Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This division is so far from contention...

Quote:There is no "right time" to get hot. You have to start the year hot and stay there.

You are as wrong as wrong can be. You are even more wrong than that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:There is no "right time" to get hot. You have to start the year hot and stay there.
No....Just no.

Of course teams would love to play strong from start to finish but the important part is to finish.

the chiefs lost 5 of their 6 first games then went undefeated the rest of the regular season and up to the divisional game last year.

Quote:Correct.

Ravens too (although they were the #3 or #4 seed,, they had to do the playoffs on the road after the WC game @Denver @NE).

Getting a bye-week and some home-field advantage games is still preferred. But, you're right. It seems that what matters most is just getting into the playoffs. If a team has been playing well, and gets "hot" at the right time, they can go all the way regardless of how the regular season records went.

AFCS Division champ is guaranteed at least a #3 or #4 seed home game, just like the Ravens Superbowl team.

Just get in.

The 2012 Ravens are indeed a great example of this.   Probably what led to them getting back on track and eventually going on to win the Super Bowl was promoting Jim Caldwell to Offensive Coordinator in place of Cam Cameron. 

Quote:The road team on Thursday night is always going to be behind the 8 ball.  Couple that with having to play a well coached team who has had the same system in place for well over a decade and even with Brissett at QB it was going to be a tall order for the Texans to come out of there with a win.  It's not like Brock has proven anything yet.  Let's not jump to conclusions so quickly about how the division is going to shake out against the conference in week 3.

Most teams lay an egg from time to time unless you have Belichick as your coach.  Must be nice.  The Texans absolutely laid an egg tonight, I just wouldn't rush to judgement about anyone in the AFC South just yet.

It's also getting overlooked that the Texans had no tape on Brissett to figure out his tendencies and how to stop him. If Brissett were to keep playing, teams would eventually gather tape on him and would probably figure out a way to limit him. Rookies often have this advantage in their very first start. Just look at last year how Mariota torched an unsuspecting but good Bucs defense week one. After that game, teams had a better feel for Mariota and he never since came anywhere close to repeating that performance.

'02

The AFC South is arguably the worst division in football.

Houston looked bad but the Pats would have put up 47 on the Jags... so.... yeah..... Houston isn't bad.

Indy has no defense... Andrew Luck is hit or miss each week... The clots are mediocre this year. Andrew Luck should just retire.

Tennessee is a mess.. they have some play makers, but they are poorly coached and don't know how to win...  they might be one of the Jags few wins...

The Jaguars are the worst of the bunch.. They still play like a bunch or rookies... no cohesiveness and bad coaching... better gel quick.. the Ravens want revenge for last years fluke ending.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:The AFC South is arguably the worst division in football.

Houston looked bad but the Pats would have put up 47 on the Jags... so.... yeah..... Houston isn't bad.

Indy has no defense... Andrew Luck is hit or miss each week... The clots are mediocre this year. Andrew Luck should just retire.

Tennessee is a mess.. they have some play makers, but they are poorly coached and don't know how to win...  they might be one of the Jags few wins...

The Jaguars are the worst of the bunch.. They still play like a bunch or rookies... no cohesiveness and bad coaching... better gel quick.. the Ravens want revenge for last years fluke ending.

The AFCS definitely is the worst of the divisions and if it weren't for the Manning lead colts of the last decade it would have always been a division of dregs. Would the division winner of the AFCS manage to win any of the other divisions since Manning left? I know some colts homer will say their 2014 team could compete, but honestly I don't think they look nearly as good without getting six free gimme wins against the AFCS.

Quote:Wrong, wrong, wrong.

You want your team playing it's best football at the end of the season and the playoffs.

Teams have to start playing their best football in Week 1.

Quote:Teams have to start playing their best football in Week 1.

A number of teams with 0-2 records,  let alone 0-1 records,  went on to win NFL Championships/  Super Bowls.  

Quote:No....Just no.

Of course teams would love to play strong from start to finish but the important part is to finish.

Finishing strong is the most important part after you play well enough early on to still be in playoff contention. 

Quote:A number of teams with 0-2 records, let alone 0-1 records, went on to win NFL Championships/Super Bowls.  

For that reason I could not believe people were saying last week 0-2 teams have only a 12% chance of making the playoffs.

Quote:A number of teams with 0-2 records,  let alone 0-1 records,  went on to win NFL Championships/  Super Bowls.

what SB champ started 0-2?

Quote:The AFCS definitely is the worst of the divisions and if it weren't for the Manning lead colts of the last decade it would have always been a division of dregs. Would the division winner of the AFCS manage to win any of the other divisions since Manning left? I know some colts homer will say their 2014 team could compete, but honestly I don't think they look nearly as good without getting six free gimme wins against the AFCS.

Andrew Luck led the Colts to an AFC Championship Game. They lost big because it was at New England. Luck was in the playoffs every year until last season IIRC. So no, it was not all Peyton Manning. Now the Colts suck and make the division look worse than it was as recently as two years ago, when Houston won the AFCS and Indianapolis was a wild card team.

Obviously I am not a Colts homer, just pointing out "one of the worst divisions" has only been true for 12 months.

Quote:what SB champ started 0-2?

Two that come to mind are the 1993 Cowboys.  That's the season Emmitt Smith held out the first 2 games. 

The other one was the 2007 Giants.   Their Defense was smoked in the first 2 games.  After losing the opener in Dallas,  they didn't lose on the road again the entire season.   Including a playoff win against the top NFC seeded Cowboys. 

Quote:For that reason I could not believe people were saying last week 0-2 teams have only a 12% chance of making the playoffs.

It's not easy overcoming an 0-2 start but it's been done. 

A few teams made the playoffs after starting out 0-3,  including the 1995 Lions.  

The 1992 Chargers coached by Bobby Ross were 0-4 before rebounding with a playoff season.  

The team in the biggest hole that I recall off the top of my head that made the playoffs was the 1970 Bengals.  They started out that season 1-6 before winning their last 7 games in a 14 game season and the AFC Central Title.   Another reason why I believe Paul Brown ranks with the best HCs in the history of Pro Football.

Considering we he the top 3 worst coaches (Bradley, Pagano, and Mularkey) in the league, I'm not surprised.

Quote:Considering we he the top 3 worst coaches (Bradley, Pagano, and Mularkey) in the league, I'm not surprised.

Amazing you can have a career winning percentage of .641 in the NFL and be considered worst in the league. It's line you think winning is simple.

Quote:Amazing you can have a career winning percentage of .641 in the NFL and be considered worst in the league. It's line you think winning is simple.

Who has a .641 career winning percentage?

Quote:Who has a .641 career winning percentage?

Chuck Pagano

Here's something to consider.  Next week is a divisional match up, Indianapolis @ Jaguars* and Tennessee @ Houston.  (The asterisk is because the "home" game for Jacksonville is in London).

Say both Jacksonville and Houston win.  Houston would lead the division at 3-1 while it would be a 3 way tie for second at 1-3.  Being down 2 games to the division leader after week 4 can be over come.  The question is, which team will do it?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.