Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Jaguars are now on the clock!

Over further review, yes I would take Trask. Wouldnt have to worry about spending 10+ mil on a good backup QB

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020, 09:05 AM by rfc17.)

(12-28-2020, 08:42 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Well he wouldn't play so no.  There is only 1 QB on the field, I wouldnt take a kicker or punter either.  There are rare instances you dont take the highest player which has been said numerous times.  95% of the time though you should take the BPA especially in the early rounds.  Drafting for need gets you fired

I don't agree with this.  Taven Bryan was a BAP, we didnt need a DT.  Leonard Fournette wasnt a need, he was the "BAP".  BAP makes sense if you know ahead of time how each player will turn out.  But you don't.  You are judging BAP based off of a best guess. 

Drafting is all about common sense.  Don't take a guy in the 1st round who has a 4th round grade because of need.  But dont skip a guy of desperate need with our Rams pick because he is only the 18th player on our board when the 13th best player (who isnt a need) is also on the board.  The difference between 13th and 18th is basically nothing.  And since you really don't know who will work out and who won't, you are better off taking the guy that will actually play.  Very possible neither live up to their draft status but may end up becoming an average serviceable player.  I'd rather have that guy filling a need than the guy who wouldnt see the field because we dont need him.  

I'd argue pure BAP only makes sense later in the draft when you are sitting there in the 6th round but a guy you have a 3rd round grade is still on the board.

(12-28-2020, 08:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Over further review, yes I would take Trask.  Wouldnt have to worry about spending 10+ mil on a good backup QB

If the difference between a pick who would be a backup QB and a pick who would be a starter is not very large, I would pick the guy who can actually start and help us win.  

The only way I would pick Trask is if the difference between him and the next best player is huge.  For example, on a scale of 1-10, if Trask is rated 8.2, and the next pick is a LT or CB who is rated 8.1, I would take the LT or CB.  Because when the difference is that small, you don't really know that Trask is the best available player.  It's a guess at that point.  Plus, he isn't going to play.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020, 09:23 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-28-2020, 09:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 08:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Over further review, yes I would take Trask.  Wouldnt have to worry about spending 10+ mil on a good backup QB

If the difference between a pick who would be a backup QB and a pick who would be a starter is not very large, I would pick the guy who can actually start and help us win.  

The only way I would pick Trask is if the difference between him and the next best player is huge.  For example, on a scale of 1-10, if Trask is rated 8.2, and the next pick is a LT or CB who is rated 8.1, I would take the LT or CB.  Because when the difference is that small, you don't really know that Trask is the best available player.  It's a guess at that point.  Plus, he isn't going to play.
But QB is the most important position.  If Trevor got hurt we would have a guy who could come right in and play.  Nothing wrong with having 2 really good QBs and he could also be used as trade bait later

(12-28-2020, 09:04 AM)rfc17 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 08:42 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Well he wouldn't play so no.  There is only 1 QB on the field, I wouldnt take a kicker or punter either.  There are rare instances you dont take the highest player which has been said numerous times.  95% of the time though you should take the BPA especially in the early rounds.  Drafting for need gets you fired

I don't agree with this.  Taven Bryan was a BAP, we didnt need a DT.  Leonard Fournette wasnt a need, he was the "BAP".  BAP makes sense if you know ahead of time how each player will turn out.  But you don't.  You are judging BAP based off of a best guess. 

Drafting is all about common sense.  Don't take a guy in the 1st round who has a 4th round grade because of need.  But dont skip a guy of desperate need with our Rams pick because he is only the 18th player on our board when the 13th best player (who isnt a need) is also on the board.  The difference between 13th and 18th is basically nothing.  And since you really don't know who will work out and who won't, you are better off taking the guy that will actually play.  Very possible neither live up to their draft status but may end up becoming an average serviceable player.  I'd rather have that guy filling a need than the guy who wouldnt see the field because we dont need him.  

I'd argue pure BAP only makes sense later in the draft when you are sitting there in the 6th round but a guy you have a 3rd round grade is still on the board.

I do think they had a high grade on Taven but I'm not buying he was the highest player in their board.  They knew they were about to get rid of Malik the following year so he was the guy to replace him.  I think BAP is more important in the early round rather than the later ones.

I keep hearing “if he declares”. Honest question because I don’t know how it works or watch college. If TL graduates/graduated this month, why or how would he decide to play again for Clemson? Go back get a Masters? They don’t actually let graduates tcontinue to play do they? That seems a bit strange to me.

(12-28-2020, 09:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 09:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If the difference between a pick who would be a backup QB and a pick who would be a starter is not very large, I would pick the guy who can actually start and help us win.  

But QB is the most important position.  If Trevor got hurt we would have a guy who could come right in and play.  Nothing wrong with having 2 really good QBs and he could also be used as trade bait later

(12-28-2020, 09:04 AM)rfc17 Wrote: I don't agree with this.  Taven Bryan was a BAP, we didnt need a DT.  Leonard Fournette wasnt a need, he was the "BAP".  BAP makes sense if you know ahead of time how each player will turn out.  But you don't.  You are judging BAP based off of a best guess. 

I do think they had a high grade on Taven but I'm not buying he was the highest player in their board.  They knew they were about to get rid of Malik the following year so he was the guy to replace him.  I think BAP is more important in the early round rather than the later ones.
So you’re going to be clamoring for Trask now? Even after the Jags draft Lawerence?

So rather than building a team around Lawerence to help him succeed (OLine and Playmakers), you would take Trask? 

If Trask is an 88 grade and there is an OLineman, WR or TE with an 87.... you pass on the QB.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020, 09:42 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-28-2020, 09:30 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 09:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: But QB is the most important position.  If Trevor got hurt we would have a guy who could come right in and play.  Nothing wrong with having 2 really good QBs and he could also be used as trade bait later

So you’re going to be clamoring for Trask now? Even after the Jags draft Lawerence?

So rather than building a team around Lawerence to help him succeed (OLine and Playmakers), you would take Trask? 

If Trask is an 88 grade and there is an OLineman, WR or TE with an 87.... you pass on the QB.
Youre the one that brought up Trask, not me.  QB is the most important position,  if you can have 2 franchise QBs and the QB is the highest rated player take him.  A lot of teams are paying 10+ mil for a good 2nd string QB.  If we did that we wouldn't have to and we would also have good trade bait for the future.  Go from no franchise QB to 2?  Im down.  Take the BAP

(12-28-2020, 09:30 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 09:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: But QB is the most important position.  If Trevor got hurt we would have a guy who could come right in and play.  Nothing wrong with having 2 really good QBs and he could also be used as trade bait later

If Zack Wilson fell to the 2nd you wouldn't take him?

I have Trask rated as the 2nd best QB and a top 10 pick so it would be a steal imo. I dont have a 2nd round grade on him

(12-28-2020, 09:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 09:30 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: So you’re going to be clamoring for Trask now? Even after the Jags draft Lawerence?

Youre the one that brought up Trask, not me.  QB is the most important position,  if you can have 2 franchise QBs and the QB is the highest rated player take him.  A lot of teams are paying 10+ mil for a good 2nd string QB.  If we did that we wouldn't have to and we would also have good trade bait for the future.  Go from no franchise QB to 2?  Im down.  Take the BAP

(12-28-2020, 09:30 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: So you’re going to be clamoring for Trask now? Even after the Jags draft Lawerence?

No. I wouldn’t.

In this hypothetical, you could just keep taking QBs because they’re the BAP. Lawerence, then Trask and then Wilson. Then what? 

If I’m taking Lawerence, I’m then surrounding him with elite talent. I’m going heavy on the OLine and Playmakers in this draft. I’m not drafting a backup QB that won’t contribute anything. Giving Lawerence a “maybe good” backup QB doesn’t help him or the team at all because if you truly believe in Lawerence, the backup QB is irrelevant. Just like every Peyton Manning and Tom Brady backup.

Drafting purely BAP is a dumb as drafting strictly for need. This team had a ton of holes and NEEDS to fix them. Drafting more than one starting QB is just pure stupid.

Minshew will be the teams backup.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020, 10:07 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-28-2020, 09:53 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 09:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Youre the one that brought up Trask, not me.  QB is the most important position,  if you can have 2 franchise QBs and the QB is the highest rated player take him.  A lot of teams are paying 10+ mil for a good 2nd string QB.  If we did that we wouldn't have to and we would also have good trade bait for the future.  Go from no franchise QB to 2?  Im down.  Take the BAP

No. I wouldn’t.

In this hypothetical, you could just keep taking QBs because they’re the BAP. Lawerence, then Trask and then Wilson. Then what? 

If I’m taking Lawerence, I’m then surrounding him with elite talent. I’m going heavy on the OLine and Playmakers in this draft. I’m not drafting a backup QB that won’t contribute anything. Giving Lawerence a “maybe good” backup QB doesn’t help him or the team at all because if you truly believe in Lawerence, the backup QB is irrelevant. Just like every Peyton Manning and Tom Brady backup.

That would be ideal, I want to give TL the best oline and playmakers as well.  But if a defender is the highest player on my board give me the defender. A great defense could help him out as well.  Let the draft come to you and don't reach for need

(12-28-2020, 10:01 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Drafting purely BAP is a dumb as drafting strictly for need.   This team had a ton of holes and NEEDS to fix them.  Drafting more than one starting QB is just pure stupid.

Minshew will be the teams backup.

I'm not so sure about that.  If we keep Minshew then u wouldn't take Trask, but if we will be looking for a backup QB Trask in the 2nd would be a steal and we could use that 10+ mil we would sign on a backup QB to help get Trent Williams

(12-28-2020, 10:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 09:53 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: No. I wouldn’t.

That would be ideal, I want to give TL the best oline and playmakers as well.  But if a defender is the highest player on my board give me the defender. A great defense could help him out as well.  Let the draft come to you and don't reach for need
But that’s not what you’re saying.....

So now you’ve switched from drafting Trask to possibly taking a defender?

Cleatwood, stop typing "Lawerence." It's LAWRENCE.

(12-28-2020, 10:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Cleatwood, stop typing "Lawerence."  It's LAWRENCE.
Hey grumpy. Get your covfefe first lol

LAWRENCE (so now my phone will autocorrect to that instead)

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020, 10:16 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-28-2020, 10:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 10:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That would be ideal, I want to give TL the best oline and playmakers as well.  But if a defender is the highest player on my board give me the defender. A great defense could help him out as well.  Let the draft come to you and don't reach for need
But that’s not what you’re saying.....

If we keep Minshew i wouldnt draft Trask, if we will be looking for a backup in FA I would rather draft Trask than spend 10+ mil on a FA QB that wouldn't be as good as Trask.  Like I said, there is rare instances you domt take BPA.  You are limiting your positions to "help TL" .  Taking the best player will help him and the team more than anything.

(12-28-2020, 10:12 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 10:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Cleatwood, stop typing "Lawerence."  It's LAWRENCE.
Hey grumpy. Get your covfefe first lol

You still upset for your baby Ramsey losing again last night?  Lol.

(12-28-2020, 10:13 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 10:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: But that’s not what you’re saying.....

If we keep Minshew i wouldnt draft Trask, if we will be looking for a backup in FA I would rather draft Trask than spend 10+ mil on a FA QB that wouldn't be as good as Trask.  Like I said, there is rare instances you domt take BPA.  You are limiting your positions to "help TL" .  Taking the best player will help him and the team more than anything.

(12-28-2020, 10:12 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hey grumpy. Get your covfefe first lol

It’s cute you think I’m upset and that I care about it the Rams.

It’s also not like the Rams lost because of Ramsey hahaha didn’t he shut down Metcalf again?

(12-28-2020, 10:21 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 10:13 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we keep Minshew i wouldnt draft Trask, if we will be looking for a backup in FA I would rather draft Trask than spend 10+ mil on a FA QB that wouldn't be as good as Trask.  Like I said, there is rare instances you domt take BPA.  You are limiting your positions to "help TL" .  Taking the best player will help him and the team more than anything.

It’s also not like the Rams lost because of Ramsey hahaha didn’t he shut down Metcalf again?

Metcalf was the Hawks leading WR even with Ramsey getting help

It's not BPA and it's not need, it's gotta be a combination of both.

Only time you only use BPA is if a major talent drops to your pick.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(12-28-2020, 10:21 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 10:13 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we keep Minshew i wouldnt draft Trask, if we will be looking for a backup in FA I would rather draft Trask than spend 10+ mil on a FA QB that wouldn't be as good as Trask.  Like I said, there is rare instances you domt take BPA.  You are limiting your positions to "help TL" .  Taking the best player will help him and the team more than anything.

I never said you care about the Rams, you care about your baby Ramsey.  The overrated player that quit on your team and faked injuries and the guy that got beat up by AJ Green and almost got beat up by Peters

(12-28-2020, 10:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 10:21 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: It’s cute you think I’m upset and that I care about it the Rams.

I never said you care about the Rams, you care about your baby Ramsey.  The overrated player that quit on your team and faked injuries and the guy that got beat up by AJ Green and almost got beat up by Peters
Good grief. It’s like talking to a wall.

Getting too old for this.