Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew Not The Man

(10-05-2020, 03:52 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 01:16 AM)Corriewf Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401220157

Check the quarters at the top bud. Wink

Things get a bit easier against a prevent defense.

Stop being a box score warrior dude... There was no prevent Defense being played.. Forming your opinion on the box score is pretty sad dude.

The quarter ended and we kicked a FG literally 20 seconds later in the start of the 4th to make it 16-27 (NFL website has the play by play which proves it for you box score warriors).. That game was far from garbage time, with basically a full quarter to play and only an 11 point lead.

The problem isn't our QB. It's our Defense that makes an 11 point lead seem like a 33 point lead because they can't/haven't stopped anybody yet through 4 weeks.

If that is sad, how sad is gaslighting off of one post to sum up pages of opinion as null and void? 

Minshew is a serviceable QB. That is not up for debate here, at least not from me. What I am discussing is his status as a franchise QB. If we are picking top 5- you wouldn’t be ok taking a possible franchise guy? 

I’m seeing Minshew panic, fail his reads before the first sack...or in yesterday’s game before the first TD by an opposing team. He is looking like his rookie year the last two games against weak defenses. Just wait until we play the bigger badder teams. 

He had an int, two punts, and 5 field goals. That is 8 possible possessions he failed to get a TD. Our defense actually had some decent stops in the first half. You can’t say the defense was the only problem yesterday.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think Minshew is still developing, and of course I hope that by the year’s end it’s clear he is the answer. As much as I like Minshew, I have to agree that we have to draft a QB if we are in the top 5. QB is too important to settle. Btw, drafting a QB does not mean we just cut Minshew in that scenario.

(10-05-2020, 09:26 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 08:49 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Maybe I wasn’t clear.

I’m not saying they’re the same QB by any means. Minshew is much much better than Blake.

However, fans are making the same excuses for Minshew that they did for Blake. Which led to the Jags passing on Watson, Mahomes and Lamar.

Nah I am good with your point of view.  Just tired of the team.  They are wearing us out by having top to bottom failure.  No plans, no development and rolling out what they know is an obviously faulty product but do nothing to fix it.  It is sad really.  Thanks for your point of view.
Ain’t that the damn truth... 

I was apologizing to my son for being born into this. Lol! It’s been a rough 20 years after what looked like such a promising start to a franchise! 

Truth be told- the above has made me hyper skeptical of any QB at this point. Minshew could just need a few years to really come into his zone. My problem is that I don’t want to risk years. I don’t think we as a franchise are in a position to bend much longer before we break. It’s a matter of time before Jacksonville tells Kahn to take his crap to London already because we aren’t paying for this garbage anymore!

(10-05-2020, 09:52 AM)Newton Wrote: I think Minshew is still developing, and of course I hope that by the year’s end it’s clear he is the answer. As much as I like Minshew, I have to agree that we have to draft a QB if we are in the top 5. QB is too important to settle. Btw, drafting a QB does not mean we just cut Minshew in that scenario.

The best teams have a really good backup. You don’t want your franchise guy to go down and boom your whole season is toast. Minshew is a guy that can carry a winning team forward and keep you in the running. If we do draft a QB we need to do everything possible to keep Minshew.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 10:18 AM by mal234.)

(10-05-2020, 09:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm starting to see Minshew as jumpy and skittish in the pocket. That's not good. As I stated in another post, if he comes out the next game looking the same, it might be time to sit him. You can see the stress in his face and his play. Of course it doesn't help that the defense is hanging 4 or 5 TDs around his neck just to stay even. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Luton work with this crew for a half to see if his size and height make a difference.

IMO, he doesn't deserved to get bench. And while I am happy to hear how Jake Luton was performing in camp, it looks like he's been relegated to the 3rd stringer position as he has been inactive all of the games this year. So if you want Minshew benched, you might be getting Glennon. 

(10-05-2020, 09:52 AM)Newton Wrote: I think Minshew is still developing, and of course I hope that by the year’s end it’s clear he is the answer. As much as I like Minshew, I have to agree that we have to draft a QB if we are in the top 5. QB is too important to settle. Btw, drafting a QB does not mean we just cut Minshew in that scenario.

(10-05-2020, 10:03 AM)Corriewf Wrote:

The best teams have a really good backup. You don’t want your franchise guy to go down and boom your whole season is toast. Minshew is a guy that can carry a winning team forward and keep you in the running. If we do draft a QB we need to do everything possible to keep Minshew.

If they cut him bench him, (or possibly trade him), he will eventually end up on another team. Possibly one where he will have a better chance of having success. They could trade him to a team that doesn't have a concrete answer at the starting position for QB.

If they bench him, there is no way I see him staying with the Jags longer term. He will leave after his rookie contract is over. Barring some health issues I don't see Gardner willingly going for a long term back up role. He will go somewhere where he can possibly start. I think that he could be a longer term starter in this league, regardless of whether the Jags draft someone like Trevor Lawrence or not. And I could see him being successful on another team, especially ones that have defenses that are at least somewhat decent.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 10:34 AM by Minshew Mania.)

Lol let's trade Minshew to the Patriots, he sucks. Awful let's draft Lawrence.

I'll be curious to see what ya'lls thoughts are in 10 years after that happened.

I honestly think you guys don't know what a good QB looks like. We been seeing bad ones too often. To even bring up Bortle's apologists just goes to show you don't understand what you're seeing. Bortles was actually pretty decent except in one key category, he could not throw the football. Which is a pretty laughable problem to have as a QB. There is one key difference between Minshew and Bortles. Minshew, the entire league recognizes he is a good QB, except some traumatized Jags fans. Bortles the entire league recognized as a bad QB, except some traumatized Jags fans.

Minshew checks all the boxes, we're just a bad football team, which is frustrating because our Offense is good enough to hang with most teams in this league, being 3 years removed from on of the League's best defenses, this hurts.

The plan is obviously to push next year, and I trust we will be just improved. But honestly without some big free agent signings I'm not sure it will be enough. Not sure who's all going to be available this off season

Minshew will be a top 10 QB in the league. Maybe even top 5 some day. He has all of the tools. Some Jags fans are just shell shocked and don’t know good QB play. The dude had one bad drive yesterday.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 10:43 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-05-2020, 10:28 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote: Lol let's trade Minshew to the Patriots, he sucks. Awful let's draft Lawrence.

I'll be curious to see what ya'lls thoughts are in 10 years after that happened.

I honestly think you guys don't know what a good QB looks like. We been seeing bad ones too often. To even bring up Bortle's apologists just goes to show you don't understand what you're seeing. Bortles was actually pretty decent except in one key category, he could not throw the football. Which is a pretty laughable problem to have as a QB. There is one key difference between Minshew and Bortles. Minshew, the entire league recognizes he is a good QB, except some traumatized Jags fans. Bortles the entire recognized as a bad QB, except some traumatized Jags fans.

Minshew checks all the boxes, we're just a bad football team, which is frustrating because our Offense is good enough to hang with most teams in this league, being 3 years removed from on of the League's best defenses, this hurts.

The plan is obviously to push next year, and I trust we will be just improved. But honestly without some big free agent signings I'm not sure it will be enough. Not sure who's all going to be available this off season

Minshew is tough to evaluate, imo.  Its too early to say one way or the other.  I think he can be good, but I'm not sure great.  If you have to be a reductionist and pick just one stat to evaluate quarterback play, the QBR rating is probably the most valid.  His QBR rating is 19th in the League right now, lower-middle of the pack.  And that is kind of how I see him.  David Garrard.  Fitzpatrick.  Tyrod Taylor.  Lots to like about the guy's leadership and intangibles, but can't see him winning a championship.

(10-05-2020, 10:41 AM)PS9 Wrote: Minshew will be a top 10 QB in the league. Maybe even top 5 some day. He has all of the tools. Some Jags fans are just shell shocked and don’t know good QB play. The dude had one bad drive yesterday.

I don't see that.  Sorry.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 10:51 AM by mal234.)

(10-05-2020, 10:28 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote: Lol let's trade Minshew to the Patriots, he sucks. Awful let's draft Lawrence.

I honestly think you guys don't know what a good QB looks like. We been seeing bad ones too often. To even bring up Bortle's apologists just goes to show you don't understand what you're seeing. Bortles was actually pretty decent except in one key category, he could not throw the football. Which is a pretty laughable problem to have as a QB.

lol, or he's going to end up somewhere else really stable/good like the Saints after Drew Brees retires. Or the Steelers. Or maybe even somewhere like the Colts after Phillip Rivers retires. By the time Gardner's rookie contract is over, I could see Drew, Big Ben and Phillip either having retired or being on the brink of retirement. And the teams they are on, especially the Steelers/Saints are teams that are well run organizations.

If their QB's retire before Gardner's contract is up, they can win enough not to get a top draft pick. But still be looking for a new QB. And then once he's available he could have an opportunity to sign with them. The Steelers were winning with a third string QB in Duck Hodges. They darn near made the playoffs with him last year. If they had Gardner they would have made the playoffs last year.

There is opportunity for him to eventually start for other teams, one reason because in the next few years some of these old QB's will retire. And almost all of them are on teams that aren't bad enough to tank, even without them. And teams may finally move on from some of the younger ones that are less productive than Gardner as well.

In the next few years, he could have an opportunity of starting for some really good organizations.

Some people like to compare him to Ryan Fitzpatrick. Okay, well how many times has Fitzpatrick had the opportunity to start on a team and take a QB1 position. And he only lost those spots because he fell short in big moments, and kept being up and down. One example would be the Jets team he was on a few years back, when he had them in playoff contention late in the season. Only to revert back to throwing a bunch of interceptions in a game late in the season, contributing to them missing them.

I think that Gardner could have a better career than him. And if he gets on a good organization, will have a better chance of holding onto a starter position. He's not a Chase Daniels type who seems to care more about getting paid to be backup than to try and actually be a starter.

If we end up with a top 5 pick and a good QB is available you take him and let the best man play. If Minshew wins so be it, the rookie could use his first season to develop and learn. If both are really good you trade one.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(10-05-2020, 10:41 AM)PS9 Wrote: Minshew will be a top 10 QB in the league. Maybe even top 5 some day. He has all of the tools. Some Jags fans are just shell shocked and don’t know good QB play. The dude had one bad drive yesterday.
Top 5?!

Man. Drinking this early huh?

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 11:13 AM by mal234.)

(10-05-2020, 11:02 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
Top 5?!

He is already currently Top 5/Top 10 in certain statistics this year. Even on team with a really bad defense and a losing record.

He's top 5 in passing stats right now. He's top 7 in TD's right now. And that's factoring in his performance against the Miami. Imagine if the team had a more competent defense and a better record. And he wasn't being pressured to try and overcome large deficits a lot of the time.

If things could improve around, whether it's on this Jags team or another team, I could see him being at least a Top 10 QB overall at some point. Definitely top 12-15. As for being a top five at some point, you never know.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 11:18 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-05-2020, 11:09 AM)mal234 Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 11:02 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Top 5?!

He is already currently Top 5/Top 10 in certain statistics this year. Even on team with a really bad defense and a losing record.

He's top 5 in passing stats right now. He's top 7 in TD's right now. And that's factoring in his performance against the Miami. Imagine if the team had a more competent defense and a better record. And he wasn't being pressured to try and overcome large deficits a lot of the time.

If things could improve around, whether it's on this Jags team or another team, I could see him being at least a Top 10 QB overall at some point. Definitely top 12-15. As for being a top five at some point, you never know.

Do you really think he's a Top 5 QB in the NFL because of some meaningless stats?  Really?  You will be very lonely on that island if you do.

His QBR is 19th.  Pedestrian at best.  I'm not saying he can't become better, but he could also get worse.   The thing is, we don't know.  Let's play the season out before we get any real evaluation or projection of him.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Geez.... dude has 16 starts.... He needs to play better certainly but people hanging him out to dry like this aren't looking around the league at what bad QB play is.
If there is a regime change, he definitely needs to play a lot better cuz the new guys will likely want their guy if there is any question. But I don't think he's playing poorly enough yet for us to give up on his ability to be "the man".
He's never going to have elite level talent, so if you think our QB should be elite or cut every year, well I don't know what to tell you. Guess keep hoping for first overall and hope Lawrence is "elite" right away.

Don't think many QBs are winning many games with the D we currently have. Our WRs seemingly go from being very good to invisible between series and games. I really don't know why Gruden is putting so much on Minshew when Robinson is having success. Big run play called back for a hold, 1st and 15, 2nd and 15, 3rd and 15, all passing plays during one stretch. Mind boggling to me. Minshew needs to play better but I feel like our 1-3 record falls on so much more than him having a few off target passes and missing a couple open guys. Mainly the defense. People saying we're making excuses like the Bortles situation, not even apples to apples. Bortles a former top 5 pick, had apologists (including myself) in years 4 and 5. Minshew has played above and beyond his 6th round grade already and has at least earned the right to be judged after completing a season or so. It ain't excuses to not want to swap out a QB that has showed some promise after a years worth of games... I mean I got bagged on for calling Josh Allen trash... in year 3 he's developed into a pretty good QB after a crap year and a mediocre one. Why doesn't Minshew, who has looked better earlier get the same pass, especially being on a cheaper and shorter contract?

Anywho... I know fans gonna fan but for all the crap people catch about claiming something too soon I feel this is the same knee jerk reaction the other way. At least give Minshew the rest of the season to show something.

Compared to other QBs, he's pretty short and has a weak arm so I'd have to say that he does not have all the tools.

I’m not doggin him but top 5 QB? Top 5 QBs are elite man.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 11:29 AM by Kane.)

(10-05-2020, 11:19 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Compared to other QBs, he's pretty short and has a weak arm so I'd have to say that he does not have all the tools.

Think I read somewhere the average height of an NFL QB is like 6'2"-6'3"
Minshew is listed at 6'1".
Rodgers is 6'2"
Dak is 6'2"
Jackson is 6'2"

Wilson and Brees are like 5'11"

I think height thing is slightly over played these days, yes OL guys are tall but offenses these days aren't just drop back and look over the OL to routes.
I don't think an inch or two matters THAT much.

Arm strength, or velocity, or ability to "zip" the throws into tight windows probably is a legitimate knock. Minshew probably will never be able to make "all the throws" that a guy like Mahomes or Rodgers or even Wilson makes. But he has enough ability to make most of the throws and is (usually) accurate enough to put the ball in a place the WR can make some YAC. Some of his accuracy has been an issue these past couple weeks and I'm waiting to see if he can get back to better ball placement and still needs to improve on his "vision" which I believe can come with time and trusting his protection (when it's there)

(10-05-2020, 11:24 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I’m not doggin him but top 5 QB? Top 5 QBs are elite man.

Top 5 in stats? I mean, I guess I could see it happening. Scheme and skill players dependent. Stats don't tell the whole story though. I doubt we mention him in top 5 lists with guys like Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc.

(10-05-2020, 11:24 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I’m not doggin him but top 5 QB? Top 5 QBs are elite man.

I don’t see that happening. With the current young talent with QBs in the league, Minshew would have to improve enough to make a name of himself in the future. Thats only if he’s still a starter. I can see him play like a top 15-20 Quarterback as of today. Many things can happen and I really hope he can improve.

(10-05-2020, 10:47 AM)mal234 Wrote:

I honestly think you guys don't know what a good QB looks like. We been seeing bad ones too often. To even bring up Bortle's apologists just goes to show you don't understand what you're seeing. Bortles was actually pretty decent except in one key category, he could not throw the football. Which is a pretty laughable problem to have as a QB.

lol, or he's going to end up somewhere else really stable/good like the Saints after Drew Brees retires. Or the Steelers. Or maybe even somewhere like the Colts after Phillip Rivers retires. By the time Gardner's rookie contract is over, I could see Drew, Big Ben and Phillip either having retired or being on the brink of retirement. And the teams they are on, especially the Steelers/Saints are teams that are well run organizations.

If their QB's retire before Gardner's contract is up, they can win enough not to get a top draft pick. But still be looking for a new QB. And then once he's available he could have an opportunity to sign with them. The Steelers were winning with a third string QB in Duck Hodges. They darn near made the playoffs with him last year. If they had Gardner they would have made the playoffs last year.

There is opportunity for him to eventually start for other teams, one reason because in the next few years some of these old QB's will retire. And almost all of them are on teams that aren't bad enough to tank, even without them. And teams may finally move on from some of the younger ones that are less productive than Gardner as well.

In the next few years, he could have an opportunity of starting for some really good organizations.

Some people like to compare him to Ryan Fitzpatrick. Okay, well how many times has Fitzpatrick had the opportunity to start on a team and take a QB1 position. And he only lost those spots because he fell short in big moments, and kept being up and down. One example would be the Jets team he was on a few years back, when he had them in playoff contention late in the season. Only to revert back to throwing a bunch of interceptions in a game late in the season, contributing to them missing them.

I think that Gardner could have a better career than him. And if he gets on a good organization, will have a better chance of holding onto a starter position. He's not a Chase Daniels type who seems to care more about getting paid to be backup than to try and actually be a starter.

Your logic is sound. Bridgewater did fairly well in NO with their system. Some teams just have really good all around systems that don’t require elite QB play. I could easily see Minshew playing well in one. I don’t know if I see him winning Super Bowls but hey look at Foles. I think Foles is a good example of what Minshew career could look like. There were years Foles looked amazing...then there were years he was terrible. 

What we have here currently is a dumpster fire all over with a few young gems waiting to be polished. We don’t have a good system that just needs a decent QB. Honestly, this org needs an elite QB Mahomes type. I realize that is easier said than done and a top 5 pick is no guarantee of one, but we need need it. 

As much as I like Minshew and hated posting this thread. I love an underdog story... This franchise deserves to finally land an elite QB..Minshew’s ceiling seems to be much lower.

(10-05-2020, 11:17 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 11:09 AM)mal234 Wrote: He is already currently Top 5/Top 10 in certain statistics this year. Even on team with a really bad defense and a losing record.

Do you really think he's a Top 5 QB in the NFL because of some meaningless stats?  Really?  You will be very lonely on that island if you do.

His QBR is 19th.  Pedestrian at best.  I'm not saying he can't become better, but he could also get worse.   The thing is, we don't know.  Let's play the season out before we get any real evaluation or projection of him.

Technically he is top 5 in that one statistic. And he had a top five performance in the the first week. And top 10 performances the first two weeks of this season. I can't think of more than 9 QB's that played/looked better than Gardner did the first couple of weeks this season. Off the top of my head, I would say Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers, Lamar, Mahomes, etc... I can't think of too many beyond that. He was showing that he could hang in there with a really good group of players.

I think he has the potential to be a good QB and a longer starter in this league. Look at what he's putting up with a team that has some really bad problems. When you factor in everything and I'll include QBR in that he may already be like top 15 overall right now. At the very least close to it. It's very possible (especially with all of the teams that are currently also 1-3 and 0-4 right now.) We have a lot of teams right now with bad records and a lot their QB's are not putting up the numbers/production that Gardner has been doing. And some of these teams have better coaches, weapons and defenses than Gardner has.

I think that he can definitely grow and improve, especially if the situation around him becomes better.

And he has the room to go up, if this team could play better overall. Or if he finds himself in a much better situation.