Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Don't kick Gardner Minshew to curb in draft

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 10:41 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-12-2020, 10:39 AM)Newton Wrote: At this point, we’ve all put up with years and years of mediocrity. It’s time to make whatever moves can guarantee a winning future. Drafting a QB in the first round, absolutely. Firing the entire staff and coach? Don’t even give it a second thought. We need some major changes around here

I would argue that we are looking up at mediocrity, and it has been out of our reach for 9 of the last 10 seasons.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 10:49 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(10-12-2020, 10:39 AM)Newton Wrote: At this point, we’ve all put up with years and years of mediocrity. It’s time to make whatever moves can guarantee a winning future. Drafting a QB in the first round, absolutely. Firing the entire staff and coach? Don’t even give it a second thought. We need some major changes around here

Our record was 51-109 over the past decade as we ranked 31st out of 32 teams in winning percentage in the NFL 

We need to drastically improve to be mediocre !!! 

Quote:I want to seriously punch everyone of you who think drafting Mahomes and just kicking Bortles to the curb is a smart move. Let's build a [BLEEP] team before we start casting off players who are actually decent to good... this makes no sense.

You dont pass up generational or franchise QB... yes i hear it, and understand. 

I think we need a RB, pass rusher, OLINEMAN and CB's before we draft Bortles's replacement. Let's give the guy 2 years before we make this stupid rant.. jesus.

Cry

Nobody is saying dump Minshew. But unless he is lighting it up, and you know for a fact that he's the guy you plan to build your franchise around, you have to consider the other options out there.

If you don't know if the guy you have is a franchise QB, you don't have a franchise QB.

(10-12-2020, 03:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If you don't know if the guy you have is a franchise QB, you don't have a franchise QB.

Lol, and yet the Falcons traded Favre and the Pats sat Brady behind Bledsoe and the Chargers took Manning/Rivers and let Brees walk. Axioms are poor substitute for strategy.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Minshew is the 2nd best QB this team has ever had.

Weird thing is, i'm not sure if this make me happy or sad when looking at the whole picture.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 04:05 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-12-2020, 03:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 03:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If you don't know if the guy you have is a franchise QB, you don't have a franchise QB.

Lol, and yet the Falcons traded Favre and the Pats sat Brady behind Bledsoe and the Chargers took Manning/Rivers and let Brees walk. Axioms are poor substitute for strategy.

I hear you, but by their 2nd seasons you knew there was something special about all those guys.  We don't see that with Minshew... he will have until the end of the season to show us differently.  Brees was the latest developer of that group, but you could still see it in his play... San Diego let him walk because of injury concerns over his shoulder.

(10-12-2020, 04:01 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: Minshew is the 2nd best QB this team has ever had.

Weird thing is, i'm not sure if this make me happy or sad when looking at the whole picture.

I'd say he is 3rd behind David Garrard, but could catch up to him if he keeps improving.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

I love me some Minshew as he will get the Jags the #1 pick. Keep at it sport.

It's kind of hard to determine whether Minshew is missing WRs on TV but apparently based on those that watched the game film, he definitely is missing open WRs and is leaving the pocket way too early. There seems to be a consensus on this from our local radio analysts who have played the game (Boselli, Lageman, etc.)

After the Colts win, everyone thought he was the guy.

(10-14-2020, 02:05 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: After the Colts win, everyone thought he was the guy.

Not true.

(10-12-2020, 04:01 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: Minshew is the 2nd best QB this team has ever had.

Care to elaborate?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2020, 05:26 PM by TearExtractor.)

(10-14-2020, 05:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Brunell(who really isnt a high bar nowadays)
Minshew - if his play stays at this level, and doesn't pull a Bortles
Garrard - I mean, maybe put him above, but really we are splitting hairs at this point on VERY average qb play

(10-14-2020, 05:25 PM)TearExtractor Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 05:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Care to elaborate?

Brunell(who really isnt a high bar nowadays)
Minshew - if his play stays at this level, and doesn't pull a Bortles
Garrard - I mean, maybe put him above, but really we are splitting hairs at this point on VERY average qb play

I could maybe agree with that.  When Brunell first started for the Jaguars one of his best traits was his ability to scramble until he got hurt.  You have to keep in mind though the supporting cast around him at the time.

Garrard was supposed to be the "heir apparent" prior to the team drafting Leftwich.  In hindsight I think the team should have played Garrard back then rather than waiting as long as they did.

Pretty much every other quarterback has been a "good backup" after that.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Minshew has had some problems that make me question if he is the man. I also want everyone to take into consideration that he is a Sophmore QB on a very mediocre team.

To be honest I am 50/50 on him. Some of the problems I see:

-Has developed Happy feet in the pocket over the last few weeks. Checking it down too much while not giving plays time to develop.

-Has had more than a handful of throws that just makes one want to scratch their head. Throwing 10 feet over receivers head, INT into triple coverage, flat out missing open td's at times.

That being said he makes 8 out of every 10 throw and always seems to make an amazing throw or two a game. It is really hard to judge him because the OC forgets the running game exist at times while this team lacks playmakers on the offensive side of the Ball. Outside of Shenault, Chark, Robinson everyone else is just kinda Meh. Butterfingers Conley has kinda vanished lately. The tight end spot is a non factor again in most games. Minshew needs a better line and more weapons on the offensive side of the ball to have a fair shot. He will have the remainder of this year to prove it.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(10-14-2020, 10:22 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Minshew has had some problems that make me question if he is the man.   I also want everyone to take into consideration that he is a Sophmore QB on a very mediocre team.

To be honest I am 50/50 on him.    Some of the problems I see:

-Has developed Happy feet in the pocket over the last few weeks.   Checking it down too much while not giving plays time to develop.

-Has had more than a handful of throws that just makes one want to scratch their head.  Throwing 10 feet over receivers head, INT into triple coverage, flat out missing open td's at times.  

That being said he makes 8 out of every 10 throw and always seems to make an amazing throw or two a game.   It is really hard to judge him because the OC forgets the running game exist at times while this team lacks playmakers on the offensive side of the Ball.  Outside of Shenault, Chark,  Robinson everyone else is just kinda Meh.   Butterfingers Conley has kinda vanished lately.  The tight end spot is a non factor again in most games.   Minshew needs a better line and more weapons on the offensive side of the ball to have a fair shot.    He will have the remainder of this year to prove it.

but wasn't he just getting blamed of holding the ball too long and getting sacked? Maybe this is him trying to fix that. Throw a check down quick before he gets sacked? i dunno but every few games its like we see a difference in him. Beginning of the season it was he holds the ball too long, now he panics and gets rid of it too fast. I feel like hes trying to fix his issues but maybe over compensating for it causing others. I do agree with the lack of talent around him. There's so many times you can see during a game that our guys get beat 1vs1 in matchups. It's kinda pathetic.
In Dougie I Trust!

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2020, 10:50 AM by Cleatwood.)

(10-15-2020, 10:39 AM)Hurricane Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 10:22 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Minshew has had some problems that make me question if he is the man.   I also want everyone to take into consideration that he is a Sophmore QB on a very mediocre team.

To be honest I am 50/50 on him.    Some of the problems I see:

-Has developed Happy feet in the pocket over the last few weeks.   Checking it down too much while not giving plays time to develop.

-Has had more than a handful of throws that just makes one want to scratch their head.  Throwing 10 feet over receivers head, INT into triple coverage, flat out missing open td's at times.  

That being said he makes 8 out of every 10 throw and always seems to make an amazing throw or two a game.   It is really hard to judge him because the OC forgets the running game exist at times while this team lacks playmakers on the offensive side of the Ball.  Outside of Shenault, Chark,  Robinson everyone else is just kinda Meh.   Butterfingers Conley has kinda vanished lately.  The tight end spot is a non factor again in most games.   Minshew needs a better line and more weapons on the offensive side of the ball to have a fair shot.    He will have the remainder of this year to prove it.

but wasn't he just getting blamed of holding the ball too long and getting sacked? Maybe this is him trying to fix that. Throw a check down quick before he gets sacked? i dunno but every few games its like we see a difference in him. Beginning of the season it was he holds the ball too long, now he panics and gets rid of it too fast. I feel like hes trying to fix his issues but maybe over compensating for it causing others. I do agree with the lack of talent around him. There's so many times you can see during a game that our guys get beat 1vs1 in matchups. It's kinda pathetic.
Chark Viska Cole and Robinson are better than some of the other teams.

Jets WFT Colts Giants Eagles Bengals (maybe) Pats. Those all have worse position players IMO. 

I’m seeing our guys open down field but Minshew can’t get them the ball.

I like Minshew as a backup or in a pinch but again, if Jags are top 2-3, it should be a QB.

Minshew after 5 games

69.9% pass completion, 1,439 yds, 10 TD's, 4 INT and a QB rating of 99.4

Those are pretty damn good. If the whole 53 was putting up that kind of performance...

(10-15-2020, 04:00 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Minshew after 5 games

Those are pretty damn good. If the whole 53 was putting up that kind of performance...

It's not bad... but it's the stuff the stats aren't showing that are giving us pause.

How much better could those stats be if he was hitting open guys instead of scrambling unnecessarily or taking sacks?

He still has some games to prove it to us. But every week we lose puts us a step closer to Trevor Lawrence or some other QB if we're picking top 5.

(10-15-2020, 04:16 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 04:00 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Minshew after 5 games

It's not bad... but it's the stuff the stats aren't showing that are giving us pause.

How much better could those stats be if he was hitting open guys instead of scrambling unnecessarily or taking sacks?

He still has some games to prove it to us. But every week we lose puts us a step closer to Trevor Lawrence or some other QB if we're picking top 5.

I'm all in on Minshew and I'm trying to focus on what hes doing right but he definitely has had some mistakes and plays he would have back. As good as those stats seem we are 1-3. 

As much as I'm rooting for him and I feel for him having to carry an awful D, no kickers and awful coaches but if we are picking top 5, it's tough to argue against going QB.