Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gardner has multiple injuries in his throwing hand

(10-29-2020, 06:33 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 06:15 PM)mal234 Wrote: The first Texans game a few weeks ago.

When you watch it is where he is shaking his hand and rolling his shoulder.  Announcers thought he got a shoulder sting or something.

(10-29-2020, 06:58 PM)Jags Wrote: Makes sense.  I figured it was a week or so ago when some guy on some team (idk, who really paid that much attention?) knocked the ball out of his hands while he was attempting to pass.  At the time it looked like it would hurt, but more so hurt the elbow or possibly shoulder.  I think it was ruled a fumble.  Figured it happend then.

I think it may have happened in the the fourth quarter of the Texans game. Someone had posted it on Twitter, but I can't find the video right now. If I find it, I will post it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Play Luton.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2020, 08:16 PM by D6.)

(10-29-2020, 06:58 PM)Jags Wrote: Makes sense.  I figured it was a week or so ago when some guy on some team (idk, who really paid that much attention?) knocked the ball out of his hands while he was attempting to pass.  At the time it looked like it would hurt, but more so hurt the elbow or possibly shoulder.  I think it was ruled a fumble.  Figured it happend then.

I think that the play you are referring to was the one late in the 2nd QTR against Lions in which Trey Flowers stripped the ball from Gardner Minshew's hand, with Romeo Okwara making the fumble recovery.  

I just looked at the replays of the play again. As Minshew's hand was coming forward following the fumble, his hand made contact with Da'Shawn Hand.  It was evident that Minshew was in discomfort.  

Even if as reported the injury occurred in Houston the previous week, the contact that Minshew made with Hand easily could have made the injury harder to manage for the rest of the game.

There's no way the coaching staff didn't know to what extent his injuries were. They had to see that garbage every day at practice, and I'm sure they could tell he was in some degree off pain. I guess they figured that "hurt Minshew" was better than no Minshew. Doesn't look like it helped that much to keep him in.

Play Luton and put Minshew back in when healthy. Shew has the rest of this year to audition to be the future.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Here we go .....it was all injury. Sign that man to a Mahomes like contract.

It makes sense because there has been a complete 180 from the first few games. I thought they were just coaching him to get the ball out before the pressure came, but now probably was because he didn't want to take a hit.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

It sounds like a minor injury... he has been throwing the ball the same as earlier in the season. His problems on the field have been holding on to the ball too long and some poor decision-making. His throwing and arm strength have not changed much. If he can throw it, he will play next week. If he wants some time to heal up, he will start when he gets back.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Yeah as really hope that he can really be the QB he needs to be. But really need to start building the team around him.
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

Minshew deserves a healthy shot. I don’t give a damn I’d he’s not up to y’all’s standards. He may not be an NFL starter, But he’s a damn fine QB IMO. Let him get his rest and then finish the season out. He’s earned it.

(10-30-2020, 12:22 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: It sounds like a minor injury... he has been throwing the ball the same as earlier in the season.  His problems on the field have been holding on to the ball too long and some poor decision-making.  His throwing and arm strength have not changed much.  If he can throw it, he will play next week.  If he wants some time to heal up, he will start when he gets back.

That's not true, his first couple of games this year he was very accurate and was putting the ball where it needed to be. It may not be the only issue but many of us were wondering why he seemed to tail off so badly after the 3rd game or so.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Yeah he was looking like Jeff Garcia with the Bucs the first two games. Then he started looking like Danny Wuerfell with the Redskins. Hand injury might explain it.

Shame on the coaches for not putting a backup in so he could have time to recover.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(10-30-2020, 06:15 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 12:22 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: It sounds like a minor injury... he has been throwing the ball the same as earlier in the season.  His problems on the field have been holding on to the ball too long and some poor decision-making.  His throwing and arm strength have not changed much.  If he can throw it, he will play next week.  If he wants some time to heal up, he will start when he gets back.

That's not true, his first couple of games this year he was very accurate and was putting the ball where it needed to be. It may not be the only issue but many of us were wondering why he seemed to tail off so badly after the 3rd game or so.

Exactly. Minshew has his faults, but one of his biggest strengths has always been accuracy. One of the reasons we loved his ball placement post Blake. He could hit guys where it needed to be. 

The fact that the last couple weeks his was missing wide open guys a lot makes a lot more sense now.

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2020, 11:54 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-30-2020, 08:56 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 06:15 AM)hb1148 Wrote: That's not true, his first couple of games this year he was very accurate and was putting the ball where it needed to be. It may not be the only issue but many of us were wondering why he seemed to tail off so badly after the 3rd game or so.

Exactly. Minshew has his faults, but one of his biggest strengths has always been accuracy. One of the reasons we loved his ball placement post Blake. He could hit guys where it needed to be. 

The fact that the last couple weeks his was missing wide open guys a lot makes a lot more sense now.

Well, we will agree to disagree.  The first 2 games he played well. But the Miami and Cincinnati games (before he apparently injured his thumb) were almost as bad as his last 2 games against Detroit and LA... he was missing guys then too and most of his yards came on check downs with YAC.  He played average against Houston imo.  If he thought he couldn't throw, he wouldn't have put himself out there the last 2 games.  He didn't even get treatment for his thumb from the medical staff (hence, he was not on the injury report), telling me it wasn't that big of an issue. He never missed a practice.  He might not even miss a game for this.  But we will see.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(10-30-2020, 06:15 AM)hb1148 Wrote:

(10-30-2020, 08:56 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 06:15 AM)hb1148 Wrote: That's not true, his first couple of games this year he was very accurate and was putting the ball where it needed to be. It may not be the only issue but many of us were wondering why he seemed to tail off so badly after the 3rd game or so.

There was a clear change after the Miami game. I remember him appearing to hit his hand at one point, I think it was in the Miami game. He went from moving around in the pocket and escaping to all of a sudden throwing the ball up at the 1st sign of trouble. Then he was all over the place with the accuracy. The play calls also seemed different but could also be issues with him trying to avoid hits.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2020, 10:49 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-31-2020, 12:49 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 08:56 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Exactly. Minshew has his faults, but one of his biggest strengths has always been accuracy. One of the reasons we loved his ball placement post Blake. He could hit guys where it needed to be. 

There was a clear change after the Miami game. I remember him appearing to hit his hand at one point, I think it was in the Miami game. He went from moving around in the pocket and escaping to all of a sudden throwing the ball up at the 1st sign of trouble. Then he was all over the place with the accuracy. The play calls also seemed different but could also be issues with him trying to avoid hits.

The report said the minor injury occurred at the end of the Texans game.  He did not have the thumb injury for Miami and Cincy, and most of the Texans game.  He was playing poorly before, and its just continued.  Some people are building excuses for him, that's fine. But it was happening before.

(10-31-2020, 10:49 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 12:49 AM)p_rushing Wrote: There was a clear change after the Miami game. I remember him appearing to hit his hand at one point, I think it was in the Miami game. He went from moving around in the pocket and escaping to all of a sudden throwing the ball up at the 1st sign of trouble. Then he was all over the place with the accuracy. The play calls also seemed different but could also be issues with him trying to avoid hits.

The report said the minor injury occurred at the end of the Texans game.  He did not have the thumb injury for Miami and Cincy, and most of the Texans game.  He was playing poorly before, and its just continued.  Some people are building excuses for him, that's fine. But it was happening before.

I agree. I guess Luton isn't better but i don't believe that. Coach issues IMO. Political office crap.

(10-30-2020, 02:02 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Minshew deserves a healthy shot. I don’t give a damn I’d he’s not up to y’all’s standards. He may not be an NFL starter, But he’s a damn fine QB IMO. Let him get his rest and then finish the season out. He’s earned it.

How can he be both not a starter and a damn fine qb?

I've been wondering what the heck has been going on with him after looking so good his first 14-15 games in the league... The past few weeks he's been off.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2020, 01:24 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-01-2020, 12:14 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: I've been wondering what the heck has been going on with him after looking so good his first 14-15 games in the league... The past few weeks he's been off.

His QBR last season was 44.6, or about 10 points worse than this season.  His Passer rating was also lower last year.  Not sure what 14-15 games you think he was "looking so good".  Maybe 2-3 games last season, and the first 2 games this year I thought he played well, but its been much more below average than above.  I think we were all just surprised a 6th round pick was a decent player, but he has been a below average NFL QB up to this point. Solid back up, but NOT a franchise QB in this League.