round and has that "expectation" that he's good.
Or is it because he’s more mobile and makes throws only 3 QBs in this league can make? Murray’s ceiling is extremely high where as Minshews is Ryan Fitzpatrick (saw someone say this earlier and it’s spot on).

Some of you are really over inflating this team and it’s comical. They were ready to sign Clowney and trade him to Baltimore for a draft pick. They’re tanking and it’s looking like Caldwell will be back no matter what. You don’t make these moves without the assurance you’ll be back. There’s a reason the Jags are constantly mocked around the league and projected to pick 1st in 2021.

(09-08-2020, 12:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 12:09 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Because he was drafted in the 1st round and has that "expectation" that he's good.
Or is it because he’s more mobile and makes throws only 3 QBs in this league can make? Murray’s ceiling is extremely high where as Minshews is Ryan Fitzpatrick (saw someone say this earlier and it’s spot on).

Some of you are really over inflating this team and it’s comical. They were ready to sign Clowney and trade him to Baltimore for a draft pick. They’re tanking and it’s looking like Caldwell will be back no matter what. You don’t make these moves without the assurance you’ll be back. There’s a reason the Jags are constantly mocked around the league and projected to pick 1st in 2021.

It's hard for me to say the guy who played better last year (Minshew) is worse. Sure Murray can make some throws others can't, that doesn't mean he's the better QB.

After this season we'll have a better idea, but right now Minshew is a more successful NFL QB.

(09-08-2020, 12:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 12:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Or is it because he’s more mobile and makes throws only 3 QBs in this league can make? Murray’s ceiling is extremely high where as Minshews is Ryan Fitzpatrick (saw someone say this earlier and it’s spot on).

It's hard for me to say the guy who played better last year (Minshew) is worse. Sure Murray can make some throws others can't, that doesn't mean he's the better QB.

After this season we'll have a better idea, but right now Minshew is a more successful NFL QB.

I agree with that.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(09-08-2020, 12:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Or is it because he’s more mobile and makes throws only 3 QBs in this league can make? Murray’s ceiling is extremely high where as Minshews is Ryan Fitzpatrick (saw someone say this earlier and it’s spot on).

So you wouldn’t trade Minshew for Burrow? I mean at this point, Minshew has had a better career.

Ya know... Murray even prepared all last off season to be the starter. And his HC tailor made an offense for him straight outta his college playbook.
I mean, I'm not saying Minshew will be a HoF QB but the idea that Murray is going to make some astronomical jump in his 2nd year is pretty assumptive. Murray has some skills that Minshew does not possess certainly... but his play last season was "meh" for most games. And his surrounding roster wasn't much worse than ours, if at all.
I can not wait to compare all the 2019 rookie QBs after this season and perhaps the next. That's when we'll really know.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2020, 12:52 PM by Cleatwood.)

(09-08-2020, 12:45 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 12:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: It's hard for me to say the guy who played better last year (Minshew) is worse. Sure Murray can make some throws others can't, that doesn't mean he's the better QB.

Ya know... Murray even prepared all last off season to be the starter. And his HC tailor made an offense for him straight outta his college playbook.
I mean, I'm not saying Minshew will be a HoF QB but the idea that Murray is going to make some astronomical jump in his 2nd year is pretty assumptive. Murray has some skills that Minshew does not possess certainly... but his play last season was "meh" for most games. And his surrounding roster wasn't much worse than ours, if at all.
I can not wait to compare all the 2019 rookie QBs after this season and perhaps the next. That's when we'll really know.
Aren’t there a fair amount of posters saying Minshew is going to take a leap this year?  

If you had to guess who has a better career going forward, who would it be? I think that’s the point of saying if you would trade for Kyler or not.

If someone honestly believes Minshew will have a better career...so be it.

(09-08-2020, 08:50 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Time to prime the pump and justify this bad franchise.  We are being setup for everyone coming back next year and the franchise staying a constant rebuild.  We will probably do okay enough this year to have to expend draft capital to get the "franchise" QB.  Thus continuing the cycle of build, build and rebuild.

I've been looking for an up arrow on this teams potential for like a decade now.  2017 felt okay during the year but the up and down and odd circumstances was a major red flag to not rest on that success.   I liked Sexton enough in the early days but his time has passed.  Going to be a watch year and I hope the best for Minshew.

(09-08-2020, 08:43 AM)hb1148 Wrote: He did compared with how he was playing earlier in the year. That could be attributed to losing his most productive TE, an injury to Chark and defensive coordinator's getting some tape on him. The good news is he seemed to adjust and was ticking back up by the time the season ended. He didn't play great but he played really well for a rookie. We keep losing track of that. He played at least as well as the other rookie QBs that people have penciled in as long time starters. Let's see what he can do this year.

Don't forget that the coaches absolutely tanked him by re-inserting Foles.  Ugh this team.

That was Coughlin forcing Foles.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2020, 12:59 PM by Kane.)

(09-08-2020, 12:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 12:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: It's hard for me to say the guy who played better last year (Minshew) is worse. Sure Murray can make some throws others can't, that doesn't mean he's the better QB.

So you wouldn’t trade Minshew for Burrow? I mean at this point, Minshew has had a better career.

Well Burrow hasn't played a single NFL snap yet. So you're not comparing apples to apples there.
Murray and Minshew both played an NFL season last year and that is the comparison. Pre draft NO ONE would have even argued Minshew was a better NFL prospect than Murray.

If Burrow comes in this year and struggles at the NFL level one could argue, yeah Minshew over Burrow.
Keep in mind Burrow had one really great college season and prior to that was an afterthought as an NFL QB to most.

Sometimes guys show up to the NFL and hit a wall or never progress.
Happens to plenty of highly drafted guys. Manziel, Mariota, Alex Smith didn't get good until like year 6 or 7.

I'm not trying to over hype Minshew, matter of fact last season I was plenty hard on him when he regressed. I was pumping the brakes on the "mania" as much as anyone. I even said it was right to put Foles back in (it wasn't.). I'm cautiously optimistic.
Murray needs a big jump, imo, to validate the first overall pick. Burrow should have a great rookie season to validate his. If he tosses 3500 yards 20 TDs and 12 INTs, I'd be uninspired as a Bengals fan to be honest. When you can get similar or better results from a 3rd (Wilson), 4th (Prescott), or 6th (Minshew) round QB these days, apparently.

(09-08-2020, 12:50 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 12:45 PM)Kane Wrote: Ya know... Murray even prepared all last off season to be the starter. And his HC tailor made an offense for him straight outta his college playbook.
Aren’t there a fair amount of posters saying Minshew is going to take a leap this year?  

If you had to guess who has a better career going forward, who would it be? I think that’s the point of saying if you would trade for Kyler or not.

If someone honestly believes Minshew will have a better career...so be it.
Nah really hard to say who will have the better career. Franchise choices, injuries, etc etc. But a first overall pick should elevate a roster not need it to be perfect around him.

Like I said, pre draft no one would have put the two in the same conversation. But seeing how 2019 played out, you can at least have the conversation. We know Minshew's limits physically but he has it all between the ears I think. He can play above and beyond his physical abilities. Maybe he folds up like a card table this year and is an afterthought. But Murray can not rely on his legs and arm strength alone to make a great career.

This thread reminds me of one after the 2015 season that asked if people would trade bortles for jj watt. Everybody said of course they wouldn't.

Many think Burrow will be all that and a bag of chips in the NFL. I see him as average. We'll find out soon enough.

(09-08-2020, 07:35 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Sexton also said Jax didn't deserve an NFL franchise.

When did he say that?

(09-08-2020, 01:23 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 07:35 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Sexton also said Jax didn't deserve an NFL franchise.

When did he say that?

I recall him saying something along those lines, can't recall the exact circumstances but I think it was when Weaver was still the owner and people were complaining about the win loss record. Probably during the Gene Smith era.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Sexton is a better announcer than Frangie, who is pathetic.  I did enjoy seeing him flame-out on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.  One of the worst performances I ever watched.  Even Marble-mouth Boselli is better than FF.

Who gives a rats [BLEEP] who he thinks the QB of the future is.  This team is so bad at so many positions its not going to matter.  16 rookies is unbelieveable.  Throw them into the fire this year and get them game experience.  Preparation for the Lawrence landing next year.  

Now watch them go out and win 5-6 games and blow the #1 pick.

Sexton said something along the lines of Fred Taylor being a bust in his rookie year.

Taylor went on to rush for 1200 yards that year and was up for rookie of the year along with Randy Moss.