Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This is why I hate the national sports media

(12-21-2020, 10:51 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Nick Wright ? LOL

Has he ever lifted a dumb bell? Has he ever smelled a pair of cleats ? He tries to talk football with Cris Carter but it’s like listening to my sister discuss football with my Mom.

Which one is Cris Carter in this scenario?  Sister or Mom?  Tongue

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-22-2020, 04:58 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 01:43 AM)Steve Wrote: According to this video Trevor Lawrence going to Jacksonville is bad business for the media and NFL... but the bright spot is the Jags are moving to London soon.

Really silly. Wouldn’t a good NFL business guy recognize that bringing an afterthought franchise into a relevance does more for the NFL revenues in NET, than a team already in the largest media market that will always have a giant cache of fans and interest.

Basically a contender Jags and mediocre Jets in 5 years probably makes more NET profit than a contender Jets and mediocre Jags.

Plus these two are NBA guys. They barely know any football.

Their job is to keep viewers watching the ads that surround their blathering. The easiest way to do that is to either toss out garbage taeks that gets everyone talking, or just parrot what the audience thinks so that they feel vindicated. The only pro-Jax opinions are going to be in the 904. Their target demographic is not the savvy businessperson finding a new way to increase revenue, it's the guy in rural PA that thinks tarp jokes are topical.

(12-22-2020, 01:43 AM)Steve Wrote: According to this video Trevor Lawrence going to Jacksonville is bad business for the media and NFL... but the bright spot is the Jags are moving to London soon.

No way they are moving unless they have an ADJUSTED CAP for that team. The tax rates in London would cut disposable income for those players.  The top rate of federal income tax is 35% in the USA, and they only start to pay that if they earn more than $398,100 in a year – compared with 50% tax in the UK if you earn more than £150,000. To this add
Value-added tax (VAT) is a 20% sales tax levied on most goods in the UK. Visitors can get a reprieve from this, but then if the team moved they would not be visitors, now would they.  I can't see they players taking this kind of hit personally.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(12-22-2020, 11:48 AM)Jag149 Wrote:

No way they are moving unless they have an ADJUSTED CAP for that team. The tax rates in London would cut disposable income for those players.  The top rate of federal income tax is 35% in the USA, and they only start to pay that if they earn more than $398,100 in a year – compared with 50% tax in the UK if you earn more than £150,000. To this add
Value-added tax (VAT) is a 20% sales tax levied on most goods in the UK. Visitors can get a reprieve from this, but then if the team moved they would not be visitors, now would they.  I can't see they players taking this kind of hit personally.

Any football team moving to London has always been an untenable argument, but disgruntled fans and talking media heads looking to fill hours of air time have glommed onto it as a thing.

(12-22-2020, 12:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 11:48 AM)Jag149 Wrote: No way they are moving unless they have an ADJUSTED CAP for that team. The tax rates in London would cut disposable income for those players.  The top rate of federal income tax is 35% in the USA, and they only start to pay that if they earn more than $398,100 in a year – compared with 50% tax in the UK if you earn more than £150,000. To this add

Any football team moving to London has always been an untenable argument, but disgruntled fans and talking media heads looking to fill hours of air time have glommed onto it as a thing.

I could see another US city making a play once the lease is up in Jacksonville... maybe the St. Louis Jaguars? 

At the end of the day if something like that happened- I would blame the product produced...not that it will matter.

(12-22-2020, 12:24 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 12:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Any football team moving to London has always been an untenable argument, but disgruntled fans and talking media heads looking to fill hours of air time have glommed onto it as a thing.

I could see another US city making a play once the lease is up in Jacksonville... maybe the St. Louis Jaguars? 

At the end of the day if something like that happened- I would blame the product produced...not that it will matter.

Or San Diego. 

If this stupid team would start winning, maybe a stadium upgrade could be discussed. We need a dome so bad. Winning cures all.

(12-21-2020, 10:51 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Nick Wright ? LOL

Has he ever lifted a dumb bell? Has he ever smelled a pair of cleats ? He tries to talk football with Cris Carter but it’s like listening to my sister discuss football with my Mom.

Nick Wright?  Never heard of him.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I have thought about moving to the North East for work a few times. It is really fun to visit NYC and see the sites and culture. The food is out of this world and the bars/ entertainment options are great.

The weather sucks for half the year though, and the press of people/ buildings/ traffic is stifling. Some people thrive in that environment, but eventually it would burn me out and make for a miserable experience.

Personally, I've always thought Nashville, New Orleans, Tampa or Charlotte would be the best landing spots. Big enough to be fun, but not so big that it chokes you out. Great weather for most of the year as well.

(12-22-2020, 12:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 11:48 AM)Jag149 Wrote: No way they are moving unless they have an ADJUSTED CAP for that team. The tax rates in London would cut disposable income for those players.  The top rate of federal income tax is 35% in the USA, and they only start to pay that if they earn more than $398,100 in a year – compared with 50% tax in the UK if you earn more than £150,000. To this add

Agreed. If any team moved to London, it would be very difficult to lure free agents who are willing to move out of the USA. Not to mention the constant traveling back and forth for games. Talk about jet lag! It's one thing to play a game or two where you might have to travel from the east to the west coast, but to travel internationally for 8 out of 16 weeks? That is definitely something I wouldn't wanna do. Trades would be tricky as well. Undoubtedly, you'd see times where players traded to London would refuse to go, based on the logistics of what I just said. You're right. The taxes would be a nightmare as well. I just don't see how this would work. If something happens where the team is moved, I could only see them moving to another city within the U.S. There is just too many variables at play to move a team internationally.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 02:53 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-22-2020, 02:23 PM)rufftime Wrote: I have thought about moving to the North East for work a few times.  It is really fun to visit NYC and see the sites and culture.  The food is out of this world and the bars/ entertainment options are great.

The weather sucks for half the year though, and the press of people/ buildings/ traffic is stifling.  Some people thrive in that environment, but eventually it would burn me out and make for a miserable experience.

Personally, I've always thought Nashville, New Orleans, Tampa or Charlotte would be the best landing spots.  Big enough to be fun, but not so big that it chokes you out.  Great weather for most of the year as well.

Personally, I could never see myself living in any big city. I would hate it. I was born and raised in a small, rural town and I like it just fine. I don't have to deal with crowds of people, the crime rate is low and I despise traffic. I'm more into nature. If someone put a gun to my head, the largest city I'd ever consider moving to would be Billings, Montana. I'm not much into culture or sight seeing and I don't go out to restaurants much unless it's a holiday or someone's birthday. I would like to live somewhere further south, because I hate Ohio winters. They can be brutal and I despise cold weather. Different people like different things though and that's just fine by me.

I'd like to be a sunbird; live in upstate NY during the summer months and return in the winter. Then they could complain about 'all those damned Floridians invading during the summer months'.

Florida is okay until about late June, then the heat and humidity slog begins.

(12-22-2020, 03:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'd like to be a sunbird; live in upstate NY during the summer months and return in the winter. Then they could complain about 'all those damned Floridians invading during the summer months'.

Ahh the dog days, heat and humidity. I have had a few "Yankees" move down. They Always complain about that time of year. Just tell them like I do. You get used to it ... the first 40 years are the worst ..all good after that...Wink
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 07:28 PM by Jags.)

(12-22-2020, 03:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'd like to be a sunbird; live in upstate NY during the summer months and return in the winter. Then they could complain about 'all those damned Floridians invading during the summer months'.

Holy cow!  I moved down I ‘99 when I was 18.  Never heard the term “snow bird” until I arrived.   Considering how how and nasty it got down here (keeping in mind I work in it) I always thought a snow bird was a person or couple that lived in Fl and  went up north for winter.  You seem to be a smart man.  So I won’t question it.   I just thought a snowbird retreated from the harsh winters up north and had relatively nice temps in the winter months while not sweating their [BLEEP] off walking into the grocery store from their car in summer.  That being said, it’s 51.7 degrees outside at my house.  I have a nice rip roaring fire going in the fire pit on the patio .  It’s cold as balls out here!

And late June, your absolutely right.  Working outside is fine until then up to the point “winter” decides to happen.  Usually around November

Please keep posting different videos that you find of media people melting down that the lowly, insignificant Jaguars are two losses away from getting the most impactful draft pick in the last near decade. It warms my heart to see their anger.

(12-22-2020, 10:06 PM)Upper Wrote: Please keep posting different videos that you find of media people melting down that the lowly, insignificant Jaguars are two losses away from getting the most impactful draft pick in the last near decade. It warms my heart to see their anger.

I'm telling you, it'll be great to see the heads explode.  Does ESPN cut to commercial for the top overall pick, or do they actually talk about Jacksonville willingly?

Colin Cowherd hates small market teams.  He has admitted as much.  But he has also been big on excellence.

Does he continue to hate on Jacksonville because it's not big enough of a market for him, or if Trevor Lawrence is as good as advertised, does he laud the team for having an excellent QB?

If Lawrence is as good as advertised and Jacksonville reaches the Super Bowl with him, would the media openly root against us?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(12-22-2020, 10:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 10:06 PM)Upper Wrote: Please keep posting different videos that you find of media people melting down that the lowly, insignificant Jaguars are two losses away from getting the most impactful draft pick in the last near decade. It warms my heart to see their anger.

I'm telling you, it'll be great to see the heads explode.  Does ESPN cut to commercial for the top overall pick, or do they actually talk about Jacksonville willingly?

Colin Cowherd hates small market teams.  He has admitted as much.  But he has also been big on excellence.

Does he continue to hate on Jacksonville because it's not big enough of a market for him, or if Trevor Lawrence is as good as advertised, does he laud the team for having an excellent QB?

If Lawrence is as good as advertised and Jacksonville reaches the Super Bowl with him, would the media openly root against us?
There will be the 1st ever commercial break for the 1st round pick.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(12-22-2020, 10:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: If Lawrence is as good as advertised and Jacksonville reaches the Super Bowl with him, would the media openly root against us?

My guess is not openly. But if the Jags were to win, a lot of time and energy would be spent on explaining how the other team blew it.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-23-2020, 08:23 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 10:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: If Lawrence is as good as advertised and Jacksonville reaches the Super Bowl with him, would the media openly root against us?

My guess is not openly. But if the Jags were to win, a lot of time and energy would be spent on explaining how the other team blew it.

Pretty good guess.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

The Jaguars have a way of Jagging things up. The schadenfreude from the media if the Jags pull out a win in one of these last two games is going to be immense.

Khan really should be having Balke put everyone decent on injured reserve right now.

(12-22-2020, 10:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Why should anyone ever give a flip what Cowherd thinks and/or does? If nobody pays attention to his reaction, maybe, just maybe, he goes away for good!