Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Antifi attacks democrat center now

(11-09-2020, 08:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 08:31 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I dunno. Civility ended in the 60s. There was a lot of unrest. Moreso than now. I'm sure everyone thought that wasn't going to ever end... yet, eventually, it did.

That's the thing about time and history.. everyone thinks THEIR moment is the most important, the hardest hit, the worst thing ever....

But back then law-abiding black people were attacked with hoses, dogs, nightsticks and nonstop violence for nothing. Now, when SOME black people deserve it, it's somehow called racism.

There were a lot of protests and riots in the late 1960s, yes, but the Presidents and congressmen were very respectful even as all that went on.
The two big figures of escalating disrespect were Newt Gingrich and Donald Trump.  Obama was respectful in his tone and his choice of words, however, he left no room for dissent in his policy prescriptions, and that's disrespectful too.
Pretty much all the other Presidents and leaders of Congress over my life would just needle their opponents.  Ridicule, yes, but usually in a way that invited give and take.  Trump and Gingrich were too offensive and demonized too much.  While Obama didn't respect the process of conversation and negotiation.

This is getting embarrassing.  Cambridge police, Michael brown, Freddy gray and had BLM @ The whitehouse.  

Who needs the nutmeg now, brother.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-11-2020, 03:01 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 08:59 PM)mikesez Wrote: There were a lot of protests and riots in the late 1960s, yes, but the Presidents and congressmen were very respectful even as all that went on.
The two big figures of escalating disrespect were Newt Gingrich and Donald Trump.  Obama was respectful in his tone and his choice of words, however, he left no room for dissent in his policy prescriptions, and that's disrespectful too.
Pretty much all the other Presidents and leaders of Congress over my life would just needle their opponents.  Ridicule, yes, but usually in a way that invited give and take.  Trump and Gingrich were too offensive and demonized too much.  While Obama didn't respect the process of conversation and negotiation.

This is getting embarrassing.  Cambridge police, Michael brown, Freddy gray and had BLM @ The whitehouse.  

These are shades of gray.
No, Obama tone and choice of words weren't perfectly respectful all the time.
No, Trump wasn't disrespectful all the time.
But let's not miss the forest for the trees here.
Trump was much less respectful than Obama was, in many more situations.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-11-2020, 10:59 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 03:01 AM)jj82284 Wrote: This is getting embarrassing.  Cambridge police, Michael brown, Freddy gray and had BLM @ The whitehouse.  

These are shades of gray.
No, Obama tone and choice of words weren't perfectly respectful all the time.
No, Trump wasn't disrespectful all the time.
But let's not miss the forest for the trees here.
Trump was much less respectful than Obama was, in many more situations.

Respectful or just talking out both sides of his mouth... ya know.. being a politician?

(This post was last modified: 11-11-2020, 11:45 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(11-09-2020, 09:20 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Ron DeSantis 2024?

This qualifies as "Anybody But Trump" so he'd get a lot of consideration from the left-center Dems like me.

(11-11-2020, 11:44 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 09:20 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Ron DeSantis 2024?

This qualifies as "Anybody But Trump" so he'd get a lot of consideration from the left-center Dems like me.

I'm curious what the national mood will be in 4 years. The midterm elections will be an accurate bellwether and about who a possible candidate could be, unless the Republicans screw the pooch. 

I supported Trump but I could easily understand those who didn't. It's a mystery who the candidate will be but it's going to have to be someone pugnacious and with a thick skin like Trump because they'll be opposed by the DNC and the MSM (same thing really). They'll definitely have to find a candidate that is a little more judicious in expression.

(This post was last modified: 11-11-2020, 12:17 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(11-11-2020, 12:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 11:44 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: This qualifies as "Anybody But Trump" so he'd get a lot of consideration from the left-center Dems like me.

I'm curious what the national mood will be in 4 years. The midterm elections will be an accurate bellwether and about who a possible candidate could be, unless the Republicans screw the pooch. 

I supported Trump but I could easily understand those who didn't. It's a mystery who the candidate will be but it's going to have to be someone pugnacious and with a thick skin like Trump because they'll be opposed by the DNC and the MSM (same thing really). They'll definitely have to find a candidate that is a little more judicious in expression.

Should be interesting.  I'd have to say Rubio, DeSantis, Ted Cruz, Nikki Haley, and even perhaps Trump will be back in the mix.  Santorum has kept his profile visible on CNN as well.  Kanye West may be another option if he changes his party affiliation --- the GOP seems to like him and Kim (VP/First Lady) a lot.

Heck, I'm not even convinced Biden seeks re-election in 2024 so it may get interesting on the DEM side as well.

Regarding mid-terms, the voter turnout on the Dem side will be much lower so I don't see the balance changing as the GOP keeps the Senate.

(11-11-2020, 12:16 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 12:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm curious what the national mood will be in 4 years. The midterm elections will be an accurate bellwether and about who a possible candidate could be, unless the Republicans screw the pooch. 

Should be interesting.  I'd have to say Rubio, DeSantis, Ted Cruz, Nikki Haley, and even perhaps Trump will be back in the mix.  Santorum has kept his profile visible on CNN as well.  Kanye West may be another option if he changes his party affiliation --- the GOP seems to like him and Kim (VP/First Lady) a lot.

Heck, I'm not even convinced Biden seeks re-election in 2024 so it may get interesting on the DEM side as well.

Regarding mid-terms, the voter turnout on the Dem side will be much lower so I don't see the balance changing as the GOP keeps the Senate.

I'm in the belief that it will be a dark horse candidate. Someone not ensconced, or long established, in the political arena. Trotting out the same old politician with the same old baggage with the same old instinctual habit of courting the MSM for favorable treatment isn't going to cut it anymore with devoted Republican voters. Donald Trump changed that paradigm. Where I do see Trump contributing in the next election will be as point man in the candidate's pushback against the MSM because that, forevermore, is an element of any serious Republican campaign.

I agree whole-heartedly on your next two points. If Biden does manage to finish this term, he will be an exhausted shell. By then Republicans will be emboldened by positive midterm results.

(11-11-2020, 05:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 12:16 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Should be interesting.  I'd have to say Rubio, DeSantis, Ted Cruz, Nikki Haley, and even perhaps Trump will be back in the mix.  Santorum has kept his profile visible on CNN as well.  Kanye West may be another option if he changes his party affiliation --- the GOP seems to like him and Kim (VP/First Lady) a lot.

I'm in the belief that it will be a dark horse candidate. Someone not ensconced, or long established, in the political arena. Trotting out the same old politician with the same old baggage with the same old instinctual habit of courting the MSM for favorable treatment isn't going to cut it anymore with devoted Republican voters. Donald Trump changed that paradigm. Where I do see Trump contributing in the next election will be as point man in the candidate's pushback against the MSM because that, forevermore, is an element of any serious Republican campaign.

I agree whole-heartedly on your next two points. If Biden does manage to finish this term, he will be an exhausted shell. By then Republicans will be emboldened by positive midterm results.

DeSantis has shown how to convey spite and skepticism towards the media without actually crossing the line into bald faced lying like Trump does. Many in the Senate have also mastered that art. 

I can't see Trump playing kingmaker.  He's too narcissistic and too flaky. He might endorse a guy one day, and then insult him the next day.

I'm not optimistic for the Republican party.  I think Trump was a one-off.  but, just like I think any Republican could have beaten hillary, I also think any Republican can beat Kamala.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-11-2020, 06:49 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 05:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm in the belief that it will be a dark horse candidate. Someone not ensconced, or long established, in the political arena. Trotting out the same old politician with the same old baggage with the same old instinctual habit of courting the MSM for favorable treatment isn't going to cut it anymore with devoted Republican voters. Donald Trump changed that paradigm. Where I do see Trump contributing in the next election will be as point man in the candidate's pushback against the MSM because that, forevermore, is an element of any serious Republican campaign.

DeSantis has shown how to convey spite and skepticism towards the media without actually crossing the line into bald faced lying like Trump does. Many in the Senate have also mastered that art. 

I can't see Trump playing kingmaker.  He's too narcissistic and too flaky. He might endorse a guy one day, and then insult him the next day.

I'm not optimistic for the Republican party.  I think Trump was a one-off.  but, just like I think any Republican could have beaten hillary, I also think any Republican can beat Kamala.

I didn't say Trump would be kingmaker.