Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Colts Game

(09-14-2020, 11:22 AM)Mikey Wrote: Jay Gruden did a great job with the offense. It felt like he was catering the playbook to the players he had on field - kept it simple, low risk, get them opportunities to succeed and eventually the big wins came, that wide open TD was fabulous.

Schobert was great. I think he has a better command of the D than Jack ever did in the middle, and moving Jack outside allows him the freedom to use his speed effectively, as we saw in the shut down of Brisset's lone(?) snap. There were a couple of plays where the D bit on misdirection plays, but we have to remember this is the first game action the unit has played together, and that defense is young. I have to imagine the vets feel they still need to feel out the young guys to know whether or not they can hold their own on the field.

Special teams were reliable, as always. Kudos to the grounds crew for using the extra large goal posts this week, Blankenship will be hearing that doink in his nightmares

I thought both Schobert and Jack had good games. 

At times, Jack was all over the place, and Schobert seemed to be in good position most plays, and there never seemed to be any plays were the front was misaligned.

Speaking of which, the 3-4 seemed to be nonexistent this game.

I'm thinking perhaps they scrapped it.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-15-2020, 02:00 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't think that roughing the passer penalty should have been called.

I've seen it a couple of times now, and I can see why they called it.  The ball was out and Smoot didn't hold up.  Instead, he followed through and hit Rivers in the head with his hands.  

Contrast that with the later hit on the QB by Myles Jack.  The ball was out and Jack still hit Rivers, but he held his hands out and didn't follow through.  Hence, no roughing call.

Everyone is pretty much on point with how this game went. A lot of positive surprises, namely the RB Situation (aside from missing a second Back that takes some carries away). Shenault seems versatile, Cole looks good. Oline looks pretty decent with James Robinson finding holes (Fournette was really not that good apparently).
I didnt love the pass protection, even though some people here thought it was good. I think Robinson at LT gets beaten a little too often. Might be a position that we want to improve next year.

The Defense will have a long season, especially the line and the secondary. But that was expected. Overall, the game against the Colts was probably our best game in a long time. Much needed for our fanbase haha.

We're passing on first down at a pretty good clip, relative to the league, and I imagine much better compared to past years.

Minshew is throwing to the middle of the field much better than he did last year (so far).

Football Outsiders has us third in team effeciency behind Bal and NE. 

I worry about the DT depth. Abry has always been a player who is more effective with less snaps.

Also noted Minshew was graded 2nd best at getting the ball out the quickest this week.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-16-2020, 06:18 PM)icey14 Wrote: Also noted Minshew was graded 2nd best at getting the ball out the quickest this week.
That is the key with an average at best OL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

(09-16-2020, 06:18 PM)icey14 Wrote: Also noted Minshew was graded 2nd best at getting the ball out the quickest this week.

Mad props to Gruden for looking at last year's tape and knowing this had to happen if we're to succeed. 
I've been mystified by prior coordinators' lack of adjustment to the previous season's weaknesses. 
Gruden seems to get it in that regard. Strengths and weaknesses.